Whole Life Recovery in San Juan Capistrano, CA

32122 Camino Caistrano, Suite 100
San Juan Capistrano CA 92675

Whole Life Recovery Philosophy

Whole Life Recovery's mission is to create an opportunity for individuals to live an authentic and rewarding life by treating the whole person through mind, body and spirit, while decreasing chances of recidivism by providing innovative and quality treatment.

• Individualized Treatment
    Some facilities have an addiction treatment protocol that all patients or clients are expected to follow, while others customize or individualize treatment based on a person’s unique needs and circumstances. Factors that may affect treatment decisions include age, lifestyle, medical conditions, type of drug, religious beliefs, etc.

• Detox
    Though not all rehab facilities offer “medical detoxification,” all people with an addiction to drugs or alcohol will experience intense physical and emotional changes and discomfort as their bodies react to withdrawal of the addictive substance. Many people use the term “detox” to refer to the period of time (ranging from a few days to a week) when the body is reacting to an addict’s decision to stop using.

All Inclusive - Sober Living, Food, Activities, Transportation

Float Tank Therapy

Brain Mapping

Raymond Conrad

Director of Operations

Raymond Conrad comes to Whole Life with over 6 years of personal experience in recovery 5 years of working in the field. He has held numerous positions during that time, including Treatment Technician, Transportation, Operations Manager, Client Services Manager, Chief Court Liaison, and has now embraced his title as Director of Operations. These many perspectives give him an eclectic view of treatment, and the ability to understand the treatment process from the ground up.

Dr. Rebecca Shabunov, PsyD, MA, LPCC

Group Facilitator

Rebecca Shabunov received her undergraduate degree in Cognitive Psychology (B.A.) from the University of California, Irvine, completed her master’s (M.A.) degree in Marriage and Family Therapy at the California School of Professional Psychology at Alliant International University, and received her doctorate (Psy.D.) in Applied Clinical Psychology at The Chicago School of Professional Psychology. Rebecca's experience includes working with individuals in residential treatment for drug and alcohol addictions, specializing in dual diagnosis treatment and recovery. Rebecca’s philosophy is one of pragmatism, based on treating each client as an individual with specific needs and empowering clients through education as well as introspection.

ABOUT WHOLE LIFE RECOVERY

Located in San Juan Capistrano, Calif., Whole Life Recovery is an all-inclusive drug and alcohol treatment center, offering residential programs, outpatient programs, and sober living for individuals struggling with addiction or co-occurring disorders. The facility is among the 54.9 percent of facilities in the state to provide dual diagnosis treatment. It is also among the only 15 percent of treatment centers to provide non-hospital detox services on-site.

According to the facility's website, Whole Life Recovery's mission "is to create an opportunity for individuals to live an authentic and rewarding life by treating the whole person through mind, body and spirit, while decreasing chances of recidivism by providing innovative and quality treatment."

According to the center's website, treatment begins with a psychological evaluation, which is used to create a custom treatment plan for each individual. The center also runs tests to determine nutritional levels. From there, the treatment team creates a plan to restore the client's physical, behavioral, and mental health.

Each treatment plan is customized and can include relapse prevention training, family and discharge plans, group therapy, anger management, parenting classes, 12-step participation, and individual therapy. Whole Life Recovery also utilizes brain mapping, neurofeedback, and float tank therapy.

Residents are required to attend at least four self-help or 12-step meetings a week. Whole Life Recovery also offers a family program every eight weeks, as well as conducts interventions.

During treatment, clients attend weekly individual sessions with a case manager and therapist. Whole Life Recovery also encourages clients to participate in supervised activities, such as beach bonfires, ropes course exercises, hikes, and whale watching, to introduce clients to a sober lifestyle.

The center's website indicates the treatment team includes case managers, a program director, family therapist, and counselors. The sole Rehabs.com survey respondent to date polled on the matter, a loved one of a former client, provided a one-star rating for the staff's level of experience and training.

The facility provides 42 beds in shared bedrooms. This suggests high levels of availability, given that the average number of residents in a residential facility was 18 clients, as of 2016. Pictures on the facility's website indicated well-lit rooms, shared living spaces, TV lounges, and outdoor patios.

The five alumni surveyed by Rehabs.com to date provided mixed reviews. While a few former clients credited the facility for their sobriety, one former client gave just one out of five stars for treatment effectiveness. "My individual therapist was great. The rest of it was spotty at best," they wrote, adding that some of the treatment methodologies were not effective.

However, another alum reported sustained recovery, writing: "I was treated with Care and Understand I don\'t know how I would of Done this without Whole Life Recovery I thank all the Staff I love you guys."

Reviews for this facility were above average on Google at the time of this writing, indicated by a 3.6 out of five-star average rating based on 24 individuals.[1] "A family environment with caring staff and huge upside for dual diagnosed individuals," T.S. wrote in a representative review. Many negative reviews were critical of the director, though the most recent comments reported a new facility director.

To date, two Yelp reviews were split, with one perfect five-star review and a single one-star review.[2] The only differing aspects of the two former clients' comments were in regards to sobriety: one graduated the program, and the other felt that it did not aid them at all.

The three loved ones surveyed by Rehabs.com at the time of this writing all provided extremely negative feedback. "No communication insurance scam allow users to stay in homes not enough structure," B.P. wrote, giving one-star ratings for family participation and treatment of co-occurring disorders. "I can't say enough bad things about this place," while another loved one also noted problems with the center's insurance policy. The third loved one added: "Family member is worse off now than before, having witnessed corruption and greed."

However, a reviewer commented upon referring clients to the center. "Whole Life has helped so many I referred! Saving lives!!! The young adults stay and like how it's ran. They say the staff truly care and it's clean," they wrote.

Whole Life Recovery accepts many private insurance plans, including Aetna, Beacon, ComPsych, HMC HealthWorks, and Multiplan. The facility also accepts Tricare. According to the facility, the residential program costs $19,500 per month or $33,000 for 90 days of treatment.

[2] https://www.yelp.com/biz/whole-life-recovery-center-san-juan-capistrano

Published on June 2019

sn

I can't say enough bad things about this place. We sent our son here with the understanding that the insurance would cover the cost. After he left, he received a bill. Whole Life told us our insurance wouldn't cover our son's care for his third month. Our insurance company told us we could appeal the decision. All we needed was for the counselors at Whole Life Recovery to submit information to the health insurance company. Multiple people at Whole Life gave us the run around for a week and refused to call us back. We called his counselor, the case manager, the program director, etc. No one would give us answers or talk to the insurance company. They were pressuring us to pay for his care instead of working with the insurance company. We had no problem with paying for the care if the insurance company wouldn't pay for it, but they refused to appeal with the insurance company. I believe they wanted us to pay more for the care than the insurance was willing to pay. We decided at that time that he probably wasn't getting the care he needed there if these people were so immoral and dishonest. They never even had an exit plan for him. I ended up rushing around trying to get him into another program and none of those programs had anything good to say about Whole Life Recovery. They refused to recommend Whole Life when their programs were filled. One man said they were known for their "bad business practices."

ts

This facility changed my life. The team here is exceptional as this is my 3rd rehab

SS

Top notch drug treatment center in an area where most don’t care or treat properly

cg

Family member was admitted and was also employed by them. Said family member is worse off now than before, having witnessed corruption and greed.

Deb

I am grateful to be alive today by the Grace of God, the fellowships and my willingness to stay the course with WLR. That being said, I am 10+ months sober and part of that I do owe to the kind and caring staff and fellow clients. Leaving was bittersweet. I do implore this organization to seek further organization. Areas of insurance need attention to keep informed, in my humble estimation. This has left somewhat of a sour taste. One last thing which I always had difficulty with, hard as I tried to “fix” it, groups desperately need to be structured and kept in control for people who seriously want sobriety. Thank you.

Maria

My individual therapist was great. The rest of it was spotty at best. The brain mapping and float tank are a farce. I went in with a positive attitude but quickly disliked my treatment. I had some bad experiences there and now, still sober, shudder to think of going back. I would NEVER recommend. Good places are out there! Keep looking!

anonymous

strength:Not sure if there are any. weakness:No communication insurance scam allow users to stay in homes not enough structure. There should be rules in place for the homes, I would not want to live next to any of these homes when there is no structure .

Alisha

I have 143 days Clean and Sober today and Through my Whole Program I was treated with Care and Understand I don\'t know how I would of Done this without Whole Life Recovery I thank all the Staff I love you guys.

Jodi

I get calls to help those who are struggling and I contact a woman who works here. She has been amazing! I love her quick response and if they don\'t have insurance, she tries to scholarship. I\'ve met the staff and they are excellent. Whole Life has helped so many I referred! Saving lives!!! The young adults stay and like how it\'s ran. They say the staff truly care and it\'s clean!!