Wilmington Treatment Center in Wilmington, NC

Call (855) 401-1474 to Contact Wilmington Treatment Center

2520 Troy Drive
Wilmington NC 28401

Wilmington Treatment Center Philosophy

Wilmington Treatment Center makes it a point to meet clients wherever they are in their journey to recovery. The residential rehab treats drug and alcohol addiction, as well as co-occurring mental health disorders, with a combination of evidence-based methods and 12-Step principles. Armed with the knowledge that addiction is a treatable disease, and that individuals need to open up about their issues in order for treatment to be truly effective, the highly qualified staff creates a compassionate, supportive and nurturing environment that’s designed to make clients feel comfortable.

• Operation Recovery
    Wilmington Treatment Center considers it an honor and privilege to serve our active duty and retired military. We pride ourselves in providing the best quality care to those who are willing to fight for our freedom daily. Group sessions with only active duty or retired military. Comprehensive, multidisciplinary, individualized treatment plans. Cognitive Processing Therapy, pharmacotherapy and adjunctive services to manage combat related Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Seeking Safety a best practice model for the treatment and PTSD from childhood or other non-combats types of trauma. Dual Diagnosis treatment with coordination of care between the medical and clinical staff treatment includes individual and small group sessions to specifically address symptom education and relapse prevention related to both illnesses. Introduction to local AA/NA meeting both on site and in the community. Monthly AA meetings brought in to the facility by active duty and retired military from local military bases. Monthly presentations from Military One Source and the local Veterans Association to inform of services. Strong encouragement of command involvement through visiting their men and women and phone consultation. Family involvement through engagement in the on-site family education program or through phone consultation.

• Young Adult Program
    At Wilmington Treatment Center we recognize that the patients 18-26 and their families have needs that are unique from the other age groups we serve. As a result we have created a team approach to addressing these needs. The team includes the therapist, recreation therapist and discharge planner as well as our medical and nursing staff.

Cognitive Processing Therapy (CPT)

During the course of CPT, the primary focus is to help patients gain an understanding of, and modify the meaning attributed to, their traumatic event. In pursuit of this objective, an important goal of CPT is to decrease the pattern of avoiding the trauma memory so that beliefs and meanings can be further evaluated and understood within the original context.

Recreation Therapy

The purpose of our Recreational Therapy Program is to introduce you to alternative leisure activities and hobbies as part of your social recovery. The Wilmington Treatment Center strives to expose patients to positive, fun, alcohol and other drug free social experiences through participation in our recreational therapy programming. This program integrates social recovery into your life thereby improving the opportunity for long lasting sobriety.

Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR)

EMDR psychotherapy is an information processing therapy and uses an eight phase approach to address the experiential contributors of a wide range of pathologies. It attends to the past experiences that have set the groundwork for pathology, the current situations that trigger dysfunctional emotions, beliefs and sensations, and the positive experience needed to enhance future adaptive behaviors and mental health.

Robert Pitts, LCSW, MSW, MBA

Executive Director

Robert joined Wilmington Treatment Center in June of 2010. He comes to us after serving as a Chief Clinical Officer and Executive Director for a large substance abuse provider in Texas. He began his work in the addiction field working as a Director of Quality Assurance ensuring all standards met the requirements of licensing and accrediting bodies.

Bernard Gottschalk, M.D. (ASAM Certified)

Medical Director

Photo of Bernard Gottschalk, M.D. (ASAM Certified)

Dr. Gottschalk (or Dr. G as he is known around WTC) has been with Wilmington Treatment Center since 2005. Earlier in his medical career pathway, Dr. Gottschalk functioned as a medical oncologist treating patients whose lives and the lives of their families were disrupted by an oftentimes fatal disease. He soon became weary and his zeal for life dampened by the fatalistic atmosphere that pervaded the world of adult medical oncology. In an eerily similar manner his subsequent career, Addiction Medicine, deals with patients and families that have had their lives disrupted by a potentially fatal disease as well. In the field medical oncology, the truly curable cases hold a minority position in the universe of neoplastic diseases. There were many times in oncology that he questioned the merit of his efforts and had trouble discerning the measurable benefits to the patients from services provided. In Addiction Medicine, 100% of the patients he interacts with are salvageable.

ABOUT WILMINGTON TREATMENT CENTER

Wilmington Treatment Center operates one residential and two outpatient facilities in North Carolina. The main campus in Wilmington offers medical detox, residential treatment, and a partial hospitalization program (PHP) for adults seeking treatment for substance abuse and co-occurring disorders. It is one of the 219 (46.4 percent) of treatment facilities in the state that accepts clients with co-occurring disorders.

The detox program lasts between five and 18 days, depending on the intensity of the client's addiction. When a client completes detox, the rehab suggests transitioning to residential care. Wilmington Treatment Center is one of North Carolina’s 15 (3.2 percent) of residential detox facilities.

Residential treatment typically lasts up to 28 days, making it one of the state’s 25 (5.3 percent) of short-term treatment facilities. It follows a regular schedule, which includes individual, group, and family therapy, medication management, and recreational therapy. In the evenings, clients participate in 12-step meetings.

Evidence-based therapies, such as eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR), Seeking Safety, and cognitive processing therapy (CPT), also are available.

Group therapy often takes place in “life stages groups,” which use developmentally appropriate techniques. Split into two different gatherings, the Young Adult Group is for clients between the ages 18 to 30 and emphasizes communication, while the Middle Adult Group focuses on life skills and cooperation.

After residential treatment, clients often move into the rehab's step-down options. The PHP offers the same modalities as the residential program, at a less intensive level but for the same duration of time. The IOP is offered near the campus and another location. The rehab maintains an alumni association with outreach and activities.

Operation Recovery is a specialized program for military veterans, and first responders, which addresses specific experiences of the program participants.

Detox is conducted under the supervision of trained medical personnel. The medical director is a licensed internist and general practitioner who is certified by the American Society of Addiction Medicine. The team includes registered nurses, physician's assistants, certified substance abuse counselors, licensed clinicians, a certified marriage and family therapist, a licensed recreational therapist, and a certified art therapist.

The facility has 139 beds for residential clients. The rooms are shared and somewhat clinical in nature. There is also indoor and outdoor community space. Visitors are welcome on the weekend.

At the time of this writing, more than 45 alumni provided feedback about the Wilmington Treatment Center to Rehabs.com. Reviewers mostly reported solid treatment with a few areas of weakness. Of those, 11 alumni polled on more detailed metrics gave mediocre feedback.

Holistic Offerings: 2.75/5
Family Participation: 3.5/5
Staff Experience and Training: 3.8/5
Affordability: 2.6/5

An anonymous reviewer provided positive feedback "being able to talk without worry" but noted that there was "not enough one on one time with counselors." Another anonymous alum wrote: "I had a great experience and took advantage of everything they had to offer.” On the negative end, reviewers pointed out a lack of programming options and too much free time.

On Facebook, where the facility can manage its own page, Wilmington Treatment Center earned an average rating of 4.5 out of five stars from 86 people at the time of this writing.[1] Several alumni noted how they had previously tried other treatment programs but hadn’t been successful until trying out the program at this facility. The alumni also indicated that the staff was “very helpful.”

More than two dozen reviews from loved ones about the Wilmington Treatment Center were mixed, ranging from very positive to outright negative, though most offered at least some positive feedback. More than 20 loved ones polled on more detailed metrics gave positive average ratings.

Family Participation: 4.1/5
Holistic Offerings: 3.1/5
Cleanliness: 4.1/5
Counseling Options: 3.6/5

Recurring positive feedback was awarded to the staff — one anonymous reviewer described them as “understanding and compassionate” and another said "Very courteous and supportive to the patients" — as well as cleanliness of the facility and treatment effectiveness. Criticism cited a lack of follow-up care, short length of the program, and need for more exercise and leisure options.

Numerous insurance plans are accepted, such as Aetna, Blue Cross Blue Shield, Magellan Health, Medicare, and Tricare.

[1] https://www.facebook.com/pg/wilmington.treatment.center/reviews

Published on August 2019

Jeannette

This place didn't treat my daughter in-law who happens to be pregnant, for 24 hours. They didn't even give her a blanket. How do u promise to treat someone in this condition, and not treat them for a full day. She could have had a seizure. They didn't care. Next step is to report them to Health and Human Services. And anyone who will listen to me.

Michele

I went through the doors here for the first time in October 2016. I stayed 21 days. Went through detox and PHP. After completing the program I went back home, then relapsed. I came back to WTC again in March 2017. This time i did 28 days. I went to all groups, classes, and took notes. My counselor was amazing. It was here that i learned that i have PTSD. So they offered me special classes on that. The staff here was very helpful. I still have contact with most of them today. They taught me what my triggers are and how to deal with them. I now know that i suffer from the disease of addiction. I know that it can't be cured, but I know how to live with it. I will be in recovery for the rest of my life. Today i am greatful to WTC and there staff for saving my life! Greatful to be alive and drug free.

MN

Wilmington Treatment Center saved my life !! Thank you for all I was taught. I was so very impressed with the way I was understood by staff. I was able to express myself freely and come to grips with so many aspects of my life that I needed to let go of, forgive myself for and process. I was able to begin identifying triggers I never knew I had and learn effective communication. My life was destroyed by drugs and my brain too. Thank you for giving me the understanding that addiction is a disease and that I CAN change my behaviors and thoughts to live happy sober and clean. My new path began here at WTC when I was given the chance to grow in a new way, a better way, the right way.

Bill

Place was dirty, majority of the non-professional staff was rude, I was never given a schedule nor went through initial orientation. In the short time I was there, I was never engaged with staff that concentrated on helping me, just taking my medical profiles.

Sarabeth

WTC has saved my life. The counselors go above and beyond.

TG

This place is a joke! All they are after is your money, insurance money and the tax payers money. Please don't fall victim to this place. They should never be allowed to apply or except any grant, state or federal money.

EB

Terrible experience. I was astounded at the lack of professionalism and knowledge of addiction some of these “professionals” actually had. They do whatever is necessary to maximize profits with little regard to actual patient care.

Brenda

This place is a joke they are only concerned about the insurance money.. Patients don't get their meds for their physical conditions administered. My husband is a diabetic and they didn't give him his insulin for several nights. He had to hunt them down to get what he did get. He went to the ER 2 times in 2 weeks because he wasn't getting his meds on time. The employees have a no care attitude about the patients there.They are just drug addicts so why care right? They are more concerned about their policies and procedures than they are their patients. My husband could have died due to a diabetic coma . I would not wish this on my worst enemy. I have been in constant worry about his health while he has been here.

Lynwood

Please do not go here or take a member of your family if you care at all for them.I spent two and a half of the most god awful days of my life at this facility and I am being kind calling it a faclity.It was my understanding that if I found that this place waqs not for me ,I would be allowed to leave no questions asked.They did all but call the police and make me stay and once they realized that my mind was made up,they would not give me my possesions ,wallet,money,phone,ect until 24 hrs after I was released,once they realized that I was going to cause them a heradache,they gave me my property,but would not allow me to wait in the lobby area until my wife could pick me up.I was told that I could either leave the property or be charged with trespassing.They put me on the street with no money,No identification,no nothing.If the police had stopped me with a suitcase hoofing it down the sidewalk,I couldnt even show any ID as to who I was.Thats when I went back and demanded my property,they finally gave in and gave me my property.I never saw a doctor,a phyciatrist or anyone close to being a medicaly trained person excepy a nurse practioione and a third shift nurse to whom I owe my sanity.She told me how to make my escape after I told her my story.She told me that she did not think that this was the right place for me.Enough of tha ,as for the facility itself,The bedroom is two people to a room,I could handle that as my room mate was a good guy except that he snored terribly,no matter though as it was impossible to sleep on a bed that so help me god was like being on the floor,it could not have been any harder if it had been on the floor,No Tv ,no radio,not even a magazine to read was allowed in the rooms.I was not expecting a resort but this place was indescribeable.I would not send my dog there knowing what I do now.The food was not fit for human consumption.It has been 2 months since I left that hellhole and so far I am alcohol free,If thats what it takes to stay sober then I think I am cured as the taste has left me.I got the bill today for two and a half days and it was 2,400.00 that thery charged medicare for.I plan on calling the medicare fraud hotline tomorrow as I truly and honestly believe that this place is nothing more than a place that defrauds medicare and the clientale is so poorly educated that they will not say anything.Most of the patients are so sad that they believe that they are in a hospital and they keep you so doped up with phenobarbital that they dont know the difference.That is the drug of choice there.You get phenobarbitol whether you want it or not.I didnt swallow the pills that they gave me .DO NOT SEND YOUR LOVED ONES TO THIS PLACE.I am an educated person and I do know thge difference between a medical facility and this so called treatment center. Their idea of treatment is to sit all day every day in a common room and listen to former patients who are in recovery tell you about their additions.They dont charge for their services,and thatsd another way they get around spending any money for licensed medical personell.I have been to AA meetings and this facility is exactly like an AA meeting except at an AA meeting there is no charges.Just to set the record straight,You are allowed to use the facilitys telephone after your fourth day,provided that you have earned that right by attending 80% of the daily meetings.The meetings start promptly at 8 oclock in the morning and stops at 4 pm daily.A new meeting is held hourly on the hour which comes to 7 meetings a day .You get an hour off at lunch to go to your room and stare at the ceiling,remember no phones,magazines,or TV in the rooms.Im so glad that I had the opportunity to witness this place for myself and you can bet your sweet ASS I wont be returning.Oh, and I am drink free after 60 days as I promised I would be!!

Connie

If u care about your love ones don't. They are all about money. I worked there 3 months and never seen a patient s room swept or mopped. When there was a discharge the only thing g done was clean bed clothing. Never snacks in detox except maybe 3 days a week. I would never put my love one there. Feel sorry for the patients. These pictures on line look nothing like the real treatment center. Pls check it out. This is the one in Wilmington Treatment Center in Wilmington NC. It should be closed down if it was up to me.

CM

This so-called “treatment center” was absolutely awful 😡. I’ve never been treated so poorly in a place where I was charged so much for being treated poorly 😡. I hated this place! Not only were they not helpful at all to people who were there for the first time, but they also never exhibited any sort of compassion/caring towards the people who happened to be there. All that they’re interested in is getting as many people in there as possible 😡.

CJ

I attended for 35 days in 2015, hopeful about their claimed specialization with military and veterans, dual diagnoses, and the availability of EMDR. It's a large facility that seemed to take all comers from 18-99. They were, objectively, short staffed and spared every expense with regards to food. The professional staff were mostly very skillful and experienced and the non clinical staff seemed mostly to be college students in mental health programs. WTC helped immensely, I met some great friends, and having had a relapse I'm looking for someplace a little closer to home this time.

HB

WARNING - I put my cousin in rehab here for drug abuse (meth mostly). I was told he would not be allowed contact with family for the first 2 weeks while we worked the program. Starting on day 2, they allowed her to use they’re land line phone to call her drug using friend . And she was allowed to call them everyday. Needless to say, that sunk her chances of success and she left rehab to reunite with her drug life. $9500 later. Don’t waste your money.

DMR

Marginal treatment and facilities, overcrowded, understaffed. But, Sobriety can be had here if you want it!

DP

Horrible! Do NOT send your loved ones here. Its a disgrace that they are even open.

L

Get it together.

William

Thankfully I can say that I have remained sober since March 19, 2018, when I finally admitted that I needed help with substance abuse and prescription medication. It was at Wilmington Treatment Center where I was introduced to the adequate tools to become sober and remain that way with help from my higher power. I now understand that I needed the professional medical attention that I received at WTC to taper my dependency of prescription medication. First thing I have to admit is that even if it's MY RECOVERY, that it's not all about me. There are others there that needed help that maybe didn't have the same beliefs I do. That's ok. In this world find your place, it's ok, not to be ok. We all have problems and struggles. First of all reach out, get the help needed to live a full life. In life I don't think that we will ever be able to find a perfect place. I know now that there is purpose in every place and situation that i encounter. First of all, I had to remember why I was there to begin with. It was due to my bad choices in the way that I lived my life. I have learned to give my higher power and WTC all the credit for helping me to become and remain free from addition to opioids and prescription medication. Thank you Wilmington Treatment Center for getting me on the right track, now it's up to me, and I choose to remain sober.

Amanda

I have worked in many facilities for addiction. I have recently sent someone who is a loved one to this facility and I can assure you this place is not equipped to deal with someone who is coming off of maintenance AKA Suboxone. They do not have the caseload the staff nor do they have the knowledge to prepare a proper treatment plan or work effectively on a caseload when they're managing 150 patients and at maximum . This place has truly disgusted me and I have worked in pretty bad places but this place takes top-notch it's not what it was in 2010 when the opiate epidemic started to bloom. If your loved one is looking for a facility I strongly suggest please going to an Al-Anon or nar-anon meeting and ask someone for advice and have your loved one go to an AA na CA or Coda meeting and finding someone who has a year or more with a working knowledge of the twelve steps and twelve traditions as their primary purpose is to share their experience strength and Hope. You guys are truly a disgrace to treating an addict like an addict when someone is there to get off of Suboxone who's been on it for years as maintenance. it's truly sickening to think a place where we send our loved ones is safe Falls in to The Stereotype that Society puts on an addict.

Chip

Over all I owe a lot of my sobriety and life to the staff. Once I was ready the second time I was there they gave me the ability to deal with life with not resorting to alcohol for help. I’m almost 5 yrs sober And having a great time. I stayed in touch with the staff and go back when I can just to see the staff and talk to patients if they want. People need to realize this is not a beach resort but a facility to help save lives.

Keith

The facility is pretty bare bones. One main factor for people choosing this rehab center is the fact that they allow smoking. I have been here several times and the staff has always been helpful. Thank you everyone. This time around it was a benzo problem. Although I don't really agree with their phenobarbital substitution taper protocol for alcohol/benzo withdrawal, I guess it is better than fishing out on your bedroom floor. Two things are a certainty here: You most likely will get sick, i.e. bronchitis, a gastrointestinal infection or throat ailment. And you will have powdered eggs and grits for breakfast. They don't treat you on site anymore. The insurance companies want it this way I am told. When you can't take it anymore you have to have a TA take you to New Hanover or Medac. It is what it is. You can get sober here if you choose to just make sure you constantly wash your hands and use sanitizer. The level of sickness displayed by patients is shocking.

Jt

It would take me too long to type. Honestly I'm not sure how they are in business from nutrition to staffing it's just so wrong.

A

Horrible place I think it's all about them making money the staff was horrible as well

okay facility with moderate effectiveness. great location and variety of activities. very little follow up.

MWF

Upon admission they take your valuables (wallet, driver's license, identification cards, bank cards etc) and hold them for you in safe keeping so you can't leave. They even take your suitcase for the same reason. When voluntary patients decide they have had enough they are lied to by staff and told "You can go but your valuables are in a time locked safe and you can't have them" or "If you leave against medical advise your insurance company will make you responsbile for all the bills" or any other number of lies to keep you. If that doesn't work they will begin to call your loved ones that you put on the list to authroize them to "update" or "provide information" to and scare the hell out of them and remind them that your not ready or that you are acting out and that you should not be allowed home. This place is owned by Acadia Healthcare (stock ticker ACHC) and all they care about is exploiting everyone for every dime they can get from their health insurance companies. The food is what you'd expect in prison or county jail; all phone calls are monitored to make sure they can listen and you don't feel comfortable telling your loved one's what exactly you are going through. When your insurance company is done paying for all the days your are eligable for 24 hour inpatient hospitalization then you go to Intensive Outpatience Housing with all your clothes in a platic tub (to make sure you don't leave they will not return your suitcase orvaluables). The classes are senseless and group therapy a joke. This is par for the course for Arcadia Healthcare Inc who is more interested in T. Rowe Price and Blackrock buying up their stock then they are about helping anyone. If you've had a bad experience then complain to the North Carolina Dept of Health & Human Services and the NC Attorney Genral's Office. The quicker these operations are shut down the sooner people can be helped by organizations that truly care about people with drug and alcohol addiciton.

Shannon

"I started here with a phone call at home after withdrawing 4 days in my bedroom. they stated they would pick me up in an hour. I was hesitant because I had no money but I got my stuff together and went anyway. I got into detox and there was nursing staff that talked with me and how her children were suffering from addiction and how she wouldn't allow them home. Her son got clean and she told me I can do it. The next day I was miserable and wanted to leave. I cursed out the staff and made a scene. I made through that day and through detox which was a good experience considering how difficult it can be to detox. I moved to Rehab and got angry again. Despite being angry I worked with staff, remained in treatment, completed my treatment program after 16 yeas of heavy drug use. I appreciate the staff and how they worked with me since I am a tough cookie. The trauma counselor, was the best resource in the treatment center. Other counselors, helped me as well. I sit here today sober and proud of myself. I appreciate the opportunity to come to here and I stayed because this was the first treatment center that showed me they cared. They went above and beyond for me. There is love here, they really care."

ECP

This place is a joke. While there visiting my husband before My children and I could see him they made me sit through an hour and a half of this elderly lady giving me and other visitors her life story. It was ridiculous. They don’t attend “real classes”. Patients literly watch movies all day. You can have women/men in the patents bedrooms. No one says anything. How is this place even open???? They charge insurance companies $38.00 per plate of food received by each patient. But serve the patient $2.00 meals. Disgusting meals. This place needs to be shut down. Wash your hands when you leave.

Sp

My son stayed here horrible experience. They took $1500 to get him in and stated take rest of whatever insurance would pay. After 10 days insurance didn't want to pay the questioned my son at all his counseling meetings about money. Finally took him out. Then bills for prescriptions were coming in because they were giving him more then the allotted amount in a period of time so nsurance wouldn't pay. They have now sent the bill over to collections. I say they should pay for it for the extra pressure and anxiety they put on my son who was trying to get help to stay clean. This place should be shut down!

W R

My stay there was awful .From the cafeteria to actual counciling this place was always unprepared an always placing the blame on anyone and everyone instead of admitting that they were the one who was at faught.This is a place that just wants money from your insurance.As soon as they done paying. Your out baby.No respect from the councilors hippo law is not inforsed.security well there was none.Rats an roaches are infested in the off campus houses.Insurance company’s should really need to check into this.drugs are smuggled in daily and patients share prescribed ones.FDA should also check into this. It was one awful rehabilitation center I would never suggest to anyone anywhere. The food was awful because of lack of employee s which might say something about the management there.

AH

Horable experience. Doctors are non-existent. Therapy is non-existent. This place should be shut down.

JT

My daughter arranged on her own to attend Wilmington treatment center. They stated she could attend the 30 days and would accept what insurance paid if she came up with $1500 which she did. After 10 days they said she needs to be discharged and took took her to a street corner. They refused to keep her safe until I could pick her up and I had a 4 hours drive. She had no phone, money or food. She is now getting bills for $8000 of which they have now turned over to a collection agency. Do not attend this treatment center. It is a big racket.

CBM

I was a voluntarily patient at WTC back in March and April of this year. Like most people trying to kick an addiction I really didn't want to be there. I was a tough cookie to the staff and made everyone's job that much harder....today I feel horrible about that! I was so consumed in my own hell and I was hurting on the inside so bad that I took it out on the people that cared about me. I was there for 15 yrs of opioid abuse and several other pills added to that. I was at the end of my rope....I had hit the very bottom! The staff never tried to overstep their boundaries with me...they were always there to listen to me and help me come up with different plans. I'm in my 30s, military background, and was very much out of my comfort zone! WTC is not the Hilton....but if u truly want to get clean then you do what u have to do. It's a clean place and the food isn't terrible. Once I jumped into the program, started hanging out with the other people who were sincere about their recovery, and just surrendered to letting someone else help me.....things started to turn around for the better! I owe WTC my life.....they helped me find me again! I truly feel if u want help this is the place to get it. There were days I wanted to lose my mind but I would knock on an employee door and even if they were busy they would take their time to talk to me. I am about to enter 6 months of sobriety.....and this is huge for me! I couldn't have done this without the help of everyone at WTC.....from the staff, to the lunch ladies, and housekeeping.....they truly do care. I never dreamed I could stop talking all the medications I was on.....I was in bad shape! I also met some great friends that r walking this clean and sober journey with me ...so many blessings came from WTC. If u of your loved one wants something and they want it bad then it's time for them to lace those boots up and go to war. It will be the best decision u or they will ever make! I promise u the staff will be there for your loved one.....get help before it's too late!

NH

This facility is full of way to may people that have visited at minimal of 3 separate occasions. There is no organization or proper treatment there. Nothing offered to hydrate properly sick folks. No where to sit in a warm tub to sooth your aching bodu Armpit of Wilmington.you will not be able to have your extra belongings. I had as had others had not smoked a cigarette in years. You will smoke again because you cannot have your electronic cigs.this place is a 1star by FAR. INSURANCE SHOULD NOT USE ETC THERE IS SO MUCH MOR

Mother

My son went to Wilmington Treatment Center. He signed the necessary papers for us to contact him and for us to call for updates. We were not given the STEPS necessary to do this the proper way, so we called and called and could not get through. We had to get in touch with every phone number online to get someone at a different location to get a message to the WTC to get some feedback. The communication and professionalism is not there. ... From what I have witnessed, they are simply running a production line of pushing one out in order to get the next payment from the new client. We tried for 4 months (and my son\'s local doctor) to get record sent to us so that we could file insurance for costs we had incurred. Had to threaten to get a lawyer, then the records came in two days. Their excuse, they were going to file the insurance. THIS IS WERE IT GETS INTERESTING: WE HAD ALREADY PAID FOR THE SERVICES, SO THEY HAD NO RIGHT TO TRY TO FILE INSURANCE TO GET MORE MONEY FOR THE SAME SERVICE.

Randy

Our son recently completed detox/rehab over a 30 day period. Overall, the experience was a positive one and he continues his recovery in a local residence program. Small groups and medical/professional support were a positive. Food was cafeteria like. Need more variety and healthier options. The weekend program for family/friends is informative and a good support network. One shortcoming is the lack of truly developing an exit strategy/plan. The Sunday family meeting stresses the importance of developing a strong exit plan but our experience was very weak. It is important to start discussing the recovery plan for post Wilmington Treatment Center before the last week of rehab.

Julie

Families beware. I brought my daughter to this facility for treatment. I was very concerned that she would leave treatment and I would not know. She was there voluntarily and she is over 18. They assured me that i would be contacted if that happened. Her third week there I stopped hearing from her, no one at the facilty would return my calls. After a week I realized she must be gone. I called again and asked for the director, they refused to let me speak to the director or even give me a name. Days later my daughter finally got in touch with me. I drove 4 hours to get her. I found out later that she had been kicked out of rehab even though her drug tests were clean for \'suspicion\'. They did not call anyone. Im sure my insurance will be billed and the facility will receive full payment even though that kind of care is in my opinion, the worst kind. They are supposed to be helping addicts and families. Someone should take a hard look at policies of these places that claim to be helping people. They dont seem very interested in the safety of their own paying clients.

My daughter told her husband that she called her girlfriend because the counselor told her to do it

Structure of day, staff was excellent. More exercise options, yoga, meditation classes This 30 day program was excellent at handling the detox process the first week, patient was well-informed as to what to expect.

There was no waiting list at this facility. They need to have a person in the housing area at night to supervise behavior of patients This was my first experience with this type of facility and it was expensive and did not really help my family member that spent 30 days at the facility. I would not agree for them to return for additional treatment.

Jeffrey

How can this play be rated more then 1 star? I went through there twice in 2015 and it was a joke. It needs to really be shut down. Every corner is cut to improve profit margins. The counselor to patient ratio is extremely high. It is a viable location to detox and get 28 days but you will have no program when you leave. Stay away. There are better rehabs in NC. Look for non profits.

Deborah

Very courteous and supportive to the patients. They allowed patients to call and have visits with anyone they wanted regardless it that person was the one who helped them get their supply of drugs. My daughter was released after 2 weeks. She WAS NOT ready. She relapsed the SAME DAY!!!! Dont allow anyone but immediate family to be in contact with their loved one while in treatment.

On site AA and NA meetings. Onsite chapel church services, experience healing with music, leisure activities, and yoga. Discharge planning and help getting into a sober house. Lots of staff are in recovery as well and can relate to patients. I stayed 28 days inpatient and didn't even want to leave. I learned a lot and realized I was not alone. I had group and individual therapy. I actually had fun while I was there. I had a great experience and took advantage of everything they had to offer. With that said, I went in ready to get sober for good! If you're not ready for that than no rehab can help you!

Insurance covered it. Needs more than relying on aa. It did the job and gave help I needed

no computers or a lot of after care they set strong standards that every one takes time to parpisapate in group discussians

Well trained, clean, pleasant. Not up to date with technology, somewhat understaffed. A good center that helped me a lot. I would recommend this center to those in need, for sure.

Understanding and compassionate. Disorganized. Great experience and very understanding

The facility was convenient to our family and relatively easy to gain admission to. The counselors did not have ample time to devote to individual needs. For the cost of treatment, food was just so-so, and there was no internet connectivity. The program to help educate and train family members was really good. I feel that the patients do not get all that they need and have paid for, in a facility that is this expensive.

Being able to talk without worry. Not enough one on one time with counselors. They offer you what you need and it's up to you as to whether you use the tools or not.

People were nice

they focus on cour problems. no church sevises for all denomanations on sundays. more informed on the classies you need to attened let you no before hand not on a bourd

They have 30 day rehab plans. They need to have weekly drug test performed in a manner that can not be faked. The family member stated how drugs was still being used without the center knowing that it was happening.

MAF

They didn't keep them long enough. There was not any follow-up. When they went back to drinking I called the counselor but I never received a call back. I called because they broke their neck after drinking. I feel that if a person goes to the same treatment center 2 times in one month not to mention 2 other times. I feel that it was detox only.

They were recommended to me by family. The treatment and accommodations were great.

Adam

They do have a few caring staff members and it is a smoke friendly facility. They have old buildings and they need more nutritious food. It is an overall good treatment facility!

They are out to make money off insurance companies. Stay away.

The staff is pleasant and seem to care. However, physical activities are lacking and grouping patients by age would be helpful.

The staff was good and well experienced. However, there is a lack of follow up.

Strengths include: cleanliness, treatment effectiveness, counseling, physical fitness. The location was the only downfall. I think it is a great place.

The medical doctor was great; however, they need to fill the idle time between sessions.

A friend went there are made a full recovery from his addiction. The staff is great.

The medications they provided were beneficial. However, there was too much free time during the day and it was way too long.

Great place to go for treatment of substance abuse. The staff and employees were great.

The staff was excellent; they really care and they really listen with no judgment.

The facility is clean and well-maintained. The food was alright though, not outstanding. There were not enough counselors on staff to provide the one on one therapy that patients need. There also were no discharge plans for further counseling once the treatment period ended. Overall, the patient may as well have stayed 30 days in a hotel room, with someone to keep tabs on her, for the amount of therapy that she actually received.

The counselors were well trained and caring; there was great one-on-one care.

Mandy

Other people have had good experiences at this program. Son had "new counselor" and didn't feel she knew a lot. Counselor for family program was awful. However, they kept my son for two weeks and got him away from his girlfriend's enabling family.

Lori

Overall effectiveness of counselors was good. Met good people and they were honest about their situation. Price was an obstacle. Overall a good experience, from 1 to 10 it was about a 6.

Elizabeth

At the time I was there the staff had a strong TA staff who had direct experience with addiction - it felt supportive and I hope that has developed into a more formal peer program. The Medical director was very knowledgable and supportive of a variety of treatment modalities - I left with a clear understanding that I needed to use every tool available to me! i was there almost 9 years ago. Things may have changed. When I was there the focus was very 12 steps, with not a whole lot of info on other recovery options. Direction toward Smart Recovery, CBT, DBT - all would have been invaluable. The insurance issues are obviously a problem everywhere. I was able to stay a very long time - others not nearly long enough. Another issue was the mixing of the genders. Way too much boy/girl drama! I believe later mixing was limited. Here is what I have learned about getting clean and sober. It would not have mattered what the facility offered. I was ready. I was teachable. Yes there are things that on reflection it would have been nice to have been offered - but the reality is that I was on the verge of dying. I heard what I needed to hear when I needed to hear it. Skilled professionals had said the same things to me, offered the same treatment at other facilities but I was prepared. It's not about the building, facilities or even the people delivering the services so much as the willingness to listen.

WC

The staff was extremely supportive and they had good holistic offerings.

They helped me get aftercare. It worked for me-- I started the 12 Steps.

MLF

This place is all about the money. They do not care about the patients well being. When my son was discharged tried for weeks to have his medical records released so he could continue treatment elsewhere. They almost refused to release them. We have made three trips to the facility and been given the run around each and every time, always an excuse: discharge nurse is not in, paperwork not at this facility, etc.

The rehab facility was clean. The food was so so. It is a group oriented approach. I wish there was more one on one time. This treatment facility relies heavily on the 12 steps. I believe this helps many people but is not a one size fits all approach. This is how they teach it too. It lays good groundwork and anyone who wants help and is willing to go with the treatment will have a good stay. At that point in my life I did not get what I needed from them. This was probably because I was young and still in a denial phase. It took me about 5 years after being in the facility to finally quit drinking.

Son went for wrong reason and did not follow through after leaving.

The Utilization Review Department falsifies information to the insurance nurse so the patient can stay longer.

SGVH

It was a truly great facility.

WTC is not a 5 star resort like some of the other treatment places you can go too, but what it lacks in amenities (swimming pools, fitness room) in makes up for in people who care about getting you the treatment you need.

Jim

All the patients and facility members made you feel extremely welcome. Was an extremely easy facility to feel welcomed and comfortable at.

Trent

They offered assistance with half way house.