High Watch Recovery Center in Kent, CT

62 Carter Road
Kent CT 06757

High Watch Recovery Center Philosophy

High Watch Recovery Center is dedicated to seeing the disease of addiction go into remission for each individual who passes through our door. We are committed to providing compassionate care as we integrate the latest breakthroughs in addiction medicine alongside the spiritual teachings of AA’s 12 Steps to give all patients the tools and foundation to live sober after leaving High Watch.

• Holistic Therapy
    Facilities that offer “holistic therapy” see and treat patients in the context of their entire lives and health status. They treat the “whole person,” not just the addiction.

The world's first 12-step treatment center with a culture of compassionate care, dignity and respect.

Each client is assigned an experienced 12-Step coach to work with in a one on one setting.

Every resident receives an individual bio-psycho-social evaluation.

Jerry Schwab

President & CEO

Jerry has over twenty years of experience as an executive with non-profit healthcare organizations. Prior to joining High Watch, Jerry was the Executive Director of a Connecticut-based emergency medical service provider. Jerry is a licensed paramedic and served for many years as the President and Chairman of a large non-profit paramedic service in Southern Connecticut. He also serves on the State of Connecticut Alcohol & Drug Policy Council.

Robert Schwarz

Vice President of Admissions

Rob has been with High Watch since 2007 and ensures that individuals in need of assistance can be placed with us immediately. He works directly with guests, their families and caregivers to navigate the insurance approval process and to make arrangements for self-paying individuals.

ABOUT HIGH WATCH RECOVERY CENTER

Located in the quaint New England town of Kent, Conn., High Watch Recovery Center provides residential treatment for adults struggling with substance abuse and co-occurring psychiatric disorders. Established in 1940 with the help of Bill Wilson, a co-founder of the Alcoholics Anonymous program, this facility is deeply rooted in the 12-Steps. There is no detox unit on-site.

According to the center’s website, programming balances 12-step involvement with educational and holistic opportunities. Each client is assigned a personal therapist for bi-weekly individual counseling and weekly group therapy. A typical afternoon at the facility features various therapeutic activities such as meditation, yoga, Tai Chi, volleyball, and scenic nature hikes. Clients also have access to various cardio and weight machines in the fitness center.

Every four weeks, at no additional cost, loved ones are invited to attend a day-long family education workshop that focuses on addiction education. Normal family visitation hours take place 2 to 4 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday.

After 30 days in treatment, clients are eligible to apply to the extended care program, which consists of an additional 60 days of treatment at no extra cost. Other graduates can stay involved through alumni newsletters, meetings, events, and activities.

High Watch Recovery Center employs a multidisciplinary team, including psychologists, adult psychiatric nurse practitioners, and licensed clinical social workers who specialize in substance abuse treatment, according to the center’s website.

The facility, or “the farm,” as it’s commonly known, sits on 200 acres of land at the foothills of the Berkshire Mountains. It features accommodations akin to a country bed and breakfast. The facility’s website notes residents are housed in colorful, shared bedrooms, and eat three daily home-cooked meals in a communal dining area.

The more than dozen alumni surveyed by Rehabs.com at the time of this writing provided mostly positive feedback, applauding the staff and the facility’s treatment approach.

Alum Claudia wrote in a representative review: “The staff was welcoming, caring, and always told you what you needed to hear... Not what you wanted to hear. They did a very good job of making time for me and my family.” Alumni Scott and Danielle shared this sentiment, adding praise for the spiritual, faith-based approach and high number of relatable staff also living in recovery.

An anonymous reviewer wrote that they “had a great time there, recovered 100% and with zero recidivism,” while alum K.A.P noted that "Despite my slip up, I was able to get back on track almost immediately because of the teachings and support of this facility."

In a piece of isolated criticism, alum W.C. thought that High Watch Recovery Center "has been basically turned into a prescription drug mill." However, the six alumni polled by Rehabs.com on how likely they were to recommend treatment at High Watch Recovery Center to others gave an average rating of 4.67 out of five stars.

To date, the five loved ones surveyed by Rehabs.com also provided largely positive feedback.

“I did not visit the facility, but my sibling made a full recovery and now works weekends at the facility, to help others,” a loved one wrote. And Amy called High Watch “a special place” and its staff “amazing.”

Another anonymous loved one raved over the “great family awareness program.” In fact, the three loved ones polled at the time of this writing on the following metrics provided exclusively four- and perfect five-star ratings for the exercise and leisure provisions, the holistic treatment offerings, the level of connectivity to the outside world/visitor policy during treatment, the level of family participation in treatment, and the staff's level of training and experience.

Not all reviewers, however, were satisfied. Reviewer A.M. referred to High Watch as a "one size fits all establishment," and J.L. called security "a joke." "Visitors can easily bring anything in," he commented.

The sole staff member polled by Rehabs.com at the date of this writing gave the center four out of five stars for its holistic offerings.

There is currently no information provided on the facility's website regarding its costs. However, the center’s website indicates residents are asked to bring insurance cards, which suggests High Watch Recovery Center accepts some insurances.

Published on December 2017

Before I came to High Watch, I my life had crumbled around me. I was unemployed, living with my parents, and drinking around the clock. My days involved waking up, drinking, passing out, waking up, drinking, ad infinitum. I had been attending AA meetings but was doing so intoxicated. I needed to go somewhere that would surround me with the 12 steps in a safe environment far from any liquor stores or familiar bars. My father, over a decade sober through the 12 steps of AA, found out about High Watch through friends who attend his AA home group. He was the one who took the steps necessary to get me into rehab and I'm so glad he did. I was nervous about going to treatment because I was expecting some sterile setting in locked facility, but the rooms at High Watch are more like a nice room at an inn or B & B than anything else. Most of the staff are in recovery themselves and the other people I was in treatment with seemed like they all took their recovery very seriously. My therapist was great and helped me open up about a lot of things I had kept inside for years. Before I left, they made sure I had a sober living arrangement set up so there was no guessing about what my next step was after treatment. Oh, and the food was killer. I have been sober ever since (2 years as of next month!) and cannot recommend this place enough. If anyone is sick and tired of living the life of suffering that alcoholism/addiction brings, take a leap of faith and get some help. There is a way out and a wonderful life to be had in recovery.

High Watch saved my life. The staff there truly cares about each and every guest, and provides them with the love and support they need to succeed.

A blessed place with wonderfully supportive staff and all the foundation you need to truly get started in recovery, if you allow yourself to let go and truly put your heart to the task. Thank you High Watch :)

Absolute amazing staff and facility. High Watch saved my life

My recovery got a great start here. It wasn't my first rehab ,but it was the best. The staff trees the guests with love and respect never talking down or punishing. Our egos were fragile enough. I loved my time there. The therapists are excellent. s

High Watch is outstanding in every capacity. Highly recommend !!!

I am extremely grateful for High Watch. It gave me the start I needed towards recovery. The staff has the knowledge and spoke my language, most importantly they care and told me what I needed to hear not what I wanted to hear. I went to save my marriage but I saved myself instead!

12/19/2018 I went there thinking treatment would be just a waste of time, (“I already knew everything”) but necessary In order for me to aquire the tools to deal with my sickness. I thought of the treatment more like a nice separation from my everyday life, time to reflect on my weaknesses. It was more than that. It was an eye opening experience. First day - I Had to deal with withdrawal symptoms, 2nd day I Had to do the same, 3rd day I was watching other people withdrawing with terrible side effects and pain. 4th day I was watching as some people would already detox and go on to other treatments, and I would still be there. After ten days it was my time to leave and go on to another treatment, this time High Watch Recovery Center. I never thought this would happen to me. I grew up In a very traditional family, I was already 50 years old. How can I possibly get here, what was wrong with me? I Am writing this review after a full year upon my departure from High Watch. Thank you!

I want to thank High Watch for my sobriety today marks my one year. I would not have done it on my oun. Thank you for my life back..

High Watch Recovery Center is a fantastic facility all-around! I cannot say enough about the quality of the campus, the staff, and the program overall. I spent 90+ days there and have never felt better. From admissions to the therapists to the general staff - there is so much support and love. More importantly - I developed a very solid network with other guests during my stay - friendships that are still going strong. High Watch also ensures that a connection to the program is maintained through Saturday nigh AA-meetings (open to the public), an alumni Facebook page, and a weekly Transitions programs aimed at helping recently discharged guests with their transition back to general life. There is a ton of love at High Watch - and I can honestly say it was a life-changing experience. Admissions worked diligently and patiently with me - and, for this, I have the utmost respect for the facility. The most important part of the program is that it is 12-step based and their is a great emphasis for guests to work with a step-coach in the journey toward recovery. There are numerous electives and meetings to attend as well. You are kept busy - and this structure has the right balance of program and "free-time" (generally used to connect with other guests). I had the privilege of participating in the Extended Guest program which granted me responsibilities and helped me rebuild my confidence and work on my personal recovery. Other rehab facilities cannot compare. If you are serious about recovery - High Watch Recovery Center is the place for you. If you put in the work and effort - there is plenty of support and love to guide you. PS - The food is unbelievable.

High Watch simply keeps helping people get well.

I like to say that High Watch didn't only save my life, it also gave me life. I spent over 90 days there as an extended guest in early 2018, having never been to a rehab facility before and having not been at all familiar with AA or the 12 steps. I left High Watch as healthy as I've been in 20 years, spiritually vibrant, and filled with hope. The facility truly does sit atop "the hill of Hope", and it gave me the tools, relationships and fellowship I will hold sacred for the rest of my life. I can't say enough positive things about the staff and the place.

HW is amazing. The care you receive is top notch and the setting is beautiful. Everyone truly wants to help in your recovery. I highly recommend HW.

Great program. Very AA and 12 step based.

High watch is a truly special place, different than all the other rehabs i went to. The staff are mostly in recovery and understand what its like to be in treatment. They cared about me as an individual and wanted to help me anyway they could. The staff there saved my life 6 years ago. I would recommend high watch to anyone who needs help.

Serene environment, supportive community, and empathetic, nonjudgmental staff members, all working to help in a successful lifestyle change.

High Watch is a facility like no other. I got sober there in 2009. Then, as now, most of the staff are in recovery and many of the staff are former guests. No BS and a strong foundation in 12-step recovery. The Hill of Hope is truly a special place and I am forever grateful for the time I spent there and the change I experience - that I continue to experience - as a result.

HWRC provides a calming atmosphere with a helpful, knowledgeable, and caring staff to allow for a great healing environment.

High Watch is an amazing Treatment Facility that offers guests the tools they need to successfully recover from their Substance Use Disorder and Co-Occuring Disorder through their full comprehensive Medical and Recovery Treatment.

Everyday I see the best and most compassionate care being provided to the individuals who chose High Watch Recovery Center. The staff work together to provide the best experience one could hope for to start their journey of recovery. Definitely the best choice for the best opportunity to start and keep recovery that will change your life and the life of those around you.

It was a life changing experience that gave me a life beyond my wildest dreams. The staff was amazing and now I’m part of that staff and love helping guests and families have the same opportunity I was given.

Way too much food all the time

Highwatch saved my life.

I had spent my entire life feeling like I needed to perform in front of people in order to gain acceptance, to the point where I lost who I fundamentally was without all the masks I chose to wear throughout each day. High Watch provided a safe, loving environment where I was finally able to be the person my higher power intended me to be. I was given the skills to practice accepting myself without adding a substance, whether that was alcohol, drugs, food or a relationship. High Watch also gave me a full education on the twelve steps of Alcoholics Anonymous so that once I discharged, I felt comfortable going to meetings and being a part of the AA community. In addition to this, my underlying mental health issues were simultaneously addressed which I now know was imparitive for long term recovery. My depression fueled my drinking and my drinking fueled my depression. The therapists and psychiatrists cultivated the healing environment that was vital to realizing the connection between my mental health and addiction. One of the best things about High Watch is the fact that most of the staff is in recovery and they’re very open about their own stories. It gave me hope to see that it was indeed possible to recover and thrive. As a 20-something year old woman, I had a pattern of rebelling against authority figures so it was crucial to know that there was no hierarchy between guests and staff. The food is amazing and the open Saturday night dinners are famous within the CT AA community so even after I left, I could come back to the place that provided my recovery foundation. Having a full fitness center helps to incorporate a healthy lifestyle that can easily be translated back into societal living. The Litchfield Hills are the ideal settling for stabilization and High Watch truly celebrates the beautiful land, tight-knit culture and rich history. I had no clue what my higher power was going in to treatment here, but looking out my window each morning and seeing the sun peeking around the corners of each ever-changing tree taught me that there was something bigger out there than me, than my disease.

Very caring and attentive staff and a non medicalized feel. Treatment imparts effective techniques for personal change and continuous sobriety

This place saved my family members life. It is the cleanest, friendliest and amazing environment for recovering people I have ever witness. The staff are amazing and just the feeling of serenity you get from driving up the hill is overwhelming! I finally have my cousin back and it’s all because of Highwatch! I am forever grateful this place is around!! Thank you !!!

Hands down the best facility I’ve ever been to. Sober 8 years now thanks to High Watch. They also now take insurance!

A little over 8 years ago I came up to High Watch and had my life saved by the amazing program. The majority of staff are in recovery and I felt so comfortable on the Hill of Hope and learned all the tools I needed to stay sober and become a person in long term recovery. The staff, accommodations, and food were all first class. I can't say enough abou the facility that saved my life.

This place saved and changed my life. I’m eternally grateful for my experience at High Watch

High Watch Recovery Center is a flourishing treatment facility rooted deep within the hills of Litchfield County, Ct. With a Holistic approach to treatment, High Watch prides itself on the teachings of the Twelve Steps of Alcoholics Annonymous. Guests at this facility are offered first class treatment in all areas of healing process. Staff at High Watch offer a unique sense of extreme hopefulness, therapeutic encouragement and round the clock clinical care. Many of the employees have had first hand experiences with the process of battling and overcoming of co occurring disorders. Because of this, it is my true belief that the professional relationships built and maintained between the guests and employees are invaluable. I would highly reccomend High Watch Recover Center to anyone struggling with alcoholism and other substance related disorders.

High Watch saved my life. I would not have the good things in my life today if it wasn't for my sobriety. Thank you High Watch!

A lifesaver, but only if you let it be. When I went to HW after probably 25 years of alcohol struggles, two things were in my mind. 1: I would never be able to beat alcoholism, and 2: I would completely let go of my control and open myself to the program and willing to let my higher power take over. After a few days I was a different person. I had realistic hope and confidence was building by the minute. My initial couple of days were dominated with visits to the fine medical staff to ensure I was healthy and able to move forward. The nursing station and MD appointments are a constant with good cause. These addictions are deadly. I need to add that many of the "guests" with me had been in numerous like facilities in the past. Obviously with negative or temporary results. That would have also been me had I not surrendered to the fact that I could never win the fight and let myself follow what has worked so many times for countless others. The program offered did not allow for it failing me, but I could fail it if I allowed myself. I had constant professional support and guidance. I saw my therapist at least twice a week and he cut right through the BS and was the most helpful therapist I've ever seen. Every aspect of the services offered were top notch. But they had to be taken and taken seriously. Many "classes" were optional that you could pass on in lieu of another or reading, sleeping, field trips or going to the gym. The men in my dorm still talk or chat daily thru group chats or calls. We will forever have a bond in that we all survived what surely was destined to kill us. I'd always been skeptical about these facilities as I've looked at the failure rate as being too high. I no longer feel that way. At least with High Watch, we were given a structure that supports a sober life and all the tools we need to carry that gift forward. I could only liken the food to being on a high end cruise. The food was amazing with numerous options. I heard the average 30 day weight gain was in the area of 20 lbs.

I can't say enough about High Watch. They helped me so very much!

This is a wonderful facility... for people who are dealing exclusively with addiction issues. However, if you suffer from moderate to severe mental illness, you will NOT find the care you need here. I was placed at High Watch due exclusively to my use of marijuana. I also have Bipolar I. For the entirety of my 93-day stay, I insisted that I needed psychiatric care. I was rarely given an opportunity to meet with the shrink, and those meetings were only 15 minutes. I was mentally in dire straits, but the idea was forced upon me, with no alternative offered, that my use of marijuana was to blame for my condition. This was conclusively proven to be incorrect when my regular shrink (who I hadn't been given an opportunity to see before I was carted off to High Watch) immediately identified that I had valproate-induced hyperammonemic encephalopathy. I was being poisoned by a medication that was supposed to be helping me, and I had been using marijuana to cope with the effects of that. I no longer partake in that particular substance, because I got the treatment I needed. But let it be known that at High Watch, they will never consider alternate possibilities. They will pigeonhole you, they will tell you that your insistence that you're not an addict means that you're an addict, and they have even been known to say that a chosen Higher Power is not a valid choice (I chose my mentally healthy self). Again, if you have primarily addiction issues, this is an excellent place to be. But it is not a dual-diagnosis facility by any stretch of the imagination. The poisoning I experienced due to their neglect has very likely had a permanent impact on me, neurologically. I can't get through a book. I can't control my impulses. My learning disability is worse than it ever was before this experience. Be aware of what you're getting yourself into.

I was extremely disappointed with High Watch'a recovery program. There was minimal support . I could have seen the same results by staying with a friend and attending AAMeetings without paying $8,000. Access to mental health support was minimal. No opportunity for physical well being. Archaic for 2014. There only claim to fame is all you can eat buffet style food.

Rude staff, the only good part was the food. Easily the worst of the 3 rehabs Ive attended.

Focused, comfortable, and effective. Could be stronger with dual diagnosis. I have a close personal bond with this facility,

As a former two time patient at @ Highwatch and finally a year sober after a few Relapses , I'm here to tell you anyone can recover if they want to. So many petty comments here about food & attitude by staff at Highwatch. This place basically saved my life when I was Ready to Recover / hit bottom so to speak. Highwatch / 12 steps work just fine.

The staff is very warm, however this is a one size fits all establishment. We spent $30,000 out of pocket because High Watch uses one diagnosis code for all patients. For this reason, our insurance company refused to reimburse us. Also, High Watch does not individually diagnose each patient. Almost all patients are given the same medication. Please do not allow High Watch to steal your money!

Great counselors and location but Costly. This is a great place.

The strength of this program is the core foundation you receive on 12 step programs and most of their staff are in recovery too. Plus the meals and accommodations are top notch. Of course the one seeking treatment has to want to do the work. This was not my first rehab but it far exceeded the others.

good clean area, its a good cnter with proximity to my palce and good councelling

The staff is very friendly, Place is regularly cleaned, affordable. The meals are not that great. While I was here the staff didn't make me feel out of place or like a sick person, I was treated with a lot of respect by all the nurses and made my recovery that much better, I love this place.

They have you on a schedule with meetings,groups,and little but adequate free time too.The food is excellent. The staff is all recovering also but qualified I guess.I just think others who are sick should not be helping patients especially at the beginning stages of recovery.I found many EGO problems with staff,conflicts,etc. I do believe you need to treat the mental sickness along with the physical.I just think the diagnoses should be too quick.I think professionals treat with meds too quickly.

Very clean and lots of one-on-one sessions. felt like they really cared about me but once you're out, they don't really follow up with you. had a great time there, recovered 100% and with zero recidivism. been sober for 7 years now. great facility, great staff, great therapists. I really felt like they cared for me.

This facility provides the clean break that a person struggling with addiction needs. There is an inaccessibility to urban dwellers. There is a great family awareness program that helps the loved ones of the patient. The head doctors are very aware of the interaction between the addiction itself and other mental and physical health conditions that may be present.

Fantastic place! The spirit of it replaces the spirits in the booze! In spite of megalomaniac director, a wonderful, blessed place to start sobriety.

Everything was very focused and organized. Just not correct for a 66 year woman with an underlying medical condition...be very careful, though, because they will force you to go to Sharon Hospital (they are probably fearful of lawsuits) which has been billing me since I left. There was nothing wrong, yet the staff insisted I go despite my refusal. Watch your insurance bills.

I spent 3 weeks there in mid 2015. Staff are caring and interested in each person' s recovery. The facility was at near capacity during my time and clinical staff was clearly under pressure. I had to escalate that after 12 days of my 21 day stay, I had seen my therapist only once. Since High Watch allows smoking at the facility, and other recovery centers do not, proportion of smokers was very high - very off-putting for those of we non-smokers

I really have nothing negative to say about this facility. The staff was welcoming, caring, and always told you what you needed to hear... Not what you wanted to hear. They did a very good job of making time for me and my family. Strengths of the facility included: focusing on each specific clients needs, very well versed in 12 step and explaining it to each client, and staff makes time to meet with each individual client on a regular basis along with clients family when wanted.

Family weekend they offer is a waste of time.. Security is a joke.Patients are often left with hours of free time and nothing to do. Also their strict "policy" about the men and woman being kept separate and not even allowed to speak to one another is a joke. Reconsider spending $12,000.00...remember they don't take insurance.

...We were looking for a true rehabilitation based on the AA philosophy. It is at High Watch.

Beautiful setting, peaceful, educational and compassionate staff.The entire facility and staff are amazing. It's a special place.

Enjoyed their visitors policy.

My best friend went and it helped him get clean.

Great program and it works. Despite my slip up, I was able to get back on track almost immediately because of the teachings and support of this facility.

Very Spiritual on the hill of hope, no frills just straight AA and getting to know your spiritual connection.

Originally a wonderful treatment option... Too prescription drug oriented.

High Watch, as the first rehab based on the A.A. principles and the history of A.A throughout the facility, its hard to not have a spiritual awakening.

Overall it is a beautiful facility with a great 12 step based program. It runs a little loosely and some drugs slipped in while my son was there. The person was removed but the overall affect was disheartening. I do think if he really wanted to recover this was a great opportunity.

I did not visit the facility, but my sibling made a full recovery and now works weekends at the facility, to help others.