There are many residents in Gainesville, Florida that struggle with drug and alcohol abuse and could benefit from entering a professional addiction treatment program.
Just over 20% of adults in Alachua County drink excessively, according to data from 2016.1 In the same year, 28.3% of driving deaths in Alachua County involved an alcohol-impaired driver.1
With alcohol and some other types of drug addiction, your first step should be medical detox. This helps you get through withdrawal in a safe and supportive setting. After that, look into a Gainesville drug rehab center to help you replace your drug use with positive behaviors.
Rehab can include both behavioral therapies and medications. Along with these treatments, one important thing you’ll need to do is set goals. This will give you motivation to continue when you get frustrated. Some of the goals you should consider for yourself include:2
- Finding new hobbies to keep yourself entertained.
- Getting a new job or entering a vocational program so you can learn useful skills.
- Spending more time with your loved ones and repairing your damaged relationships.
- If necessary, completing any parole requirements so you can leave the past behind you.
You don’t have to accomplish these goals all at once. Instead, it’s better to break them down into small, achievable steps. For example, if you haven’t spoken to your parents in a year, don’t expect to heal your relationship in a day. Work up to it by calling them on the phone, writing them a letter, and then meeting in person. You could also attend family therapy together to receive help from a counselor who specializes in relationship dynamics.
Keep in mind that a Gainesville drug rehab program isn’t your only option. There are also plenty of out-of-state facilities that offer an excellent chance to start over. See what facilities might meet your needs by browsing our directory today.
- Florida Department of Health. (2016). Alachua County Community Health Assessment.
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. (2011). The Next Step Toward a Better Life.
Looking for Outpatient Treatment Centers in Florida? Outpatient treatment describes all addiction treatment that is not residential. Patients live at home while undergoing rehab.