Union City, New Jersey, like most of the country, is suffering from a substance abuse crisis. About 14% of all addiction treatment admissions in Union City in 2015 were for marijuana as the primary drug.1 It is a common misconception that marijuana is less harmful than many other substances; it can still cause serious side effects in those who abuse it, and in New Jersey, it is still considered a Schedule I substance.2
Marijuana abuse can cause a number of dangerous effects, such as:3
- Hallucinations, delusions, and potential psychosis.
- Memory lapses.
- Impaired brain development in adolescents.
- Breathing issues, including coughing and lung infection.
- Rapid heart rate.
- Worsening schizophrenia symptoms.
In addition, the use of marijuana, like other drugs, can lead to dependence. Some of the most common withdrawal symptoms associated with marijuana dependence are:4
- Insomnia or trouble sleeping.
- Strong cravings for the drug.
- Decreased appetite.
- Anger and irritability.
Chronic marijuana abuse can ultimately lead to addiction, which is characterized by compulsive use regardless of consequences. If you or someone you love is struggling with a marijuana addiction, you can find rehab centers in Union City or nearby that will help you deal with issues related to marijuana abuse.
- NJ Human Services Department. (2015). Substance Abuse Overview Hudson County.
- NJ Department of Law & Public Safety. (2018). Division of Consumer Affairs to Hold Public Events on Classification of Marijuana as a Controlled Substance in New Jersey.
- National Institute on Drug Abuse. (2018). Drug Facts: Marijuana.
- National Center for Biotechnology Information. (2007). Marijuana Dependence and Its Treatment.
Looking for Outpatient Treatment Centers in New Jersey? Outpatient treatment describes all addiction treatment that is not residential. Patients live at home while undergoing rehab.