High Watch Recovery Center in Kent, CT

(4 of 5)
62 Carter Road
Kent CT 06757

High Watch Recovery Center Philosophy

Rooted in the 12 Steps, High Watch Recovery Center provides treatment programs for chemical dependency and co-occurring mental health issues such as anxiety, depression and bi-polar disorder. High Watch offers individual, group and family counseling sessions along with holistic care options, including yoga, meditation, art therapy and fitness. Following inpatient discharge, a transition support program helps reinforce customized aftercare plans to promote long-term recovery. As a non-profit organization, High Watch is committed to providing the highest standard of care at an economical cost.

• Holistic Therapy
    Facilities that offer “holistic therapy” see and treat patients in the context of their entire lives and health status. They treat the “whole person,” not just the addiction.

Fitness Center

Yoga

Meditation

Matt Walton

President & CEO

I have had the privilege of seeing first-hand how High Watch changes the lives of those struggling with alcoholism and addiction, and the wonderful way it helps spread those benefits to the lives of all those around them. I look forward to contributing my experience in both healthcare and recovery to advance the great work already being done by the rest of the professional staff, leadership and High Watch Board of Directors.”

Before joining High Watch, Matt enjoyed an extensive career as a healthcare executive and an entrepreneur. He was involved in starting, developing, financing and selling innovative products and services to improve the quality and efficiency of organizations dedicated to the ability of people to live happy, healthy and productive lives. He received his undergraduate degree from Brown University, and then went on to earn a Master’s of Business Administration from Yale University.

Oreste J. Arcuni, MD

Director of Addiction Medicine

Dr. Arcuni is a Diplomat of the American Board of Addiction Medicine. He is certified by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology in Psychiatry and Geriatric Psychiatry. He leads a team of seasoned, licensed therapists in providing cutting edge addiction treatment at High Watch. Dr. Arcuni and his staff have a keen eye for diagnosing any underlying issues that might interfere with one’s ability to stay sober. Dr. Arcuni maintains compassionate care at the center of all treatment.

ABOUT HIGH WATCH RECOVERY CENTER

Located in the quaint New England town of Kent, Conn., High Watch Recovery Center provides residential treatment for adults struggling with substance abuse and co-occurring psychiatric disorders. Established in 1940 with the help of Bill Wilson, a co-founder of the Alcoholics Anonymous program, this facility is deeply rooted in the 12-Steps. There is no detox unit on-site.

According to the center’s website, programming balances 12-step involvement with educational and holistic opportunities. Each client is assigned a personal therapist for bi-weekly individual counseling and weekly group therapy. A typical afternoon at the facility features various therapeutic activities such as meditation, yoga, Tai Chi, volleyball, and scenic nature hikes. Clients also have access to various cardio and weight machines in the fitness center.

Every four weeks, at no additional cost, loved ones are invited to attend a day-long family education workshop that focuses on addiction education. Normal family visitation hours take place 2 to 4 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday.

After 30 days in treatment, clients are eligible to apply to the extended care program, which consists of an additional 60 days of treatment at no extra cost. Other graduates can stay involved through alumni newsletters, meetings, events, and activities.

High Watch Recovery Center employs a multidisciplinary team, including psychologists, adult psychiatric nurse practitioners, and licensed clinical social workers who specialize in substance abuse treatment, according to the center’s website.

The facility, or “the farm,” as it’s commonly known, sits on 200 acres of land at the foothills of the Berkshire Mountains. It features accommodations akin to a country bed and breakfast. The facility’s website notes residents are housed in colorful, shared bedrooms, and eat three daily home-cooked meals in a communal dining area.

The more than dozen alumni surveyed by Rehabs.com at the time of this writing provided mostly positive feedback, applauding the staff and the facility’s treatment approach.

Alum Claudia wrote in a representative review: “The staff was welcoming, caring, and always told you what you needed to hear... Not what you wanted to hear. They did a very good job of making time for me and my family.” Alumni Scott and Danielle shared this sentiment, adding praise for the spiritual, faith-based approach and high number of relatable staff also living in recovery.

An anonymous reviewer wrote that they “had a great time there, recovered 100% and with zero recidivism,” while alum K.A.P noted that "Despite my slip up, I was able to get back on track almost immediately because of the teachings and support of this facility."

In a piece of isolated criticism, alum W.C. thought that High Watch Recovery Center "has been basically turned into a prescription drug mill." However, the six alumni polled by Rehabs.com on how likely they were to recommend treatment at High Watch Recovery Center to others gave an average rating of 4.67 out of five stars.

To date, the five loved ones surveyed by Rehabs.com also provided largely positive feedback.

“I did not visit the facility, but my sibling made a full recovery and now works weekends at the facility, to help others,” a loved one wrote. And Amy called High Watch “a special place” and its staff “amazing.”

Another anonymous loved one raved over the “great family awareness program.” In fact, the three loved ones polled at the time of this writing on the following metrics provided exclusively four- and perfect five-star ratings for the exercise and leisure provisions, the holistic treatment offerings, the level of connectivity to the outside world/visitor policy during treatment, the level of family participation in treatment, and the staff's level of training and experience.

Not all reviewers, however, were satisfied. Reviewer A.M. referred to High Watch as a "one size fits all establishment," and J.L. called security "a joke." "Visitors can easily bring anything in," he commented.

The sole staff member polled by Rehabs.com at the date of this writing gave the center four out of five stars for its holistic offerings.

There is currently no information provided on the facility's website regarding its costs. However, the center’s website indicates residents are asked to bring insurance cards, which suggests High Watch Recovery Center accepts some insurances.

Published on December 2017

A lifesaver, but only if you let it be. When I went to HW after probably 25 years of alcohol struggles, two things were in my mind. 1: I would never be able to beat alcoholism, and 2: I would completely let go of my control and open myself to the program and willing to let my higher power take over. After a few days I was a different person. I had realistic hope and confidence was building by the minute. My initial couple of days were dominated with visits to the fine medical staff to ensure I was healthy and able to move forward. The nursing station and MD appointments are a constant with good cause. These addictions are deadly. I need to add that many of the "guests" with me had been in numerous like facilities in the past. Obviously with negative or temporary results. That would have also been me had I not surrendered to the fact that I could never win the fight and let myself follow what has worked so many times for countless others. The program offered did not allow for it failing me, but I could fail it if I allowed myself. I had constant professional support and guidance. I saw my therapist at least twice a week and he cut right through the BS and was the most helpful therapist I've ever seen. Every aspect of the services offered were top notch. But they had to be taken and taken seriously. Many "classes" were optional that you could pass on in lieu of another or reading, sleeping, field trips or going to the gym. The men in my dorm still talk or chat daily thru group chats or calls. We will forever have a bond in that we all survived what surely was destined to kill us. I'd always been skeptical about these facilities as I've looked at the failure rate as being too high. I no longer feel that way. At least with High Watch, we were given a structure that supports a sober life and all the tools we need to carry that gift forward. I could only liken the food to being on a high end cruise. The food was amazing with numerous options. I heard the average 30 day weight gain was in the area of 20 lbs.

I can't say enough about High Watch. They helped me so very much!

This is a wonderful facility... for people who are dealing exclusively with addiction issues. However, if you suffer from moderate to severe mental illness, you will NOT find the care you need here. I was placed at High Watch due exclusively to my use of marijuana. I also have Bipolar I. For the entirety of my 93-day stay, I insisted that I needed psychiatric care. I was rarely given an opportunity to meet with the shrink, and those meetings were only 15 minutes. I was mentally in dire straits, but the idea was forced upon me, with no alternative offered, that my use of marijuana was to blame for my condition. This was conclusively proven to be incorrect when my regular shrink (who I hadn't been given an opportunity to see before I was carted off to High Watch) immediately identified that I had valproate-induced hyperammonemic encephalopathy. I was being poisoned by a medication that was supposed to be helping me, and I had been using marijuana to cope with the effects of that. I no longer partake in that particular substance, because I got the treatment I needed. But let it be known that at High Watch, they will never consider alternate possibilities. They will pigeonhole you, they will tell you that your insistence that you're not an addict means that you're an addict, and they have even been known to say that a chosen Higher Power is not a valid choice (I chose my mentally healthy self). Again, if you have primarily addiction issues, this is an excellent place to be. But it is not a dual-diagnosis facility by any stretch of the imagination. The poisoning I experienced due to their neglect has very likely had a permanent impact on me, neurologically. I can't get through a book. I can't control my impulses. My learning disability is worse than it ever was before this experience. Be aware of what you're getting yourself into.

I was extremely disappointed with High Watch'a recovery program. There was minimal support . I could have seen the same results by staying with a friend and attending AAMeetings without paying $8,000. Access to mental health support was minimal. No opportunity for physical well being. Archaic for 2014. There only claim to fame is all you can eat buffet style food.

Rude staff, the only good part was the food. Easily the worst of the 3 rehabs Ive attended.

Focused, comfortable, and effective. Could be stronger with dual diagnosis. I have a close personal bond with this facility,

As a former two time patient at @ Highwatch and finally a year sober after a few Relapses , I'm here to tell you anyone can recover if they want to. So many petty comments here about food & attitude by staff at Highwatch. This place basically saved my life when I was Ready to Recover / hit bottom so to speak. Highwatch / 12 steps work just fine.

The staff is very warm, however this is a one size fits all establishment. We spent $30,000 out of pocket because High Watch uses one diagnosis code for all patients. For this reason, our insurance company refused to reimburse us. Also, High Watch does not individually diagnose each patient. Almost all patients are given the same medication. Please do not allow High Watch to steal your money!

Great counselors and location but Costly. This is a great place.

The strength of this program is the core foundation you receive on 12 step programs and most of their staff are in recovery too. Plus the meals and accommodations are top notch. Of course the one seeking treatment has to want to do the work. This was not my first rehab but it far exceeded the others.

good clean area, its a good cnter with proximity to my palce and good councelling

The staff is very friendly, Place is regularly cleaned, affordable. The meals are not that great. While I was here the staff didn't make me feel out of place or like a sick person, I was treated with a lot of respect by all the nurses and made my recovery that much better, I love this place.

They have you on a schedule with meetings,groups,and little but adequate free time too.The food is excellent. The staff is all recovering also but qualified I guess.I just think others who are sick should not be helping patients especially at the beginning stages of recovery.I found many EGO problems with staff,conflicts,etc. I do believe you need to treat the mental sickness along with the physical.I just think the diagnoses should be too quick.I think professionals treat with meds too quickly.

Very clean and lots of one-on-one sessions. felt like they really cared about me but once you're out, they don't really follow up with you. had a great time there, recovered 100% and with zero recidivism. been sober for 7 years now. great facility, great staff, great therapists. I really felt like they cared for me.

This facility provides the clean break that a person struggling with addiction needs. There is an inaccessibility to urban dwellers. There is a great family awareness program that helps the loved ones of the patient. The head doctors are very aware of the interaction between the addiction itself and other mental and physical health conditions that may be present.

Fantastic place! The spirit of it replaces the spirits in the booze! In spite of megalomaniac director, a wonderful, blessed place to start sobriety.

Everything was very focused and organized. Just not correct for a 66 year woman with an underlying medical condition...be very careful, though, because they will force you to go to Sharon Hospital (they are probably fearful of lawsuits) which has been billing me since I left. There was nothing wrong, yet the staff insisted I go despite my refusal. Watch your insurance bills.

I spent 3 weeks there in mid 2015. Staff are caring and interested in each person' s recovery. The facility was at near capacity during my time and clinical staff was clearly under pressure. I had to escalate that after 12 days of my 21 day stay, I had seen my therapist only once. Since High Watch allows smoking at the facility, and other recovery centers do not, proportion of smokers was very high - very off-putting for those of we non-smokers

I really have nothing negative to say about this facility. The staff was welcoming, caring, and always told you what you needed to hear... Not what you wanted to hear. They did a very good job of making time for me and my family. Strengths of the facility included: focusing on each specific clients needs, very well versed in 12 step and explaining it to each client, and staff makes time to meet with each individual client on a regular basis along with clients family when wanted.

Family weekend they offer is a waste of time.. Security is a joke.Patients are often left with hours of free time and nothing to do. Also their strict "policy" about the men and woman being kept separate and not even allowed to speak to one another is a joke. Reconsider spending $12,000.00...remember they don't take insurance.

...We were looking for a true rehabilitation based on the AA philosophy. It is at High Watch.

Beautiful setting, peaceful, educational and compassionate staff.The entire facility and staff are amazing. It's a special place.

Enjoyed their visitors policy.

My best friend went and it helped him get clean.

Great program and it works. Despite my slip up, I was able to get back on track almost immediately because of the teachings and support of this facility.

Very Spiritual on the hill of hope, no frills just straight AA and getting to know your spiritual connection.

Originally a wonderful treatment option... Too prescription drug oriented.

High Watch, as the first rehab based on the A.A. principles and the history of A.A throughout the facility, its hard to not have a spiritual awakening.

Overall it is a beautiful facility with a great 12 step based program. It runs a little loosely and some drugs slipped in while my son was there. The person was removed but the overall affect was disheartening. I do think if he really wanted to recover this was a great opportunity.

I did not visit the facility, but my sibling made a full recovery and now works weekends at the facility, to help others.

Photo of Clinical Services of Rhode Island, Portsmouth