Peachford Hospital in Atlanta, GA

2151 Peachford Road
Atlanta GA 30338

Peachford Hospital Philosophy

Peachford understands that substance abuse and mental health issues can affect all areas of a person’s life. The rehab offers a safe and nurturing environment where clients can remove themselves from daily stressors and concentrate solely on recovery. With programs for adults, adolescents, seniors and children, Peachford is dedicated to providing each individual with the personalized care they need, as well as the tools necessary to create a sustainable program for lifelong recovery.

• 12-Step
    The term “12 Step Program” describes a way to recover from addiction that is based on the model developed by Alcoholics Anonymous. Many drug and alcohol treatment centers base their treatment on 12 steps – the first three of which are situational, the next four addressing the practical issues created by the addiction, followed by two steps focused on making amends for hurting others. Steps 10 and 11 involve a deeper examination of the previous steps and the final step is focused on helping others avoid and recover from addiction.

• Dual Diagnosis/ Co-Occurring Disorders Treatment

Family Therapy

Individual Therapy

Drug and Alcohol Education

Dr.Asaf Aleem, M.D.

Medical Director

Dr. Aleem is the Medical Director for the facility and oversees all clinical services for the hospital. In addition, Dr. Aleem has served as a Clinical Assistant Professor for the Emory University, Department of Psychiatry and as Assistant Professor for Wayne State University, Department of Psychiatry. Dr. Aleem received his medical degree from Maulana Azad Medical College, New Delhi, India. He continued his training with an internship in psychiatry at the Winnebago Mental Health Institute, Winnebago, Wisconsin and the Washington University School of Medicine. Dr. Aleem is board certified in adult and geriatric psychiatry. He is a member of the American Psychiatric Association, Georgia Physicians Psychiatric Association, Society for Traumatic Stress Studies and the American Geriatric Society.

Eamon Dutta, M.D.

Adult Inpatient Service Director

Dr. Dutta is responsible for the clinical supervision of the Adult Services at Peachford Behavioral Health System. He received his early psychiatric training at All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India. He completed his Residency and Fellowship training in General and Geriatric Psychiatry at Beth Israel Medical Center, New York. Dr. Dutta is board certified in general and geriatric psychiatry as well as addiction medicine. His practice focuses on acute psychiatric stabilization, crisis management and intensive outpatient modalities. He has teaching affiliations with Moorehouse School of Medicine and Georgia Health Sciences University. He is an active member of Georgia Psychiatric Physician Association and American Psychiatric Association.

ABOUT PEACHFORD HOSPITAL

Located in Atlanta, Ga., Peachford Hospital has been treating mental illness and addiction for more than 40 years. For adults struggling with substance abuse and co-occurring disorders, the hospital offers both inpatient and outpatient care. Other services are designed to address psychiatric issues in children, teens, adults, and seniors.

Peachford Hospital offers treatment at varying levels of intensity. Acute inpatient hospitalization provides medical and psychiatric stabilization, as well as 24-hour nursing care. The hospital’s partial hospitalization program (PHP) is a level below, as it provides six hours of daily programming; PHP clients return to their homes at the end of the day.

The intensive outpatient program (IOP) includes three hours of programming a day, and, for those who require standard outpatient treatment, the center refers out to its network of providers. Additionally, Peachford Hospital offers a dual diagnosis program for adults.

Based on 12-step principles, treatment is conducted through mostly group and family therapy sessions. Clients are encouraged to participate in discussions about control, anger, shame, and grief. Education is also a key program component. Clients are introduced to the disease concept of addiction and coached on relapse prevention strategies.

All clients who complete treatment are provided with discharge planning and aftercare.

The staff consist of psychiatrists, addictionologists, registered nurses, social workers, activity therapists, and certified substance abuse counselors.

Peachford Hospital strives to create a nurturing environment for its residents. Colorful linens and artwork help soften the clinical setting. Most clients share semi-private rooms, and there is a pool on-site.

Clients enrolled in outpatient programming may opt to reside at the center’s short-term housing facility, The Lodge. Designed for clients over 18, The Lodge provides increased independence while still offering support and guidance; it is monitored by a staff member.

Alumni polled by Rehabs.com had varying impressions of the facility, rendering mostly mid-level ratings in nine evaluated categories. Counseling options received a rating of 3.45 stars, based on 11 survey responses, and the staff’s level of experience and the facility’s cleanliness trailed slightly at 3.27 and 3.18 stars, respectively. One anonymous alum characterized staff as “excellent,” but shared this criticism: “I would recommend more quality time be scheduled with an individual counselor or physician to delve into issues that may be uncomfortable sharing in a group setting.” In another positive review, R.F. wrote: “If your are willing to put the work in, the outpatient therapy can be life-changing.”

The lowest rating went to holistic offerings, which received 1.9 stars based on 10 survey responses. Some reviewers submitted highly critical reviews of Peachford Hospital, such as J.W., who reported a lack of therapy as well as a lackluster menu: “For therapy they do trivial pursuit and karaoke. food is alright if you like fresh from the freezer. no sign of therapy anywhere.” Reviewer V.G.M. gave mostly one- and two-star ratings, writing: “There are too many people with too many different problems all trying to be treated in one place.”

Overall, loved ones provided higher ratings. The 12 survey respondents were most impressed with the facility’s cleanliness, giving it 4.17 stars. The staff’s level of experience and the family participation were also rated highly; they received ratings of 4.08 and four stars, respectively. One anonymous family member told Rehabs.com: “Clean, friendly, efficient. Professional, friendly and solution oriented facility.”

Like alumni, loved ones were least impressed with the facility’s holistic offerings, giving an average rating of 2.92 stars, and similarly, giving its leisure options 3.25 stars. A miscellaneous criticism came from family member T.M., who described the facility’s communication with loved ones as “horrifying,” although the the facility’s connectivity and visitor policies received an average rating of 3.5 stars.

At the time of this writing, the sole staff reviewer, Kenneth, indicated in his Rehabs.com survey that he would highly recommend the facility to others. He gave the staff’s level of experience a two-star rating, though the remaining categories all received four or five stars. He highlighted the “patient interaction” as a strength.

Although the facility does not publish its rates online, Peachford Hospital’s list of accepted insurances is extensive and includes private companies, Medicare, and TRICARE.

Updated June 2016

Published on June 2016

I took time off from my job to stay at the facility from 08/12/2017 to 08/22/2017 for mental health reasons. Upon my arrival on day one I attempted to give my case worker and doctor the FMLA ( Family Medical Leave Act ) paperwork so that I could take FMLA time off from my job. I gave the paperwork to my doctor on day one. I reminded my doctor numerous times and my case worker numerous times that my employer needed the information back from them. Upon my discharge they had failed to deliver or share the FMLA information with my employer. After approximately 30 days removed from the facility I went on Peachford's website and sent communication reminding them of the need for the paperwork. Approximately two months later I went back on Peachford's website and communicated with them about the need for the FMLA information. They still had not provided the needed information. Finally, they responded to my communication stating they would pass my request on to the director of Social Services. Still, at that time they had failed to provide the information. Finally after 2 and 1/2 months my employer denied my request for FMLA because Peachford refused to provide the needed information. I am not sure if it was incompetence or lack of care yet there is no valid reason they could not provide FMLA information to my employer for my leave of absence.

THIS IS THE WORST PLACE THAT YOU CAN SEND SOMEONE. I CAN GO AND ON ABOUT THE RUDENESS, THE LACK OF COMMUNICATION, LACK OF COMPASSION. BUT RIGHT NOW I AM LEAVING A NIGHTMARE. MY SON WAS DISCHARGED TODAY. ACTUALLY IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE YESTERDAY, BUT WHEN I ASKED " I CAN'T GET THERE RIGHT NOW, I LIVE OUT-OF-TOWN" THE NURSE SAID "WE CAN LEAVE HIM IN A HOMELESS SHELTER" OH GREAT, I THOUGHT I HAD SENT HIM TO BE SAFE, BUT I GUESS YOU GET THE MONEY FOR THE WEEK AND WHO CARES WHERE THE PATIENT GOES WHEN HE LEAVES THE HOSPITAL. "IS HE UNDER ANY MEDICATION?" "IDON'T KNOW", SAYS THE NURSE. OMG! HOW CAN I HAVE SOMEBODY COMING FROM 5 DAYS OF DETOX WITH NO MEDICINE, AND THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO BE THE PROFESSIONAL ONES. I asked to talk to the doctor (who btw never talked to us). I talked to one yesterday and we agreed that he would stay until today and get medicine until the end of the month. He was very clear with me that he would have his medicine. I picked up my son this afternoon at the hospital, traveled two hours back home and when I get home, he doesn't have his medicine, we have a prescription that no drugstore has. We have spent two hours driving around and looking for drugstores that have this in stock. Absolutely the worst nightmare after spending a week in a mental hospital. So , now my son leaft the house, probably to self medicate himself. Never in my life I saw a medical place that totally doesn't care about the patient. Do not go to this place.

The doctor told my husband who has been 1013'd for 5 days that if he doesn't take Seroquil (which is NOT prescribed by his primary doctor) that he will not get out and he will commit suicide if he does not take it. He took him off of his 200mg Effexor and put him on 37.5mg which is very dangerous. He constantly suffered from brain zaps, numbness, and memory loss. Those medical concerns are not being treated by the doctor. I called his primary psychiatrist and he is also concerned of his well being. He tried contacting the doctor, but can not get a response. He has been compliant through his 72 hour observation and has gotten an OK from his counselor and social worker. The only person that will not sign off is the doctor. I think he may have a personal problem with my husband, but that is no reason to keep him confined. I am afraid we have to file a lawsuit to get this figured out.

This is the WORST PLACE!!! My child was admitted on a Friday. I called to speak with a. Doctor regarding her wellness I NEVER got a call ! In believable they called and told me she was ready to come home Thursday after 7 days I called to speak with. Supervisor or patient advocates everyday I still haven't heard from them the only call I got was a discharge call. I'm still trying to find out how can this happen my child came home worst then when she was admitted to the place. I'm going to be heard it a in humane place HORRIBLE PEOPLE GETTING PAID FOR NOTHING!!!!

Proactive family deeply involved in our child's wellbeing. This hospital will not return calls. My child has not attended therapy sessions as staff states they cannot 'make them go'. You will not hear from your child's case manager. Good luck trying to speak to your child's psychiatrist. Presently filing complaint with The Joint Commission and also with GA Dept of Community Health. Parents, document everything if you send your child here. Names, dates and times. It may come in handy.

You will never receive a straight answer when you ask how your child is doing. You will not receive a call back from a nurse or your child's psychiatrist. Your child will not attend therapy sessions if they do not want to. Not just one, but many. Your child will be left without treatment. I was told once by one worker that they have 50 or so kids and once by anther that there are 40+ children when asked where my child has been all day. If you do not call before 3p.m., nursing staff will not be able to inform you of how your child has done for the day. Best advice I can give you: Get a notebook and document every time, date and person you speak to and what they say. You will need it.

Whatever you do, do not check yourself into this place and avoid going here at all costs. Protocol is completely inappropriate. A social worker here is completely irresponsible and was not reachable my entire stay. As well as during my stay I asked for a note for school and told I would have a copy provided. That was not the case. Now I'm trying to call to get a school note and they can't reach anyone capable of providing me with one because they said a social worker is not answering a page. Communication between different levels of staff is almost non existent. If you call you'll most likely be transferred multiple times and than end up with a voicemail of someone who will not get back to you in a normal time frame and if you're in the facility you pretty much only have access to nurses who know absolutely nothing and have NO communication with your social worker or doctor which are the only people even capable of helping you, but don't count on ever seeing them or if you do don't count on it being longer than 5 minutes .For at least 7 plus hours a day your put in a room with 35 women or more to do nothing but watch tv and color. Whatever you do avoid this facility at all costs no matter what your reasoning is. Get help somewhere else.

They may have to put both front ladies into the facility themselves! RUDE! You can't ask anything without getting an attitude in return. No one tells you what's going on with your minor age child. I don't know how this place operates!

The Counselor who attended to my son was beyond rude to me and talked down to my son. She was inconsiderate and was barking out orders like I was back on the plantation Very unprofessional and the center had no one in place to tackle complaints.

Our interview was a very unpleasant experience, to say the least. We were trying to provide about our loved one and also to get information and it was like being interrogated by the police. Ignored direct questions, said she wasn't interested in our opinions, a really bizaare and upsetting experience.

Being in here felt like a prison. Nobody listened. They don't care about you. I was locked in a room all day and the only "treatment" I got was being asked how I felt in the morning and in the afternoon. Every so often there would be "group therapy", which, again, only consisted of asking us how we felt. We only had a set of uno cards to pass the time.

Peachford was amazing! They helped our adolescent out and gave her the medical stabilization that she needed. They were always available for me to call and discuss her progress. We will forever be grateful for all of the staff at Peachford.

Simple peachford gave me my life back.

This happens to be the worst treatment center besides black bear in the united states.staff is disrespectful and degrading to pts.facility is so nasty, filthy there is really no words to express my stay.

First of all, front desk workers. RUDE!!!! One of the workers at the front desk kept flipping the television while I was waiting to see my wife and I told her I was watching that and she didnt care. 2nd of all, got back to the family counseling room to a meeting with the social worker and there gnats flying all over the room and maggits on the office floor. My wife was due to get out after driving clean across the state, I get there and find out the Doctor was rude to my wife. I will be filing a complaint with the Georgia medical board along with the health department.

We were not impressed at all with the care that our family member received. The facility and profesionals and doctors lump all patients in to the same group regardless of need or severity of treatment. Complete misdiagnosis and failure to admit the lack of knowledge of the patient. The experience our family had at this facility was horrible from start to finish.

This place is an absolute mess. They not only did not help my condition (bipolar/anxiety) it was actually worsened during my stay there...when I asked for an advil I was berated by the meds nurse because she "already had too much work to do" . so much that she couldn't supply me with a simple advil... Also other than rest or sleep time we were not allowed in our rooms, which is fair enough to prevent you from sleeping the whole day, but the only bathrooms available to us are IN our rooms! no outside bathrooms. So every time you had to go you had to piss off a nurse to unlock your room just to simply pee and they would take their sweet time. The accommodations were nice enough but the staff and the doctors took away from this and did not help me at all. I had to be hospitalized again but this time I went to Ridgeview in Smryna and it was a MILLION times better. I wouldn't take my dying dog there, much less a loved one. If I could I would give this absolute sink hole of a hospital a 0

Terrible treatment, food, caretaking methods, and the stigma on it is 100% true.

My child left with enormous anxiety, witnessed fights,...

OMG!!Some of the nursing staff are so cruel.. My whole experience in this facility, made me worst mentally....These people only care about money not the care and safety of the patients.

My 16 year old daughter went in for treatment for depression/suicide and was there for a week. When she was discharged, she came out with a boyfriend that the staff apparently knew about and didn't discourage. Completely unacceptable.

Totally disgusting... Liar mobile negotiator was this one woman.

This facility does not hire professionals. My daughter was here for several days asking for assistance with placement of where she would go after her discharge. The social worker waited until the day of her discharge to begin coming up with a plan. This was way too late and has put the burden on family members to make choices that are neither good for us or our daughter. The weekend social worker blamed the weekday social worker. The doctor at Peachford prescribed medicine that is not acceptable to the lodge or outpatient programs offered at Peachford, yet this was the ONLY program the social worker was recommending on the day of her discharge. Once they became aware of the disconnect in their stories, the social worker quit trying, did not follow thru with me on two other options that she had committed to working with my daughter on, and she left work. Next phone call I received was from my daughter saying she was being discharged.For a hospital to receive money from a good insurance plan that we have and act this unprofessional is unacceptable. This place deserves to be shut down and sold to anot her company who can actually hire professional employees.

this place was horrifying. the food is absolute crud. the mha's & nurses were all so rude, with thee exception of a few. this place does not help you get better.

please, don't send your loved ones here. They deserve better than that unclean and unprofessional institution.

This place is a total crud hole. This is not the place to come or bring your loved ones. I am working right now from there parking lot to get her the heck out of here! This place should not even be allowed to operate! I am going to contact any and everyone in this state Monday morning and reporting this place to all the proper authorities! AGAIN do notch e here for yourself and do not put your family members here!

Guy yelled at me first day and then refused to help me. Don't recommend this place for anybody!

One of the outpatient program addiction therapist's was good.Large hospital like setting. Patients' admittance to facility ranged from voluntary to involuntary. If your are willing to put the work in, the outpatient therapy can be life-changing.

Cleanness patient interaction Getting supplyy to patients on a timely matter Good facility for people with certain problems other problems not so good.

Some staff is good Many victim's treatment does not have the desired result. (Relapse, Suicide, etc.) This treatment facility was less than good. Other facilities after this one seemed to have better treatment, as well as more success post-treatment, including myself. Many attendants of this facility do not become well after treatment.

Too structured, I got sent to a mental hospital. It was boring and not very helpful

Safety for the employees Safety for the patients nasty no kindness or care from employees i lost 17lbs in a week due to not being able to eat their food. Peachford of atlanta ga is worse than a jail. Its nasty, the employees are horrible to the patients, the food is disgusting.

Trusting, supportive environment where patients' best interests are top priority Dated buildings, some therapists have some abrasive personality quirks You largely use other patients as support resources, and the hospital as facilitated an atmosphere of trust & support that manifests itself in the patients.

Art therapy, music therapy, dbt, cbt, able to go outside Makes you wait too long to be evaluated, locks all belongings up, staff at front are irresponsible and aloof. It was an okay experience, some of the staff were friendly, the others weren't. Waiting for admission takes an eternity, and service didn't meet my expectations. It could be better.

Number of staff, professionalism of staff. The staff was very professional and helpful. They kept us informed of our child's progress throughout treatment.

very effective, wide range of options, convenient location could be hard to find Stevie Ray Vaughan was treated here and found sobriety after being in a near-death state.

They offer a safe and nurturing environment for children, adolescents, adults and seniors to find hope and healing from emotional, psychiatric and addictive diseases, quiet and peaceful. small Helps people of all ages. The famous guitarist Stevie Ray Vaughn was treated here. He was in very poor health. The treatment he received at this facility very likely saved his life.

Care was good. Food was not very good.

experts and professional. it's not about the money; they are really there for you. I was very confident and motivated that they would help me through my addiction and they did; and they did.

Location Tolerance Was well kept care of also had great physician care

Clean Need more people Very clean.

therapy and rehab food overall was good, done what was needed

Professional Staff Waiting area could be nicer Nice facility, clean

Do notsend your family members here! I was A patient, all they want is your money, they don't care if you get better. I almost lost my mind there! It is no help once oh ever!!

This place is a joke! Money is the only thing this place is concerned with!!!

I just left this heck hole. Calling it a treatment center is a joke. One bathroom for 40 women to use during the day. The nurses never came out of their office. Most of the staff were very rude with the exception of a few. Nurses showed no compassion for patients. Forget being able to sleep at night. The place stunk, there were people yelling and screaming constantly not the the place to be if you have anxiety. I've never been to prison, but I can't imagine it being much different.

i came there last year after a suicide attempt. i was lucky enough to get there and immediately got hooked up with a great Psychiatrist. The staff was very professional and very nice. the cafeteria is really good. they keep the rooms extremely cold. i learned a lot while being there and i hope never to return there, but if something happens, this is the place i would like to go back to

It has been about six years since I was in Peachford and I am still trying to get over it. .The whole place is geared to drug rehabilitation which was not my problem. The staff was extremely callous And rude and treated The patients like prisoners.I checked myself in hoping to get help I firmly believe this hospital needs to be closed And investigated For possible criminal activity.

Peachford Hopsital in Atlanta, GA was the most unprofessional, unsupportive, uneffective "jail" one could be associated with. The assigned doctor was disguishing, and prescribed the WRONG medication for me. I am not a drug addict nor do I use alcohol, but the doctor put a "label" on me as being bipolar, of which, is completely incorrect.

this is a no bull. For therapy they do trivial pursuit and karaoke. food is alright if you like fresh from the freezer. no sign of therapy anywhere. in any form. the VA sent me here.

If you have Anixiey Disorder this is not the place for you. You will get worse. Go to a private psychiatrist or therapist. The mixed group therapy is not appropriate for Anixiey

Run! A family member is there and I am appalled. Had a family meeting, they asked fluff questions, but could not or would not provide me with any information about what treatment had been administered since admission 5 days ago. This patient is 90 years old and this is the first time the facility has contacted the family for input. Promised a doctor would see the patient and contact me during that visit today. That didn't happen. Calling the hospital for info is a joke. They will not give any information regarding how to contact doctors. And they are rude about it. The issues and concerns I have are numerous, I'll just sum it up by saying if someone tells you an elderly loved one is going to Peachford, DO NOT allow it. Georgia law makers have committed a grave injustice to our citizens by basically privatizing mental health services. The related information I've found in the last few days is horrifying.

My first cousin is in Peachford. I live in Toronto, Canada. I tried leaving him this message: Happy Birthday, yesterday, as Dec. 7th is his Birthday. Staff refused, and the same today. A hospital which can't give the patient a Happy Birthday message. ReallY?

This place kept me a total of 209 hours when I was a voluntary check in. Also, I had thyroid cancer removed shortly before the admittance during assessments and when I meet the doctor and the medical staff, they refused a copyo my medical records. I was NOT given my meds as promised, I had a migraine and asked them to call the medical director at North Fulton. I ask to speak to another staff member and getting no where with the patients advocate.

This is a place to be when you are in need. They are swift at getting people in, but they are understaffed.

They have caring employees who you can tell like helping others in their time of need. My daughter was brought there when she was involved in a situation/time where she was "cutting" herself. They helped her see that she could live a good life without harming herself. The only downfall was that they had little visitation.

This facility was doctor recommended. They provided family visitation and classes.

It brought up things that I had bottled up for years.

The group and individual therapies were great. However, there was not enough time devoted to individual therapy with physician. The staff was excellent but I would recommend more quality time be scheduled with an individual counselor or physician to delve into issues that may be uncomfortable sharing in a group setting.

It is an overall good facility. They have good food. However, some of their non-clinical staff members are rude.

They're always there to help you with anything.

I felt that they pressured patients to take medicine, those with a mental illness or not. Only strength is that the facility was clean.

Detox was great to feel healthier, but if I just went to detox and not the PHP aftercare program I would of already relapsed. They saved my life. They were understaffed and some of the employees were rude.

Terrible experience, would never repeat. There was a lack of respect for patients.

The staff was terrible, too busy flirting with other staffers than doing their job.

This was just the beginning for us with my son. Not sure what to think, seeing this was the first time we had to deal with something like this and so there for we were new to all this

This was a scary lonesome place . Poorly staffed...Was the worst experience of my life. It was a meat market. You had to be there to know how bad it was. I was terrified.

Would never go back.

Mt Sinai Wellness Center
  • Equine therapy
  • Harvard-trained psychiatrist
  • Two round-the-clock chefs
Focus Treatment Centers
  • Alumni programming and aftercare services
  • Whole-person care approach and experssive therapies including art therapy and dance/ movement therapy
  • Weekly nutritionist on-site and professional chef