Windward Way Recovery in Costa Mesa, CA

2801 Bristol Street Suite 110
Costa Mesa CA 92626

Windward Way Recovery Philosophy

Our clinically supervised treatment programs assist men in developing & maintaining the foundations of recovery. Our clinically supervised treatment programs assist clients in developing and improving real-world traits that include such things as responsibility, accountability and — structure.

• Detox
    Though not all rehab facilities offer “medical detoxification,” all people with an addiction to drugs or alcohol will experience intense physical and emotional changes and discomfort as their bodies react to withdrawal of the addictive substance. Many people use the term “detox” to refer to the period of time (ranging from a few days to a week) when the body is reacting to an addict’s decision to stop using.

• Individualized Treatment
    Some facilities have an addiction treatment protocol that all patients or clients are expected to follow, while others customize or individualize treatment based on a person’s unique needs and circumstances. Factors that may affect treatment decisions include age, lifestyle, medical conditions, type of drug, religious beliefs, etc.

Equine Therapy

Dialectical Behavioral Therapy

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy

Veronica Parker, LMFT

Therapist

Veronica is a licensed Marriage and Family Therapist with over ten years of clinical experience. She has worked as a therapist in various treatment centers and mental health clinics on a vast array of emotional and behavioral issues including dual diagnosis, substance abuse, trauma, grief and loss, and emotion regulation deficits. She has also previously held positions as an adventure therapist and clinical director. Veronica specializes in Trauma Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (TFCBT), Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT), and Parent Child Interaction Therapy (PCIT).

Jeremy Broderick

Founder

Jeremy’s goal is to create a seamless transition from treatment of substance abuse and co-occurring mental health issues to long-term recovery. And his expertise in consistently achieving that goal comes from years of working in all facets of recovery. As founder and executive director of Windward Way, Jeremy keeps his feet on the ground by remaining heavily involved in the local recovery community, holding several volunteer positions. He maintains professional associations with NAMI, NAATP and NAPHS, and he’s an Orange County Sober Living Coalition member in good standing.

ABOUT WINDWARD WAY RECOVERY

Windward Way Recovery, in the sunny southern California city of Costa Mesa, provides a full continuum of comprehensive treatment for adult men aged 18 to 45 struggling with substance abuse. This includes residential and outpatient-based treatment. The facility is also part of the 15 percent of residential facilities in California to offer non-hospital detox services on-site. Services for men dealing with co-occurring mental health concerns are also available.

Individualized treatment at Windward Way Recovery begins with clinically supervised detoxification as needed. The center follows a five-phase system: detoxification, residential treatment, day treatment, intensive outpatient program (IOP), and general outpatient services. It is part of the 52.3 percent of facilities to offer a program specifically tailored to men.

The center blends evidence-based therapies including cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) and dialectical behavioral therapy (DBT) with holistic and experiencial therapies. Clients will participate in individual, group, and family therapy and are introduced to the 12-step model of recovery. During the last stage of treatment, clients also work with clinicians to develop comprehensive aftercare plans.

Holistic treatments like BioSound therapy, equine therapy, yoga, acupuncture, physical activity, and rope course challenges are incorporated into treatment. Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR) sessions are also available to address trauma-related concerns. Career and academic counseling and marriage and/or family therapy may be also be incorporated into programming. The facility also offers individualized treatment for PTSD addiction.

Windward Way Recovery’s multidisciplinary staff includes master’s-level mental health and substance abuse counselors, nurses, case managers, intake specialists, psychiatrists, yoga and meditation therapists, and admissions coordinators. Some of the facility’s staff are in recovery. Windward Way is CARF-accredited and is part of the 13.9 percent of facilities in the state to be accredited by The Joint Commission.. To date, the 18 individuals polled by Rehabs.com on the matter praised the aptitude of staff members.

Staff Experience and Training: 4.8/5

Clients of Windward Way Recovery reside in shared or private rooms with modern furnishings. The residence includes dining and living rooms, an on-site pool and hot tub, and outdoor patios. The facility’s Adventure Program allows residents to participate in outdoor recreational activities including kayaking, hiking, paddle boarding, whitewater rafting, and more. To date, the 18 individuals polled by Rehabs.com on the matter reported clean and well-maintained facilities.

Cleanliness and Upkeep: 4.8/5

The 13 alumni surveyed by Rehabs.com to date gave Windward Way Recovery excellent reviews, with several alumni citing “caring,” “supportive,” and “helpful” staff as a strength of the facility. Four alumni thanked the facility for saving their lives. Overall, the alumni gave excellent average ratings for the training and experience of staff, exercise and leisure activities available, counseling options, affordability, cleanliness, and family participation.

Exercise and Leisure Activities: 4.8/5
Counseling Options: 4.7/5
Family Participation: 4.6/5

“Windward was the best decision i ever made. The staff cared about me and showed me how to live life sober,” wrote former client A.K, while alum B.C. added: "Having bounced around other facilities with no success windward way offered me a safe structured environment that facilitated growth.”

The four loved ones polled by Rehabs.com to date also appreciated the facility and echoed alumni praise for staff. All loved ones surveyed indicated that they’d recommend treatment at Windward Way Recovery with perfect five out of five-star ratings. In addition, the loved ones gave excellent ratings for the amount of family participation and holistic offerings.

Likelihood to Recommend: 5/5
Holistic Offerings: 5/5
Family Participation: 4.5/5

“The staff was amazing at all levels, their program is industry leading, and their commitment to their clients is unwavering,” wrote Chris, the sibling of an alum, wrote in a representative review. “I can undoubtedly say Windward Way is responsible for saving my brothers life and giving him the opportunity to live a meaningful & purposeful life.”

The two staff members polled by Rehabs.com to date also provided positive feedback for Windward Way Recovery. Staff members highlighted caring co-workers and called the facility one of “the best” in the industry. “Windward Way has the finest drug addiction recovery campus in Southern California,” Robbie wrote in a representative review. “Their team is probably the best I have ever worked with and most important, they produce results.” Both staff members gave high four and five-star ratings for the amount of family participation, counseling options, holistic offerings, and visitor policies.

Windward Way Recovery accepts health insurance and private pay, and offers financial assistance to qualifying individuals. It is in-network with Cigna, Blue California, and Magellan Health. To date, the 18 individuals polled by Rehabs.com on the matter appreciated the facility's overall cost.

Affordability: 4.7/5

Published on February 2019

DB

After sixteen years clean and sober I relapsed. I arrived at Windward Way emotionally paralyzed, raw, hopeless, and suicidal. From the moment I arrived I knew my decision to seek help was the seed to a brighter future. The shame in admittance of my powerlessness quickly changed from a deep rooted shame into a positive, as my journey unfolded that helplessness shifted to strength. I became proactive as I embraced a gift not many get to experience in life the gift in taking time to work on self, and work I did. I found that surrendering was not defeat as the team allowed me to feel safe enough to let go to deal with the circumstances of my life. Windward Way literally saved my life due to the immense support of Windward Way’s clinical team, my case manager, doctor, therapist, and the genuine generosity of the support staff. Yet the greatest value was the fellowship of like minds as I maneuvered through each day, some difficult, some joyous gradually rooting in self awareness, love and achievements. I found that the longer time I took to work on my self the better self I was becoming, that for every time I reached the top of a mountain a new mountain appears and to just keep climbing providing me a foundation to live life on life’s terms. David B.

Cs

Very unreliable staff

My son doing very well despite the number of clients that are relapsing. His case manager, is absolutely fabulous. He calls me every week to provide a status update with my son's success. The case manager is wonderful. He calls me every Friday with a status update. I have never ever had this type of communication with any other treatment facility. Lack of holistic offerings. Lack of activities on the weekend.

Chris

I had a exceptional experience at Windward Way. If you are serious about getting sober and willing to put in the work, there are many helpful activities that are offered.

As a parent of a young adult that has an addiction, I have to say Windward Way facilitates clients in understanding the psychology of addiction and impulsivity. The staff truly cares for clients and do what they can to give clients the tools to overcome addiction and live hopefully a solid life. Each client is treated as an individual. The case managers can seem harsh at first. However, their goal is to assist clients in decompressing from family and locking into their personal issues and get to the roots of the clients concerns and treat the underlying psychological triggers that tend to lead to addiction. Awareness, is key. My son has been to 6 treatment centers. Here he was given the time and care necessary to ensure the utmost of success long term. Though it is up to the client to relapse or obtain the goal of sobriety, I feel the tools are instilled to the best of the ability of staff. The clinic is well run. Clients are well monitored and clients are motivated to phase up by working steps and accepting responsibility. Most importantly, family need to understand they also are in a form of recovery as well. The family weekend is essential to understanding what the clients go through in learning, including 12 step, meditation, yoga, and bonding with other clients and staff. When I first visited the clinic the staff were well dressed and very serious about their jobs in caring for their clients. They enjoy watching alumni visit weekly when possible. Restoration of family is possible if all members lock into understanding of personal awareness in playing a role in addiction. My son is a healthier, happier man. I am grateful for the staff of Windward Way. Thank you for what you do.

Michael

Great personal, outstanding program, Highly recommend this facility

Nick

Supportive and encouraging staff, cleanliness, accommodations and they actually care about you, your sobriety and your success in life. Your not allowed to drink energy drinks. Ive been to a few treatment facility and did not have any success until I went through windward. The staff is amazing and being an Alumni gives you a sense of family. Windward saved my life.

Daniel

Duel diagnosis, Cleanly, Organized, amenities, group and individual therapy. This program saved my life.

S M

Staff, cleanliness, effectiveness; were all strength. This facility helped me through my struggles with addiction. They showed me how to deal with life on life's terms. I would recommend this facility to anyone who is looking for a second chance at life.

Chris

They have created an environment that is very conducive to recovery as well as building life skills and creating relationships with other like minded individuals in the recovery community. They were very welcoming, accommodating, and provided a level of service that I have never experienced anywhere else. The cost of treatment was on the more expensive side, although it was well worth it. My brother was struggling with heroin addiction for many years beginning at the age of 16. He had made multiple attempts at sobriety and had been in and out of several different treatment facilities by the age of 22, all of them only bringing brief periods of success before he inevitably feel back into his own ways. My family and I were getting to a point where we felt that the situation was almost hopeless. We were physically, emotionally, and financially drained. In a desperate final attempt to save my brother my family reached out to Windward Way. The staff was amazing at all levels, their program is industry leading, and their commitment to their clients is unwavering. I am so very thankful for all they have done for me and my family. I can undoubtedly say Windward Way is responsible for saving my brothers life and giving him the opportunity to live a meaningful & purposeful life.

Taylor

Staff was a strength. Communication can be improved. Windward Way goes above and beyond what typical substance abuse treatment is.

Michael

Windward Way gave me amazing direction on how to be a functioning member of society and exposure to a community of happy health sober people. Their facilities and housing are much nicer than the other treatment centers I looked into before admitting and their staff is made up of some of the most caring and insightful people I have ever met. The hot tub takes 20 minutes to heat up. I can honestly say that I probably would not be alive today if I hadn't come to Windward Way. Today I can maintain long term sobriety and have the love and respect of my family and friends back.

C N

Client care comes first, staff across the board shows a sense of compassion for the clients. Availability of in house activities was a weakness. I have worked in detox for two facilities these past 3 years and the difference between Windard Way Recovery and my precious place of employment is night and day. Work environment is awesome and the clients seem to feed off that staff actually enjoy their jobs.

Todd

Clients come first, which was as strength. Family programs need improvement. Great clinical team, great location, go to great meetings

Ian

Great Staff, Individualized programming, Adventure Program (Outpatient) Not Joint Commission Accredited

Robbie

Windward Way has the finest drug addiction recovery campus in Southern California. They have successfully treated thousands of patients and they specialize in all forms of drug addictions. The therapists and case managers are incredible and the entire clinical team is probably the best I have ever seen. I will/have recommend any and all loved ones suffering with drug addiction to Windward Way all day everyday! If you have a loved one suffering with drug addiction or mental illness, I would strongly recommend to consider Windward Way Recovery. Their team is probably the best I have ever worked with and most important, they produce results. Your child/loved one can beat addiction...they can be normal again. Windward Way Recovery is the place for every person in America suffering from Drug Addiction & Mental Illness...

David

Has a strong balance of working on personal problems and acclimation to alcoholic anonymous. Windward way completely saved my life. They gave me an opportunity to work on myself and overcome obsticles in my life I ever thought I'd be able to overcome. The counselors really get to know you for who you are and who you want to become. They assured my family that I was in good hands. With the help I got from windward way and there strong ecouragment in getting involved in alcoholics anonymous I can now say that I am a sober man and have a life beyond my wildest dreams.

D R R

Great staff, nice houses, cool vans, great program and education. Disorganized at times. I really enjoyed my time at Windward, It seems like one of the staff members really cares about the clients and makes sure things run smoothly. Another woman is the best, she really helped me to feel like i wasn't alone during one of the worst times in my life.

J E L

The staff plain and simple was a strength. Most of the staff are recovering addicts who change their life around, went to school, and now want to help others. They do not act condescending, but more like people who know and want to Make a difference. They showed such success with my family member that it's hard to say something bad. Maybe offering more holistic activities like massage and yoga more often than they did would have been nice. But what they did worked so it's hard to not-pick. My family member was struggling. I didn't think anyone would help. I went to them and sent my family member there on a recommendation. I had heard they were strong but fair, and strong is what my family member needed. My family member was not happy At first, but in my opinion it's because it was working. I now have them back in my life and sober. Never been more grateful.

B C

Strong community, safe atmosphere, helpful staff. Having bounced around other facilities with no success windward way offered me a safe structured environment that facilitated growth.

A K

Staff members truely care about the well being of each person in treatment. I was well taken care of, and the houses were nice but lacking faith-based program was a weakness. Windward was the best decision i ever made. The staff cared about me and showed me how to live life sober. I am forever grateful

Ryan

Staff Adventure program Clinical team Facilities Transportation were all strengths. Windward Way offers one of the best drug and alcohol rehabilitation programs around. Between the incredible staff and different clinical services offered, Windward has an extremely high success rate if the client has the appropriate willingness to recover.

G R

Community, Treatment Planning, Clinical Staff, Life Skills; were all strengths. Windward Way saved my life, and because of it I now have 2 years sober. Thanks Windward Way.