Pioneer Center North in Sedro-Woolley, WA

1960 Thompson Drive
Sedro-Woolley WA 98284

Pioneer Center North Philosophy

Pioneer Center North is a 141-bed, long-term residential substance abuse treatment center for the chronically addicted. Most patients have been involuntarily committed, perhaps because they were unsuccessful in other treatment programs, and may pose a threat to themselves or others. Services include detoxification, anger management classes, relapse prevention, life skills, nutrition, fitness, meditation, and aftercare planning.

• Holistic Therapy
    Facilities that offer “holistic therapy” see and treat patients in the context of their entire lives and health status. They treat the “whole person,” not just the addiction.

Anger Management

Relapse Prevention

Meditation

ABOUT PIONEER CENTER NORTH

Through over 50 centers located throughout Washington State, Pioneer Human Services provides health and social services for individuals who have been incarcerated and are reentering society. Pioneer Center North (PCN), located in the city of Sedro-Woolley, provides detox and residential treatment for individuals struggling with chronic substance abuse. According to the facility’s website, many clients have serious health conditions, including liver disease, and struggle to stay motivated and follow rules.

According to PCN’s website, individuals may be admitted for treatment voluntarily or involuntarily. Most clients are required to undergo a substance use evaluation by their region’s Behavioral Health Organization prior to enrollment. Individuals who require stabilization typically begin their treatment in the facility’s detox unit.

Once admitted, participants engage in an evidence-based treatment program that utilizes a variety of therapeutic approaches, including dialectical behavior therapy, motivational therapy, the Matix Model, and Seeking Safety. Specialized process groups are available for clients dealing with grief, loss, and trauma. The program also addresses overall health and nutrition, and allows time for meditation and recreation.

To assist clients in their efforts to reenter society, staff provide instruction and guidance on basic living skills. Additionally, on-site vocational workshops are available to help clients create a resume, develop interviewing skills, and conduct a job search.

There is currently no information provided by the facility regarding its treatment staff, but the four individuals polled by Rehabs.com at the time of this writing gave the staff’s level of training and experience an average rating of three out of five stars.

According to its website, PCN is a 141-bed, semi-secure facility. All visitors must attend a family orientation program before they’re allowed to visit. Phone calls may be made during scheduled times and at the staff’s discretion.

Alumni polled by Rehabs.com provided mixed reviews of PCN. The four individuals who were asked how likely they were to recommend the facility to others provided a rating of 3.25 out of five stars. Those alumni gave the staff’s level of training and experience, as well as the program’s counseling options, three-star reviews. The facility’s cleanliness received the highest rating of four stars, while the program’s family participation and exercise and leisure options received 2.25 and 2.5 stars, respectively.

Those who were dissatisfied with their experiences compared the facility to a prison, mentioning disrespectful treatment by staff and sub-par food. “This isn't a treatment center, it is a transition center for criminals. It's dirty, cold and the staff treats you like a criminal,” B.F. told Rehabs.com in their one-star review. M.W.’s review echoed this assessment. “They treat you horribly! . They ignore you completely… The food is not cooked all the way!” they wrote in their review. Another anonymous alum called the program “a joke” and described the center as “a lockdown facility with a detox on site. poor nutrition, under staffed, sleeping quarters are drafty.”

In general, alumni who submitted positive reviews of their experiences characterized PCN as a straightforward, no-frills program with minimal hand-holding in regards to treatment. “IF YOU ARE SERIOUS ABOUT YOUR RECOVERY THIS IS A GOOD FACILITY,” one alum wrote, giving the program’s treatment effectiveness five stars. Similarly, Angela appreciated the center’s “tough love” approach. “When i got to PCN I thought it was going to be easy to fake it but the staff at PCN was a lil smarter then I thought and called me on my stuff and helped me work through hard times and gave me a better understanding of my addiction,” she wrote. J.C., also an alum, told Rehabs.com that PCN was a “great place” to start the recovery process.

The few loved ones polled by Rehabs.com at the time of this writing provided mostly positive reviews. Two anonymous loved ones rated the center’s treatment effectiveness with just two and three stars, but described the facility itself as “nice” and “beautiful.” “Staff are great,” one respondent added. Eriks praised the facility for the care his son received, crediting the center with saving his life. “Truly grateful for this facility program and staff. My son would not be alive today if it weren't for the amazing care and help he received in the 60 day program,” he wrote.

Elizabeth was the one loved one to raise concerns about the center’s security and safety. “My daughter says violence, drugs, uncomfortable to be there,” she told Rehabs.com.

PCN does not publish its fees or insurance policy online, but its website notes that the facility accepts self-paying clients. Reviews submitted to Rehabs.com indicated that clients and their loved ones found treatment to be generally affordable.

Published on October 2017

The cons: the mattresses. The pros: 60 days to work on you. Beautiful setting. The program was beneficial and had a lot to offer. The reward system keeps people accountable. Some of the staff was phenomenal while others just didn't seem to care at all. If you are ready to change this place is a great start. Bring some reading material and have someone send you pillows and a mattress topper and you will have it made!

Not the greatest ammenidies, but the education and treatment aspect of PCN is state of the art. I highly recommend this inpatient facility to anyone truly serious about treatment for addiction.

This place is great! You get what you put into it, as any recovery program is. the staff are awesome from my experience there and work with you in all areas of your life. Like I said if you're there to work on yourself and listen then you're definitely going to reap the reward from it! I have some favorites there as for staff but you all are wonderful people doing great things for people and got me through some hard times in my life! Guess what I'm still clean and sober!! It works if you work it!! sending my love to you all At PCN....

And to hold me back they they taking my phone and my bank card it has been 3 business days now and I get it back please don't send your love ones there they will not get

My daughter says violence, drugs, uncomfortable to be there

Facility was ok, treatment and food was below average

Truly grateful for this facility program and staff. My son would not be alive today if it weren't for the amazing care and help he received in the 60 day program. He is now 1 year sober and working at a recovery center in the detox unit!!

Friends and family of an at risk drug/alcohol abuser hope that a facility they trust their person to will be the solution to their recovery. My family did. I attended PCN and I made a sincere effort to get the most out of their program. I was placed there as an incentive to my legal situation due to my substance abuse. The facility, program and staff were marginal at best. Many of the clients do not want to be there. It is a warehouse alternative to jail or homelessness for most. I worked on trust issues along a laundry list of historical components that contributed to my own substance abuse... I was able to manage my sobriety after leaving, in spite of the depressing and dismal experience and surroundings. You have to want it more internally than wallowing in your external circumstances. Sadly, there is a need for such facilities in our society. Not everyone wants to get sober and jail isn't a therapeutic environmental consequence. People who want recovery bad enough will find a way no mater what. PCN is a reprieve.

This facility was like a jail it only makes a recovering addict feel like a animal. The facilities are okay but this place needs a change of direction and curriculum... In short no treatment will work unless the addict is ready to stop they must make the choice sending your loved one to a place like this is not a bad idea only a waste of money if they don't put the effort in. K quit with methadone treatment after 7 years and have been to 12 treatment centers including pcn and a two and half year inpatient residential program called habilitat. In short u can show someone the way but these places won't change them be smart and educate yourself and don't listen to the first doctor who says it will work trust me I've been to Mexico and done ibogane treatment for 20,000 I did everything short of blood transfusions I couldn't get past sickness from heroin. In my opinion methadone treatment with outpatient and counseling with proper medication excirsize dieting and meditation is the best for someone who actually wants to quit but can't get thru initial withdraws and post a acute withdrawals.

They treat you horribly! . They ignore you completly!! I mean ... just look at the place?! >:-《. The whole place just stinks of stale cigarette smoke!! The food is not cooked all the way! That place is top #1 out of many, That i recommend u STAY AWAY from!!!

Pcn was a great place for me to start my recovery process

Its a lockdown facility with a detox on site. poor nutrition, under staffed, sleeping quarters are drafty. The program was a joke, but getting some clean time behind me started me on a journey to being nearly five years clean today.

IF YOU ARE SERIOUS ABOUT YOUR RECOVERY THIS IS A GOOD FACILITY. LARGE PERCENTAGE OF RESIDENTS COME FOR THE SATISFACTION OF THE LEGAL SYSTEM AND DON'T CARE. THIS EFFECTS OTHERS THAT ARE SERIOUS ABOUT THEIR RECOVERY. PAY YOUR STAFF MORE..THEY MIGHT CARE MORE ABOUT THE LIVES THAT ARE TRYING TO BE SAVED. YOUR MEDICAL PROGRAM IS TERRIBLE. PEOPLE THAT COME INTO YOU FACILITY ARE LEGALLY SICK BY DEFINITION AND MOST HAVE PHYSICAL PROBLEMS. EXTREMELY INADEQUATE AND A SENSE OF "WE DON'T CARE" ON THE MEDICAL SIDE. STOP ADMITTING REPEAT OFFENDERS WITH MULTIPLE TRIPS TO THIS FACILITY.

The facility is beautiful, and staff are great

it is next door to a job corp which I find kind of strange, but the facility is nice

This isn't a treatment center, it is a transition center for criminals. It's dirty, cold and the staff treats you like a criminal... you are expected to do "chores" such as cleaning the toilets. They made more mistakes than I can list here. Regarding the food: It is slopped on a well used plastic tray. Typical meal is bologna and cheese, canned beans, salisbury steak, canned peaches, frozen processed chicken patties, turkey hotdogs. Overheard from people there, "This is worse than jail food", "This is one step up from jail food". If you don't have to go to treatment to get out of jail or stay out of jail, find another place to go! Otherwise, you will just be doing time and not getting treatment.

All the psych department did was MANDATORILY make me take my antidepressant meds. If not - I would get "points" taken awayAfter behaving for a number of days - you get the advantage of going out on walks in the beautiful area and also to play some sports and do arts and crafts. We also were able to leave the facility to go to AA, NA or CA meetings and have REAL CAFFEINATED coffee. It was worth the cost because I needed to get away from my daily life of hell, but also at the same time it was not worth the cost because I didn't receive treatmen that I think I needed.

When i got to PCN I thought it was going to be easy to fake it but the staff at PCN was a lil smarter then I thought and called me on my stuff and helped me work through hard times and gave me a better understanding of my addiction, I will forever be thankful for their help and support because of going to PCN I will be celebrating six months on June 21, 2014. I'm still clean and sober and there is no cost to great to achieve that

The Evergreen at NorthPoint
  • Partial Hospitalization (PHP)
  • 40 Beds