Compare Kent Rehab Services
A working class suburb of Seattle, Washington, Kent has a growing problem with addiction and alcohol abuse. Much of this can be attributed to the current economic decline; increasingly, empirical research confirms that as economic conditions worsen, people increasingly turn to substance abuse in order to deal with the resultant stress.
There are other, more constructive ways for Kent residents to deal with economic stress. One way is to engage with the community and build a support system, because substance abuse is more likely to occur among isolated individuals.
In the meantime, long-term alcohol and drug abuse can have physiological consequences, making it difficult to stop on one’s own. Outside intervention, counseling and even medication may be required.
Tips on Going to a Treatment Program
Each drug and alcohol treatment center has its own approach to treatment and recovery. One may need to visit several centers in order to make an informed decision as to which program can best serve his/her needs. Some questions to ask:
- Is the facility accredited?
- What degrees and credentials do staff members have?
- What is their experience in treating my addiction?
- Is medical treatment available?
- Does the program address psychological, spiritual and social needs?
- Is continuing support available after completing treatment?
When and How to Intervene
Alcohol and drug abuse affects not only the user; family and friends suffer as well. The question is, when and how should intervention take place? Here are some tips:
- Sooner is better. Act when the signs of addiction become apparent.
- Avoid confronting a family member who is under the influence.
- Focus on the loved one’s substance abuse – not his/her character.
- Be non-judgmental and calm – this is not the time for anger. Compassion is key.
- Carry out the intervention in a safe place – such as in the home.
It is also recommended that the family member contact a professional for advice prior to an intervention.
Find Rehab Services in Kent
People in Kent struggling with substance abuse issues will find a wealth of resources to help get them on the road to recovery, both in their own community and in the greater King County metro region.