Home of New Vision in Ann Arbor, MI

3115 Professional Drive
Ann Arbor MI 48104

Home of New Vision Philosophy

Home of New Vision is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that provides gender-specific programs and specialized services to empower, protect, encourage, and enrich the lives of men, women, their families, and communities affected by the disease of addiction. We are committed to promoting change and awareness, and reducing stigma and shame, by providing a better understanding of recovery. Our philosophy is that substance use disorders are treatable, chronic diseases whose progression can be interrupted at any point. We believe that substance abuse education, treatment, and support are effective ways to intervene in the progression and development of chemical dependency, and to allow for sustained, long-term recovery. At Home of New Vision, we believe in using the Recovery Oriented Systems of Care (ROSC) approach coupled with relational and empowerment models in our therapeutic services for drug and alcohol addiction. These models acknowledge that community and peer connections are fundamental to the growth, recovery, and healing of chemically dependent individuals. At Home of New Vision, we encourage the development of mutually supportive and empathetic bonds with others and the community system. We have found that this assists in developing a healthier definition of self, autonomy, and competency. Here, we recognize that chemically dependent individuals are not only faced with the difficulties of recovering from addiction, but also must often contend with systemic biases and oppression related to gender, ethnicity, economic status, sexual orientation, and marital and parental status.

• Outpatient
    Outpatient treatment describes all addiction treatment that is not residential. Patients live at home while undergoing rehab.

Action Groups

Assessment and Referral

Case Management

Glynis Anderson

Chief Executive Officer

Curtis Thorton

Clinical Director of Treatment & Prevention Services

ABOUT HOME OF NEW VISION

Headquartered in the college town of Ann Arbor, Mich., the nonprofit Home of New Vision provides a full suite of treatment services for individuals struggling with substance abuse and co-occurring disorders. Care for adults is administered in gender-specific environments, and offerings include detox, residential treatment, standard outpatient treatment (OP), intensive outpatient treatment (IOP), and transitional housing. The center also offers outpatient counseling for adolescents and specialized tracks for pregnant and parenting women.

Before beginning treatment, clients may first undergo a comprehensive medical and behavioral health assessment. Those who require attention for withdrawal symptoms begin their stay with non-medical detox, a three- to five-day process that provides support, monitoring, and ongoing assessment. Once stabilized, clients typically transition to the center’s residential or outpatient program.

Residential treatment is tailored to clients who require a high level of support and structure. Residents participate in a mix of individual counseling, group therapy, and daily recovery meetings. Educational workshops address relapse prevention and life skills. Outpatient treatment is similar in design, but offers an increased level of customization according to each client’s individual needs. Those who opt for intensive outpatient treatment participate in nine hours of group counseling each week.

Gender-specific transitional housing is available to adults in recovery who wish to reside in a substance-free environment. Recovery residences are overseen by a house manager, and residents must be employed or in school within three weeks of admittance to continue to be eligible for housing.

According to the facility’s website, the staff includes medical personnel, master’s-level clinicians, licensed social workers, therapists, and case managers.

According to the center’s website, the program provides homelike accommodations to residential clients. All housing is gender-specific, and clients must abide by the center’s strict rules for the duration of their stay. Residents are responsible for making their beds and keeping their rooms clean, as well as completing household chores.

The handful of alumni reviews submitted to Rehabs.com are mixed. One anonymous survey respondent left a lengthy review that highlighted subpar living conditions, as well as billing issues. “The house leaked, it was dirty, and it was falling apart,” they wrote. Another anonymous alum described their stay as “the worst experience” they ever had due to staff that appeared to be “on a power trip.”

Alternatively, both Kathryn and S.R. told Rehabs.com that the program saved their lives, and S.K. reported a “great experience,” praising the caring staff and the program’s educational components. “They taught me what it means to be supported and many necessary skills and avenues available, for that and my sobriety, I am grateful,” S.K. wrote.

The center’s Facebook page, which the facility can edit and maintain, boasts an average rating of 4.8 out five stars, based on feedback from 33 reviewers.[1] “Home of New Vision has giving me a brand new way of living, thinking, and being about myself,” Deaundra wrote in a representative five-star review.

Reviews from loved ones are limited but positive. P.C., the only Rehabs.com reviewer who noted their association with alumni of the facility, highlighted the center’s “multiple pathways to recovery” and the program’s high level of effectiveness. “I have seen with tremendous clarity what recovery looks like from men and women that were linked to Home of New Vision,” they wrote. Nancy, a Facebook reviewer, commended the life-saving treatment her daughter received. “They are changing lives and giving hope where there once was none!” she wrote.

The two staff members polled by Rehabs.com had positive things to say about the facility and its programming. S.S. highlighted the personal attention given to each client. “One of my favorite things about working at HNV is observing the staff working with each individual to accomplish results instead of just grouping everyone together and thinking the same thing will work for everybody,” they wrote. Another staffer using the initials S.S. praised the diversity of programming, as well as the center’s “strengths-based approach.”

Three of the four employees on Indeed submitted above-average reviews and expressed appreciation for their experience working with clients.[2] “The most enjoyable part of the job was working with humans on a very human level. Providing people with the opportunity and support to help move their lives in a direction that feels right to them,” a former case manager wrote in their review; however, one employee characterized the center as “disorganized and frustrating.”

There is currently no information provided on the facility's website regarding its costs. However, as a nonprofit organization, the center aims to provide affordable treatment for all individuals.

[1] https://www.facebook.com/homeofnewvision/
[2] https://www.indeed.com/cmp/Home-of-New-Vision/reviews?fcountry=US&floc=Ann+Arbor%2C+MI

Published on July 2017

Great inpatient treatment program. I've also been receiving outpatient treatment services from HNV for years. Most of the staff really do care. Food could be better. I ultimately made the choice to change, and was willing to do whatever it took. This place helped save my life. I love HNV :)

To ANYONE thinking of attending or sending a loved one for treatment services here: I spent all of my late teens and 20's battling alcoholism. Upon multiple treatment centers. Finally I found myself at Home of New Vision's Recovery Housing (Transitional Housing). What came next over the two years I spent there is absolutely mind blowing. First I was put into a house that was a complete dump. The house leaked, it was dirty, and it was falling apart. After several months of living there it was brought to our attention that the renter of the house (whom Home of New Vision was renting the house from) was being evicted. It took a few more months for anyone from the organization to let us know what was going on. In fact, we had the CEO come out to our house, put on a fake smile, and have a "completely open and honest" conversation with us.... YEAH RIGHT! Even our own housing coordinator claimed she had no idea what to tell us. Talk about a complete trigger for anyone struggling with addiction. You live paycheck to paycheck, struggling to make ends meet so you can pay your rent to live in a safe environment. The entire time you have no idea when you could find yourself on the streets due to eviction. Needless to say, when the time came for us to vacate the house the way Home of New Vision handled it was completely unprofessional. Several people who, in my opinion, were not as well liked by our housing coordinator were told they had two weeks to find a place to live. Here we were, a few of us moving to a different location and the rest of our friends in recovery being told they had to go. Upon arriving at the new house things went well for a while. Despite the lack of leadership from the organization, the members of the house managed to do fairly well for themselves for a few months. It was then that Home of New Vision decided to step in, shake things up, and enforce stricter rules and change the structure of the house. Talk about a complete change in your lifestyle and stress level. Trying to juggle work, school, and the requirements of the house is no easy task. Eventually I ended up slipping back into old ways and relapsed. I was asked to leave the house but could return the next day should the members of the house decide it was safe for them, and myself to return. They all agreed and I returned to the house. Two days later I was confronted yet again, this time being told that I had two choices, enter rehab or leave. Being that I had been through the motions of rehab before, I knew I screwed up, I knew what I had to do to get back on track, and I did not feel rehab was needed after a slip up. Needless to say I was forced to pack up and leave. I must also mention their absolutely HORRIBLE management of rent payments, invoices, and communication in the matter. You are constantly told that the monthly rent is X amount of dollars. You are then hounded for every penny on a weekly basis, even if you are paid up. The accountant constantly has differing numbers than your email invoices show, and the housing coordinator once sent me three texts within three days, each day I owed a different amount, varying from $120 to $460. I was also told I would be getting a phone call to be refunded the difference of what I paid for the month after leaving earlier. That phone call never came, not that I expected anything more from this organization anyways. The reason I write this review is in hopes that anyone suffering from addiction will strongly consider going elsewhere to find recovery. I moved in with family upon leaving the house and have never been better. I am still sober, despite being told hundreds of times I will not make it without doing it their way. I have relief in my life finally, not feeling like I am going to just be stuck in their revolving door, set up for failure to remain in their system and putting money in their pockets. If you are looking for uncertainty, constant change, differing opinions and direction from leadership, this is the place for you. If you want real recovery, honesty, and help for yourself or a loved one I urge you to look elsewhere. Recovery is possible with help and support, unfortunately it's just not their forte.

Produce received so fast Delivery man talk cool and handle customer Nicely Overall happy 😊👍

Effective treatment.

HNV uses a strengths-based approach to our clients for a more individualized way of treatment. We offer: Community Case Management Peer Supports Residential Treatment & Detoxification Integrated Treatment Outpatient Treatment Women's Specialty Program 23-hour crisis intervention facility Spectrum Prevention Recovery Residences Jackson Case Management and Recovery Resource Center Professional Trainings.

One of my favorite things about working at HNV is observing the staff working with each individual to accomplish results instead of just grouping everyone together and thinking the same thing will work for everybody. I've seen four or five of the facilities come together to help one person find peace. It's beautiful to know that the staff at HNV truly cares and truly wants to make a difference in each individual's life.

This program saved my life!

Great experience. Helped my life in ways I never dreamed of when I entered treatment. I was deeply touched by how much people cared and validated what I was going through. Normally I give up on things and I went voluntarily but I never missed a commitment there. They taught me what it means to be supported and many necessary skills and avenues available, for that and my sobriety, I am grateful.

I have been associated with recovering people coming out of residential and outpatient services for over a year now. I know that the staff promotes multiple pathways to recovery. I have seen with tremendous clarity what recovery looks like from men and women that were linked to Home of New Vision. The agency has gone above and beyond to advocate for recovery in Washtenaw County and will continue to be a presence in their community.

Worst experience I ever had in my life. Management was on a power trip had no interest in betterment of individuals. After the government money.

A Forever Recovery