Westport House Sober Living for Men

162 Kings Highway North, Westport, Connecticut, 06880

4.2

About Westport House Sober Living for Men

SOBER LIVING IN CONNECTICUT
Individuals and family members will invariably face challenges as inpatient treatment ends and “life” begins. At Westport House, we understand how navigating living arrangements, careers, relationships, and other important areas of life can create unexpected obstacles that may threaten sobriety.
Because structure and support in early recovery can often increase the probability of long-term success, we offer three distinct levels of sober living in Westport, Connecticut. Each environment has been carefully designed to preserve the dignity and respect for the individual while acting as a launching pad to sobriety filled with new insights, living skills, and relationships with others in recovery.

Extended Care Sober Living for Young Men

Extended Care at Westport House is designed to support the recovery process for young adult men as they transition from a higher level of care – typically inpatient treatment – to an independent sober living environment. Extended care blends the transformational power of experiential activities, physical fitness & recreation, and local recovery community immersion with outpatient clinical services to establish a supportive environment in which young men can develop the life-skills and practical experience characteristic of individuals in long-term recovery.

Structured Sober Living

Sober Living at Westport House is a supportive residential community designed to help you navigate early sobriety, identifying challenges and sharing successes — while successfully reintegrating into the workplace and other commitments. It offers an opportunity to continue the work initiated in addiction treatment or extended care, continuing to address underlying issues while receiving support from a community of like-minded peers. For young men in particular, one of the greatest benefits of sober living at Westport House is the sense of community and connection. Sober living at Westport House is appropriate for individuals who have completed extended care or who may be new to recovery and have yet to fully ingrain the skills and habits indicative of a sobriety-focused lifestyle along with a local network of like-minded peers.

• Three Distinct Sober Living Environments for Men
  • Integrated Outpatient Services
  • Recovery Coaching

4.2/5
    4.4/5
    4.2/5
    4.1/5

• SCR
    The place is a dump only interested in your money.
  • Ryan
    Thanks to Westport house we have our son back! Can't say enough!
  • B.F.
    After being in and out of many different rehabs, it was at Westport House that I learned how to live a brand new life. The staff was kind, loving, and compassionate. They showed me the way up and out of the horrible rut I was in. They also helped my family understand addiction, and what they needed to do to help me, and themselves. The atmosphere is relaxed, comfortable, and the incredibly supportive! Being able to see their therapists and clinical team was also essential in aiding my recovery. I'm so grateful for the life Westport House gave me.
  • PF
    Having worked in this industry for years, specifically in community outreach, I know the challenges of finding quality sober living for those discharging from residential treatment. I work very closely with our continuing care team on where we send graduates of our program and I can say confidently that Westport House is at the top of our list. My team and I spend hours vetting SLE's all around the northeast and we are extremely particular in where we send our graduates. It is true, there are a lot of sober living homes and communities that are not well managed and operated, and some that are even unethical in their practices. I can say having personally worked with the Director and Westport House for over two and half years that we are 100% satisfied with their services. The owner is friendly, a good communicator, and very serious about maintaining a well run sober living home. We've had clients stay at Westport House and they've all expressed their satisfaction with us and shared their wins of living in such good homes. They are structured, well kept, and motivate their clients to engage in their community while also working on their continued recovery. He makes the process of enrolling people into his homes seamless, which is incredibly important. Transitioning from residential to sober living is a very crucial time in recovery. If you’ve been in this industry for a while, you recognize that you cannot help people who don’t want it and invariably family members will blame the facility and leave disparaging remarks on message boards but I cannot say enough about how great our experience has been with Westport House!!!
  • rf
    Westport House has given our family the relief we needed knowing that our son was at a place that will get him back on the right track. I can't say enough about what they've done and the progress our son has made since his admittance!
  • Mike
    I had a genuinely amazing experience living at Westport House, it had such a cozy feel and it's a very community-oriented home. Few clients came and went and I made plenty of long time friends living here. For the amount of people we had there was always reasonable storage and accommodation, not to mention the house was near everything in downtown Westport. They have their own IOP program and the therapists there are great. My case manager and the other house staff are some of the kindest and recovery-focused people I've known. Great if you're looking for sober housing temporarily and focus on work/school exclusively, structural rules helped keep me in order for sure. Definitely recommend for anyone needing a sober living.
  • KS
    Westport House saved my life!! After bouncing in and out of treatment for the better part of a decade, my family made the decision to have me participate in this sober living program following an inpatient stay in Pennsylvania. I was scared and completely put off by the idea of extended care, but the staff, environment, and camaraderie with housemates quickly changed my mindset. At Westport House I was able to develop and grow as a man and managed to secure my first real job. Upon graduation, I left as a confident, self-assured man in recovery. I can’t express my gratitude to the Westport House enough. I didn’t get my old life back, I got a new, much better life. Thanks to all you guys for helping me become the person I always hoped I could be!
  • BF
  • KF
    Overpriced, very poor care. Beware. Go elsewhere, send your son elsewhere. A true rip off.
    Official Response

KF, while we are disappointed to read your negative review, Westport House is prevented from acknowledging in any way whether an individual received services at our facility. This prevents us from responding to specifics, but we can say that Westport House does our utmost to provide every person we serve with the support, treatment and therapeutic environment to begin a lasting recovery. We do take all feedback on our services and facilities extremely seriously and would be happy to address specific feedback directly. If you — or anyone you know — would like to talk about the services we provide, please contact us at reviews@westporthouse.com.

• PC
    Care at the facility is poor, the cost is prohibitively high and much better care we found elsewhere.
    Official Response

PC - while we are disappointed to read your negative review, Westport House is prevented from acknowledging in any way whether an individual received services at our facility. This prevents us from responding to specifics, but we can say that Westport House does our utmost to provide every person we serve with the support, treatment and therapeutic environment to begin a lasting recovery. We do take all feedback on our services and facilities extremely seriously and would be happy to address specific feedback directly. If you — or anyone you know — would like to talk about the services we provide, please contact us at reviews@westporthouse.com.

• Craig
    The Westport House is and will always be remembered in my heart as the best Treatment / Recovery experience I have ever had -- My name is Craig and I am from Delray Beach , FL . From the time I was 14 years old I have always struggled with drugs and alcohol - The 1st time I went to rehab was at 19 years old (2004) -- In all the years of seeking help - I can honestly say this place provided the most well structured and client focused program.. It is rare to find a place where they actually care about people the way they do here . The staff , counselors and case managers will go the extra mile for each individual person and treat you like family -- Each client is treated as if they are the most important person in the program . The houses are spacious and clean and are presented with a warm and welcoming atmosphere -- Everything that I could possibly ask for to feel comfortable and ''at home'' are set up to feel as though you have finally found the right place -- Televisions in the bedrooms , large bathrooms and spacious bedrooms , clean and comfortable furniture and a warm and inviting aura -- Transportation is provided for 12 step meetings , daily gym memberships and employment -- The case workers are all greatly invested in each individual client so much that it feels as though they are family . If there is ever an issue - the staff and owners are always there to resolve and or meet any and all needs / requests expressed by the client . After my experience in Connecticut I can honestly say there are ''treatment centers'' and ''Rehabs'' - and then there is The Westport House - a significant difference from A-Z . I am truly , genuinely thankful for all they have done for me and would strongly suggest this as a number one pick over anywhere else . Much love to all of the staff and friends I had made along my journey with you all !! Thank you for allowing me the honor of being apart of this amazing program...
  • aaa
    they were dishonest and were very inconsistent with policies and procedures. mgt team was atrocious and believe was fired.
  • RB
    Westport House has been a great experience from start to finish; a place where the staff and my therapist Ava were extremely helpful, ready and willing to help assist me with any problem I had. With a very supportive and comfortable living environment, Westport House was truly a beautiful place to stay for as long as I needed. The weekly grocery shopping trips, while something I had never experienced before, made me feel like I was right at home. I initially arrived here depressed and hating life. I didn’t want to be here, I just wanted to go home, yet I am extremely glad to say I was able to leave Westport House with a heart full of happiness. I can say without a shadow of a doubt, Westport House has really changed my life, and I would recommend it to anyone seeking sober living.
  • VR
    i had the pleasure of working with her over the last year. She has gotten me through a relapse which was an extremely hard time for me. She assured me that this was just a bump in the road of sobriety and that i would be okay. If it weren’t for places like this and people like her, addicts like myself would never have made it this far. I am now eight months clean, and I owe a lot of my progress to her.
  • Genna
    I have a hard time putting into words the amount that the program director at this facility has done for my family and I over these last two years. It was a hard struggle, that took patience and determination on all ends. She repaired my family slowly, and helped me to see that the way I had been behaving my whole life wasn’t normal nor was it okay. She taught me how to live again, as a sober woman in recovery. I am forever grateful for what she has helped me accomplish and anywhere that she works is somewhere I highly recommend! I’ve been to many treatment centers over the years, particularly in CT, and I haven’t met anyone that can come close to what she does. Truly a blessing to have worked with her.
  • Genna
    I have a hard time putting into words the amount the program director at this facility has done for my family and I over these last two years. It was a hard struggle, that took patience and determination on all ends. She repaired my family slowly, and helped me to see that the way I had been behaving my whole life wasn’t normal nor was it okay. She taught me how to live again, as a sober woman in recovery. I am forever grateful for what she has helped me accomplish and anywhere that she works is somewhere I highly recommend! I’ve been to many treatment centers over the years, particularly in CT, and I haven’t met anyone that can come close to what she does. Truly a blessing to have worked with her.
  • John
    The food was awful and there was never enough for everyone even though you pay 15 grand a month. IOP was okay. Don't think about leaving or they'll threaten to keep your stuff and make you homeless. They will lie to your family and you to get you to stay longer. They even admit they don't care what happens to you after.(gathered after my case manager yelled at me for wanting to leave) You will not get what you pay for.
  • Bob
    This place is terrible I would not recommend it for my worst enemies. The director is a all around awful man who is nothing more then a 57 year old bully you can find much better places for a fraction of the price. The Westport house is nothing more then a $10,000 + Per month summer camp I witnessed him once tell a client that you are not aloud to have opinion at the Westport house, people relapse. The food is terrible they get you the cheapest food they can find the only things In the house to eat usually are cereal and processed meat.
    Official Response

Westport House alumni, family members and addiction professionals across the US are willing to speak with anyone about their experience with Westport House. And...

Our Chef might challenge the statement about cereal and "'processed meat". LOL...

Albert Samaras
    Exec. Dir.
    203-293-3348 (cell)

• Sharon
    My 19 year old son has been in the Westport House program for over a year. It has been a transformative experience for him and our family. Prior to Westport he had been hospitalized a number of times, in a number of intensive outpatient programs, therapeutic boarding and day schools and had not completed his high school education. Since at Westport he has finished his studies, been very successful at a job, reconnected with friends and family and most of all has been sober for well over a year. Words cannot express my appreciation mostly to the entire Westport team for his transformation. It hasn't always been easy but I always felt that the Westport team was behind him and our family.
  • CH
    This in an incredibly life changing facility for young men who are struggling with addiction and who they are meant to be. The staff genuinely care about the clients and want the best for them. They are not only there to counsel them but are a role model every day on how to live a meaningful, productive and sober life. Our son's case manager's dedication and kindness to our son and our family is what has made the difference in our son's outcome. The clinical staff has also had the most impact of any that we had tried previously. Their team effort is a very effective treatment mode. I can't imagine there is a more caring treatment team anywhere else. My son's life has turned around and we have back our kind. loving, motivated son that he was prior to using drugs. I highly recommend this facility, they really know what they are doing here.
  • Alex
    I work for a primary residential program in Maryland and we've referred three patients in recent months and love the result we're seeing. It's very clear to us that Westport House goes above and beyond to offer the best care possible and to provide a safe, structured, supportive environment. This program definitely ranks highly among our group of trusted aftercare providers.
  • ZS
    Westport House is an excellent program for young adult males. As a professional, I have sent numerous clients to westport and have received nothing but rave reviews from clients and families
  • SB
    Excellent program with the most caring staff!
  • JS
    The only plus The Westport House has to offer is a professionally decorated residence located on the "Gold Coast" of CT. Other than that, they are not interested in helping struggling young adults. My son was admitted without a phone screen, without any clinical information, and the day he arrived the residence director called me shouting that they did not have enough staff to watch my son if he chose not to attend an evening meeting. This was done with my son on speaker phone. The next day he called to tell me to find my son another program, but I was not allowed to have any of my son's former clinicians call him to assist. When I finally found an appropriate place for my son (after the new place spoke with my son and obtained his past clinical info), I hired a professional service to move him door to door. The professional arrived and was told by Westport House that my son's extra belongings were locked in storage and they did not have the key. (after receiving notice the day before). The most frightening thing of all is that my son was discharged without any of his prescribed medications and was on his way to another state. I had hired the professional service for the specific reason of handling medications, and hand delivering them to his new place. The Westport House does not even provide the basic dignity and respect any human being deserves.
    Official Response

Per policy, Westport House does not schedule an admission date until medical records have been received and reviewed by our clinical director, Liz Mudugno. It's critical that we serve only those that are appropriate for our level of care. To do otherwise would be foolish. This is clearly an attempt by a competitor or another party to influence behavior.

• DJM
    This place is atrocious, unorganized, and unequipped to handle what they are supposed to. If you have a loved one that needs help, I would stay far far away from this organization. Top to bottom from clinicians to case managers, this place is terrible for anyone that is trying to recover.
    Official Response

Numerous references from the highest quality treatment providers across the country are available. Feel free to call me on my cell at 203-293-2248 anytime.

• Sharlia
    Westport house was more than responsive to the immediate needs of our son. They played a key role in helping our son regain his overall health. He is now a productive person and we see the loving child we have not seen in more than two years. We will be forever grateful to Westport House for everything they did to save our child.
  • CPR
    Our son was in trouble. Unable to find his way in the world, he became addicted to drugs. We almost lost him. Westport House helped him find his way back. The understanding and supportive staff gave him the time and space he needed to regain respect for himself and a positive outlook on his life.
  • PZS
    Overall my interactions with staff have been positive. On my first night, one staff member took several hours to let me vent, which looking back, probably facilitated me remaining in the program in the early days. Being at the Westport House has allowed me to step back and analyze my career and education options. I've narrowed down my future interests as a result. Other than usual wear and tear from residential use, the facilities have exceeded my expectations and any issues are quickly taken care of.
  • OG
    If someone wants to change their life I'd highly recommend Westport House. This is a true transitional living program allowing people to reintegrate and become functioning members of society. This program allowed me to realize how important sobriety is and gave me a life beyond what I ever imagined. Struggling with mental health issues in addition to addiction, I saw no point in ever living without substances. Living here allowed me grow up, care about myself and more importantly about others. Exceptional staff, food and living conditions. Everyone that works there is truly passionate about their work and you can tell they care.
  • ZF
    I felt that the staff during my stay really believed in me and it helped me believe in myself. Staying there was like living in a 5-star hotel for 8 months. I think the most beneficial part was the sense of community I felt within the program and the sober friends I made during my stay. My case manager made a huge impact on my recovery and was one of the most influential people I've met so far in my life.
  • PR
    The Westport House saved my life - it’s something I say to myself almost every day, and I now know it to be true. I entered the program (with significant hesitation) at the suggestion of my rehab therapist after completing a 28 day inpatient program. I felt I was ready to return to normal life after 28 days clean… nothing could have been further from the truth. The Westport House program was exactly what I’d needed, probably since the day I graduated from high school. While the first few weeks were tough, it soon became clear it was the best decision I could have made to get my life back on track. The staff was nothing but supportive and caring. The structured Phase 1 schedule allowed me to receive the clinical care I needed, while learning self-care & life skills under the guidance of residential staff at the house. The turning point in my recovery came about as a result of the relationships I’d built with my case manager, residential coordinators and peers at P1. When I began to feel joy and happiness again during recreation activities with them, the progress I’d been making truly began to grow. Today, my best friends include staff members and fellow residents that I met in the first few weeks of my journey at the WH. 11 months after walking into 9 Fragrant Pines, I have a full-time job, hobbies that I love and the type of people in my life I always wanted when I was active in my addiction. I look back now and understand the importance of all the little things that are a part of the program - A sober part-time job to get started, waking up early & making my bed, being honest with the staff, moving through the phases of the program and finding new ways to enjoy life as a sober person. It all added up to where I am today. To that end, I would recommend the Westport House without hesitation.
  • ES
    This place is an A+ Scam. They charge on heck of a lot of money and provide nothing more than a nice looking home for rich kids. They have virtually no supervision for young men that sit around doing almost nothing all day every day. The one house manager is a yeller so he shows up, yells, and then leaves.
    Official Response

I normally ignore negative comments (and question any website that only has positive reviews) but given the clear intent of this anonymous poster, I feel the need to respond. Like any important decision, ask around. Contact individuals knowledgeable about addiction and treatment services. Westport House has an excellent reputation nationwide and that's ultimately due to the humble, caring and dedicated people who work here. I can count the number of relapses we've had within the past two years. on one hand. We do our best, but when working with young adults, the family is critical to our success. If they're unwilling to do the work, the result is predicable.

• Spt
    Westport house is not living up to there reputation. The place is very expensive for what you get. All clients share a room . The place lacks oversight .many of the outings change at last minute . On the up side if you have the money to spend the food there is good and you do get some activities and TV to watch football.
  • MG
    Intamate setting, safe with beautiful grounds providing and enjoyable experience for young men to recovery from addiction/alcoholism. High staff to resident ratio. phase transitional living with responsibility and accountability being earned over time. well trained staff passionate and knowledgable about recovery. setting and curriculum is designed to challenge the resident's beliefs, behaviors and attitudes surrounding recovery Westport house provides a safe and enjoyable atmosphere for young men trying to recovery from addiction and alcoholism. the phase transition model allows client to earn more responsibility and independence over a period of time as they display in a consistent manor they are ready for it. The intimate setting and location in Westport CT only helps residents feel more comfortable during their stay. Facilities are gorgeous, plant of recreational activities and community support.
  • DAS
    Focus on young men. Encourages independence and full participation in recovery. Strong therapy programs and AA opportunities. Staff awareness of residents struggles; good support to work thru issues. Job oportunities in local area. Career advice when needed. Facility focuses on young men with a dual diagnosis. Area of expertise not in severe mental health issues that have led to addiction. My wife and I were uncertain about where to place our son following his 28 day residential program. We knew he was not ready to come home but needed continuing support to assist his recovery. Wesport House enabled our son to continue his journey of sober living day by day while providing him with tools he still uses today. He also made sober friends while at the house that he is still in contact with. My wife and I also benefited from the family programs that Westport House provided and were encouraging about our decision to seek out Al-Anon meetings in our area.
  • Greg
    Food is top notch, very clean and comfortable environment Not much to offer mid career aged clients If you are worried that rehab alone isn't a going to help you stay sober, and are between the ages of 18 to 30, Westport house is an excellent place to build a secure foundation for your recovery
  • AK
    Tasty, nutritious food; experienced program staff; strongly encourage family involvement; good case managers; fun sober recreation activities; emphasis on mental and physical fitness; strong supportive structure for early recovery Communication among staff, changing policies (maybe due to rapid growth), lack of non-12-step group participation, restricted resident transportation capacity Sending my son here after he completed a 30-day inpatient program was worth every penny. The staff was very welcoming, and they consistently treated my son and I with respect. In fact, many of the staff members at Westport House today are part of his sober network. My son's case manager communicated with me regularly over the course of his stay. In the first phase of the program, all meals were provided by the house. He developed a strong relationship with his therapist who he has today. The program supported his involvement in AA, and they helped guide my family in being healthy supports to his recovery. The second phase allowed my son to show consistency in his new way of life and establish independence. He was able to resume his education, get a part-time job (which he now has full-time), and take control of his spending. With the help of Westport House, my son was able to find his true self and transform into the sober young man he is today, and for that I am eternally grateful.
  • Gwylem
    Mission statement, staff kindness, facilities, extracurricular activities were good. Communication was poor. My son entered the care of Westport House in 2014 after a strong recommendation from his therapist at Silver Hill Hospital. He remained within their care for a total of eight months and has been sober ever since. Highly recommend attending the Family Programming events, as it helped my husband and I navigate our relationship with our son as he began to restructure his life. Kind and sympathetic staff that still check in with my son to this day. Very grateful for this facilities help, would absolutely recommend their services.
  • AK
    Sending my son here after he completed a 30-day inpatient program was worth every penny. The staff was very welcoming, and they consistently treated my son and I with respect. In fact, many of the staff members at Westport House today are part of his sober network. My son\'s case manager communicated with me regularly over the course of his stay. In the first phase of the program, all meals were provided by the house. He developed a strong relationship with his therapist who he has today. The program supported his involvement in AA, and they helped guide my family in being healthy supports to his recovery. The second phase allowed my son to show consistency in his new way of life and establish independence. He was able to resume his education, get a part-time job (which he now has full-time), and take control of his spending. His case manager there helped him budget his money and learn how to hold himself accountable. The residents he lived with are some of his best friends today, and he continues to be actively involved in his recovery. With the help of Westport House, my son was able to find his true self and transform into the sober young man he is today, and for that I am eternally grateful.
  • IGAJS
    Easy access to a strong network of recovering men and women. Beautiful facilities, plenty of extracurricular activities, and staff members who go the extra mile.
  • R K
    Terrific Recovery setting for people of all ages. Located in a great area Plenty of support for all who reside there Very positive environment Sometimes difficult in differentiating all clients and their specific needs This program offers a chance to re-integrate into society in a way that benefits everyone involved (family etc.)
    Nurturing and educated staff, strong family component and beautiful facilities.
  • A J T S
    Positive support, structure, effective communication, see clients as individuals, able and willing to adapt schedules and support accordingly. Healthy, clean living environment. Focus on addiction recovery rather than primary mental health issues. Young male demographic provided a positive recovery environment. It is Expensive. Communication between staff members when dealing with an issue that extends over shift changes and/or staff hierarchy can be inefficient. Overall very positive experience. Staff always made time to discuss any concerns. Phone calls and emails always returned promptly. Monthly meetings were always kept - relevant staff were available and well informed. Was difficult sometimes to follow staff advice on how long our qualifier needed to stay because of financial concerns but their judgement proved to be sound. Qualifier is still clean and still working his program 9 months after leaving.
  • Bennett
    Individualized treatment plans. Focus on gradual reintegration into all areas of life. Compassionate and experienced staff Diversified rec activities. Tuition can be challenging for all to afford The Westport House is a place where young men leant how to live and enjoy life sober. I have seen the majority of our clients graduate from our program having already reintegrated into their communities with the coping skills necessary to succeed. Unlike most facilities where reintegration happens after they leave.
  • J S
    Wonderful sense of community, Always willing to adapt based on client needs and advances in addiction treatment.
  • J N
    Committed staff, operates smoothly, friendly, effective. Communication can improve. Great location and very knowledgable staff. Awesome place to work at and to be able to watch those afflicted with addiction grow
  • SM
    A waste of money and a scam. All it is is Turning Point but I\'m Westport...a sober house with soon to be iop...for 9k a month...give me a break...my friend went here. The staff is a joke, the rooms are not worth the money...this is anot her reason why the current treatment system does not work.
    Official Response

Westport House is a Phased Integration program for young men who have attended 30, 60 or 90 days inpatient treatment. We are nestled in the town of Westport with beautiful facilities and top notch staff. We are a private pay facility which is the way we are able to deliver individualized care. Although we are sensitive to the opinions of those that may be dissatisfied with elements of our program we are constantly improving and growing in order to be a best in class facility. We are always open to feedback and will continue to strive for excellence in order to help those struggling with substance use disorders.

• E M
    Supportive lifestyle to maintain sobriety, peer support, specialized staff, individualized treatment plan, Staff is available to answer any questions or concerns at any time.