Wyoming Behavioral Institute in Casper, WY

Psycho-Educational Groups
Group Therapy
Medication Management

ABOUT WYOMING BEHAVIORAL INSTITUTE

Wyoming Behavioral Institute is a private acute-care psychiatric hospital that provides treatment for children, adolescents, and adults seeking treatment for substance abuse, co-occurring, and other behavioral health concerns. Substance abuse treatment options include detox, residential, and outpatient treatment.

Treatment at Wyoming Behavioral Institute begins with an assessment with an intake specialist. Specialists are available 24/7 to coordinate the admissions process. Clients in need of stabilization are referred to the detox unit or the crisis unit. An individualized treatment plan is created, and clients begin the treatment process.

The length of treatment varies from case to case but is generally between seven and 10 days for adult inpatients. Treatment methods include individual, group, and family therapy, 12-step support groups, aftercare planning, expressive therapy, medication education and management.

The treatment plan focuses on attainable goals established with the input of the client's family and referring professionals, if appropriate. Active family involvement in treatment is considered a critical component of the client’s recovery. Family members are invited to participate in family counseling and educational sessions.

Aside from clinical treatments, clients also participate in educational courses. Clients focus on identifying problem behaviors and the skills needed to prevent them. Sober living and coping skills are a major focus in these courses. Clients’ families also participate in these courses to rebuild family ties and to create a support network.

Longer-term residential care is available for adolescents only, at the Pathways residential program, a therapeutic community that offers treatment for a range of mental and behavioral health disorders. The program offers treatment for a wide range of conditions including behavioral problems caused by mistreatment, neglect, and loss. Younger clients can enroll in a similar program called Pathfinders which is for children under 12 years old.

The treatment team at Wyoming Behavioral Institute includes numerous psychiatrists, nurses, licensed professional counselors, and licensed clinical social workers, plus a chaplain. The two individuals polled on the staff’s level of training and experience at the time of this writing gave it two and four stars out of five.

Wyoming Behavioral Institute is a 85-bed facility. The facility is mostly clinical with some areas modified to be more homelike. Clients live in shared bedrooms with few amenities. There’s a school on-site for elementary, junior high, and high school students. The facility maintains a locked doors policy in order to keep residents and clients in, while keeping others out of restricted areas for children and at-risk clients. The outside of the facility is well maintained with sitting areas surrounded by various small plants and trees.

The single alum review submitted to Rehabs.com at the time of this writing was very negative. “If you value your life do not go here!! ... unclean, and terrifying!! STAY AWAY FROM HERE,” alum J.L. wrote. The alum gave one out of five stars for treatment effectiveness, accommodations and amenities, and meals and nutrition.

On Google, the Wyoming Behavioral Institute earned an average rating of two out of five stars from 35 reviews to date. [1] Many of the reviews were extremely negative and cited instances of poor medication management, where clients were given too high of dosages. In a representative review, alum Christina wrote: “Inaccurate medication knowledge. Medication prescribed may have interaction problems, but they will tell you they don't.”

On YellowPages.com, the facility received a 1.5 out of five star rating from 11 reviews. [2] Alumni noted how there weren’t enough staff members and how medications were poorly managed. Alum Rachel wrote: “were given out but the patients were forced to take them. They over-medicated my roommate and never checked on her.” On Yelp, reviewers left similar comments regarding poor treatment conditions and the facility received 11 one out of five star reviews. [3]

The three loved ones polled by Rehabs.com at the time of this writing gave mixed feedback. Though two of the loved ones who completed a survey gave the facility four out of five stars for the overall quality of its treatment and its family program, one said they would recommend treatment at Wyoming Behavioral Institute while the other would not.

The third loved one gave an extremely negative review, with one out of five stars given for treatment effectiveness. Loved one D.J.Z. criticized staff communication and the lack of aftercare planning. They wrote: “ My family member was discharged, the facility forgot to return the medications that were brought and also did not give the medications that were newly prescribed. I called twice...the cell number that I am supposed to use because it was given to me but no return call regarding medications. No explanations to the family...what was done, why was it done, what is the outcome to be, what should we expect, how do we continue to handle the situation, what meds were changed, how can we obtain long-term favorable results, how can we help support our family member as a family? No discussion along these lines...just here are his appointments”

Wyoming Behavioral Institute accepts Medicaid and most other forms of insurance.

[1] http://goo.gl/lE7uhR
[2] http://www.yellowpages.com/casper-wy/mip/wyoming-behavioral-institute-5749249?lid=5749249
[3] https://www.yelp.com/biz/wyoming-behavioral-institute-casper

Published on February 2018

DJZ

I am very disappointed in the services and staff at this facility. I had to admit a family member in a crises situation. I had consent from that family member to access this system but it was to no avail. It took 6 phone calls just to find out who the therapist would be. That person told me that the staff is there to work for the patient as well as the family. I had several questions, none of which were answered. Every time I tried to ask a question, an emergent phone call or page needed to be answered and I was told I would be called back. IF I got a call back, no research had been done and no answers could be given. I was given wrong information. I was told \"I do not know that answer\" call the night crew, the night crew told me to call the day crew and the day crew got irritated and wanted to know why I was calling with the information that I had. When I explained that I was doing as the therapist suggested I was told my information was wrong and they would talk to the therapist....who promptly called me back and wanted to know why I made the calls that I did.....\"well, it was because I was doing EXACTLY what I was instructed to do to find the information I was hoping to gain\". I was reprimanded by this therapist and told that I had the cell number and should have used it....HUH? I did, I was pawned off, the therapist got called on it and I am to blame? I was then treated like a child who is incapable of understanding. The information that was given to me was always followed by \"do you understand what I have told you?\" but I still did not get any discussion or answers to the questions I originally had. My family member was discharged, the facility forgot to return the medications that were brought and also did not give the medications that were newly prescribed. I called twice...the cell number that I am supposed to use because it was given to me but no return call regarding medications. No explanations to the family...what was done, why was it done, what is the outcome to be, what should we expect, how do we continue to handle the situation, what meds were changed, how can we obtain long term favorable results, how can we help support our family member as a family? No discussion along these lines...just here are his appointments...do you understand when and where these appointments are? You must call to arrange transportation to these appointments...do you understand that you must call to arrange for transportation? no firearms in the house, lock up medications...do you understand what I have asked you to do? Excuse me but I managed an institutional pharmacy for 20 years and I do know how to listen as well as follow directions. I feel that listening skills are an asset especially in the health care business of all types...although I did not find any staff members at this facility that seemed to be able to listen, understand and possibly act upon information given.I can name a number of staff members that could use some training in listening skills. I am very sad that good money was and will be paid out for such inadequate care, advice, etc.

Affordable and a lot of treatment options but they have a small length.

Staff, rooms, treatment were weaknesses of the facility. They treated my father and he didn't have success there but did at a better facility.

JL

If you value your life do not go here!! ... unclean, and terrifying!! STAY AWAY FROM HERE.