Mountainside Treatment Center in Canaan, CT

Call (888) 200-6106 to Contact Mountainside Treatment Center

187 South Canaan Road Route 7
Canaan CT 06018

Mountainside Treatment Center Philosophy

Located at the base of the Berkshire Mountains of Connecticut, Mountainside Treatment Center offers comprehensive treatment programs for people suffering from drug and alcohol addiction. Mountainside combines evidence-based methodology with the latest advances in the treatment field to provide an experience unlike any other. Mountainside’s integrative care philosophy ensures that each client follows a program specifically designed to meet his or her individual needs and issues. With a professional and dedicated staff, Mountainside is committed to helping clients achieve lasting, meaningful recovery from addiction.

• Medical Detoxification
    Drugs and alcohol have widespread effects throughout your body, including but not limited to the addiction and/or physical/psychological dependence that develops with substance abuse over time. Many organ systems are affected by addiction and will react to withdrawal. The term “medical detoxification” means that there is a trained and licensed medical professional onsite to monitor your vital signs and protect your physical and emotional health as your body goes through withdrawal.

• Dual Diagnosis/ Co-Occurring Disorders Treatment

Convenient Day and Evening Hours

Mind Body Spirit Program

Comfortable Medically Monitored Detoxification

Randall Dwenger, MD

Medical Director

Throughout his 30-year career, Randall has built extensive knowledge in psychiatric evaluation, medication management, and individual psychotherapy services. His career path has led him to a variety of experiences, from his development and management of a detox center to his psychiatric work with veterans. He has been the Consulting Psychiatrist at Mountainside since 2008 and believes that there is great hope that each person who wants to recover has the ability to do so. At Mountainside, he provides guidance and leadership over the detoxification program, ensuring that safe and efficient services and practices are provided to our clients.

Sarah Osbourne, LPC, LADC, NCC, MATS

Director, Clinical Operations

Sarah holds a dual Master of Science in Clinical Mental Health Counseling and Counselor Education. She is a Licensed Professional Counselor, Licensed Alcohol and Drug Counselor, National Certified Counselor, and Medication Assisted Treatment Specialist. Sarah has extensive experience working with individuals suffering from addiction, including those with co-occurring disorders, personality disorders, and a history of trauma. As the Clinical Director, Sarah oversees all clinical programming in detox, residential and out-patient treatment. In partnership with the Program Development team, she develops and coordinates programming updates to ensure all clients are receiving the highest quality care and treatment interventions. In her spare time, Sarah enjoys gardening, running with her dog, learning about Buddhism, and reading about neuropsychology.

ABOUT MOUNTAINSIDE TREATMENT CENTER - CANAAN, CT

Located in the foothills of the Berkshire Mountains in rural northwestern Connecticut, Mountainside Treatment Center offers a full spectrum of care for adults struggling with substance use disorder and dual diagnosis. Programs include medical detox, residential care, outpatient treatment, and sober-living facilities. The center is also among the 17.6 percent of Connecticut-based facilities that offer dedicated treatment for adolescents, in the form of outpatient care.

Admission begins with a phone screening to determine the best course of treatment. The detox program includes 24-hour support and medication monitoring, plus an introduction to counseling and holistic therapies such as acupuncture (offered at 18.6 percent of Connecticut-based facilities). When necessary on both detox and residential programs, the facility offers medication-assisted therapy (MAT) using Suboxone, Sublocade, and/or Vivitrol.

Residential treatment takes place on a 30-day program that combines 12-step principles with individual, group, and family therapy, plus evidence-based modalities such as Seeking Safety. Mountainside also offers holistic treatments such as acupuncture, yoga, meditation, massage therapy, and adventure-based counseling. Adventure-based counseling involves overnight wilderness trips, high and low ropes courses, fitness classes, hikes, and climbing.

The Extended Care — or transitional living — program is broken down into three phases, and includes employment at a local facility, to help clients transition to life after treatment. Outpatient options consist of a six-week intensive outpatient program (IOP), offered at 45.7 percent of Connecticut-based facilities, a 10-week standard outpatient program, and ongoing individual therapy.

Clients plan for discharge with their case manager during treatment, and continuing care staff maintain contact with them after discharge to help them on their way to continued sobriety. Alumni programming includes weekly recovery meetings, regular alumni events, volunteer opportunities, and an alumni newsletter.

The treatment team at Mountainside includes licensed and credentialed clinicians including family therapists, addiction counselors, board-certified psychiatrists, medical doctors, and registered nurses, as well as practitioners trained in alternative healing. The 23 individuals polled by Rehabs.com to date on the staff were mostly impressed:

Staff Experience and Training: 4.3/5

The facility offers both shared and private rooms for male and female clients in a luxurious, well-appointed campus sitting on 75 acres of private land. The rooms offer panoramic views, abundant natural light, and soothing color pallets. Private suites are available for individuals going through detoxification treatment. These luxury detoxification suites include a king-sized bed, dining area, desk, flat-screen TV, lounge area, and full private bathroom.

Mountainside’s grounds are equipped with an auditorium, dining hall, acupuncture and yoga studios, basketball courts, a rock climbing wall, a fitness center, a chapel, a large outdoor patio, activity fields, jogging paths, challenge courses, a zipline, hiking trails, and waterfalls. The 23 individuals polled by Rehabs.com to date on the center's amenities were impressed:

Cleanliness: 4.7/5
Exercise and Leisure: 4.4/5

Alumni polled by Rehabs.com gave mostly positive feedback. The 15 alumni polled on the facility's performance in a variety of metrics indicated that they would recommend the center, and found its holistic and family programming impressive.

Holistic Offerings: 4.7/5
Would Recommend: 4.6/5
Family Participation: 4.2/5

The reviewers repeatedly praised Mountainside's mind, body, and spirit programming; scenic grounds; accommodations; and alumni network. “I cannot emphasize enough what a first-rate, progressive place Mountainside is, and it is the sole place I'd recommend to others, and that I would return to if I run into difficulty that requires in-patient treatment again," B.S.W. wrote in a representative comment. Numerous reviewers also credited the facility with saving their lives.

Despite positive reviews, many alumni noted the high cost of treatment as the facility's most glaring shortcoming. There were also isolated complaints that the center was not well set up to accommodate women, and of questionable managerial practices. Alumni were also less impressed by the center's counseling options.

Counseling Options: 3.5/5

The center also had mostly positive feedback on secondary sites at the time of this writing, with average ratings of 4.7 stars based on 83 reviews on Facebook (where the facility can manage its own page), 4.5 stars based on 59 reviews on Google, 2.5 stars based on six reviews on Yelp, and 4.6 stars based on five reviews on CiteHealth.[1] [2] [3] [4] The reviews mostly echo those submitted to Rehabs.com, praising the center's comfort and care, but criticizing its expense and billing practices.

Loved ones polled by Rehabs.com also gave mostly positive feedback. The eight friends and family members polled on a variety of performance areas gave the facility solid ratings, especially for the involvement of family members.

Family Participation: 4.5/5
Would Recommend: 4/5
Holistic Offerings: 4/5

When asked about strengths of the facility, many loved ones praised the center's peaceful, serene location, staff, and accommodations. "Mountainside is in a beautiful location. My sister said she felt at ease there. She really liked the counselors and said the food was good," K.C. wrote in a representative comment.

When asked to comment on facility weaknesses, loved ones repeatedly complained of questionable billing practices, and some also complained of a lack of aftercare.

There is currently no information provided by Mountainside regarding the cost of treatment. However, the facility accepts “most insurance plans” including Aetna, Blue Cross Blue Shield, Cigna, United Healthcare, ValueOptions, and more. The facility offers to connect clients to healthcare loans if necessary. The 23 individuals polled by Rehabs.com to date on the center's affordability gave mixed feedback.

Affordability: 3.5/5

[1] https://www.facebook.com/pg/MountainsideTreatment/reviews/?ref=page_internal
[3] https://www.yelp.com/biz/mountainside-treatment-center-canaan?osq=Mountainside+Treatment+Center
[4] https://citehealth.com/rehab-centers/connecticut/cities/canaan-cdp-in-litchfield-county/mountainside-treatment-center#reviews

Published on July 2019

Mag

This place could not have been my worst nightmare. They messed up my meds three different times. They ended up not giving me my packages because they didn’t have enough staff to go through them. The chain of command was atrocious. Besides the fact that the building looks beautiful other than that I would not recommend this place to anybody.

Judy

MTC saved my life! I am so proud to be 4 years sober.

Mich

Mountainside not only saved my life but my husband as well!! I would forever be grateful for Mountainside.

Austin Clark

The best place on earth that my son could have attended. My 26 year old son went through their detox program and then residential program and ultimately into outpatient and he is celebrating his 2 year of recovery. As a parent I felt involved and supported throughout these two years via their family wellness program. My son is an active Alumni and very involved in his education these days - we are thrilled and highly recommend Mountainside. After reviewing some of the reviews on this site, I felt compelled to give an honest review, I hope that this helps someone

Roseann W.

My son Bryan has been at Mountainside since November of 2018.Bryan currently is in the Extended Care Program. There has been such a significant change in him it's unbelievable this of course this is due to the tremendous care he has been given. While his stay at Extended Care he has been so fortunate to have the greatest team of supervisors caring for him. The team is amazing and has brought out the best of my son. One in particular has been an asset to my son's continuing recovery his sense of compassion and understanding with him is overwhelming; they all continue to bring out the best in him. I am so grateful to Mountainside and their assistants to have my son back.; I would strongly recommend Mountainside for anyone dealing with an addiction they truly care.

Js

I am an alumni. Most staff members are very nice. The nurses in detox are mostly nice if you absolutely follow their rules. They do like to let you know that they are in charge and will quickly get nasty if you don't want to attend their paper mache' building class. Addmittance is a bear, also. Calling in seeking treatment, I had to struggle with them regarding finances for an hour. Odd how you're able to negotiate with them. Once inside I found people paid significantly more, and some received a "scholarship". It's not about the care... It's about the money. I've been to Mountainside 3 times. You tell me.. Did it work? Save your money. Look in to highwatch.

Olga C

I would not recommend. My brother agreed to treatment, stayed a few days and then, like most addicts, decided he wanted to get out of there. They charged him 3,224 dollars for an early discharge. What a joke. On top of that, my dad agreed to co-sign for the stay and they never contacted him at all. Luckily, my brother is now sober and he finished paying that insane fee off. I wouldn’t recommend this place at all. There are so many other places around and would never charge you for losing control over your disease.

ED

I would never recommend this facility. We paid in full for a 12 week outpatient program when we were told they do not accept our insurance. Then they submit claims to our insurance and we receive reimbursements. We received a letter saying unless we give them the additional insurance checks, they will put our account in collections! We paid in full for the program and have a receipt! I would never recommend Mountainside. They are unscrupulous.

Andrew

I am writing to praise the Recovery Coaching Program. A staff member has been supportive and accessible during the 6 month period following release. She is warm, but firm. She knows the 'hot button' issues and makes sure things are going well, from daily texting to weekly FaceTime and phone calls. is a big part of the ongoing recovery and we highly recommend her.

MST

The most unprofessional and cruel experience. It took days to get my son to agree to go to rehab and Mountainside seemed great on the uptake. However after phone intake questionnaire we were admitted to the property. Standing in the lobby we were told he was refused treatment. Can you imagine the feeling rejection? It took days to get him to agree to go again. We had no choice but to detox at home which is very dangerous and wait for a bed at Silver Hill a vastly superior treatment facility. I believe my son, a young musician, didn't fit into their patient image even though we, his parents are professionals, and could well afford his treatment. There is something wrong with their eval procedure so beware.

Lisa

Mountainside has a three fold program (Mind, Body and Soul) for our three fold illness. The staff are wonderful. The CEO, has established and maintains a powerful program of selfcare and stabilization.

Cheryl

This facility opened as men's only, so the accommodations and male centric approach to care are abundantly biased. The women couldn't even read a New York Times newspaper which was only available to the men's section.

Sj

Horrible customer service with family communications. Have no considerate for the actual mind state of patients.

Adele

My son was losing his battle with ophoids due to needing them after a serious surgery. A friend mentioned Mountainside and I am SO GLAD she did. He was not treated like a loser but someone who was ready to get his life back. The place is beautiful, the food is great and the counselors really know their stuff (not to mention VERY compassionate). I strongly suggest that this is the place you go to for substance abuse!

LW

My son entered thus facility with the assumption there would be no out-of-pocket expense to him. Staff refused to buy groceries for 5 days leaving his group with nothing to eat but cereal & ramen noodles. No ability to fix a meal to take with him off site for classes. Personal items sent to him were taken by staff. Now he has been sent to collections for $30,000 for substandard treatment. I am posting to every social media I can. His 30 days of hell did him no good. No one called about his recovery only the collection agency trying to collect "balance billing".

Rosa

Do not go to this facility ...they told me that my insurance covered everything and that everything was fine ...fast forward 2 months and now I have a 25,000$ bill on my credit report. These people take advantage of people at their most vulnerable state...DO NOT trust these peopeople!

K

I have positive and negative things I feel about Mountainside. It was my first Rehab. I checked in June, 2017 for 30 day treatment. I was lucky to get a great individual counselor, who really took time to guide me. If you are over 40 or gay, DO NOT GO TO MOUNTAINSIDE! There is a culture among some of the younger guests of intolerance. The staff did little to deter this. I was a daily disturbance to my stay there. Mind, Body, and Spirit programs were great. Others, not so much. Maybe I went over a bad month? But it's hard to know. Pros- Campus is beautiful. Food is good. Program helps. Cons: The bottom line here is money! They want insurance, copay's, you name it. After Care encourages Mountainside in a cultish way. I found it odd that I asked about outpatient in NYC and after 3 visits to a "specialist", I received 2 recommendations, 1 in Manhattan and 1 in Westchester! There was also an after care 'specialist' that wanted me to sign up with a Mountainside sober coach for $1200 a month. After meeting with her, and she called my husband 3 times (with my permission) we said No and never heard from her again.

Cheryl

Negligent management of my 18 year old daughter's case and her release. They kicked her out before we could arrange for transportation. Irresponsible. My daughter was devastated and so were we.

OR

Beautiful Place. Decent Housing. 50% Of The Staff Were Okay. The Rest Had No Idea What They Were Doing. Access To Medical And Psych Was Way Difficult. Had 2 Seperate Cases Of Privacy Situations... releases of information mean nothing to them. Best advice stay ONTOP OF YOUR OWN TREATMENT. don't rely on anyone else.

Jack

My daughter was seriously hooked on heroin. She tried two other rehabs but each time she got out, she went back to drugs within days. It was an endless struggle. She knew she needed help and, like us, were desperate! Our doctor suggested we try Mountainside. She was accepted with a welcoming smile and made to feel at home. Not going to lie, she struggled, but she's an addict and getting drugs physically and mentally out of your system is not easy. The great news is, she completed the program and went into their extended care program. She finally learned how to cope with everyday stress without having to lean on drugs as a crutch. She even realized she has a passion for cooking! She is coming up on her one year clean date and we have never been so proud of her and the team at Mountainside! THANK YOU!!!!

LCY

Facilities, Alumni relations, Good / Caring people were all strengths. Cost was a downfall. There is a loyal group of us that have bonded together because of or connection to Mountainside. We keep in touch and see each other often.

Mkw

Offers a multi discipline approach to recovery which addresses mind, body and spiritual needs. Allows too much personal choice in determining curriculum which resulted in undisciplined individuals lots of yoga and acupuncture in lieu of developing knowledge and skills of staff and 12 steps in developing lifestyle changes. i.e., fun vs. survival strategies. The recovery program at Mountainside saved my life. But an individual needs to want to be saved and work the program.

This facility was great!

JNA

Openness, understanding, fairness were all strengths. Evening meetings could have been better. They do a great job, I am very fortunate to have gone there compared to other places I have heard about

LCY

SR

Staff and program Some of the facility and policies The program is outstanding, the staff is highly trained and the facility is in wonderful shape. Is it perfect no, but is there that is? I would highly recommend this facility to family and friends.

Offers clients choices Vague financial disclosure Friendly staff,approachable,good dictation of time,flexible schedule,well guided,clean,not overly strict,not enough supervision in the tv lounge things got out of hand a number of times otherwise I had a good experience what you put in is in direct proportion to your result,excellent staffing in acupuncture and Chi-Gong,loved the mind body spiritual approach that is what has helped me stay sober the most.

JNA

AP

Mind body spirit program was great. Top heavy management could improve.

BGC

Absolutely wonderful mind body spirituality staff. Loved the morning "meditations" which were discussions based on a wide range of New Age and literary texts. Lovely location. Hiking and other activities available. Some people complained about weekend programming but it was one of my favorite parts. It's small, Men and women are not supposed to socialize at all, even during breaks which I thought was ridiculous.

em

mind body spirit was a strength. upper management involvement could have been better. it was a mystical place!

Cheryl

My 18 year old daughter was there and was asked to leave without notice. They called us and said she was in the lobby and needed to get picked up. They left her to fend for herself which tells me they weren\'t professionals caring about her recovery but reckless. There\'s a lot of drama going on there and my daughter was too young to deal with it. This is more a money making place for the business - careless disregard for the patients. The staff is nasty when you go to visit as well.

Blue

I came here two years ago and this place truly changed my life. It really begins and ends with the quality of the staff at Mountainside. The Adventure Based Counseling is second to none, and provided me with a new outlook on life. One thing that I think they should add in the future is massage therapy. Other than that, they really have it all.

D W

I can\'t say enough- From the genuine staff that would always stop to say Hi to my counselor that always made time for me. This facility was amazing. The food to the groups are the best I\'ve ever expierance. I have been to many facilities in the north east and Mountainside truly was the best. I loved the staff and their commitment. I felt it wasn\'t a facility where people showed up for paychecks but I place people loved to work and cared for how I felt. Shortly before I finished my stay I had a case manager who helped me continue treatment. One guy assisted me entering the Extended Care program where I had the best expierance of my life. From the 12 steps , to a clinical program, to the life skills they tough me. I truely learned about education and application. I AM PROUD TO SAY O HAVE OVER A YEAR SOBER! ECare feels like it saved my life. 3 individuals in particular really showed me how to enjoy a sober life. I couldn\'t say enough of Mountainside, they showed me how to reach my true potential.

KB

I came to Mountainside about a year or so ago and had a pleasant time. I think the best part was the facility itself and the therapists in detox and residential. Today I work the steps and am involved in helping others. I started working in the energy field and can support myself!

AP

I have mixed feelings about this place. Beautiful grounds, friendly staff. Then I get to the detox unit. I wait three days to see the doctor who is a condescending little man. Most of the nurses were friendly and informative. As my luck would have it, most of the days I was there, there was this one nurse on duty. I literally watched this woman sit on her butt ALL day. Diverting patients away from her, ordering the aides around like they were servants in her kingdom and gossiping about other coworkers in earshot of other patients. The facility would get 5 stars from me without her and Dr.

TR

They\'re all about the money simple as that

steve

Just got a bill for $9,875 for 3 days of alcohol evaluation.....I hope it\'s a billing error.

BSW

Incredibly dedicated, empathetic, knowledgeable and helpful start from "top" to "bottom". Wide variety of approaches and options and the ability to choose and focus on those that speak to you. Excellent four-star-hotel quality detox facility, and improving (very comfortable, but not "luxe" residential facility, largely reasonable "rules" that are applied even-handedly and provide a safe environment. Health insurance and post-treatment staff who's knowledge and determination greatly exceeded my expectations. Very well-prepared and healthy food. An active and growing alumni support program that my wife and I have participated in and plane to continue doing so. Few. The post-detox residential rooms and common areas could be updated to match the overall excellence of the facilities in all other respects. I cannot empasize enough what a first-rate, progressive place Mountainside is, and it is the sole place I'd recommend to others, and that I would return to if I run into difficulty that requires in-patient treatment again.

Amazing faculty, good connectivity. Traffic outside the building is a nightmare. I thought they did a good job overall with what they are given.c

Convenience was nice.

Staff is attentive. Treatments were good Some parts of treatment dragged on. It helped when no one else would. Affordable and easy to get to. Staff was great

It was conventional therapy

Croup seccion was nice. It help me get better change my life

Dedicated and professional staff They don't accept all insurance plans. If you have the correct insurance, it is a very affordable choice. The staff is very dedicated to their patients and conducts themselves in a very professional manner. There are a high number of programs to select from within this facility in order to get the best course of treatment for the individual need.

C G

Strengths: Updated rooms, dining hall, common areas; Relaxed, pleasant surroundings free from outside distractions; extended care includes employment in facility-run restaurant. Weaknesses: Treatment of co-occuring conditions; extended care program does not include comprehensive transition plan for after care. Our 25 year old son was admitted twice to Mountainside's 30 day in-patient program. Therapist are well trained, caring, and connected to clients. Second stay included 3 months at Mountainside's E-Care program. Facility is stellar, unique opportunity to work (serving, prep work, bussing, etc.) at Mountainside's own restaurant a few miles away (transportation provided). But when time came to transition out of E-Care, there was no specific plan provided, one thing led to another, and our son is currently being treated in another facility.

Jillian

One on one was a strength but No phone or internet I am clean from still 7 years later

K R

Great environment peaceful place to recover. Needs to spend more time about issues with clients. Staff was great ad very nice

Michael

Spirituality was a strength. I am grateful I had the opportunity. I have over 7 years of sobriety since leaving the facility. I still live in the town. I lived in a sober house for one year after and created a whole new life as a productive member of the town.

very clean with people who seem to care a lot, the food was no big deal, people that care also a nice setting

Proximity was good. Treatments were a weakness. Has potential to be very good

Staff was a strength. Contact response time should improve. Great place overall

nice Staff, nice facility, decor was a weakness. My brother had an overall good, productive experience and would highly recommend.

Donna

If you could get past the admissions people then I would give a higher rating. My daughter completed treatment a year ago but fell \"off the wagon\". Having been to an out of state place that didn\'t help, she wanted Mountainside again feeling it a better choice. The admission director will take a message if they are busy but no one calls you back. They first said they couldn\'t take her because she had a balance. Then billing told us that she owed $250 from the previous admit but it hadn\'t been billed to us because they just receive the notice from the insurance company. She called again and Even though our insurance covers detox they told her they couldn\'t detox her unless she paid $8,000 cash and another $2,000 copayment for an admit. They haven\'t returned our call asking about why someone who has met their annual out of pocket and is asking for medical care covered by their insurance must bring cash. I think the admission people must be commissioned. I would love to give my opinion on their claim to treate dual diagnosis but I have a rehab to find.

Jm

Bottom line for me is my wife started drinking within 2 weeks of discharge from mountainside. I never heard from them after she left. I could have been the particular circumstances with my wife, but I would ask them the rate of relapse amongst patients. I\'d be surprised if they could tell you

LW

I was an inpatient at Mountainside in 2012 and this place saved my life. The staff cared and the fact that most of them were in recovery helped because I felt like they really understood my situation. I liked that while they offered the 12 step approach, they also had adventure-based counseling and a mind body spirit program so that I could explore different approaches to recovery and coping tools. After I left, I was able to take a little from each experience and create my own customized approach to recovery that works for me. While I attended the suggested 90 meetings in the first 90 days of recovery while living in a sober house right after mountainside (often the next suggested step), I ultimately decided NA and AA weren't really for me. Thanks to exposure to the adventure-based and mind body spirit approaches at Mountainside, I have other options and over 3 years later I continue to be strong in recovery. One of the staff members created the mind body spirit program there, was absolutely amazing - unfortunately I don't think he works there anymore. When I got to Mountainside, I was scared and didn't want to be there. When I left, I was sad to leave.

CP

I am currently an out-patient client at Mountainside. I thought that by spending the $1,800 out-patient tuition, I would get access to world class medical and psychiatric care. I understand that the cost is additional. I did not, however, expect that I would have to request help. It seemed to me that a menu of services would be provided from which I could choose medical, psychiatric or psychology help. None was offered. I had to advocate for access to a psychiatrist. I was provided the services of a doctor for $600 for an initial meeting. The cost is fine, if a bit steep. The doctor was energetic and I'm comfortable recommending him. He\'s competent. ... Mountainside mixes both in-patient and out-patient clients in group therapy. This creates awkward energy in group therapy because the in-patients have had bonding experiences like sports, paintball, fishing trips, a carnival (whatever that is), while the out-patient clients have had no ability to enjoy sober activities with the other clients. Thus it’s harder to build a sober life without making sober friends. As an out-patient client, I would not have chosen Mountainside knowing what I know now. Out-patient treatment at Mountainside is weak on services, heavy on the 12-step agenda and leaves the out-patient clients feeling alienated. Mountainside’s out-patient program is relatively new, and hugely disorganized. I was subject to many scheduling errors, resulting in me not being able to see my psychiatrist for two weeks. Steer clear of out-patient services at Mountainside. While I cannot speak to the inpatient experience, I can certainly comment on the outpatient deficiencies. Save your pennies for inpatient somewhere. Mountainside might be an option for this, but for outpatient treatment, Mountainside is of little help.

As

I was just watching a popular reality show where a celeb had a cell phone. What bull. I stayed 28 days and not only couldn\'t have phone, but was practically strip searched. I couldn\'t even bring a magazine and had to get papal dispensation to get clothes. Yes clothes people. Had to wait 2 weeks to get my stuff. The place sucks. Good luck. Be sure to stand firm on sweat house. They pressure big time.

AP

I needed to be removed from society in order to stop using. I was angry and did not want to be there.The food was good so that I stayed. After 2-days the fog started to lift, and I figured I may as well give it a try.It was a good experience. I met a few good men and we encouraged each other to stay positive.

Facility is located away from all distractions. The staff is well trained, professional and compassionate. They have an outdoor challenge course that patients can use. Only downfall was that it was located a little far from our home.

Joe

I was there twice relapsed both times. It was not their fault. They made every effort. I refused. I am doing well now and using the tools I learned from them. Outstanding staff and facilities.

Mark

I attended a sober house as aftercare.

john

Mountainside ripoff!! All they care about is taking your money. They lost their way when they went for profit. Everyone pays a different price.

Christine

They have some very educated and talented staff; many are very caring, however the administration there is extremely rigid and passive-aggressive. They don't respect the patient who asks questions or raises concerns. They get very resistant when their authority is threatened - very egotistical. They even go the extreme of avoiding the patient who asks to meet and talk with them. ... As long as you do exactly what they say you will be fine, but if you try to individualize your care and voice concerns of any kind, expect to meet great resistance, avoidance and unprofessional behavior (even retaliation). Many of the administration are very inflexible; they do not work with patient to make individualized plan. The aftercare was terrible. The aftercare person had no idea what she was doing.

Amy

Mountainside changed and literally saved my life. I am forever grateful to the staff and facility. I would go back in a second and would recommend it for anyone struggling with addiction.

KC

My sister struggled with addiction for 25 years and finally received inpatient treatment a year ago. I thank God for Mountainside. My sister really wanted sobriety and she found it through her own program but Mountainside detoxed her, gave her the tools that she needed, and the push she needed to get started and to stay engaged. Mountainside is in a beautiful location. My sister said she felt at ease there. She really liked the counselors and said the food was good. She said that some of the other patients got away with a lot and that some stuff went missing. I explained to her that that is typical of any rehab.

Esm

I have achieved multiple years of sobriety and started my journey in Canaan Connecticut. While there I was given tools to live a sober life. I have a debt of gratitude to Mountainside!

Anonymous 2015

After my detox and 28 days at Mountainside it was more than apparent, this facility does not support sobriety...every thing comes with a cost...Your aftercare will solely be based on how deep your pockets are. After being out for several weeks, months...not one follow up phone call from this facility. Nothing!!! Sundays are filled with absolutely nothing to do, If you don't have family visiting you're on your own. If you do have family visiting they are subjected to a 2.5hr meeting in which they are required to attend and participate...You will then experience the sub-par food, yesterdays meatloaf is now today's Chili...It was also interesting to find out the huge disparity in out of pocket cost, this is based on your bank account (cash on hand). You will also be told you can have a spending account in which money can be put on account for incidentals such as candy, cigarettes, laundry etc. .... If you like ultra modern furniture, this is the place for you, if you have deep pockets and a big bank account , this is the place for you.... I can proudly say I'm clean and sober and succeeding day to day in spite of my time at Mountainside...Proud to be clean but this was my choice, my time .

anonymous

An ideal place to begin my recovery. Regardless, I had to want to get sober, and today I have to want to STAY sober.

JC

This center is staffed mostly by individuals in recovery. It is a positive atmosphere which empowers residents. It offers activities such as hiking, ropes courses, and sweat lodges. They have 12 step meetings at the center and also take you to meetings within the surrounding community. They dispense medication but do not have doctors on staff, they will help you find a doctor in the area for a specific need you may have and transport you there. Accommodations were not luxurious but they were comfortable. The food was very good and they offered choices for different diets. They had a chore list the residents would help with. They allow smoking but also do a lot of education on it and offer assistance in quitting. They did not take insurance but were affordable. I was there twice back in approximately 2003 and 2004 so things may have changed some. I would absolutely recommend this facility to someone who has a desire to get help.

Carlos

The group meetings were excellent at helping the patients deal with our emotions. I am very thankful that I went to Mountainside. So many different cases of drugs and alcohol addiction get treated here; and yet no one is bunched together as just an addict. Everyone is a person and the counselors make sure to help each one according to their needs.

Marc

Pure and simple, I needed to get sober and I needed a place that would not only help me to do that but give me the tools I need to stay that way. Mountainside checked all the boxes!

Lisa

Beautiful place, amazing people who will work with you every way possible to get you clean and sober AND stay that way!