Oaks Recovery Center in Greenwood, SC

(4 of 5)
711 East Scotch Cross Rd
Greenwood SC 29646

Oaks Recovery Center Philosophy

Oaks Recovery Center exclusively follows the Twelve Step program, with no modifications or adaptations. The program is built on extensive experience and proven through many years of use. Although each person’s journey through the steps is different, we believe that the full journey, when completed, is an effective path to recovery. Our staff leverages their experience with addiction and recovery to help our residents, but only within the twelve steps.

• Long Term Extensive Program
    The long term vocational program at Salvation Oaks implements the same study and application of the Twelve Steps of Recovery with the addition of vocational rehabilitation and employment opportunities. Vocational rehabilitation includes assistance with resume creation, proper completion of job applications and transportation to/from interviews and work. This program is a minimum of a four month commitment with the option to stay longer until the participant is prepared to move to the next stage of living life in recovery.

• Short Term Intensive Program
    The short term intensive program at Salvation Oaks is a minimum of a 28 day commitment. This program focuses on an in depth condensed study and application of the Twelve Steps of Recovery outlined in the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous. This program is a residential experience with small group session designed to present the curriculum effectively in a short amount of time. Participants of the short term program will have direct access to staff daily along with study groups and tools. Each participant is encouraged to remain in the program until they are prepared to return home.

Back to the Basics with the 12-Steps

Affordable & Successful Treatment

ABOUT OAKS RECOVERY CENTER

Located in the small, serene town of Greenwood, S.C., Oaks Recovery Center offers two of the 19 (16.7 percent) inpatient programs in the state for men and women struggling with alcohol and drug dependency. The Short-Term Intensive Program has a minimum commitment of 28 days, while the facility’s Long-Term Extensive Program requires a minimum stay of four months.

All programming is gender-specific, making this center one of the 58 in the state with specifically-tailored groups for men and one of the only 52 in the state with specifically-tailored groups for women. Regardless, clients are encouraged to stay as long as necessary to acquire and maintain lasting sobriety. On-site detox services are not available.

Oaks Recovery Center is built upon the 12-step model of recovery, emphasizing step work, daily peer groups, and studying the written materials of Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) / Narcotics Anonymous (NA). The program also includes cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) and holistic offerings such as yoga and meditation.

The two inpatient programs differ not only in length but also in their focus. The short-term program is more intense, emphasizes long-term stabilization and recovery, and practices in small 12-step groups. Treatment includes 12-step workshops, study sessions and open discussions of the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous, and an evening reflection period.

The Long-Term Extensive Program also provides vocational rehabilitation, requiring participants to obtain a job during their commitment at Salvation Oaks. Treatment involves the same as the short-term program in addition to a morning meditative session where clients study spiritual materials. The facility helps with creating résumés, completing job applications, and transporting clients to interviews. Upon completion of either program, Salvation Oaks assists with referrals to community outpatient services and sober living facilities.

Oaks Recovery Center’s small team is made up of recovery specialists and a master’s-level program director, many of whom have recovered from addiction themselves. In the state of South Carolina, 98.2 percent of all substance abuse treatment centers have continuing education requirements for staff. There are no medical staff on the property.

The gender-separate facilities for men and women are both set against a wooded area. Clients share dorm rooms and meet in communal spaces. Recreation options include an onsite gym and a Crossfit program. Laundry services and a small store are available as well.

Of 28 former clients surveyed by Rehabs.com to date, 21 gave Oaks Recovery Center positive reviews, two gave it mixed reviews, and 10 provided negative reviews, indicating polarized reactions to the quality of treatment. Positive reviewers praised the positive atmosphere and 12-step based treatment. Alum T.A. wrote: “The staff lifted me up and actually gave me a solution. They taught me the tools to live sober. Going through the 12 steps was such a profound experience that now I carry this message of hope wherever I go.”

Many alumni credited the facility with being "life-saving," and former client R.B. praised the dedicated and supportive staff: "The Staff at OAKS and the others there in recovery ALWAYS no matter what were there for me and others literally 24 hours a day 7 days a week whenever we needed someone to talk to."

In contrast, mixed and negative reviewers criticized the facility for accommodations stretched over capacity, heavy reliance on Christian messaging, and poor assistance with job searches. Alum A.D. had mixed feelings about the accommodations but respected certain educators, writing, “Money is misspent, food and lodgings are deplorable. There are, however, certain bright spots. Both the former and current Directors of Teaching and Curriculum are amazing men, the only ones holding this ramshackle operation together.”

At the time of this writing on Google, the center has earned a near-perfect average rating of 4.8 out of five stars based on 30 reviews[1] Former clients repeatedly shared stories of trying other treatment centers but finally remaining sober with the help of the "dedicated" staff and the "great" program at Oaks. "Its not a treatment center or rehab. Its a recovery community that WORKS," A.J. shared in a representative comment. Alum C.T. added, "I was given love, care, direction, and guidance by all the staff and fellow residents."

Family members and friends reported overwhelmingly positive experiences at Oaks to Rehabs.com to date. Nine of the the ten respondents credited the facility with saving their loved ones' lives. Many parents noted that their children had not been successful at other recovery facilities, but that Oaks provided the "support system" to allow for long-lasting recovery. "They showed him the tools with in himself, to find himself and live a life of Sobriety," parent A.H. representatively wrote, and another parent, Heidi, added, "Love love love the staff... amazing facility!"

Prices vary per client, but the cost of a one-month residency starts at $1,200. The facility does not accept insurance, but partial financial aid is available to those who qualify. Potential clients may speak with admissions specialists to find the program that best fits their needs.

Published on May 2018

KLC

Just spent three months with the oaks facility and one of the best decisions I’ve made. It is a pier run program which in my opinion is genius. If you feel it’s dirty clean it, if someone needed help we help each other, we learned and grew together with sobriety as our goal. The staff is on property they are fair and stern which clearly is what we all need. I will and have recommended the oaks to any family members and friends in need of help with real recovery. Only wish they were a medical facility. Thank you for your knowledge time and consistency

laurie

This is a great place. it is the only place my son has done well . A great group of people. Tremendous support I highly recommend them

Laurie

I have spoken to kids That have been flown from FL to the Oaks You threw them out like they were garbage I don't know how you except (I thought was 1500.00) 1.200.00 the loved one gets there and is expected to work & pay 800 a month How you have 3 bathrooms to 51 men is outrageous and unhealthy If someone read your advertisement they would think this is wonderful Unbelievable just unbelievable This is outrageous

Allen

I flew across the country to come to Oaks Recovery and it's the only place that is teaching the 12 steps of AA and teaching men how to get transitioned back into society.

KGC

I thank God every day that my nephew found Oaks Recovery. It has saved his life!!! Thank You!!!

Heidi

My son has thrived at The Oaks. He has commenced and moved on to Sober Living. Best Recovery Community he has ever experienced!! Love love love the staff... amazing facility!

So great to hear how well your son is doing and that he was able to find recovery at Oaks!

Sherry

They will constantly call you to convenience you that they care about you getting clean.....yea right....its all about the money a whole $4000 worth for 28 days....after a couple weeks they find immature reasons to kick you out.......they dont even drug test you....now please enlighten me on what true rehab that doesnt do drug screens....

Jr

This place is disgusting. No one should send their loved one there. They life you in with there pitch of 1,200 to get into treatment and within 7 days of being there they kick you out in the street to get a job then start charging 200 a week.The food is terrible and on many days they don't have enough food to feed the guys that live there. When I left there was 72 guys in sight with 3 bathrooms. The staff are complete hill billies. This place and the people are ill. Don't send your love one there

The long-term program at Oaks Recovery includes a vocational program in order to help residents practice essential life skills, such as resume writing and how to prepare for a job interview. Additionally, it allows residents to be well on their way to financial independence and security by the time they complete the program. However, the staff at Oaks always puts recovery first. We often encourage residents to pass up job opportunities whose schedules or environments would have a detrimental impact on their recovery, and each resident is properly guided through the early steps before beginning job search. Here at Oaks, we take the nutritional needs of our residents very seriously as addiction and alcoholism leaves many incoming residents underweight. The quantity prepared is based on the number of residents present for the meal to minimize food waste. On the rare occasion that we underestimate the amount needed, we always ensure that another meal is bought or prepared for anyone who missed out. Feedback we have received from our residents has helped us to revamp our menu over the last year, and we have more improvements planned for the kitchen in 2018. Oaks Recovery Center currently has 8 bathrooms and a maximum capacity of 71 men. We are presently working on plans to add another 2 full bathrooms in our front house and 2 additional showers in our main building. We are constantly looking to improve our facilities to create the best environment for our residents to build a solid foundation of recovery. Finally, Oaks Recovery is proudly based in South Carolina with staff and volunteers coming predominantly from Southern backgrounds. We would be happy to share some of that hospitality and sweet tea that we are famous for with anyone looking for a new life free from alcohol and drugs.

Margo

I owe it all to OAKS and God! BOTH SAVED MY LIFE! I know that I have read some of the reviews from people on here that are unsavory as well as negative however I would like to share my experience with OAKS. Sure there are options you may see on TV commercials for these high price high end options for treatment and correct you will not find that at the OAKS, however let me share why this is an ASSET. You see OAKS taught me many things that I lost care and concern for while in active addiction. At OAKS we had to be re-taught and re-acclimated into becoming productive, responsible and accountable adults into society. We had to clean our own rooms vs. concierge maid service and this retaught me self-respect and self-worth and responsibility. When at OAKS we had to prepare our own food for ourselves as well as the others vs. room service or restaurant style dining, this re-taught us again simple task of being self-sufficient as well as caring for others and responsibility of meeting the needs of others and not just ourselves selfishly. When at OAKS we are required to make our beds every morning and this taught me as what my bed really meant to me and to embrace it as a blessing to after so long in addiction to actually have something to call my own, my own bed. At OAKS you have to rise early, attend group meetings, do chores for the household and this re-taught me discipline with time, punctuality and accountability which are all things I lost while in active addiction. At OAKS they loved me the moment I got off the bus ( which in fact they accomadated me by picking me up once I arrived in Greenwood) OAKS loved me when I literally no longer even loved myself. The Staff at OAKS and the others there in recovery ALWAYS no matter what were there for me and others literally 24 hours a day 7 days a week whenever we needed someone to talk to, struggled with sobriety related issues or just needed assurance in our learning process and walk towards sobriety. I wouldn't trade my experience at OAKS for a million dollar treatment facility or for a million dollars cash at that! So I urge anyone reading the reviews that come across some of the sour ones to stop and think about all the positive ones praising this place, in my opinion as I know some of the ones that wrote the negative ones also did not adhere nor embrace the guidelines of OAKS and like any experience in life you can only get out of it WHAT you put into it. So to be honest OAKS saved my LIFE! and I am writing this review today with a clean and sober date of 1 year, 1 month and 15 days, and pray that others get the blessing I have received I owe it all to OAKS and to GOD!

Thank you for your honest review and feedback Margo! We are so happy to be a part of your story! Please keep in touch!

Ryan B

I went to Oaks from May through June 2017. It was my first rehab experience. I suppose it will help to share a little bit about who I was prior to going in... I was thrown in jail for a second time in April 2017. I was broken, estranged from my family and friends and left behind a very successful career. I gave it all up for Meth, GHB, Heroin, you name it. My family had tried to intervene before but I wasn't receptive. After I was arrested this second time, however, I hit my rock bottom. Every penny was going to drugs. And very little of the money I had was actually earned by me. Most came from begging, manipulating people around me or selling my stuff. A few years prior to all of this, I was making a high six-figures. I had tried to get clean on my own, but it was always short-lived. I mainly switched from meth to opiates, and in my crazy mind I considered this being "drug free." When I was arrested, I was beaten up, 30 pounds underweight and didn't have a dime to my name. My mother should've given up on me, but for some weird reason, my family came closer, and my lawyer (who is very familiar with alcohol and drug addiction), asked me what was really going on. He didn't want to just put me back out on the streets where I'd go right back to where I was. So, I agreed with the plan to ask the courts to let me go to rehab. I was living in Pennsylvania at the time, and the idea was to change people, places and things. My mother gave me a list of three rehabs to call. Oaks was the third place. I spoke with Robert from admissions in jail. He told me a bit about the process. I wasn't very receptive to the idea of going in to a facility for 6 months, so the idea of doing a short-term program appealed to me. I'm sure a big part of that, selfishly, was the thought that I could be done faster. Aside from that, I really can't say what about the Oaks appealed to me. But out of the three places, Oaks sounded special. Looking back now, I believe something was guiding me. My friends looked up Oaks and they told me their concerns. "The reviews... aren't so great." "It says here that all they serve for breakfast is milk and cereal." Others said the place was a dump or that the staff really didn't care. My mother inquired about those claims and the staff at Oaks promised they weren't true. Besides, I thought, I'm going to Oaks to RECOVER, not to sample fine cuisine. The cost to go to Oaks is relatively cheap compared to all the other places I had originally looked in to. But at the end of the day, it was my family who put up the money for this place. By the grace of God, I was given the chance to go to rehab, and I flew down 24-hours after being released from county. I arrived on the property like a deer caught in headlights. This is where I'd call home for 4-6 weeks. A few dozen guys went out of their way to introduce themselves and welcome me. I arrived just as Retirement started, and being completely new to all of this, my new roommates welcomed me in and let me listen. As a Roman Catholic, Retirement sounded a lot like confession. You open up about any resentments and ill actions that are on your mind that day, so you can go to bed with a clear conscience. I don't know about you, but when I arrived at Oaks, my conscience was not clear. I was broken down and sad. When I got up for my first meal, the guys called me to the front. It's a very cool tradition where the newest people get to eat first as part of the philosophy that the most important member of AA/NA is the newest member. As for the food... I have no idea what people are complaining about. I ate better there than I had in years. I don't know any crackhead or heroin junkie who ate lobster and steak every day, but I quickly learned that those complaining about such things were the ones who weren't paying attention to the program nor serious about recovery. Everyone had chores to do. Some griped about that. For me, I understood the concept. The staff had some very strict guidelines. No internet, no cell phones, etc. We were there to focus on ourselves. One guy put it very well to me when he said, "I don't need to worry about the outside world. When am I going to have the chance to take a month off from life to properly work on myself and my healing?" He's right. This wasn't a month vacation, but it was a chance to try and course-correct our lives, which up until we came in those doors, had become unmanageable. I met Robby on my third day, and let me just say that that first day of class was like opening up every wound in my body. And then when other men shared their stories... it floored me. Here I was sitting back and thinking I had very little in common with these people. Quite the opposite. We may come from different backgrounds, but I saw myself in every story. They give us a copy of the AA book and a notebook when we first arrive. Both are very sacred to me. i wrote notes from every class I took. Oaks is where I was reborn. My original philosophy was that if I just stopped using, then the problem was done. But that's not it. What i discovered at Oaks is that I was a very broken and unhappy person. i had suspected it, but with every class, every page I read, every time the sun set, I learned something new about myself. How can one put a price on that? Now, a few things about Oaks... FOOD: I went from eating maybe a hamburger every other day to three fully cooked meals that ranged from Pork and Mashed Potatoes to Chicken Alfredo. There was ALWAYS extra. I love the food, it kinda pisses me off how people gripe about that when again, none of us were eating well beforehand to begin with. A+. LODGING: I had three roommates. You never know who you're going to get and I heard some guys complaining about theirs, but I couldn't have asked for better roommates. If it was luck, then thank you God. But over the course of me being there, some of my roommates came and went, so I really think it just comes down to respect. We all respected one another. I seriously miss my bed. Prior to Oaks, I was in JAIL with no immediate future. At Oaks, at least my mother was taking my calls, and I knew every time that I woke up, that I was starting to do the RIGHT thing. The Oaks staff often say before we pray, "let's take a minute to think about what our beds represent to us." I seriously thought about that. Honestly, six months since leaving the Oaks, I still think about what that bed meant to me. It meant hope. We had a desk to share, we each had our own dresser... I was fine. A+ THE FACILITY (LIVING WISE)... At the time I was there there were only two showers and three bathrooms, which made things frustrating a bit. However, it never bothered me. I didn't ever have to wait hours. Only minutes. There was a TV to watch in the dining hall and it's my understanding that they're now building a brand new meeting facility for that which will be available next month. But, on weekends, I got to channel surf and watch some TV. A. THE STAFF: Those guys were always busy. The main person I worked with I firmly believe he came into my life to help save me. The guy is passionate about what he does, no one can argue with that. You see it every day. He comes to the property on weekends where guys will seek him out. Right as I was leaving, they brought in a new Mens Co-Director. I only got to know him for a few days but an excellent man with experience and the gift to look right through any BS. As they say, they're not there to be your friend, they're there to save your life. Richard is the other mens co-director who helped enforce the rules but every time he ever spoke to me it was for my own benefit. He'd remind me to make my bed if I forgot (as a guy in my 30s, there's no reason why i shouldn't make my bed), or if I was late. I don't think there was ever a time where I was unfairly pulled aside. They're there to keep us safe and to focus on recovery. Another side note, as a gay guy, I never experienced ANY disrespect or prejudice. In order to work on myself and share parts of my story, I had to be open with my sexuality, and never once, amongst 50 other dudes who were mostly straight, did I ever feel left out or neglected. This disease hits all of us, and the amount of diversity and respect I experienced during my time at Oaks is something that is dear to my heart. At the end of the day, I just wanted to get back on track with life, and to stop being sick and tired of being sick and tired. I wanted to look at myself in the mirror and not be disgusted with what I saw. The bond between everyone there is precious to me. Every guy there helped save my life. We were a small community, all working together to try and pick ourselves back up. I still can't explain it, but there is something special happening at Oaks. It's tucked away down a field in Greenwood, SC, but every time I have visited, it felt like I was coming back home. After all, it's the place where I was reborn. I feel no amount of words will ever do this place justice. All I can say is that it worked for me and thank you to everyone at Oaks.

Thank You Ryan for sharing your experience and story at Oaks. We are proud of all your progress and glad to call you part of our family and community!

AH

I can not express my Thanks and Gratitude to Oaks Recovery The loved they showed reached out and saved my son !!! If it was not for Oaks who knows where or what would have happened to him. They showed him the tools with in himself, to find himself and live a life of Sobriety. For this I Thank God ! every night for Oaks Recovery I can sleep at night knowing he is safe.. Keep doing what your doing ONE soul at a time. May Peace be with you ALL

Frankie Dennis

I will be forever grateful for Oaks Recovery Center!! This place not only taught me how to live my life without using drugs and alcohol but they taught me how to be a productive member of society. There was a time I wasn't allowed to be in the same room with my daughter without supervision due to my drug use! Today thanks to the Oaks and the grace of God we are watching Trolls (her favorite movie) singing and dancing to all the songs by ourselves! It's the small things that make life full!! The Oaks not only saved my life but my fiancé life as well. Now we can both be the parents that our angel of a daughter deserves!!

Kayla S

The Oaks saved my life! This is a place where miracles happen!

AV

Thank you for all the help and support you provide to anyone in need.

Rob

The Oaks recovery facility saved my life. I found a spiritual experience through guidance, the 12 step program of AA and the incredible staff that breeds a spiritual Coulter. Since commencing the long term program I have relocated myself to greenwood so I can grow with the inspiring sober community at the Oaks and share experience strength and hope with residents and guys in recovery.

Kandy

I went to the Oaks Recovery Center, December 2016. I was so broken and lost all hope in life. I wanted to get clean but I didn't no how, that's​ what they told me, that I didn't have to live like that no more,and they love me till I could love myself. I'm so grateful for this place. I will be Clean a year this Dec 15, I have hope today, I was blind but now I see, I was lost but now I found my purpose in life,being a mother daughter 😀 Thanks Oaks Recovery Center!!!

Jeree

I came to the Oaks March 1st, 2016. When i arrived i was lost, hopeless, broken, and many more things. I was homeless, no job, no friends, lost custody of daughter. I felt absolutely dead inside. Through the 12 steps, my sponsor, the Oaks, my family and friends; my life has been completely restored. Almost 22 mths later i feel alive inside, I have purpose today, dreams, goals. I never thought that my life could be this great without drugs or alcohol. The oaks taught me how to live life on lifes terms. This place saved my life and my family's. I'm now a mother, daughter, friend, girlfriend, employable, trust worthy, grateful, and so much more!!! I walk around today with my head held high. I thank God everyday to see another sober. I am HAPPY, JOYOUS, & FREE!!!

LG

My family member never had success at recovery until he went to Salvation Oaks. There is something unique about this place and these people. It is a brotherhood.

KR

Grateful for Oaks Recovery and all the work they do!

R L

I have to rank Oaks at 4 stars. Nothing in this life is ever just right. If so we would never have an opportunity to grow closer to our full potential. That's the case with anything related to people. We always have room to grow and I thank the God of my understanding for that today. Oaks is well on its way to something more beautiful and amazing than it already is. Broken and full of hopelessness I entered into the long term program here. I was welcomed with a since of true passion from people who knew exactly where I was in life at that time. They were eager to help me loose the old me and be reborn into the new me and into a newfound freedom. As an addict im able to pick just about anything apart. That is my old behavior. I never needed for anything here but a solution to my addiction. I obtained that solution at Oaks. A new and wonderful way to live. If I would have came in negative and picked Oaks apart instead of getting with the program I probably wouldn't be here today to review this center. This program works if you want recovery. Its there. I could attend the most prominent center in the world and if I didn't genuinely want recovery then I wouldn't receive it. Its that simple. Im doing very well today and actually work for another facility. The facility that I work for is an intensive 28 day but in most cases when I have a client wanting long term I choose Oaks. Recovery is here and I must always remember if im picking things apart or corrupting anything in this life the problem normally lies within myself. I recommend anyone seeking long term treatment to give Oaks a shot. It worked for me and that's very abnormal for the man I was in active addiction for 16 yrs. If it worked for me im sure it will for you! God bless Oaks and all who come in contact with them. Much love!

GG

I am eternally grateful to Oaks Recovery for saving my son's life. He had been in and out of numerous treatment centers ranging from high end country clubs in Florida to county run treatment centers on Long Island and each time he was released back into his old environment only to pick up again. My wife and I were referred to Oaks Recovery through a friend and were fortunate enough to send him there. He now has over 2 years clean time and has grown to be a responsible, sincere, focused and compassionate person who is totally committed to helping others that find themselves in similar situations and are at the end of their rope. For those who are really intent on turning their lives around, Oaks Recovery really works!

LG

I truly believe my son would be dead right now had he not found The Oaks! He dedicated himself to "working the program" fully, and it has changed not only his life but the life of our entire family! My son is within a week of his One Year clean mark, and I could not be more proud of the work he put in, and happier with the support system he has built through The Oaks! Highly recommend this place, but remember YOU must be ready to receive healing and WANT it!!! You will find healing here if you are ready to receive it and "work the steps"!!

John

It's all about the money. They take 800 a month to feed you bad food and not run meeting. Give what was so freely given to them is a lie. They kick people who do the right thing for bed space so they can get that next check. Kitchen is nasty.

Thank you for your feedback. At Oaks Recovery Center, we strive to provide the most effective recovery services at an accessible price. Our program services include an average of 6 meetings and workshops per day. In addition, we also provide a vocational rehabilitation program through which 97% of our long-term residents have secured employment. We also provide lodging and 3 balanced meals per day. Our menu has recently been completely revamped based on resident feedback, and we have further improvements planned for our kitchen facilities in 2018. We always evaluate each individual’s situation on a case-by-case basis, and do not take the decision to ask a resident to leave lightly. Delinquency on rent is sometimes factor for dismissal from our program but never the sole cause. Oaks Recovery is a fully self-supporting non-profit organization that does not receive government funding or grants. The price of admission and rent finances all of our operating costs, and any left over resources are reinvested to update and improve our facilities.

Cs

This place is disgusting and the owners are out for one thing and thats your money. I wouldn't send my dog there. 71 guys 3 bathrooms disgusting. I lived in one of there houses with 22 guts and one bathroom. Do not send your kids there

Oaks Recovery Center currently has 8 full bathrooms and a maximum capacity of 71 men. Currently, we are working on plans to add another 2 full bathrooms in our front house and 2 additional showers in the main building. We are constantly looking to improve our facilities to create the best environment for our residents to build a solid foundation of recovery.

Shanon

The oaks saved my life and my boyfriends life also. They showed us how to live again. I have been to many treatment facilities and this is the only one that got to the root of my problem. The staff are all recovering addicts and can relate to the difficulties in qutting drugs and alcohol. I spent six months in the facility and have made true friends for the first time in my life. I would recommend the Oaks to anyone who wants to find a better way to live and who wants to experience freedom. Anyone living with the chains of addiction should give yourself a chance and allow the Oaks to guide you to a solution. I will never forget what this place did for me. Give yourself a real chance. It is unlike any experience I have ever been through. Thank you.

JMK

I'll start by saying the Oaks Recovery Center saved my son's life. Our family was introduced to addiction about 10 years ago. My wife and I were clueless. We had no idea how to deal with this terrible disease, but through trial and error we quickly learned what worked and what didn't for our son. He has been to facilities in Florida, Georgia and Alabama and was never able to "connect". Some were fancy, expensive facilities and some were hospital type facilities with locked doors. The Oaks offers an open environment. No locked doors. He connected and built relationships that helped him grow as a person. They are very involved in the community and they helped him find a job and provided the transportation. It helped him build self confidence and a sense of worth. The 12 step program that they offer and the fellowships that were made have continued to help him in his recovery. The initial entry cost is very affordable compared to the other facilities he went to. I've read some of the other reviews and I agree it's not the Hilton, but it's a clean sober environment and better than some of the rat holes he was affiliated with in the past. The facility continues improve and grow. My wife and I have visited the Oaks many times since my sons commencement, which has been almost 18 months, for different events like Thanksgiving, family meals and New Years fireworks and have met a lot addicts. We have always been welcomed and have built relationships with some of the residents. They are not bad people but sick people that need help. This disease does not discriminate. It touches all walks and no one's immune. We've known some that have walked away and some that have died but I believe that the majority are there because they want to live. They want to end the vicious cycle they're in and I will continue to help where I can to fight this horrible disease.

Fred

Do yourself and your family a favor and find another place. The FOUNDERS of the Oaks seem to only want the money.

Our priority at Oaks Recovery Center is to provide real recovery at a price that is accessible to anyone in need. We are a fully self-supporting non-profit organization that does not receive any government funding or grants. Admissions fees and rent are used to cover our operating costs, while any left over resources are reinvested to update and improve our facilities.

CS

12 Step program that works - improve the food if possible

Thank you for your review; we are happy to hear that you found our program effective! Based on feedback like yours, we have overhauled our menu to have hot lunches every day and tasty new dinners like tacos with refried beans and rice.

BCL

Salvation Oaks Recovery Center has been a true blessing to our family and loved one. The entry cost was very affordable compared to other facilities were we paid thousands of dollars but they failed to deliver what was needed for our loved one to remain in recovery. At SORC the staff has been helpful, accommodating and polite to family both on the phone answering inquiries and in coordinating visits. Our first visit we were invited and encourage to attend a commencement exercise for several residents preparing to transition to the next step in their recovery. The stories we heard of recovery from the depths of despair and hopelessness as well as the comradery in the room where emotional and uplifting. We were invited to attend a bonfire event at the main property where past written regrets were burned in the fire and left behind. The event was well organized and the large main property was neat, tidy and the strong bond among the staff and residents obvious. Our family member has attended other treatments centers and has had other sponsors but was not able to complete the 12 step program until finding SORC. I was pleased to hear when our loved one found a job with their help and had to be to work at 6:00am someone at the facility was up at 5:00 making coffee and lunches were packed and ready for work each day. This facility nourishes a strong support network and community critical to continued recovery, and is truly saving and changing lives. I know they saved our love one’s life and we are extremely grateful. Thank you SORC for being the answer to many prayers!

JA

Great place to get sober and find God!!

PC

I bought the lie at first. I trusted the word of the founders that this place was truly different from the sleazy, corrupt places that I have been in the past. Spoiler alert: it isn\'t. Some of the staff I already knew from my stint at another maligned facility in SC. I gave them the benefit of the doubt that they really did start SORC to have a fresh start without the problems of the earlier facility. In addition to making residents eat on a severely limited budget ...Standing sewage that they had no plans of doing anything about. The co-founder, on the rare occasions he would actually appear on site, would show up drenched in sweat... I could go on and on but this place runs on three things: greed, hypocrisy, and dishonesty. Avoid at all costs.

Anna

Nice job, fellas! I would\'ve liked a longer visit but I suppose that wasn\'t in the cards! Don\'t hail the ice cream truck or use mascara in a manner other than its intended one! I love you all, and miss you! Thank you all! One guy in particular, maybe I am thankful for you, and just didn\'t know it.

GFY

There is no structure. Some who teach teach what they want and not truth from the big book. The owner is constantly getting goose bump and fakes cry in fron of all the men. Like we are dumb. The food is great becuz of our cook but never seams to be enuf. We had to buy a can of soda for $1 &general drinks for 3.50. Say it not about the $ but make us buy things back at %100 profit. No staff go to meetings. They preach service but do none.

John

My family has spent countless time and money, trying to help me find recovery, at some of the biggest names in the treatment industry. The truth of the matter is I finally became willing to do whatever was asked of me. Salvation Oaks has taught me how to be a responsible man. I learned how to incorporate recovery, family, and working all in one. I could never stay sober outside of treatment. Today I have the love and respect back of my family. I can be a father to my children and actually be a productive member of society.

NLA

A close member of my family went here, and this is exactly what it is called...a \"community\". Going in at first during a 2 week blackout period is intensive for them, but during that time they get to build relationships during that time. The program worked has helped my loved one obtain sobriety for over a year now, and I know it\'s going to be more thanks to the relationships made and maintained at salvation oaks recovery community. There is also good interaction with family members. The staff makes themselves readily available to families no matter what always willing to give updates. They also host events in which we are able to visit family members for holidays and such. The location and amenities are made with \"community\" at the center. I love the fellowship that I saw upon every visit. There\'s even amenities in place for people who have commenced from the program but still want that connection to the fellowship. All in all, it\'s a five star location to send yourself or loved one if you feel powerless over drugs and alcohol.

J

do not go here . you are better off going to NA meetings or AA meetings on your own and purchasing a NA or AA text to study yourself . this is a very shady operation... its basically run by the addicts who stay there not to mention the living quarters is terrible .they also claim to be a non profit organization but they charge their clients 800$ per month to stay there and i wonder where all that money goes . I stayed there for one night and left and they would not give me a refund of 750$ i paid them in advance for the month . these people are crooks . DO NOT GO HERE !

Matthew

Was there July/August 2015 in the men\'s facility, This was located at 711 E Scotch Cross Road. The place was nice, but staff failed to maintain the place like replacing burned out light bulbs, fixing commodes, and keeping basic supplies in stock. The facility does not have the capacity to house 50 people like they wanted. They had 4 men to a 11\' by 13\' room. Two bunk beds per room. Should have only around 30 residents at any given time. The kitchen does not have enough space and refrigeration to keep food safe and sanitary. The laundry machines should have been replaced with better ones that could handle the amount of use that was needed. The food was average for this kind of place. Expect lots of bowls of cereal for breakfast and for lunch, peanut butter & grape jelly sandwiches or ham and cheese. Red Kool Aid at almost every meal, and seldom ice tea. There were very few fresh fruits and vegetables, they were always canned. The lessons were usually pretty good when sticking to the 12 steps in the AA \"Big Book,\" but there was too much time being wasted on lectures about cell phones, cigarette butts, and house keeping. Too many meetings trying to push the Christian Agenda. Jesus and Paul are/were not good role models for the alcoholic/addict. They will sometimes crowd up to 11 men into a van designed for 7 people to go to social events and job searches. On the job searches, they dump you out at shopping centers so you can apply at stores and restaurants. Most places want you to apply online instead. Salvation Oaks staff will not let you apply at the library or employment office because \"too many guys looking on Face Book.\" instead of looking for jobs. This cuts out any manufacturing jobs, and Greenwood has a lot of industry. The standard answer to complaints about the facility was \"this is not the Hilton,\" and if there were other complaints, \"put it in God\'s hands.\" Do not bring any valuables and bring plenty of washcloths, towels, and toiletries. You will be living with convicted felons and the store on site only sells junk food and tobacco products. Out patient treatment would be much better than living with some of those slobs living in there. Good luck if you decide to stay at Salvation Oaks.

Brittany

I did the 28 day program but stayed 46 days. I am extremely happy with my new life I got back thanks to the love and caring and knowledge of the staff. The relationships I built with everyone at Salvation Oaks are life changing and I know I have friends forever! I love my new sober life and with the tools they gave me I know I can do this! I would recommend Salvation Oaks to anyone struggling!

TA

Salvation Oaks is the first place that I have ever been that made me feel like I was worth something. The staff lifted me up and actually gave me a solution. They taught me the tools to live sober. Going through the 12 steps was such a profound experience that now I carry this message of hope wherever I go. Salvation Oaks Recovery Community saved my life!

CM

Salvation Oaks Recovery teaches the truth about addiction. It has helped save my life, it is unlike any other center that I have been to

KB

Awful treatment.

AD

They teach the solution here but one has to be willing to put up with a lot of unfairness. A lot of it comes from internal politics. Money is misspent, food and lodgings are deplorable. There are, however, certain bright spots. Both the former and current Directors of Teaching and Curriculum are amazing men, the only ones holding this ramshackle operation together. Get what you need, then get out before you get sicker as a result of the way the higher ups run things at this place.