Pioneer Center North in Sedro-Woolley, WA

1960 Thompson Drive
Sedro-Woolley WA 98284

Pioneer Center North Philosophy

Pioneer Center North is a 141-bed, long-term residential substance abuse treatment center for the chronically addicted. Most patients have been involuntarily committed, perhaps because they were unsuccessful in other treatment programs, and may pose a threat to themselves or others. Services include detoxification, anger management classes, relapse prevention, life skills, nutrition, fitness, meditation, and aftercare planning.

• Holistic Therapy
    Facilities that offer “holistic therapy” see and treat patients in the context of their entire lives and health status. They treat the “whole person,” not just the addiction.

Relaxation Exercises

Vocational Training

Pain Management

ABOUT PIONEER CENTER NORTH

Pioneer Human Services is a nonprofit “social enterprise” organization dedicated to helping individuals with criminal histories throughout Washington State develop the tools needed to lead healthy, productive lives. One of just 176 (44.4 percent of) nonprofits in the state, Pioneer Center North (PCN) of Sedro-Woolley is a 141-bed facility that offers evidence-based detoxification and residential treatment services for adult men and women struggling with chronic substance abuse.

Pioneer Center North (PCN) accepts adult men and women aged 18 and older on both voluntarily and involuntarily basis’. According to the center’s website, many clients have serious health conditions, including liver disease, and many have been unsuccessful in treatment elsewhere. Most clients require a substance use evaluation by a chemical dependency professional and be authorized for treatment services by the Behavioral Health Organization (BHO). Those requiring stabilization typically begin treatment in the center’s detox unit.

Once admitted, inpatients follow an evidence-based treatment program that makes use of various therapeutic approaches such as dialectical behavior therapy (DBT) and motivational enhanced therapy (MET) as well as the Matix Model and Seeking Safety. Specialized process groups are available for those dealing with grief, loss, and trauma. Programming covers nutrition and provides clients with opportunity to learn techniques for relaxation, meditation, and pain management.

Clients also attend classes designed to help them reenter and reengage with society. While some focus on acquiring independent living skills, others may benefit more from on-site vocational workshops, in which they’ll create a resume, practice interviewing, and develop the skills needed for job searching.

There is currently no information provided by the facility regarding its treatment staff.

One of just 80 (20.2 percent of) residential facilities in the state, PCN can accommodate up to 141 clients at a time. The semi-secure facility accepts visitors after they’ve attended the family orientation program. Phone calls may be made during designated times and at the staff’s discretion.

Alumni polled by Rehabs.com to date provided mixed feedback on their experiences with Pioneer Center North.

Dissatisfied alumni likened PCN to a prison, citing a disrespectful staff and sub-par food. “This isn't a treatment center, it is a transition center for criminals. It's dirty, cold and the staff treats you like a criminal,” B.F. told Rehabs.com in one such report. “They treat you horribly! . They ignore you completely… The food is not cooked all the way!” added alum M.W., while yet another called the program “a joke” and described the center as “a lockdown facility with a detox on site."

Much in contrast, those satisfied with their experiences characterized PCN as a straightforward, no-frills program with a dedicated staff. “IF YOU ARE SERIOUS ABOUT YOUR RECOVERY THIS IS A GOOD FACILITY,” one anonymous alum wrote. Amongst other, alum J.C. felt that PCN was a “great place” to start their recovery.

Despite mixed feedback, a group of four alumni applauded several areas of programming:

Would recommend: 3.25/5
Staff’s level of training and experience: 3/5
Counseling options: 3/5
Facility cleanliness: 4/5

Loved ones surveyed by Rehabs.com to date shared positive feedback on their family’s experience with PCN.

Collectively, friends and family members described the facility itself as “nice” and “beautiful” and staff as “great.” “Truly grateful for this facility program and staff,” wrote Eriks in one highly celebratory review. “My son would not be alive today if it weren't for the amazing care and help he received in the 60 day program.”

Elizabeth, however, raised concerns over the center’s security and safety, telling Rehabs.com: “My daughter says violence, drugs, uncomfortable to be there.”

Pioneer Center North provides few details on its treatment fees or insurance policies online, however, its website notes that self-paying clients “may apply directly.” Rehabs.com reviews indicated that, by and large, clients and their loved ones found treatment at PCN affordable.

Published on January 2019

The people who have been rating Pioneer Center North with one Star and warning others not to go here are, respectfully, out of their minds. This place was an incredible stepping stone and experience that helped save my life. The building is a bit intimidating at first because it once was a mental institution and at another time was a locked down facility. That being said the land that this place has been resting upon is some of the most beautiful I have ever had the privilege to live on. The food needs to be worked on just a touch but I am truly searching myself in order to find something to complain about!!! We have shitloads of free time, 4-5 classes maximum Monday through Friday and get to have activities such as kareokee, nails, Walka and Rec time on the weekends and some throughout the week days. I cannot stress enough the importance TO BRING AN ALARM CLOCK WITH NO RADIO, you must practice time management and if you don’t get to class on time you can loose the ability to go on walks and get visitation. I can for the sobriety but I stayed because I fell in love with the amazing, beautiful and powerful women I was so blessed to have met and now have these amazing valkyries as my very own life long friends. They held me up when I was low and I got to do the same for them, they helped heal my soul. The people who work here, nearly every one of them is a recovering addict in one way or another. Each has a gift that they bring to this place, be it comedy relief or just a shoulder to cry on, they care about your life. In my experience the only people who ever gave a shit about me while I was using were other addicts in recovery.... only at the time I thought they were showing signs of weakness because I lacked the ability to feel like anything other than a vicious apex predator. No I do not feel as though we are supposed to compete, no from this day fourth you are my sisters. Pioneer Center North gave me more than a gift of sobriety, it reconnected my soul to the universe and once more allowed me to love another person other than only myself. That is why I have given PCN five stars. Thank you.

The cons: the mattresses. The pros: 60 days to work on you. Beautiful setting. The program was beneficial and had a lot to offer. The reward system keeps people accountable. Some of the staff was phenomenal while others just didn't seem to care at all. If you are ready to change this place is a great start. Bring some reading material and have someone send you pillows and a mattress topper and you will have it made!

Not the greatest ammenidies, but the education and treatment aspect of PCN is state of the art. I highly recommend this inpatient facility to anyone truly serious about treatment for addiction.

This place is great! You get what you put into it, as any recovery program is. the staff are awesome from my experience there and work with you in all areas of your life. Like I said if you're there to work on yourself and listen then you're definitely going to reap the reward from it! I have some favorites there as for staff but you all are wonderful people doing great things for people and got me through some hard times in my life! Guess what I'm still clean and sober!! It works if you work it!! sending my love to you all At PCN....

And to hold me back they they taking my phone and my bank card it has been 3 business days now and I get it back please don't send your love ones there they will not get

My daughter says violence, drugs, uncomfortable to be there

Facility was ok, treatment and food was below average

Truly grateful for this facility program and staff. My son would not be alive today if it weren't for the amazing care and help he received in the 60 day program. He is now 1 year sober and working at a recovery center in the detox unit!!

Friends and family of an at risk drug/alcohol abuser hope that a facility they trust their person to will be the solution to their recovery. My family did. I attended PCN and I made a sincere effort to get the most out of their program. I was placed there as an incentive to my legal situation due to my substance abuse. The facility, program and staff were marginal at best. Many of the clients do not want to be there. It is a warehouse alternative to jail or homelessness for most. I worked on trust issues along a laundry list of historical components that contributed to my own substance abuse... I was able to manage my sobriety after leaving, in spite of the depressing and dismal experience and surroundings. You have to want it more internally than wallowing in your external circumstances. Sadly, there is a need for such facilities in our society. Not everyone wants to get sober and jail isn't a therapeutic environmental consequence. People who want recovery bad enough will find a way no mater what. PCN is a reprieve.

This facility was like a jail it only makes a recovering addict feel like a animal. The facilities are okay but this place needs a change of direction and curriculum... In short no treatment will work unless the addict is ready to stop they must make the choice sending your loved one to a place like this is not a bad idea only a waste of money if they don't put the effort in. K quit with methadone treatment after 7 years and have been to 12 treatment centers including pcn and a two and half year inpatient residential program called habilitat. In short u can show someone the way but these places won't change them be smart and educate yourself and don't listen to the first doctor who says it will work trust me I've been to Mexico and done ibogane treatment for 20,000 I did everything short of blood transfusions I couldn't get past sickness from heroin. In my opinion methadone treatment with outpatient and counseling with proper medication excirsize dieting and meditation is the best for someone who actually wants to quit but can't get thru initial withdraws and post a acute withdrawals.

They treat you horribly! . They ignore you completly!! I mean ... just look at the place?! >:-《. The whole place just stinks of stale cigarette smoke!! The food is not cooked all the way! That place is top #1 out of many, That i recommend u STAY AWAY from!!!

Pcn was a great place for me to start my recovery process

Its a lockdown facility with a detox on site. poor nutrition, under staffed, sleeping quarters are drafty. The program was a joke, but getting some clean time behind me started me on a journey to being nearly five years clean today.

IF YOU ARE SERIOUS ABOUT YOUR RECOVERY THIS IS A GOOD FACILITY. LARGE PERCENTAGE OF RESIDENTS COME FOR THE SATISFACTION OF THE LEGAL SYSTEM AND DON'T CARE. THIS EFFECTS OTHERS THAT ARE SERIOUS ABOUT THEIR RECOVERY. PAY YOUR STAFF MORE..THEY MIGHT CARE MORE ABOUT THE LIVES THAT ARE TRYING TO BE SAVED. YOUR MEDICAL PROGRAM IS TERRIBLE. PEOPLE THAT COME INTO YOU FACILITY ARE LEGALLY SICK BY DEFINITION AND MOST HAVE PHYSICAL PROBLEMS. EXTREMELY INADEQUATE AND A SENSE OF "WE DON'T CARE" ON THE MEDICAL SIDE. STOP ADMITTING REPEAT OFFENDERS WITH MULTIPLE TRIPS TO THIS FACILITY.

The facility is beautiful, and staff are great

it is next door to a job corp which I find kind of strange, but the facility is nice

This isn't a treatment center, it is a transition center for criminals. It's dirty, cold and the staff treats you like a criminal... you are expected to do "chores" such as cleaning the toilets. They made more mistakes than I can list here. Regarding the food: It is slopped on a well used plastic tray. Typical meal is bologna and cheese, canned beans, salisbury steak, canned peaches, frozen processed chicken patties, turkey hotdogs. Overheard from people there, "This is worse than jail food", "This is one step up from jail food". If you don't have to go to treatment to get out of jail or stay out of jail, find another place to go! Otherwise, you will just be doing time and not getting treatment.

All the psych department did was MANDATORILY make me take my antidepressant meds. If not - I would get "points" taken awayAfter behaving for a number of days - you get the advantage of going out on walks in the beautiful area and also to play some sports and do arts and crafts. We also were able to leave the facility to go to AA, NA or CA meetings and have REAL CAFFEINATED coffee. It was worth the cost because I needed to get away from my daily life of hell, but also at the same time it was not worth the cost because I didn't receive treatmen that I think I needed.

When i got to PCN I thought it was going to be easy to fake it but the staff at PCN was a lil smarter then I thought and called me on my stuff and helped me work through hard times and gave me a better understanding of my addiction, I will forever be thankful for their help and support because of going to PCN I will be celebrating six months on June 21, 2014. I'm still clean and sober and there is no cost to great to achieve that