An Overview on Aurora Rehab Facilities
Like many other Illinois cities, the community of Aurora has become increasingly concerned about the popularity of synthetic marijuana among teens. For years, Aurora drug rehab programs have helped teens and adults recover from the addiction to natural marijuana, or cannabis.
Now synthetically produced marijuana, known as “Spice” or “Potpourri” on the streets, is a growing threat to Aurora’s most vulnerable citizens: junior high and high school students.
‘Spice’ Rivals Marijuana as Most Popular Drug Among Teens
According to the 2011 Monitoring the Future survey from the University of Michigan, synthetic marijuana is almost as popular as natural cannabis:
- In 2011, marijuana use increased among teenagers for the 4th year in a row.
- The number of teens who use marijuana every day is higher than it’s been in 30 years.
- About 11.4 percent of teenagers said that they had used Spice in the past year.
- The sale of synthetic marijuana has been banned in at least 18 states.
The Need for Going to a Treatment Clinic
Each generation has its drug of choice, and Spice has become a favorite in Aurora high schools. In 2011, the city of Aurora banned the sale of drugs containing synthetic cannabinoids, hallucinogenic substances or stimulants when a teenager was killed in a car accident after smoking Potpourri incense. But teens continue to seek out synthetic marijuana, whose active ingredients can’t be detected on many drug tests.
How do you know when it’s time to look for help from an Aurora drug treatment center? It’s not always easy to know when to turn to addiction professionals for guidance, and it can be even more difficult to find the right treatment program. Unlike marijuana, Spice doesn’t leave a distinctive odor after it’s been smoked. Parents who are concerned that their teens may need treatment for synthetic marijuana abuse should look for signs like:
- Packages containing products sold as “incense”
- A sudden loss of interest in school, hobbies and friends
- Behavioral changes and mood swings
- Physical signs like pallor, rapid heart rate, confusion or agitation
Locate Rehab Services in Aurora
Teenagers and their families need education on the health dangers of synthetic marijuana, which are still under clinical investigation. Family counseling and group therapy can help you and your kids learn how to cope with the influence of drugs and alcohol in your lives.
We can give you an overview of Aurora drug treatment programs to get you started on your search for health and sobriety. Call us today.