Bluff Plantation

963 Bennock Mill Rd, Augusta, Georgia, 30906

3.9

About the Facility

Our clinical team will develop an individualized treatment plan to address your unique challenges. Because addiction can affect so many aspects of life, we focus on the whole person—mind, body, and spirit—by incorporating a multidisciplinary blend of holistic and traditional therapies. Our program includes mindfulness meditation, spiritual care, exercise, and nutrition counseling. During your stay, we’ll help you discover the tools needed for better self-awareness and for sustaining long-term sobriety and wellness.

Co-Occurring Disorders

People with drug and alcohol addiction often have co-occurring disorders – mental illnesses such as depression, bipolar disorders, anxiety disorders or post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Drinking and drug use may be an attempt to relieve the symptoms of mental health disorders. Bluff Plantation has psychiatrists on staff who assess, diagnose and treat dual disorders. Effectively treating mental health conditions improves well-being and brings the individual a greater sense of peace – necessary for sustained sobriety.

Trauma & Associative Awareness Therapy (AAT)

Associative Awareness Therapy (AAT) uses the brain’s innate ability to adapt to change in a healing way, essentially “retraining” the brain to respond differently to familiar memories of trauma or pain.

• Partnership with Medical College of Georgia
  • Individualized treatment plans based on one's unique needs
  • Five-star residential setting on 178 wooded and secluded acres.
Shawn Williams, DO

Shawn Williams, DO

Medical Director

Shawn Williams, DO was hired in July 2019 as Bluff Plantation’s Medical Director. Dr. Williams brings well-rounded medical experience, and is an expert in the specialties of Family Practice, Emergency Medicine, and Addiction Medicine. He has seven years of experience in the field of addiction medicine, five of which he served as a medical director. As a member of the Bulloch County opiate task force, he worked with law enforcement and health care professionals to help curtail the regional opiate epidemic. As a White House invitee, he was also consulted to help shape federal drug policy. Dr. Williams has also made two guest appearances on the A&E television show Intervention. Dr. Williams is a member of the American Board of Addiction Medicine and the American Osteopathic Board of Family Physicians.

Show Bio
John Martin, LMSW, MAC, CAC I

John Martin, LMSW, MAC, CAC I

Clinical Director

John Martin, LMSW, MAC, CAC I is the Clinical Director of Bluff Plantation. He began his training at Willingway Hospital in Statesboro, GA in 2009 and has worked since that time in addiction and mental health services. John moved to Boston, MA in 2013 and worked at a detox and men’s residential program providing clinical addiction services. Upon returning to Georgia, John worked for Bradford Health and Recovery Houses Services in areas of family counseling and marketing. After completing his graduate education, John began working as the Clinical Director at The Hale Foundation, a private non-profit organization specializing in addiction treatment services at outpatient and men’s residential levels of care. John also worked as a psychiatric therapist at Aurora Pavilion, behavioral health services program in Aiken, SC after completing his MSW program. John graduated Summa Cum Laude from Northeastern University in Boston, MA with a bachelor’s degree in psychology and organizational communication. John graduated with honors from the MSW program at the University of South Carolina. John is a licensed social worker in Georgia and South Carolina. John specializes in Acceptance and Commitment Therapy and utilizes contextual-based behavioral and cognitive approaches to bring about change in clients and connect them with the spiritual approach of the twelve steps.

Show Bio
Financial Details
  • Financing Available

Reviewed by Our Contributors

ABOUT BLUFF PLANTATION

Bluff Plantation is a comprehensive dual diagnosis treatment program for adults ages 18 and older struggling with drugs, alcohol, and co-occurring mental health disorders in Augusta, Ga. Stretching across 178 acres of land along the Savannah River, Bluff Plantation is one of only 51 (17.5 percent) facilities in the state of Georgia to offer long term residential treatment in addition to outpatient care for those focused on making the transition back into their communities.

Bluff Plantation is located just 15 minutes from Augusta Regional Airport and runs medical detoxification services on-site through its affiliation with the Medical College of Georgia, making it just one of 15 (5.1 percent) facilities statewide that offer such services.

Treatment at Bluff Plantation is guided by the perspective that a one fits all approach is ineffective. “By matching treatment settings, medications, and services to each person’s particular needs,” the facility maintains, clients are afforded the greatest prospects for long-term recovery.

Programs held across the 178-acre property are also designed to provide privacy and comfort, as well as a physical distance between clients and their negative relationships and environments. Still, clients’ families are invited to attend a family program and/or schedule a private family session when needed.

Treatment begins with a comprehensive assessment that factors in a client’s psychological, social, biological, and other influences. This information is then gathered to create an individualized plan that may include evidence-based counseling, behavioral group therapy, neuroscience-driven medical care, 12-step work, and nutritional counseling. Residents are also encouraged to spend time in nature: they can hike campus trails, practice meditation and yoga on the outdoor patio, or get their hands dirty in the campus gardens.

While some individuals may be able to temporarily leave behind their commitments to work or school, others may not. As such, Bluff Plantation caters to a wider audience under its partial hospitalization (PHP), intensive outpatient (IOP), and standard outpatient levels of care. The PHP runs five full days a week and the IOP can be arranged for either three or five days a week, three to four hours each day. To help clients adjust back to work and home life, aftercare coordinators help set up continuing care plans.

A RiverMend Health recovery program, Bluff Plantation enjoys a close affiliation with the Medical College of Georgia. The program is led by a team of highly experienced pain and addiction experts, including a triple board-certified medical director and a master’s level executive director. Other staff include equine and art therapists, registered nurses, licensed counselors, case managers, and nutritionists.

Accommodations at Bluff Plantation are private and comfortable. The center can accommodate 19 residential clients at a time in private cottages set within a natural environment that encourages hiking, meditation and yoga, and equine therapy. Residents eat gourmet, chef-prepared meals.

The majority of the alumni polled by Rehabs.com to date had positive experiences to report. Collectively, alumni told of a deeply caring staff and a “peaceful and secluded” program that works by incorporating diet and exercise. “Lots of one on one counseling and application of spiritual principles was key,” wrote one anonymous reviewer. “Recommend highly!”

Others, much in contrast, felt that staff, wonderful as they are, were “not really equipped for methadone detox,at least not as painless as they promise.” Another claimed that the billing department “leaves much to be desired” and that only certain tests are covered by insurance.

Still, most were proud of the work they did. “Bluff changed my life!” wrote Sarah in one such sentiment. “I never thought life could be this good,” added K.G.L.

The majority of loved ones polled by Rehabs.com to date held Bluff Plantation in high regard. M.T., for example, cited “daily interaction with the Medical Director,” while grateful mother Reba thanked the facility’s “truly caring and skilled people” for saving her daughter’s life. A third reviewer described the program as “perfect sized” and great for dual diagnoses. “Very homey but expensive,” another noted.

One reviewer warned others to avoid attending treatment here, making claim of the facility’s “doing nothing but preying on individuals struggling with substance abuse.” Another reviewer complained that the program was “disorganized.”

The two employees surveyed by Rehabs.com to date recommended treatment at Bluff Plantation, although one left only one out of five stars for affordability, exercise & leisure, and family participation.

Bluff Plantation is one of just 154 (52.7 percent) of facilities in the state of Georgia to accept private health insurance. Prospective clients are encouraged to call the center’s financial specialists to verify their insurance coverage and discuss possible payment options.

Accreditations & Licenses
  • NAATP
  • JCAHO
  • Joint Commission
Social Media Links
Important Notice

We list thousands of treatment providers throughout the U.S., often including alumni and staff ratings and reviews, and Rehabs.com 360 Guides that provide valuable information for people making difficult decisions. Rehabs.com is not influenced in regards to its ratings or reviews by any treatment center or its sponsors, and we clearly designate advertiser relationships with “Sponsor” or “Ad” or “Advertisement”.

3.9/5
    3.9/5
    3.5/5
    4.2/5

• Donna
    I attended this life changing facility in late 2019 to treat addiction for alcoholism and drug addiction. I learned so much about my disease and the amazing staff took such good care of me. I just cannot tell you how this experience changed my life. I highly recommend this state of the art facility and personalized care from each staff member. I will never forget them.
  • MofP
    Fist of all, not many are there by choice..some at any facility are court ordered. Therefore, effective results depend on how badly the individual wants to be healthy. Generally, I think Bluff is great. Select staff impressed me on family weekend and the families I met were wonderful people who really cared. The program for both patients and families is intensive. The equine therapist was impressive, the meals were healthy and the setting peaceful, private & serene. My one complaint is with management. When you receive the contract to sign, they should include a list of rules & expectations for family members..we were completely in the dark. No idea of phone privileges etc. One staff member is extremely organized with scheduling phone calls in family therapy sessions and getting impact letters from family & friends to assess before those meetings. The case manager was nice but not organized as the other staffer is. He called without prior notice 2 days before my son was released. I couldn't talk long & asked if I could call back in an hour. He said he & my son would call the next day to make arrangements for his release & never did. You can never reach anyone by phone to find out what is happening so I did not know until my son was an hour from Bluff that they were transporting him to a sober living facility. The people who work there try so hard & really, really care...management needs to get their act together for families needing info. So simple to have a sheet of rules & regulations and then schedule phone meetings..there aren't so many that this can't be handled by an effective administrator.
  • LW
    Horrible place. The website is 90% lies. They are NOT family oriented. Family left in the dark and made to feel shamed. My son was a patient here and he signed an ROI. I was rushed out the very first night. Never told when I could get updates and he was not allowed to call. I was absolutely terrified. When I called to ask about him I was always made to feel like a bother. My calls were short and directed toward his mental and physical status. It’s a nightmare going thru this as a parent and the stories of these horrific rehabs and to worry if my son was alive or dead was painstaking. If he decided to leave they would drop him off at a bus stop and we would hopefully be notified. Some patients were allowed to make calls even though the “steps” were not satisfied. For a family that loves their addicted member....DO NOT TAKE THEM HERE! It was pure hell worrying about where my decision would leave my sons life. When we went to pick him up....I was met at the door by a girl with a blank stare and no amount of smile....she made sure we stood in a tiny designated area while she went to ask people about my questions. I had questions about my sons next steps in IOP and what meds he was currently taking. After several minutes we were allowed to follow her back to a nurse that bit my head off when I asked her my first question. Please do not take a person here. After I left I got a text from therapist stating he was not allowed to say “one more word” but to “reach out if need” ? What is that supposed to mean? Please this place is scary!!! Do not take anyone here!
  • Sl
    Don't do what they say. Held up my return to work and didn't file my insurance correctly.
  • KH
    Yet another in a long list of facilities that claim to do something different but offer the same ole thing.30 days of meetings, my son only saw a doctor once in 3 weeks and a counselor twice. At $1000 a day I was expecting real treatment from real doctors. He can go to 12 step meetings anywhere for free.
  • ADM
    For containment, structure and loving care Bluff is incredible! I’ve been there twice and both times I was impressed with interactions with daily staff. My therapists on both occasions were incredible but this is not a place where psychiatrists are of much value. Preliminary trauma work is definitely possible with a staff and the horses. The most beneficial work for me was with my therapy sessions, DBT, and the care of the techs and nurses. I never saw Dr. was more detrimental to the program than effective so if you go there the expectations should be around awesome structure, healthy and motivating groups and incredible care by the techs, nurses & Dr. These people are the backbone of Bluff and will help you more than Dr. Additionally, the chef could be working anywhere but chooses to be at Bluff to help patients detox with delicious, incredible, low sugar and healthy food.
    I wasn't the patient. Small groups. Disorganized.
  • Jennifer
    No follow up care fixed into place before my fianc� was released. They feed them well. That�s about it. They don�t make sure that exit day treatment is in place for the future. They don�t care once they leave the facility.
  • Reba
    I believe sending my daughter to Bluff Plantation saved her life. No facility is going to be perfect, but these are truly caring and skilled people. The Plantation is a gorgeous and peaceful setting. The staff at Bluff made us feel comfortable and safe. The equine therapy they offer is an incredibly powerful. My daughter was in dire physical shape when she walked in the door of Bluff, needing to withdraw from drugs, get proper diagnosis and treatment for bi-polar and treatment for opiate addiction. She left Bluff in much better physical shape, with meds that helped get her bi-polar better in control (for the first time ever) and with skills to move forward with sobriety. Please plan on participating in the family weekends - it will be a great help to the patient and family members. I've learned that my daughter's addiction is always going to be a day to day struggle, but for today (6 months of sobriety) my daughter is healthy, happy, sober. We will be forever thankful to everyone who touched our lives (staff, patients and other family members) in such a positive way at Bluff Plantation.
    I wasn't the patient. Small groups was a strength. Disorganized.
  • Mary
    After more than five years of struggling, we found Bluff and we finally found the help we'd been seeking. I cannot say enough good things about Bluff, the staff, or the program. From the admissions staff to the discharge staff and everyone in between, this facility is top notch. We are now returning to normal and will be eternally grateful to the staff and program of Bluff Plantation.
  • Kgl
    I watcat the Bluff from April 20 to May 20 of this year. I had addictions to opioids and benzodiazepines. It was definitely the hardest things I have ever done, but definitely was worth it. I don't think I would be alive today if I had not gone to The Bluff. I never thought life could be this good.
  • AMK
    The staff is very nice. As for the program...it leaves much to be desired. They love to talk about steps one through three and then expect you to make your amends, step 9, in front of another patient, his/her family, and a few staff members to include one's from another center you don't know. Amends are very personal and should remain between the individual and the offended. Who is ready for that in less than a month?!! The chef is great but a lot of beef is served!!! I understand maybe 1 or 2 times a week, brut for nearly every meal is not healthy! For $3200 a day, yes that is right, so much more should be offered! No pool, no hot tub, no real yoga outside as pictured! The guys that do the equine therapy are very nice but they choose 2 people after the "meeting" to pet the horses and talk to them. There is no real riding! That would be therapy!!! Very disappointed with my experience!!!
  • Melissa
    DO NOT GO TO OR SEND a love one to this facility!!! This facility is doing nothing but preying on individuals struggling with substance abuse. They accommodations are below standards and not luxury. They mismanage dispensing medications. And their "equine" therapy consist of a man from TN bringing two wild horses every two weeks. Their are NO stables, rolling hills or exercise facility. I've reported this facility to the medical board and insurance commission. This place needs to be shut down before an individual dies!!!
  • Sarah
    Bluff changed my life! The staff cares deeply about everyone that walks through the doors. They were up front about what to expect, all costs, and provided everything they said they would. I would recommend this place to anyone I care about
  • JH
    I\'ve been a resident at Bluff Plantation and more than once and the owner is an \"absentee owner operator\". He concedes he is a recovering alcoholic who cares greatly for his staff and residents but truly only cares about himself and his fleeting reputation. His treatment center is failing and not a place for your loved one.
  • Lynn
    Wonderful staff,but not really equipped for methadone detox,at least not as painless as they promise. It\'s very painful & you are surrounded by other people in different stages of rehab. From my experience,everyone else said they went to an actual hospital for the detox portion, but i went straight to The Bluff and had no idea what I was in for. I was not allowed to tell my children first or go home and pack my own clothes. If not for the excellent nursing staff,I wouldn\'t have been able to speak to my children for an entire week, which turned out to be dry traumatic for my 15 yr old. I had to leave after one week because he got into trouble that my parents didn\'t know how to handle & he had never given me any trouble at all until I was jerked away from them with no way to explain why I had to go and no idea when I would be allowed to return home. I appreciate what the medical team and a\'ll the staff were trying to do,but a mother has to be there for her children and I had never left my children except to work. I never was the party girl type. I always stayed at home with my kids or took them out to movies,etc. I only had to show up for my methadone once a week and I could take them to school first. I never knew the harm that methadone was doing to my body and now that I do k ow,I will never take it again. That\'s a promise to myself.I went through pure he\'ll coming off and after 2.5 weeks,I\'m still aching but I\'m using my heating pad and an outptalent treatment center. I will never put myself or my family through that again. Not ever!!! I still have not been I touch with the methadone clinic but as I get stronger, I do plan on letting them know how I feel about their lack of information on methadone, but i guess I shoUlf have done my own research. Maybe I was too afraid of what I would find...I don\'t know
  • J O
    Great experience all
    Staff, diet, accommodations were great, No pool. This place was amazing! The staff were wonderful and the fact that diet and exercise were incorporated into their program was a HUGE benefit. Lots of one on one counseling and application of spiritual principles was key. Recommend highly!
  • Beth
    I was an actual patient at this facility. The doctors and technicians were very supportive and caring. The billing department leaves much to be desired. For example, not every test they give you while in treatment is covered by insurance. They do not communicate this to you when you take said test, and whatever credit card you have on file is then charged $1500.00 without your authorization. Again, this price is not communicated to you when you take the test.
    Makes you feel at home; need one closer to home. would recommend
    Dr. Jacobs and the clinical staff are amazing!! It's rare to have daily interaction with the Medical Director, the doctors usually "stop by" a couple times a week at other programs. The property is amazing and the perfect location to start healing. Bluff Plantation is unlike other programs I've encountered. It was the perfect sized program, not your typical 40,60, 80+ bed treatment center. Great program for diagnosis of Dual Diagnosis.
    All was great about the facility.
    Excellent facility.
    It was peaceful and secluded which gave me the peace that I needed. The accommodations was great and I felt respected and treated with integrity. Strengths: Individualized treatment plans unique to someone' s needs. Holistic care. Secluded and quiet.
    very homey but expensive. Very helpful.

Nearby cities with more treatment facilities: