Origins Recovery Centers

4405 Padre Blvd., South Padre Island, Texas, 78597

4.4

About the Facility

Our treatment model integrates the latest in advanced medical and clinical sciences with an immersion in the timeless 12-Steps. This targeted approach unites unmatched medical expertise with multidisciplinary, compassionate clinical care. Origins comprehensively address the individual medical, spiritual and psychological needs of each patient with a full-time staff of dedicated professionals. Recognizing that addiction affects gender groups differently, Origins’ has created a program in which men are able to discuss the needs unique to their gender group with minimal distractions. Our gender-separate facility offers a lush and tranquil environment in which male residents are able to experience the vital process of recovery.

Superior Onsite Medical Care

Superior on-site medical services contribute to Origins’ renowned reputation as a leader in drug and alcohol addiction treatment. From medical detoxification that is safe and comfortable to the treatment of concurrent medical conditions, the addiction specialists at Origins are committed to guiding you, your loved one, or your patient on the path to wellness. We match innovative and evidence-based addiction treatment practices with medical care that is headed by doctors who understand addiction. Our multidisciplinary team includes skilled nurses, psychiatrists, and medical doctors.

Advanced Psychological Services and PNP

Origins' team provides cognitive restructuring based on leading edge research on the brain’s capacity to restructure and renew itself. Headed by renowned psychologist, the PNP Center’s multidisciplinary team of professionals collaborates to find solutions to the variety of challenges in a person’s neurological and psychological development. Psychological services programs include rigorous psychological testing and evidence-based therapies such as biofeedback, neurotherapy, and sleep protocols.

• Engaging family program
  • Ongoing continuing care and aftercare support
  • Long-term treatment experience

Reviewed by Our Contributors

ABOUT ORIGINS RECOVERY CENTERS

Located at the southernmost tip of Texas on the Mexico border, South Padre Island is home to Origins Recovery Centers. Origins’ self-proclaimed “resort-grade” campus offers gender-specific residential treatment for clients dealing with substance abuse, co-occurring mental health disorders, and process addictions (e.g. eating disorders and gambling addictions).

Detox is available on-site--one of only eight percent of Texas facilities to provide such services. Other services, including outpatient treatment and transitional living, are available through Origins’ additional centers across Florida.

Individuals who require medical attention for withdrawal symptoms may undergo detox as part of the center’s 10-day assessment period. Once stabilized, clients begin residential treatment, which typically lasts between 30 and 90 days. Programming is guided by 12-step principles in addition to a variety of other modalities, including pharmacological therapy, cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), psychodrama, interpersonal therapy, art therapy, and experiential therapy, including ropes courses and animal-assisted experiences.

Clients can expect a mix of individual counseling, group counseling, and educational workshops that cover everything from addiction education to life skills development and personal finance.

According to the facility’s website, the staff includes full-time psychiatrists and psychologists with specialties in substance abuse treatment and co-occurring disorders.

The facility is surrounded by white sand beaches and bay views. The men’s residence, which can accommodate 40 clients, is a former luxury resort that boasts “Southwest villa-style architecture and spacious rooms that surround a tropical courtyard and wading pool,”as well as a fitness room and meditation areas. Hannah’s House, the women’s facility, appears to be less plush, but still offers residents seaside-themed décor with wrap-around porches and waterside outside dining.

Clients share double bedrooms and eat meals prepared by a professional chef. Guests are allowed phone calls and family visitation during specified times.

The 11 alumni surveyed by Rehabs.com gave positive reviews about their experience at Origins Recovery Centers. When asked, on a scale from one to five, if they’d recommend the facility, alumni provided an average rating of 4.5 out of five stars.

Across 15 evaluated aspects of the facility, the program’s family participation received the highest average rating of nearly five out of five stars. In addition, alumni praised of the staff’s level of training and experience and the facility’s counseling options.

Its only real weakness, according to alumni, was its cost.

To date, seven loved ones who submitted reviews to Rehabs.com provided above average ratings across all evaluated aspects of the facility. When asked, on a scale from one to five, if they’d recommend the facility, loves ones provided an average rating of 4.67 out of five stars.

They agreed the facility offered high levels of **family participation. In addition, family members have high marks for amenities, including and the center’s exercise and leisure options, holistic offerings. They also valued the staff and its level of training.

The center’s affordability is its low point however, and many loved ones characterized treatment as “pricey” or “expensive.”

At the time of this writing, staff members provided mostly positive feedback about the facility, with most employees saying that they would recommend it to others.

Staff members gave the facility an average rating of four out of five stars in nearly every category, including the center’s counseling options, connectivity and visitor policies, and the staff’s level of training and experience.

Origins accepts insurance and provides pre-certification services. One month of treatment is typically priced at $38,000.

Accreditations & Licenses
  • NAATP
  • CARF
Social Media Links
Important Notice

We list thousands of treatment providers throughout the U.S., often including alumni and staff ratings and reviews, and Rehabs.com 360 Guides that provide valuable information for people making difficult decisions. Rehabs.com is not influenced in regards to its ratings or reviews by any treatment center or its sponsors, and we clearly designate advertiser relationships with “Sponsor” or “Ad” or “Advertisement”.

4.5/5

• ME
    If you're currently at wit's end with your (or your loved one's) struggle with addiction, with trauma, with complete emptiness and brokenness, I would encourage you to allow Origins Behavioral Healthcare to be your answer to a miraculous path to healing-- to life. I'm writing this as someone who knows first-hand. Through the program at this facility, I found myself. I found that sanity, harmony, balance is not only a possibility for me, but a REALITY for me. At Origins, I learned the tools that would equip me to no longer be enslaved by addiction or circumstance, and I learned how to be the person that my soul and my purpose calls me to be; Yes. It IS possible! There CAN be restoration, healing, and JOY that happens within yourself and in your relationships with family, friends, co-workers, and even strangers... Origins has shown me this, and because of it, I am overjoyed and honored to say that this healing is the reality of my life and the life of my loved ones today. There IS hope, and my journey at Origins was the start to letting hope flow through me and the lives of those around me.
  • Rick m
    I was at rick bottom when i found origins. They took me in and detoxed me until i could function again. After that they taught me so much about my disease and gave me so much care. From the cooks to the nurses to the counselors and RAs they are all top notch. They gave me my life back. If you are suffering please get there if you can. They are the gold standard!
  • WP
    Their staff are good but be very careful! They take money without regard for your implied agreement. They’re money hungry! DONT GO THERE!!!
    This place is a total scam. Claims to be a Dual Diagnosis Treatment Facility, but they are only licensed in Alcohol treatment. Drives a wedge between patient and family. Doesn't care about patient as long as they get their money. Communications is horrendous and level of care is not what it claims to be. Some patients see a counselor once every other week. I would not recommend this to anyone who would like to keep some kind of relationship with loved ones.
  • Andrew
    If you are looking for a recovery experience like none other, you have to give ORC a try. I have (unfortunately) been to MANY other treatment centers and left just as sick- or sicker- than when I arrived. Most of the other treatment models out there are designed for you to FAIL and RETURN. Origins is a first class program and one of a kind in the industry. Their staff are in recovery and dedicated to helping facilitate change in the client. I had an unbelievable experience at Origins and I owe them my life. I cannot say enough about their staff and the work they do. I realize that I sound like a paid spokesperson (lol), but I assure you I am not. I am the real deal who got FREE at Origins. If they can help me do it, I promise you they can help you do it (IF you are ready to change).
  • Michael
    I truly could not recommend Origins Recovery Center more. It absolutely saved, gave me, my life. The staff was/is 100 percent commited to the clients recovery and wellbeing. It is a spiritual program, NOT a religious one. The spirituality aspect may sound off putting to some initially, either before or initially while there, but almost always even the most jaded, atheistic, agnostic clients found the strength they needed by listening to the staff, and simply working the program (this includes me). I won’t name names, but there are staff members there who I plan to have life long contact with. The staff are recovered addicts, with co diagnosis usually. They understand and relate in ways other place can’t, don’t or won’t. I know from others who have been to many treatments, that Origins approach is unlike any other and absolutely Top notch. There is structure in place. A lot. And initially clients, like myself, hated some of it. Couldn’t understand the reasons much less the benefit. But I found each rule or SOP or class or guideline helped me overcome some aspect of my issues. If you or a loved one want to overcome your issues, learn tools to live, get to how/why you might have certain issues or why your an addict. 100 percent amazing family.
  • Tom
    Money hungry, all they care about is gouging the insurance companies and you for every penny they care get. Patient care is secondary.
  • g creson
    Any treatment success depends on timing. For my loved one, it was the right message, delivered at the right time. This program is well thought out and delivered by people who truly understand addiction. The patients are cared for and their well being is paramount.
  • anonymous
    strengths:PNP, 12 step lectures and groups, recreational weakness:Small work out facilities I loved treatment at Origins it provided me a thorough experience with the 12 steps PNP and recovery in general. Couldn't be happier.
  • KK
    After years of begging him to get help, I gave my alcoholic husband of 20 years an ultimatum, either he go for help at Origins, where I had prearranged everything for him to go, or I was leaving with our 3 children, and filing for divorce. He agreed to go! He has been sober for a year and a half. Sometimes I still can\'t believe it\'s real. Origins is rather pricy, it ended up costing much more than I was originally quoted. Thankfully, my mother-in-law was able to pay the difference, and I know she would agree it was so worth it. I have no doubt that Origins saved my husbands life, and gave my children their father, and you can\'t put a price on that. The family program was amazing, and so vital in putting our family back together. I recommend Origins to everyone with a loved one struggling with addiction.
  • Mary
    I can tell a difference in my loved one, but they don\'t emphasis copying mechanisms there besides for meditation. So, I\'m worried about their ability to handle it later on. They push their second program without giving you a lot of information about it. My loved one didn\'t even know who was picking them up at the airport. The consuler that they had was the most qualify with her credinicals. However, she had bad time management skills. She didn\'t know the proper techniques to manage speaking to both myself (partner) and his family. Both had medical consent forms. Often times she would speak to the mother for 2 hours at a time several times a week, and would put me off. This caused a lot of family conflict for my loved one. I have three unanswered emails from her, and another one from a different counselor. Both times I had to reach back out for them to speak to me. I wouldn\'t recommend this treatment at Orginis if you\'re wanting coping skills for your loved one in the real world, or your wanting to have accountability with your counselors.
  • TS
    Personal attention from a caring and well experienced staff. Origins give more information about and solutions to the disease of addiction than any place I know.
  • T C
    Great staff, location and facility.
    Adventure therapy was good but expensive. Adventure therapy is very helpful
    The counseling program is top notch. If you want to have a lifelong change in your life, this is the place to go. Top rated treatment center with the best counseling you will ever receive.
    I liked the that I would get daily updates through email and at least one phone call a week to see my fathers treatment, It was a little too expensive but it worked. My father was struggling with depression and alcohol abuse for a year and he finally agreed to get some help and I'm glad we went with Origins
    I learned a lot about the disease and my loved one seems to be recovering well
  • Brent
    It is a truly amazing place where the staff cares for each client, and clients are given the opportunity to connect with their Higher Power, and to heal and recover from addiction.
  • Bianca
    Strengths: Teamwork Compassion Honesty Considerate Educated Leadership Open minded Trustworthy
    location by the beach was good but treatment options need to be improved, lack of clients one to one counseling opportunities, no breakfast options
  • E L
    committed staff, flat pillows and some mattresses uncomfortable. Many of the clients report that this facility is an improvement over past rehab centers.
  • A A
    12-step based, PsychoNeuroPlasticity (PNP) center, holistic approach to treatment
  • A E
    Holistic care with the psychoneuroplasticity center, medical care- nurse practitioner on campus daily for all medical needs. Primary counselor experience and confidence in treating duel diagnosis patients. PC's lean heavily on psychiatry and medical department for issues that may be better suited to a therapy/counseling solutions. Patients have a difficult time seeing the psychiatrists- no psychiatrist on campus. Recovery Advocates could be better equipped to handle crisis situations.
  • Tyson
    12 Steps, Small and location not the best but great team and has ability to save your life
  • S V
    Origins addresses the underlying conditions which cause individuals to want to change the way they feel. They do not offer a band-aid approach; they offer a solution. The campus is adequate but somewhat small. Origins saved my life. I have been sober for four years, and that would not have been possible if not for the services and support offered.
  • B S
    Staff dedication, strong medical and psychiatric component, location, psychoneuroplasticity. Cohesive treatment team
  • G N G
    Best presentation of the 12 step model and neuroplasticity treatment. Detox unit could be more comfortable. The staff is amazing and the commitment to the client is unmatched
  • S S
    12-step based and focus on Spirituality. Strong therapy/counseling options based on clients needs and past. Only 2 locations. Staff with strong experience and education in the field; a lot who are in Recovery as well.
  • D F
    Excellent medical care, licensed therapists, 12 Step Program, the food, the weight room with a personal trainer which includes yoga, and the amazing staff. The entire staff truly cares about each and every person there. Origins helps save lives and I've seen it first hand.
  • Amanda
    12 step program and amenities were strengths but expenses was a weakness. Beautiful setting to experience a spiritual awaking.
  • Orlando
    12 step philosophy and love and compassion towards its clientele but has gone through some difficult changes in the last year and staff is not trusting administrative staff.
  • K M
    12- Step based program
  • A C
    Staff is great , food is amazing but not enough beach time. It provides the help you need
  • M C
    The PNP center and warm family feeling was good
  • A H
    12 step program. PNP. Location. Outings. were all strengths. It would be good to do more fun stuff for the clients. More yoga. More relaxing things for them, because that is what they expect coming into this place. I work here and have seen so many people recover and do amazing things. It is definitely a spiritual place, and people get the tools they need here with an adequate representation of the program, and a connection with a power greater than themselves.
  • justice
    Origins may be a good treatment center, they do not treat employees well. This is not a fraudulent post. Human Resource personnel are a joke and do many bad things in the way they handle employees. Of course this post will be removed, since the truth hurts...and they don\'t seem to be about the truth anyway. The worst part is they say they want to help recovered addicts, but then mess with their lives in the way they treat them
  • R.R
    IT\'S TRUE ONCE YOU\'VE PAID AND YOUR GONE THEY COULD CARE LESS WHAT HAPPENS TO YOUR LOVED ONE. ..incredibly sad...
  • GM
    The AA 12 step program is not an effective solution for 90% to 95% of people with a substance abuse problem. Origins would not entertain the idea that I was just a problem drinker and not an alcoholic. After a 42 day stay, I was able to return home, do more research on my own and able to successfully moderate my drinking at healthy levels. I see a psychologist (not on the recommended list) that helps me deal with the multitude of issues that led me to abusing alcohol in the first place. She deals with substance abuse too and does not consider me an alcoholic. Origins would have never been open to such an idea. That said, my case manager, some of the RAs, the nurses and PAs and other staff were very helpful and nice. They were just doing their job. I just hope the guys that were truly addicts and alcoholics got further help after they left and didn’t cling fully to the 12 step program or they are bound to “relapse”. The accommodations, while a little dated were sufficient. Could use a fresh coat of paint and things like that, but definably not a dump. The food was amazing, nothing bad can be said about that. Again, if more rehabs would focus on other avenues besides just the 12 steps, there would be a lot higher success rate that the 5% to 8% that occurs under the AA model. While they did incorporate some psychiatric elements into their treatment, it was minimal to say the least. Hopefully Origins fully transitions into one of those rehabs.
  • MLC
    If you apply what they teach, YOU WILL GET BETTER!! The staff showed compassion for each resident. If it was about the money these people wouldn\'t open their doors to people who have nothing. They loved me until I loved me!! I love this place!! And, I love the people who showed me a way of living!!!
  • JG
    Saved my life! Amazing staff, creating a living environment between the clients. Strong spiritual 12th step approach tonight me how to live a new life. Sobriety just scratched the surface. Thank you God!
  • NS
    Awful. A total scam. Their program is a bunch of new-age psychobabble with a Christian spin. Most of their \"classes\" are just games where you do pictionary or play with play-doh. Their counselors don\'t know anything about addiction, and their \"RAs\" don\'t know anything about psychology. Their staff psychiatrist is a nervous, mal-adjusted weirdo. The facilities are shoddy and worn down. Most of the clients and staff are around 20 years old, so the whole thing is a lord of the flies type of environment. They will soak you for every penny, and drive a wedge between you and your family to get their hands on that money. When it comes to treatment, they are lazy and indifferent. When it comes to getting their money, they are absolute bloodhounds.
  • Cyn
    they saved my life. they cover just about everything to continue living sober outside of the treatment center.
  • Beth
    This facility treats the whole person not just addiction everything about this facility is at a top level and was also able to treat co-occurring mental health issues. This was the eighth treatment center my loved one attended and the only treatment center that kept him for the full 90 days and then made arrangements for sober living and after care. This facility restored my loved one to health. The only problem with this facility is cost, Because i had good health insurance my loved was was able to go there. If a person was self paying many could not afford it. So greatful that my loved one was able to be admitted to Origins. They saved his life and he is 3 years sober off heroin and living a happy ,healthy life.
  • GM
    My son is a changed man. He went to Origins for a short 30 days. The first week he wasn\'t feeling it but shortly after that he applied himself and it really sank in. He is such a pleasure to talk to now and to be around. He has taken god to heart and is doing so well. He is now in a sober living home and helping conduct meeting and such. Thank you to everyone at Origins. I truly feel my son has been blessed and would recommend to all this place.
  • BA
    I enjoyed their 12-step based program because it was very well structured. I also enjoyed that it was not co-ed; they have separate facilities for men and women. I don't have any complaints about the facility, maybe the cost of the treatment. Pretty expensive. It is one of the best facilities in the country. I have been to quite a few and this was the best, most well structured faculty I have ever been to.
  • KRB
    I was given the choice to go back home or go to a rehab. I had no idea where I was going til I landed in Brownsville, Tx and driven to the Admin office at Origins....Spending my 41-st Birthday unexpectedly absolutely sucked. However, listening to their advice I took it and ran with it. I attended the 90-in house intense rehab followed by 30-transitions, and 7-months of Sober living 2000+miles away from home. 11-months into sobriety I moved back home and today I am 3+years sober. My sobriety date is 01/15/2012..
  • Andrew
    This program not only helps the client, but it helps the family and offers a solution to addiction. After care consisted of transitional living for 30 days, and sober living for 30 days. I've been to over 20 treatment centers, this is by far the best.
  • Susan
    Great 12 step facility. Beautiful area.
  • Jane
    Our son could call us once a week. The only time we visited him was during family days and it was extensive therapy for the family as well. My son is radically changed and it has a lot to do with his new acquired faith in God. I would recommend this place! I have a friend whose son went there after my son and he has been sober for 9 months now.
  • anonymous
    They offer family weekends. Our son has stopped stealing from family members. This place really helped him out.
  • anonymous
    Had to pay what insurance didn't
  • anonymous
    They care. It really seemed to me that a program was tailored for my child's needs. They talked to me and kept me up to date and were very clear about what was going on. They reached my child by using methods that mattered to my child. It was pricey but they worked with us as their goal was recovery and help for my child.
  • anonymous
    They don't care after your gone. It's all about if you can pay.
  • anonymous
    Very good spiritual approach, staff who really care, nice amenities. very 12 step and spiritually oriented. Best treatment I've been to (out of 6). They also connected me with a sober house where I found sobriety after a relapse. There was no incentive for them to do so. Great facility.