Facts About Springfield Treatment Centers
Traumatic events, such as war, domestic violence or the death of a loved one in Springfield can have a profound effect on the psyche. Springfield drug rehab counselors see a large number of clients who suffer from alcoholism or drug addiction combined with post-traumatic stress disorder, or PTSD. For these dual diagnosis clients, substance abuse only makes the flashbacks, nightmares and anxiety of PTSD more severe.Things to Discuss Before Going to a Rehab
Most of us have had at least one traumatic experience in the past, but not everyone who experiences trauma in Ohio develops PTSD or a substance use disorder. In Clark County, where the city of Springfield is located, the Mental health treatment department points out that the longevity and impact of traumatic memories may depend on:
- The severity of the traumatic incident
- The number of times the trauma occurred
- Whether a personal betrayal was involved
- Whether the event had a deep emotional significance
Before you enter an addiction treatment program in Springfield, talk with a therapist or counselor about how trauma has affected your mental health, your family life and your substance abuse.
What Are the Symptoms of PTSD?
Many people who have PTSD develop chemical dependence as they try to mask their symptoms by drinking or drugging. The National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) divides PTSD symptoms into three basic groups.
- Symptoms that involve reliving the event, such as flashbacks or nightmares
- Symptoms that involve social isolation, such as avoiding places that remind you of the traumatic incident
- Symptoms associated with a hyper-aroused mental state, such as feeling edgy or angry
Research Rehabilitation Centers in Springfield
For addicts and alcoholics who have been diagnosed with PTSD, it’s essential to get treatment for both the mental disorder and the substance abuse. If the root cause of PTSD is never addressed, the client is at a high risk of relapse.
When you talk with our addiction treatment professionals, you’ll receive a list of rehabilitation programs in and around Springfield that can restore your physical and psychological health.