Port St. Lucie, Florida, of St. Lucie County has unfortunately been hit hard by drug abuse, just like other cities in the Sunshine State and beyond. While it can be devastating to realize that a person you love is abusing drugs, help is available at Port St. Lucie rehab centers.
Drug use can cause serious consequences, one of the most severe being the possible transmission of diseases, like HIV and hepatitis C, through the sharing of needles. According to the St. Lucie County Police Department, the number of inmates with hepatitis C increased 850% from October 2013 to July 2015.1 Because many individuals who become addicted to illicit drugs end up in prison, there’s a strong possibility that a number of these HIV and hepatitis cases could have resulted from substance abuse.2
Regardless of the type of substance you’re abusing, there are major physical and mental health risks involved, such as:3
- Medical issues, like heart palpitations, high blood pressure, heart attack, stroke, overdose, and death.
- More chronic health conditions, like transmittable diseases, cancer, lung disease, and heart disease.
- Mental health issues, such as depression, anxiety, and psychosis.
It is also common for a person to struggle with financial problems, relationship problems, loss of employment, expulsion from school, loss of custody, and more. But regardless of the harmful effects you experience, it’s never too late to get help and turn your life around. An addiction treatment program in Port St. Lucie drug or nearby can help you get clean and sober.
If you’re ready to get on the road to recovery, scan our directory for centers in and around Port Saint Lucie.
- Saint Lucie Sheriff’s Office. Forecasting Future Designs.
- Redonna, K.C., Bennett, W.F. Nora, D.V. Treating Drug Abuse and Addiction in the Criminal Justice System: Improving Public Health and Safety. Journal of the American Medical Association. 2009 Jan 14;01)2): 183–190.
- National Institute on Drug Abuse. (2017). Health Consequences of Drug Misuse.