White Deer Run of York in York, PA

106 Davies Drive
York PA 17402

White Deer Run of York Philosophy

The heart of the WDR philosophy is our commitment to personalized care delivered in an atmosphere of dignity and respect. Our goal is to help each patient to develop the skills and strategies that will allow them to live a full and rewarding life, free from the chains of chemical dependency.

• Dual Diagnosis/ Co-Occurring Disorders Treatment

• 12-Step
    The term “12 Step Program” describes a way to recover from addiction that is based on the model developed by Alcoholics Anonymous. Many drug and alcohol treatment centers base their treatment on 12 steps – the first three of which are situational, the next four addressing the practical issues created by the addiction, followed by two steps focused on making amends for hurting others. Steps 10 and 11 involve a deeper examination of the previous steps and the final step is focused on helping others avoid and recover from addiction.

Family Counseling Sessions

Recreational Therapy

12-Step Meetings

Amy Ruiz LSW CAC

Clinical Supervisor

I am the Clinical Supervisor of the Men’s Co-occurring Disorders Unit. After obtaining my Bachelors in Social Work at Bloomsburg University in December of 2001 I came to work at White Deer Run in January of 2002 and have been here ever since. I began my career at Allenwood as a counselor on the Women’s Co-occurring Disorders Unit and pursued my education and received my Masters in Social Work from Marywood University in May of 2005. It was then that I was promoted to a supervisor and worked on the adolescent unit until my recent move to the Men’s Unit. My experience here at White Deer Run has been primarily with patients with co-occurring disorders both on the women’s and the adolescent units. Dealing with addiction is never easy and it becomes more difficult when struggling with mental health issues. I believe that we need to combine the treatments of both in order to have the best chance of recovery. I love working with people and to be able to see them reclaim their lives by providing them with the proper treatment and support.

Brianne Shreck

Supervisor of the Women’s Co-occurring Disorders Unit

I am currently the Supervisor of the Women’s Co-occurring Disorders Unit at WDR of Allenwood. I came to WDR straight out of college as a Counselor Assistant. Since that time I have acted as a counselor, the lead counselor for the adolescent unit, the facility lead counselor, and now supervisor. I received my BS in Psychology from Pennsylvania State University and my MSW from Marywood University. I am also a Licensed Social Worker and a Certified Addictions Counselor. I cannot measure how much I have learned over the years at this facility. I am grateful for the experiences my co-workers and clients provide me on a daily basis. To see someone enter treatment who is hopeless, broken, and overwhelmed and watch them grow to someone who sees they have a future, can utilize personal strengths they never knew existed, and who is able to feel proud of themselves and their accomplishments is both rewarding and a testament to the work we do at this facility.

ABOUT WHITE DEER RUN OF YORK

White Deer Run of York, one of several White Deer Run centers in Pennsylvania, is one of Pennsylvania’s 209 private, for-profit facilities and offers residential drug and alcohol rehab facility for adult men and women. Operated by CRC Health, one of the nation’s largest providers of rehab and behavioral health services, the facility offers on-site supervised medical detox, residential programming, and treatment designed to address co-occurring mental health disorders through its two facilities.

Upon admission to White Deer Run of York, adults receive a comprehensive psychological and medical evaluation and access to 24-hour medical supervision during their stay. Residential treatment typically lasts 18 days, yet the length of stay ultimately depends on a client’s specific needs. This makes White Deer Run of York one of Pennsylvania’s 76 short-term residential treatment facilities. If applicable, residents begin at the Davies Drive location for detox and then transfer to the Mt. Zion location for the rest of treatment.

The treatment process incorporates a range of evidence-based practices. Each week, clients attend one-on-one meetings, group sessions, and family therapy as they work through any underlying problems that may contribute to substance abuse.. To identify and process these concerns, clinicians utilize cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), dialectical behavior therapy (DBT) and motivational enhancement therapy (MET).

The facility also uses a range of ancillary therapies and approaches in treatment. These include 12-step work, medication management to treat any co-occurring disorders, recreational therapy, educational classes, relapse prevention sessions, and morning lectures. The 12-steps model of recovery is used in up to 48% of treatment facilities in the U.S..

Aftercare planning, another core part of the program, provides clients with personally tailored continuing care plans prior to graduation. For some, this may entail transitioning into either outpatient or intensive outpatient (IOP) treatment, available at other White Deer Run facilities throughout the state.

The treatment staff at White Deer Run of York includes physicians certified in addiction medicine, counselors, therapists, and other experienced behavioral healthcare professionals. The facility is among the 28% of U.S. treastment programs that is CARF-accredited. Of the 21 individuals polled by Rehabs.com to date, four individuals surveyed on the matter offered moderately positive feedback concerning the staff’s aptitude.

Staff Experience and Training: 3.5/5

The facility has 24 beds. Clients receive 24-hour support and supervision, especially while in detox. They have access to medical care and counselors at all times to address their concerns. Overall, the five individuals polled specifically on the quality of the facilities praised their cleanliness.

Facility Cleanliness and Upkeep: 4.8/5

At the time of this writing, White Deer Run of York’s facility received mostly positive reviews from a group of 14 alumni polled by Rehabs.com, specifically concerning the level of family participation. However, alumni generally expressed dissatisfaction with the holistic offerings and the variety of treatment options available.

T.L.S. wrote: “Program worked for me, but didn't supply amount of counseling promised.” Offering a four-star rating for family participation, though two stars for the facility’s ability to treat co-occurring disorders and one star for its counseling options, one anonymous alum wrote: “It is not set up for anyone with mental issues.”

How alumni rated the staff varied, though many former clients referred to the staff as “genuinely caring,” “supportive,” and “knowledgeable.” Highlighting the compassionate staff as a facility strength, one anonymous alum gave four stars for administrative processes and discharge planning and five stars for the likelihood they'd recommend the facility to others.

On Google, White Deer Run Of York earned an average of 4.2 out of five stars from six reviews to date.[1] While one anonymous alum wrote how “staff is wonderful and the atmosphere is incredible,” another wrote negative feedback about a single employee after describing the facility as a “Good place.”

As of this writing, a group of seven loved ones shared mixed feedback with Rehabs.com about their experience with White Deer Run of York. K.L.D., whose parent attended the facility, described the facility as a “neat, up to date, clean place with extremely caring and supportive staff.” Another loved one, who gave five stars for the facility's discharge planning and the likelihood they'd recommend the facility to others, wrote: "Whatever they did worked and has continued to work for 7 months after rehab."

Yet other reviewers considered treatment incomplete. One loved one offered two stars for counseling options and three stars for the amount of family participation, writing: “Too easily release patient without making much of an effort to help her understand her need to continue in the program."

Likewise, another anonymous loved one who visited her niece in treatment expressed concern about the lack of staff: “There was never much staff around. Additionally, there was an incredible amount of unsupervised interaction between males & females.” An anonymous loved one added: “I've been in recovery for 15 plus years, and I know that this facility did not have the resources to be effective.”

Additionally, parent Bonnie who claimed her son overdosed shortly after being released wrote: "He didn't have one on one attention at all. I was told his counselor was out a lot during his stay. It's a revolving door--I honestly think they want to see the patients come back."

White Deer Run of York is a part of a limited number of U.S. facilities to accept Medicaid and Medicare. However, the facility also accepts private insurance plans from Aetna, Blue Cross Blue Shield, Cigna, ValueOptions, and other major health insurance companies. The five individuals polled by Rehabs.com on the matter appreciated the cost of the facility.

Affordability: 4.8/5

CONCLUSION

To better serve the needs of its clients. White Deer Run of York is currently looking to add more staff members, especially for the third shift. This will allow the facility to provide better around the clock care for clients in the residential program.

Published on October 2018

Disgrace my nephew went there for addiction of pain pills, they gave him p&j sandwich he was outside in the rain and asked 4 medicine. He walked out waiting for a ride and went to Marworth thank God. They met him at the door and took him right in .

White deer run saved and definitely improved my life. I’ve gone to several rehabs this was the one most consistent. I would defiantly recommend. P.S The staff is very friendly and professional

Do not go. H Jail is more freedom. Go to roxbury

****BEWARE**** My son went here for opioid addiction and he overdosed 1 WEEK after leaving this facility, On his last day the director told us if my son can't make it no one can because he had done so well in their program. Well, he didn't survive... They didn't prepare for where he would go after he left, which is part of his treatment, He didn't have one on one attention at all. I was told his counselor was out a lot during his stay. It's a revolving door--I honestly think they want to see the patients come back.

place is a stinky hole with staff that don't have a clue...place is dirty, the list goes on! A complete disgrace, owners should be ashamed of themselves

They were a success in their treatment. Visitors are very limited. Whatever they did worked and has continued to work for 7 months after rehab.

White Deer Run saved my life! The entire staff and facility are the best around! Two staff members in particular, will miss you everyday! Thank you all!

Loving & careing. To far for family visit. My time there was a very good experience in learning about my addiction and why i behaved the way i did

My son went here and it was unsuccessful. ... It's a revolving door for addicts. They get very little individual attention. ... A total waste of time and money. I would give them zero stars if it was an option. Skip this... it's too sad.

It was clean, safe and the food was acceptable. However, counselors didn't seem to know what they were doing most of the time. I felt like I was being babysat for the most part. It is not set up for anyone with mental issues. It is a place to recover physically for 30 or so days, but the treatment is left up to the clients in terms of finding value

It was local which was nice; however, it was not effective. Too easily release patient without making much of an effort to help her understand her need to continue in the program

They listen and are caring; they accommodate special needs like lactose intolerance. I am lactose intolerant, so they had lactose free milk brought in etc. Treatment like that!!

This was a neat, up to date, clean place with extremely caring and supportive staff.

As a family member i was appalled at how rude the staff was and how they handled family me members. No apologies ever given for rudeness

Visiting my niece, there was never much staff around. Additionally, there was an incredible amount of unsupervised interaction between males & females. This is never good in early recovery, as it leads to unnecessary relationships. Thus energy that should be put into a recovery program is focused elsewhere. I've been in recovery for 15 plus years, and I know that this facility did not have the resources to be effective.

They did not individually tend to the needs.

Poor management.

Good place to get help!

Provided me with the information to help get me into a 12 step program.

Genuinely caring and kind with knowledgeable staff...tons of insight and enlightenment given to absorb. Positive experience...If an individual is REALLY serious and TOTALLY committed to getting better and receiving treatment, this facility is also committed and serious about the treatment and care for its patients that do. I did not want to leave. No insurance and limited finances kept me from staying longer. They will try and help you with finances if possible. They made every effort to help me. But their resources were limited at the time I was there. They tried.

Program worked for me, but didn't supply amount of counseling promised