Palmetto Addiction Recovery Center

86 Palmetto Road, Rayville, Louisiana, 71269

3.6

About Palmetto Addiction Recovery Center

Palmetto Addiction Recovery Center has been helping people recover from addiction for more than 20 years. Our team of caring professionals share over 250 years of experience in breaking the cycle of this devastating, chronic disease. We believe recovery must occur in three areas: physical, emotional and spiritual. Our program is designed to address all three of these key areas from day one. Our facilities and staff provide an environment that encourages a return to basic living skills, development of non-addictive coping skills, recognition of character defects, development of a non self-centered way of living, and a spiritual approach to life.

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)

The focus of cognitive behavioral therapy (also called CBT) is helping people to understand the thoughts and emotions that underlie their addiction with the goal of learning new, healthier and more productive ways to understand and express themselves.

Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR)

EMDR is a highly specific, research-validated form of therapy that can help people overcome traumatic stress, anxiety and depression. With EMDR, a trained practitioner uses bilateral stimulation, eye movement and touch to stimulate parts of the brain as a patient recounts certain experiences and memories as a way to more thoroughly process uncomfortable, painful feelings.

• Thorough evaluations and individual treatment plans
  • Bringing hope and lasting recovery to individuals and families since 1993
  • Palmetto offers a full continuum of care with treatment that is both effective and cost efficient
Jay Weiss, MD, ASAM, Psychiatrist

Jay Weiss, MD, ASAM, Psychiatrist

Medical Director

Jay Weiss, MD, is a graduate of University of Arkansas College of Medicine. He completed his residency in Psychiatry while serving in the United States Air Force for a total of 30 years. Dr. Weiss is ASAM certified (2005) and is board certified in Geriatrics (1994), Addictions/Substance Abuse (1995), and Psychiatry (1991). He is a member of both the AMA and APA associations. His speaking engagements include the FAA conference on Aviation Psychiatry, USAF on Combat Psychiatry and Celestial Navigation. Dr. Weiss believes that staff interaction on both a professional and personal level makes Palmetto an exceptional place for treatment. He gives lectures throughout the country. He is affiliated with the FAA. He has been at Palmetto 15 years.

Show Bio
Phillip Ables, M.ED., LPC

Phillip Ables, M.ED., LPC

Program Director

Phillip is a graduate of the University of Louisiana at Monroe (ULM) with a Bachelor’s in Psychology and a Master’s in Professional Counseling. A Licensed Professional Counselor (#253) for over 22 years, he has worked with individuals, couples and families; patients suffering chronic illness, and individuals with developmental disabilities. Phillip’s counseling is based on cognitive-behavioral therapy. “I will listen to what you say, but I will believe what you do.” No addict will every get better without taking that first step, and asking for help.

Show Bio

Reviewed by Our Contributors

ABOUT PALMETTO ADDICTION RECOVERY CENTER

Established in 1993, Palmetto Addiction Recovery Center (PARC), set on 70 rural acres in the northeastern corner of Louisiana, offers residential and intensive outpatient treatment, including medically-monitored detox to adult men and women struggling with substance abuse. The facility also welcomes clients with co-occurring mental health disorders and provides a specialized recovery care tracks for professionals and a separate three-day evaluation to assess the presence and extent of problematic alcohol or drug use for participants.

Within the state, PARC is among 9.6 percent of substance abuse treatment facilities that offer residential, non-hospital detox, 29.4 percent that provide residential, non-hospital care, and among 47.1 percent with tailored programs for clients with co-occurring disorders.

For clients who need to withdraw from substance use, PARC offers an onsite detox program. Overseen by licensed on-staff medical professionals who are available 24/7, the course of treatment typically lasts three to 10 days. Upon completion of the program, clients may step down to other PARC offerings.

The process in the residential treatment track starts with a clinical evaluation that considers the client’s behavior, assumption of responsibility, and emotional and spiritual development. Most clients typically take 90 days to complete the residential program. Treatment follows a therapeutic community model, with clients expected to work together in regular groups to problem solve in a drug-free setting.

Residents also participate in individual counseling, family therapy, daily 12-step meetings, and addiction education classes. Medication management is also provided, as needed. The organization also offers an intensive outpatient program (IOP), to which many clients transition following their residential stay. Within the state, PARC is among 50.7 percent of substance abuse facilities with an IOP.

PARC’s specialized treatment track for professionals focuses on the needs of this specific population, which includes medical workers, attorneys, judges, social workers, and licensed professional counselors. Topics span work addiction, caregiving, caretaking, ethics, career adjustment issues, and self-image.

A family program is offered for loved ones and involves counseling, education, and a two-day workshop. There also is a relapse track for adults who have trouble maintaining recovery, which involves extensive work identifying and exploring triggers.

Within the state, PARC is among 49.3 percent of substance abuse treatment facilities accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF). Boasting a staff-to-client ratio of 1:2, the treatment team includes a medical director, psychiatrist and two attending physicians, along with registered nurses, psychologists, licensed clinical social workers, licensed professional counselors, spiritual counselors, and Ph.D. and master’s level counselors.

To date, the five individuals polled by Rehabs.com on the matter gave high ratings for the aptitude of staff.

Staff Experience and Training: 4.2/5

Set on a large stretch of land on Bayou Lafourche, PARC’s 100-bed facility is almost completely surrounded by water. Clients stay in gender-separate, eight-bed cabins on the scenic, remote campus. Each living structure has a kitchen, a living room, and double-occupancy bedrooms. The campus also has a state-of-the-art, fully-equipped 3,000 square foot fitness center, plus basketball and tennis courts. To date, the five individuals polled by Rehabs.com on the matter appreciated the upkeep of the facility.

Cleanliness: 4.4/5

At the time of this writing, alumni who reviewed PARC for Rehabs.com submitted conflicting impressions of the facility. The more than 40 former clients who offered their views gravitated to either end of the scale, split about evenly between positive and negative. Satisfied alumni credited the facility with helping them achieve their goals, to the extent that about half of them reported life-changing results.

In a representative review, one alum wrote: “This place changed my life. Great staff, wonderful program. I couldn't have chosen a better treatment center.” Another alum added: “This was the best experience of my life. It didn't seem to be so at first and I was extremely skeptical not to mention a little bit spoiled with a lavish lifestyle before treatment."

However, negative reviewers repeatedly used the word “horrible” to refer to the treatment they received, counselors, and living quarters. “I am still recovering from recovery,” one alum wrote. Another representative reviewer added: “The therapy methods that are used are horrible. Clients are cussed at and treated with no respect. I was told that they had to get down to the addict's level.”

Secondary sites yielded favorable coverage of PARC to date: 4.1 out of five stars based on 56 reviews on Google; and 4.7 stars based on 87 reviews on Facebook, which the organization can manage. [1] [2] Reviewers (alumni, loved ones, unidentified) on the plus pole reported life-changing results and dedicated staff, and recommend it highly, such as five-star reviewer Stacy on Google, who wrote PARC was a “very well run facility with 2 major goals among many- your sobriety and giving you the tools to live a healthy happy and spiritually connected life."

To date, loved ones polled by Rehabs.com about PARC provided mainly favorable feedback. Their responses to a series of detailed survey metrics indicated a satisfaction with the facility's programming.

Family Participation: 3.8/5
Counseling Options: 3.7/5
Holistic Offerings: 3.6/5

“My fried had nothing but postive things to say about this place. She loved the atmosphere and did so well,” a loved one wrote.

According to its website, “Palmetto works with several major insurance companies to ensure that our programs, including medically managed detox, are not cost-prohibitive.” To date, the five individuals polled on the matter by Rehabs.com offered mixed opinions concerning the facility's cost.

Affordability: 3.2/5

[2] https://www.facebook.com/pg/PalmettoCenter/reviews/?ref=page_internal

Accreditations & Licenses
  • ADP
Social Media Links
Important Notice

We list thousands of treatment providers throughout the U.S., often including alumni and staff ratings and reviews, and Rehabs.com 360 Guides that provide valuable information for people making difficult decisions. Rehabs.com is not influenced in regards to its ratings or reviews by any treatment center or its sponsors, and we clearly designate advertiser relationships with “Sponsor” or “Ad” or “Advertisement”.

3.5/5

• LL
    I don’t recommend anyone come to this place if they have any respect for themselves. Perhaps that is what they are counting on. The counselors are dishonest and everyone is guilty until proven otherwise. If you truly have a choice, shop around. They will lie and believe their own lies, therefore proving that you need to stay longer than you actually need to. They threaten you and force you to willingly submit yourself to their brainwashing and convince you that you’re worse than you are. The only legitimate provider there is the medical doctor “addictionologist.” Perhaps this works for some but the educated person will steer clear of these people. Unfortunately for some, they are the only ones recognized by their “board” and basically have a monopoly. There is no way they get 4 stars!! They may have been good in the past but they are absolutely not the place to go now. The meals are all made by the people who are inpatient.
  • TRD
    This place is not fit for humans. I am lucky that I survived without dying from a mental disorder. They allow the other patients (former drug users) to belittle you and treat you very badly. It was verbal and mental abuse behind my comprehension. If you care about your loved one, do not send them here. Family Day was devastating, and my Advisor was the ultilmate "mean girl".
  • CR
  • DP
    It was in 2009 I completed the program at Palmetto. By the grace of God I stayed despite the horrible treatment by administration, physicians, and clinical staff. One example is when my cabin was called to the center of the pavilion. I am hard of hearing and the size of the room made it even harder. When I would ask one of the counselors to repeat what they said to me, they lead the entire room in laughing at me. I should have been shown respect for my disability. This had nothing to do with my addiction.There was absolutely no good that came from the humiliation. The clinical and medical staff are stupid. One of my discharge plan was to return to Palmetto, sit in our counselors small group, and see t the other physician, see how much he impressed me, can not remember his name. He was extremely rude to me and wanted to know why was he seeing me. By that time I was finished with treatment and said to him,why don,t you read my discharge plan. Trust me, I would prefer not to see your face. Forty dollars a week times six in a cabin equals $ 240.00. This was to pay for everything, including toilet paper, etc. It is almost impossible to make it on this budget. We never had fruits or vegetables. The brown water was disgusting. How could you cook,drink or bathe in it without feeling dirty or enjoy your coffee or cooked food. I am still sober not thanks to Palmetto, but thanks to the Lord who gave me the strength to make through the Palmetto HelI.I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS TREATMENT CENTER AT ALL! There is much more I could say , but I know anyone reading this gets it.
  • Doug
    Absolutely archaic treatment,awful treatment by most ...what ever they were. Last thing you need when your in trouble is to be treated like this ....condescending,arrogant bullies🙏
  • yab
    A few suggestions: With the national press picking up story after story of the excessive profits being made in treatment centers, and with the medical director being made fun of by the clients while I was there, she might want to ditch the Maserati and Dolce and Gabanna handbag...really bad optics. Alcoholics, all of us, deal with members of the opposite sex daily, including in most AA meetings...a young woman got called out because a man had the temerity to thank her for baring her soul and helping his sobriety. It is ridiculous to prevent social interaction between boys and girls in your facility. Most responsible adults are taught as kids to not be tattle tails...the silly FC and C sessions are stressful and serve no useful purpose whatsoever...perhaps if you re-read the 12 steps and the Lord's prayer, you might agree.
  • E
    Please require that every conversation held with doctors and social workers be recorded. Please. I went in for a 3 day evaluation for $3000. I did not tell me at the start that if they recommended treatment that my particular insurance will not cover it so it will be completely out of pocket. Basically I wasted $3000 because I will have to have the same valuation at a facility that does take my insurance. When I received my final report after my stay they were many false things said in it that I did not say. And because of that I was diagnosed with multiple addictions. Had the conversations been recorded when meeting with the doctors that final report would not have said what it said. It’s a money maker. They want you there because they make money. Period. If I ever have another a valuation at a different facility I will demand our conversations be recorded or I will not do them
  • Blake
    I'm 32 years old and this was the best experience of my life. It didn't seem to be so at first and I was extremely skeptical not to mention a little bit spoiled with a lavish lifestyle before treatment. However, once I was honest, open-minded and willing the program got better one day after another. PARC open my eyes to things I could have never seen on my own. My counselor was known as the tough guy but believe me he cares and knows what he is doing. All of the counselors are outstanding and bring their own special strengths to the table. If you are serious about getting sober this place will change your life. I spent 90+days at PARC and saw a number of people come through with similar negative reviews as I see on this site. I can promise you they all had something in common they either thought they knew whats best, better then everyone else, to spoiled for the dorm-room style accommodations, didn't think they had a problem, or didn't want to stop using drugs. This is a a serious program for serious people that will change your life if you let it! Thank GOD for Palmetto!
  • Pamela
    I quickly learned to be self reliant. Strength: They maintained an atmosphere of pure isolation from the outside world and that helped me to look at me, I was surprised to see and hear myself through others observation of me. Weaknesses: chaos in the sleeping quarters in the evening hours.
  • JNC
    It has been six years since I spent 96 days in this place and I am still recovering from recovery. If you are having issues going into this program, which most people are, you will have many more when you leave. This place and the people there made me feel as though I was less than human and tore my self-esteem apart. I don’t call that success. To them you are an addict and a junkie who needs more treatment until your insurance quits paying, then you are just fine and see you later. All about the money. The counselors are mean and bitter about their lives and take it out on the captive audience they have. STAY AWAY!!
  • Necxatowly
    Maintain the incredible work !! Lovin' it!
  • Onxzgrasy
    Your knowledge is amazingly useful.
  • JAY
    PLEASE READ MY REVIEW EVERYONE I was a patient there and from day one was treated horribly , the staff there look down at you & treat you with little or no respect. For $3000 a week you get cook your own meals with a allotted food allowance of $70 a week . The nice cabin you see on the website & brochure is for patients on the way out . The other 6 or 7 cabins are horrible, with cheap dirty furniture and very small , maybe 1200 square feet, & keep in mind each cabin has 8 men , so nice and private. There method of treatment is from the 60s , tere you down to nothing & reshape you . Everyday they the get the entire group together and make them criticize & tell on each other and if the group doesn't start by the allotted time the councler will make selected persons do it, they called it FCCs. Fears cares, or concerns. Like I said stay away from this place if your smart . This place would be great for kids & weak minded individuals THANKS FOR READING hope it helps
  • Laura
    I thought that the treatment was unprofessional. Drs Weiss, Chris and Jennifer were very professional and courteous. There is not a chance that the success rate is as high as they say it is. I know many were using their drug of choice within an hour to a few weeks. Some clients were attending over and over again. The facility itself could really use an overhaul. I can't believe that brown water is safe to drink. It ruins anything that is washed in it. I attended over the holidays and there were 3 holiday breaks that were 4 days long. That's ridiculous because people are paying for 90 days of treatment. The therapy methods that are used are horrible. Clients are cussed at and treated with no respect. I was told that they had to get down to the addict's level. I and many others that I knew did not respond well to such treatment. I have every confidence that I will be successful but it is due to the monitoring program, not Palmetto. If for some reason I had to attend an ARC, it most definitely would not be Palmetto. Going back to mirror depresses me and makes me nauseous. I can't imagine working there.
  • RH
    This place was horrible! First when you go to eval they put you in the best cabin. The you are dumped to a substandard living cabin with brown water and 20+ years furniture. The program makes you believe you are a despicable person and that's why you ended there. They love to traumatize as much as possible. The last 15 days they make you believe you are a great person and you are ready to hit the world. The staff is extremely rude and incompetent. And if you go there because you need a clearance, they make you feel you are in a penitence camp Oh and upon eval, everybody is an addict. Most people that go there relapse and they love it.
  • DJJ
    Sadistic....
  • Tc
    BEWARE I tried contacting multiple staff members of Palmetto, many times via phone and email, during my son's stay. Only one person returned my call. He was great!!! He was very helpful in providing information. One of the staff members FINALLY contacted me. We had a brief phone conversation. He was very angry, disrespectful and condescending. I do not appreciate, the way he handled the phone call or the way he was spoke to someone he did not know. He seems to be very upset, because I have a different opinion. After, our unproductive phone conversation. It was brought to my attention that he had attacked my character by saying, I was angry and an enabler. If, this is the way a counselor handles a family members, it is truly a poor reflection on Palmetto. The living conditions at Palmetto are worse than being in jail. I when for the weekend to visit to my son. I noticed the water had a very DARK discoloration. With the facility Charging approximately of $25,000- $30,000 for a 90 day program. My son only received $40 a week for FOOD!!! This is ridiculous!!!! At their approach to rehab is definitely different!!! In my opinion this place should not be operating. And definitely should reevaluate their staff. I will definitely, make it very clear the Better Business Bureau, Google, yelp, Facebook and any other forum or public media site how people are handled at this facility.
  • Christina
    Palmetto saved my life, hands down!!! Could not be happier now. and I was a hopeless drug addict for over 10 years. Thank you Palmetto!!
  • Natasha
    Great program, they break you and remake you!! I had a wonderful experience here and recommend it to anyone seeking a new profound life! I only wish insurance companies cared more about addiction. My insurance cut out after 30 days; however, what I did learn was a great start to in my journey to happiness!!! The counselors do it \"full metal jacket style\" but it works if you work it!! Thanks guys! I will never forget any of you!! Take care and God bless!!
  • RR
    I must say this was a life changing experience for me. Palmetto helped me understand the core issues in my life, alcohol and drugs were not the root cause of my problems. Alcohol and drugs were my way of coping with any emotional issue that I found disturbing. I no longer have to rely on changing my state of mind by using any mind altering substance. I now have the tools to cope with any issues that come up in my life. The staff at Palmetto really cares, I have seen negative comments about the staff and the treatment plan at Palmetto but they are unfounded. If you or a loved one need a safe place to get lives back on track, I highly recommend doing some research and I think you will find Palmetto Addiction Recovery is one of the best places to learn how to live life sober.
  • TW
    Horrible!...some may not care about posting the FACTS but I do, if you have other options PLEASE take heed to comment, I am sober & could only tolerate this place 2 weeks ...! They do not care about your treatment & they will prove it to you if your insurance stops paying! HORRIBLE PLACE
  • MR
    This place saved me! I think you get out of a program what you\'re willing to put into it. That was back in 2007 and I am clean and sober living a life I didn\'t dream could be possible!
  • Maftt
    Didn't work. It's a little harsh but a good place to get clean. There is a great councilor
  • LM
    The counseling and mental health services I received were excellent. I truly believe because of the treatment I received I had a better chance at staying sober. I've been sober four years. It is expensive but I would say completely worth every penny. My counselor saved my life. They helped me transition into recovery housing and I continued aftercare at their facility upon completion of treatment. Palmetto helped me learn who I was and who. I wanted to become. Palmetto helped me get the peace in my life I do desperately needed.
    People Listen to your Problems and honestly try there best to Help. A few Bad employees .... A bad apple spoils a bunch. If it will help You or a loved one By all means GO
    I know this is one of the few places professional can go to keep there license. O)ther than that this place is not for someone who needs help getting clean or regaining their life.
  • Jeff
    I attended Palmetto in 2006 and have been sober ever since. My life changed completely and everything I have that is good in my life started in this treatment center. I and my family will be forever grateful.
  • LLC
    This place is highly unethical.
  • TTT
    This place is completely illegitimate.
  • Rivk
    Poor
  • R.M.
    I CANNOT STRESS TO YOU ENOUGH, THIS PLACE IS A SCAM! YOU PAY THEM OVER 2000 DOLLARS A WEEK, SOMETIMES 3 DAYS TO LIVE IN A GROSS PLACE
  • E.R.L.
    I did the 3 day evaluation. I am not an addict, but Palmetto will label you as one unless you are 100% pure with regards to drugs. Their medical director is unprofessional and deliberately condescending. He asked me what my college education was. I answered truthfully. He didn\'t believe me. (I have more college education than he does, and apparently this bothered him) They know very little about mental health and have antiquated philosophies of addiction. Palmetto may be helpful to some people who have serious addiction issues, but for me it was a miserable experience and waste of money.
  • Tiffany
    90 day rehab successfully completed with much resistant from patient. The patient is clean and sober, but they didn't do enough to get the patient involved at the beginning.
  • VP
    I was left on my own without direction or help. It was not about help it was about making money; if you have good insurance you get good care.
  • Terry
    I went thru a 3 day evaluation. The staff started selling me on a 90 day treatment program as soon as I arrived even though I am not an addict. Biggest scam I have ever seen. Staff and program felt like a cult.
  • Jonathan
    Overall it was a deceptive facility that takes advantage for profit. You pay tens of thousands of dollars, but only given $40-budget for food the whole week. The staff are very rude and manipulative. Patients are encouraged to tell on each other over extremely little things. Majority of the staff there are recovering addicts as well. I will be three years sober coming up this summer with no thanks to Palmetto.
  • Johnny
    Palmetto was not easy, but it works. They gave me a wonderful life. Going on 6 years sober.
  • Dale
    The best decision I ever made was to attend this wonderful center. Detox was painless, staff accommodating, beautiful setting, and great counseling. Palmetto is the reason I am alive today. My stay was life changing and I didn't want to leave. With a new found faith in my God and a new way to appreciate life's simple blessings I must say I couldn't have done it without this place.
  • PL
    Way behind the times in addiction treatment. Old-school break 'em down and build 'em back up. Encouraged clients to criticize each other. I hated it. Left early when one of the other clients became abusive toward me, and staff did nothing to stop it, even took her side.
  • Bob C.
    It's probably the best rehab I've been to. I've been to 12 inpatient facilities and this one is the best. Been sober for 3 years since I left Palmetto! Thanks for my life back!
  • ZA
    Palmetto saved my life. This is a place that truly cares about helping their patients get sober. They not only use a very therapeutic approach but help patients learn to live life as a functioning member of society. They also have a great continuation of services. I would recommend this treatment center to all.
  • anonymous
    Palmetto saved my life. This place truly cares about helping people and taught me so much about myself.
  • Dd
    Palmetto is a very sacred place that took a severely dysfunctional junkie and helped me to turn my life around and become a productive member of sobriety. This is the place where getting sober is the number one priority.
  • Bill
    Palmetto far exceeded my expectations across the board. I had been in rehab approximately 15 times before and decided it would not work. I was essentially forced to go by my doctor. It was the beginning of a new way of thinking and behaving I had not understood before.
  • Jan
    I thought drugs/alcohol were my problem. This treatment facility and the counselors showed me how to dig further, to expose my weakness, fears, behaviors, thoughts, feelings etc. This allowed me to face and process the roots of my addiction.
  • MJ
    We had family weekend. Helped us be a part of the recovery process.
  • TT
    Helped me get and stay clean.
  • EB
    Very effective treatment!
  • AM
    Horrible people; horrible program
  • brb
    Helped me get my life together
  • Jeanne
    This was my 10th treatment. Palmetto is the best treatment center around.
  • SW
    Best thing that could have happened to me, saved my life, learned a lot about shame, guilt and resentments/ anger.
  • BK
    Found it helpful.
  • Lee
    I didn't have the money to pay for it, or I would have stayed longer
  • KC
    Had such a negative experience.
  • anonymous
    My friend had been to treatment sites in the past but the difference in this experience is the staff at Palmetto seem unafraid of confronting him and his family to break the cycle of dysfunction and make them all accountable for the behaviors, past and present.