Alternative to Meds Center in Sedona, AZ

40 Goodrow Lane
Sedona AZ 86336

Alternative to Meds Center Philosophy

Our treatments are strategically designed to correct both addiction and mental health issues. We address the physical, emotional and spiritual facets of each individual to create the proper stage for lasting recovery. We understand the medical and biochemical causes of mental health symptoms and addiction, and we treat these underlying problems with scientifically proven methods of integrated treatment. Lack of brain balancing nutrients, toxic drugs and other poisons we may have accumulated over a lifetime can create drug and alcohol cravings as well as interrupt the balance of brain chemicals that are normally associated with a healthy mental state. We not only address this balance with customized top-shelf programs for nutrition and detoxification but also with medication tapering, counseling, exercise and yoga, supplementation, organic diets, acupuncture, colonics, and other environmental medicine therapies.

• Detox
    Though not all rehab facilities offer “medical detoxification,” all people with an addiction to drugs or alcohol will experience intense physical and emotional changes and discomfort as their bodies react to withdrawal of the addictive substance. Many people use the term “detox” to refer to the period of time (ranging from a few days to a week) when the body is reacting to an addict’s decision to stop using.

• Trauma & Associative Awareness Therapy (AAT)
    Associative Awareness Therapy (AAT) uses the brain’s innate ability to adapt to change in a healing way, essentially “retraining” the brain to respond differently to familiar memories of trauma or pain.

Medication Withdrawal Tapering

Antidepressant Withdrawal and Medication Tapering

Antipsychotic Withdrawal and Medication Tapering

Dr. John Motl, MD

Medical Director

Dr. Motl began his education in Omaha, Nebraska at Creighton University. He holds a Bachelor’s of Science degree with a major in biology and minors in chemistry and philosophy and his Doctor of Medicine from the Creighton University School of Medicine. He completed his internship in Internal Medicine and did his Residency in Neurology. He studied Medical Acupuncture at the Colorado School of Traditional Chinese Medicine and at U.C.L.A., and he is a strong believer in the use Chinese herbs as well as other herbs and supplements in his practice. Dr. Motl, has the understanding that all medicine systems have a place, and no one system has all the answers for healing. He is excited to offer his skills in Integrative Medicine to co-design programs for people who want to make changes in their treatment programs. Combining your health intention, psychotherapy, medication management, nutritional supplements, exercise and detoxification in a community setting can restore balance in your life. It is his belief that “symptoms are a message not a defect.”

Mare Brooks-Motl, MS, LMFT, CADC

Clinical Director

As Clinical Director, Mare manages the counseling and therapy programs at ATMC. Mare has a Bachelor of Arts degree in Sociology and Education. Mare holds credentials as a certified drug and alcohol counselor and a Masters of Science degree in Counselor Education, holding licensure as a Marriage, Family therapist in and California. Other formal training includes DBT (Dialectical Behavioral Therapy), EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing) used in the treatment of PTSD, Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR), Transactional Analysis and NLP to name a few. Her most recent education has been learning, and experiencing the powerful healing approach of HeartMath. She has utilized training and wisdom of East-West healing modalities for over 30 years. These include yoga, Aikido, Chinese Medicine, Auyrevedic foods and philosophies. Vipasssana or insight mediation, commonly known in the West as Mindfulness meditation guide her personal and professional life.

ABOUT ALTERNATIVE TO MEDS CENTER

Alternative to Meds Center (ATMC) provides holistic treatment for mental health, addiction, and co-occurring dual diagnosis. This facility is located in beautiful Sedona, Ariz. and offers clients a residential inpatient treatment program.

ATMC uses integrative and holistic medicine approaches to treat mental health and addiction. This facility focuses on addressing the mind, body, and spirit of the residents holistically instead of with the use of prescription medications. ATMC uses medication tapering programs to overcome withdrawal from antidepressants, antipsychotics, benzodiazepines, alcohol, opiates, and prescription drug medications. The center’s “Detox Shoppe,” where clients will spend time five days per week, “concentrates residents’ energies” on removing toxins.

Holistic treatments include environmental medicine, biotransformation of toxic burden, heavy metal chelation, targeted neurotransmitter repair, top-shelf microbiome science including organic diets with a nutritionally ketogenic focus, nebulized glutathione, acupuncture, energy medicine, massage therapy, ionic footbaths, colonic hydrotherapy, neurotransmitter rehabilitation, orthomolecular medicine, and neurotoxin removal. These treatments work to correct imbalances in the body’s chemistry. Medication tapering is also offered.

Lab and genetic testing is conducted during treatment for clients. These results are used to determine the biochemistry and neurochemistry needs of the resident along with providing information needed to develop individualized detoxification protocol.

Residential treatment programs range from four to eight weeks, during which time clients participate in weekly clinical meetings, daily detoxification program (Monday through Friday) peer support counseling, one-on-one counseling, and holistic treatments including massages, acupuncture, ionic foot baths, and yoga.

Staff members use environmental medicine to explore how environmental factors affect people’s mental and physical health conditions.

The medical team is led by a medical director, who is supported by other medical practitioners with various backgrounds such as allopathic, pain management, internal medicine, environmental medicine as well as naturopathic, orthomolecular, and Chinese medicines. The staff includes a clinical director, a director of nursing, licensed therapists, licensed nurses, counselors, care managers, life coaches, an acupuncturist, massage and art therapists, a chef, and a personal trainer.

ATMC’s 18-bed facility offers spa-like, relaxing surroundings. The living areas include shared bedrooms, private bedrooms, a living room with internet and TV access, large dining area, plenty of outdoor seating in a park like setting, and a pool and hot tub area. There are weekly outings for the residents that allow them to enjoy nearby trails and the natural beauty of Sedona.

The sole alum surveyed by Rehabs.com at the time of this writing provided a mostly positive review. The alum, Pamela, gave four out of five stars for treatment effectiveness. "I did relapse 6 months after leaving, but I learned valuable tools to stay sober, and I am sober now," she wrote. "I also learned to eat correctly, meditate, and take the right supplements. I also made lifelong friends there with other patients and staff."

Pamela gave five out of five stars for accommodations and amenities along with meals and nutrition.

At the time of this writing, the five individuals to leave reviews on Yelp for Alternative to Meds Center provided very mixed feedback. Of the three alumni who left reviews, two provided positive reviews, and one left negative feedback.[1] One representative reviewer wrote: "ATMC did a phenomenal job with getting off meds and reducing anxiety. Staff is very warm and gracious".

Rehabs.com has yet to receive feedback from this facility’s friends and family; however, the two loved ones who left reviews on Yelp provided mixed feedback.

One loved one gave a maximum five-star review, while the other provided just one star. The father of an alum wrote to Yelp that his son had an experience “beyond expectations.” He wrote: “It really is a special place with wonderful people who are truly inspiring and clearly inspired by helping and healing others.”

Private Pay insurance plans are accepted. Medicare or Medicaid are not accepted and ATMC does not have scholarships available. The program cost is $60,000 for 60 days. Clients are encouraged to verify insurance information online.

[1] https://www.yelp.com/biz/alternative-to-meds-center-sedona

Published on August 2017

I owe my LIFE TO The Alternative to Meds Center. 4 years ago, I was extremely sick with my numerous health issues and on several different medications. I sat down to look for help online and after praying over and over to find a place to go, ATMC was the 2nd place that came up. I knew immediately that THIS was where I had to go. I was reluctant to leave Virginia, but my intuition assured me that this was who could save my life. Within a week, I found myself in Sedona. I have struggled with alcoholism, and addiction, and mental illness my entire life. I had never gone away to a treatment facility before and I was TERRIFIED and having severe adverse reactions to my medications. I was immediately surrounded by the most unique, loving, compassionate people I've ever met. I was in a beautiful resort style spacious home at the base of thunder mountain. The facility was clean, neat and easily accessible and they even had a pool, hot tub and steam room all on the property. There are also peaceful landscapes for meditating and resting. The kitchen is open in the middle of the house so we can see our AMAZING organic food being prepared. (This is the BEST food I've EVER had btw) I learned so much about my diet and how using herbs and supplements and living a clean, healthy lifestyle, I can FINALLY manage my mental health problems and live a happy fulfilled life. I have also learned so much about how Important detoxing is in getting off my medications and staying clear. They used saunas, ionic footbaths, and a whole list of holistic modalities to get me OFF my medications and helping to rebuild my weakened immune system. I was so so scared to get off my meds, but ATMC made it go by smoother than I ever could have imagined. I am incredibly grateful and thankful to the entire staff and medical team here. These guys are angels in my book!

ATMC saved my life. I had been through 4 other inpatient treatment centers with little to no success and thrown on numerous psych meds. I detoxed from 5 psych meds successfully here and I've been discharged for 10 months. It was not easy, but it has been the most rewarding and impactful healing I've ever done for my life. ATMC is the only facility that taught me how to create lasting change and health in my life so that I never need to feel or be the "sick patient/client" again!

Alternative to meds saved my life. After being prescribed a benzodiazepine for years and only taking it as directed, I almost died when I tried to come off by myself. My doctor would not help me and failed to explain to me that I was in withdrawals when I was suffering out of control. At ATMC, I received care in a nurturing environment where where I felt safe. I now feel like I have a future. Thank you to everyone at ATMC for helping me to get my life back.

ATMC has a wonderful and caring staff. They treat your addiction with art therapy, daily trips to the detox center, healthy gluten-free meals, yoga, counseling, classes and much more.

Aternative to Meds Center offered everything that I believed would help me get past my time on pharmaceuticals. The staff knew just what I needed to detox my system and which supplements would help me rebuild what had been depleted. A lot of the staff had dealt with their own addictions, or similar, and so they had a true understanding of what residents were going through. Every one employed truly cared about my recovery and success. The facitlites are beautiful and offer both privacy and shared space for residents to spend their time. The food was AMAZING. Everything was prepared according to dietary specifications to help rid the body of toxins. Services included pharmaceutical tapering, supplementation, acupuncture, massage therapy, BEST, cranial-sacral, sauna, art therapy, colon hydrotherapy, private counseling as well as group therapy, and an amazing weekend crew that would take us hiking and to different sites around Sedona. I highly recommend this place as they not only changed my life but literally saved it.

I received very good treatment while at the center.

Residents frequently express their appreciation for the warmth and compassion they receive at ATMC. The treatment is cutting edge and treats all aspects of a human...mind, body and spirit

Good hearted practitioners working miracles in co-occurring disorders.

The staff was wonderful and supportive. I was able to get off of Zyperxa and Depakote with few side effects while at ATMC.

I did relapse 6 months after leaving, but I learned valuable tools to stay sober, and I am sober now. I also learned to eat correctly, meditate, and take the right supplements. I also made lifelong friends there with other patients and staff.

Rosewood Centers for Eating Disorders
  • Uses a variety of treatment modalities to help individuals recover from eating disorders and co-occurring addictions.
  • Specializes in anorexia, bulimia, binge eating disorder, co-occurring addictions and mood/psychiatric disorders
  • Led by three of the nation's leading eating disorders experts, Dena Cabrera, Psy.D., Amelia Davis, M.D, and Nicole Garber, M.D.