Whiteside Manor

• Educational Classes
  • Relapse Prevention

Reviewed by Our Contributors

ABOUT WHITESIDE MANOR

Located in Riverside, Calif., Whiteside Manor is a residential facility that serves adult men and women struggling with substance abuse. Programs of 30, 60, and 90 days are available depending on client needs. Whiteside offers a specialized dual-diagnosis program for those with co-occurring mental health conditions. Detox services are not available on-site.

Residential treatment at Whiteside Manor is based on a highly structured 12-step program. According to its website, the facility strives to cultivate a “safe, comfortable, family-style living environment where our clients can be surrounded with supportive friends, exemplary role models and well-trained leadership.”

Both men’s and women’s programs include group and individual therapy, addiction education, family counseling, 12-step work, recreational activities, and workshops on relapse prevention, parenting, and anger management. Pet therapy is offered too. Clients in the dual diagnosis residential program also receive psychiatric and medication management services for their co-occurring mental health disorders.

An aftercare program involving weekly group meetings is available to graduates of the residential program at no cost.

Whiteside Manor is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF) and certified by the California Department of Alcohol and Drug Programs. The clinical staff includes professional certified counselors.

Clients at Whiteside Manor live in fully furnished, well-kept houses in Riverside, Calif. Men and women reside in separate facilities. Fraternization between the sexes is not permitted.

On-site amenities include a basketball court, volleyball court, pool table, as well as yoga classes. Men may participate in a “Boot Camp” fitness program and women may take an intensive one-day self-defense workshop. Additionally, there is a local gym with personal trainers. Laptop and cellphone use is permitted during designated times and cigarettes are allowed.

The four alumni polled by Rehabs.com at the time of this writing offered consistently favorable feedback. Accommodations scored especially high and two out of four alumni awarded perfect five out of five stars for treatment effectiveness. The two former clients also awarded five stars for recommending the facility to others, cleanliness, and exercise and leisure.

The staff received positive mentions. Alum Danyell wrote: “The staff are the most wonderful people you could meet.” Alum Kirsten praised the program for being “impeccably run," and awarded perfect five-star ratings for treatment effectiveness, meals and nutrition, and accommodations and amenities. Another alum, Liz, reported a positive experience overall; however, she expressed some reservations about insurance issues and daily activities. Similarly, alum P.L. found the facility spectacular, but felt that the counseling options could be improved.

On Whiteside Manor’s unofficial Facebook page, which the organization may manage, 27 users to date gave the facility a cumulative average rating of 4.5 out of five stars.[1] Again, the staff received praise and several alumni cited long-term success. Five-star reviewer Sonny wrote: “I can honestly say that this place has changed me for the better. The classes are really informative and the staff is amazing.” Javier, another five-star reviewer, wrote: “Whitesiiiiiiiiide!!!!!! Really good people here love it!” And Rick, a four-star reviewer whose sobriety date is 1/28/94, commented: “Whiteside gave me a solid foundation, without which I know I would not have my 23 solid years.”

Reviews from three loved ones surveyed by Rehabs.com to date offered positive reviews regarding Whiteside Manor. One loved one offered perfect five-star ratings in every metric, ranging from treatment effectiveness to family participation to the staff's level of training and experience. While the other two loved ones were not as universally positive, they gave the facility high four and five star ratings in most categories. The lowest rated metric was holstic offerings, which recieved two two-star and one five-star rating.

The accommodations and atmosphere generally were lauded, with one anonymous reviewer writing: “Family Atmosphere, more homelike that hospital like… caring staff and counselors” but noted “insurance availability was a downfall.” Another loved one wanted Rehabs.com to know that Whiteside Manor: “Saved my son by giving him structure and support.”

Whiteside Manor describes its offerings as "low-cost" drug and alcohol treatment programs in California. Although "fees vary per month," there currently is no specific information on pricing or insurance via its website or elsewhere.

[1] https://www.facebook.com/pages/Whiteside-Manor/161826873834956

Social Media Links
Important Notice

We list thousands of treatment providers throughout the U.S., often including alumni and staff ratings and reviews, and Rehabs.com 360 Guides that provide valuable information for people making difficult decisions. Rehabs.com is not influenced in regards to its ratings or reviews by any treatment center or its sponsors, and we clearly designate advertiser relationships with “Sponsor” or “Ad” or “Advertisement”.

4.3/5
    4.2/5
    4.7/5
    4.1/5

• Sherai
    In September 2004 went for 90 days at the womens program. Helped me get to the core issues in a safe loving enviorment. Learned to love myself again. The structure and guidance, exercise, meetings, meditation were part of daily recovery. Than you Whiteside Wilshire house for this gift.
    Helped my friends... Many people I know have been treated there
  • MG
    I was determined to be clean and sober at this treatment center after years of relapsing I knew this is what I wanted and surrendered to my addiction.
  • Robert
    It changed my life.
  • Mitch
    Strengths: Discipline, firm but caring treatment. Weaknesses: Location. Saved my son by giving him structure and support.
  • PAL
    Strengths: Small, orderly, ethical. Weaknesses: Small staff office, for counseling no privacy. I would recommend this program to any woman wanting to change thier lifestyle away from bad coping skills. This was a fair and consist s nt place to learn how to believe in myself.
    Family Atmosphere, more homelike that hospital like. Insurance availability was a downfall. Allows that person seeking help to feel like they're are in a more caring facility than a hospital facility. caring staff and counselors.
    After receiving treatment I have stayed clean and sober and am going on 10yrs 7/16/2015
  • Kirsten
    I cannot express both my gratitude and my appreciation of the caliber of treatment that I received at Whiteside. The program is impeccably run, and the staff is absolutely wonderful. I have experienced being in several other "big name" recovery centers that cost many times what Whiteside charged. Whiteside, by far, had a superior program and literally saved my life. I was given a wonderful foundation and the tools to change my life. The treatment effectiveness is what is what matters in a rehab, and you will get it at Whiteside Manor. My life is changed and I am happy/clean and sober. I work very very hard to remain living this way, but was helped and empowered so much from the help and treatment I received!
  • Liz
    The rehab was geared towards servicing Kaiser Insurance patients which I did not have. Consequently, I had no outpatient after-care at all. I don't believe rehab should be about the "activities" of the day. Rehab gave me the opportunity to "shut down & re-boot" my life. I got some education about addiction, some therapy, and enough 'tools" that I could use to keep me sober. This program was enmeshed with 12 step programs which works for me. By investing more money in the staff training & facility Whiteside could become exemplary. As it was, it was simply adequate for my needs. Ultimately, people don't change unless they're ready & have a clue of how to. It isn't so much where you go, it's what you do with the opportunity to change. Whiteside gave me enough time to clear my head so that I could think clearly enough to know that I really did want to change and that I had the capacity to do so.
  • Danyell
    It was a wonderful experience, the staff are the most wonderful people you could meet.

Nearby cities with more treatment facilities: