Browsing Laguna Niguel Treatment Centers
Situated less than a mile from the Pacific Ocean, Laguna Niguel is a prosperous city that offers its residents the best that life in Southern California has to offer. But Laguna Niguel drug rehab specialists know that addiction is a disease that afflicts people from all socioeconomic groups.
Among Laguna Niguel teens, prescription drug and over-the-counter (OTC) drug abuse have increased dramatically in recent years, causing concern among parents, teachers and local authorities.
What Needs to Be Addressed Before Enrolling in a Treatment Program
The rise of prescription drug abuse among teens reflects a growing problem in Orange County. Adults and adolescents alike have become increasingly dependent on medications like OxyContin, Percocet and Vicodin — potent drugs that are prescribed for serious acute or chronic pain. According to The Beeline, a Laguna Niguel community publication, the most commonly abused medications include:
- Opioid pain relievers (OxyContin, Vicodin)
- Tranquilizers (Xanax, Valium)
- Stimulants (Adderall, Ritalin)
- Cough medicine (especially medications containing dextromethorphan, a hallucinogenic drug)
Preventing Prescription Drug Abuse in Teens
The Consumer Healthcare Products Association advises parents that they play a crucial role in preventing drug abuse in children. Here are some of the ways that parents can protect their kids:
- Start educating children at an early age about the potential risks of prescription and OTC medications.
- Be aware of which medications are in your medicine cabinets and how much of each drug you have.
- Be alert to signs of OTC drug abuse, like empty cough syrup bottles in the trash.
- Set a good example by taking medication only as prescribed.
Research a Recovery Clinic in Laguna Niguel
Laguna Niguel addiction treatment centers aren’t just for people who are struggling with illicit drug abuse or alcoholism. Many clients started their battle with addiction with prescription medications or over-the-counter drugs.
As you research your treatment options in Orange County, look for a facility that offers treatment for a range of addictions.