Known as a capital of horse racing, automobile manufacturing and hunting, the southeastern state of Kentucky is also known for its bourbon distilleries. Kentucky whiskey production has a long, venerable history in the Bluegrass State, but this tradition has a darker side.
If you’re struggling with an addiction to alcohol, an addiction treatment center in Kentucky can provide the support you need for a full recovery.
Medically supervised detox is a critical component of an alcohol or drug rehab program, but cleansing the toxins from your system is only the first stage of the healing process. At a comprehensive Kentucky drug rehab program, you’ll receive individual and group therapy, family or partners counseling, and medication therapy, if necessary, to help you manage the symptoms of withdrawal.
Recovery Services for Kentucky Residents
The state of Kentucky recognizes the fact that rebuilding your life may also require practical resources like vocational counseling, nutritional support, childcare and temporary housing. That’s why the Foundation for a Healthy Kentucky produces a list of resources for residents in search of free or sliding scale treatment programs.
Residents in search of affordable alcohol rehab in Kentucky can find the help they need from the following sources:
Whether you’re searching for a public, non-profit Kentucky drug treatment center or a private rehab facility, the most important step is to make that initial call for help.
Alcohol Rehab for All Ages
Experimenting with drugs and alcohol is considered to be an adolescent rite of passage throughout the country, and Kentucky is no exception. During the teenage years, when the brain is still developing, the capacity to make healthy decisions is usually overwhelmed by the impulse to engage in risky behavior.
Teenagers have specific needs when it comes to drug or alcohol rehab; special services include:
- Psychological assessments to identify behavioral problems, learning disabilities or mental health disorders
- Gender-specific rehab facilities where they can focus on recovery without social distractions
- Continuing education services so they don’t fall behind in school
- Intensive family counseling to create a healthier home environment
*Underage Drinking Statistics in Kentucky
Are you close to a teenager who’s been taking risks with alcohol and drugs? Alcohol abuse among teens increases the risk of motor vehicle accidents, unprotected sex, accidental injuries or incarceration. According to the Office of Adolescent Health, 2011 underage drinking statistics in Kentucky hover around the national average:
- About 21 percent of teens in Kentucky reported having their first drink before they turned 13 (US average: 20 percent).
- About 35 percent of Kentucky teens had at least one drink in the month before the survey (US average: 39 percent).
- About 23 percent of high school students in Kentucky engaged in at least one binge drinking episode within the 30 days before the survey (US average: 22 percent).
- About 7 percent of Kentucky high school students admitted to driving after drinking at least once in the month before the survey (US average: 8 percent).
Regardless of your substance abuse history, you’ll find that Kentucky offers a host of resources to support you in recovery. But finding a program that’s appropriate for your age and your health condition may require some professional advice.