Recovery Unplugged in Fort Lauderdale, FL

915 Middle River Drive Suite 114
Fort Lauderdale FL 33304

Recovery Unplugged Philosophy

At Recovery Unplugged, clients are encouraged to utilize creativity as a means of grappling with their addictions. Through the practices of lyric writing, musical performance, and musical recording, individuals are exposed to novel tools for promoting lifelong sobriety and maintaining lasting recovery. Through both residential treatment and outpatient services, clients are also provided with traditional recovery resources such as 12-Step groups and cognitive behavioral therapy. Holistic offerings include yoga, nature walks, swimming and gym sessions.

• Process Abuse Treatment
    Not all addictions involve mood-altering chemicals. The term “process addiction” describes the unhealthy use of behaviors (including eating, gambling, sexual activity, shopping, internet use, etc.) that has spiraled out of control and into the realm of addiction.

• Holistic Therapies
    Holistic therapeutic offerings are incorporated into each client’s daily routine for mental, physical, and spiritual wellness. Individuals are invited to participate in morning meditation, beach yoga, recreational activities, therapeutic relaxation, and more.

Accepts most major insurance companies

Music-Based Rehabilitation

Aftercare Plans and Post-Treatment Assistance

Paul Pellinger

Chief Strategy Officer

Paul is a legend in addiction treatment with a career that spans over 20 years. He has worked as a counselor, manager, court appointed liaison, and consultant. Over the years Paul has helped open some of the most successful treatment facilities in South Florida, along with providing career changing opportunities to those whom share the same passion of helping those in need. As Chief Strategy Officer, Paul brings his years of wisdom and insight directly to Recovery Unplugged staff and clients.

David R. Kramer M.D.

Psychiatrist

Dr. Kramer is a General psychiatrist Board-Certified by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology. David completed his undergraduate studies at Cornell University. He received his Medical degree with honors at the University of South Florida and completed his Psychiatry training at the University of Pennsylvania. He has been in private practice in South Florida since 1997. He has broad experience in the treatment of mood and anxiety disorders, addiction, post-traumatic stress, and behavioral disorders. In addition, he has extensive experience in psychopharmacology and brief, cognitively-based psychotherapy, and the assessment and treatment of substance abuse disorders. He has served as Medical Director of several residential treatment programs and has been a member of the medical staff at several local psychiatric in-patient facilities. Dr. Kramer is dedicated to the practice of thoughtful, client-informed psychiatric medication treatment

ABOUT RECOVERY UNPLUGGED - FLORIDA

Recovery Unplugged offers men and women struggling with drug and alcohol addiction the opportunity to pursue recovery by participating in music-based and traditional therapy. The flagship facility in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., provides multiple levels of outpatient therapy along with nearby supportive housing. It is among 44 percent of substance abuse treatment facilities throughout the state that offer intensive outpatient treatment; it is one of the 181 (25.3 percent) of Florida treatment centers that offer partial hospitalization.

Medically-supervised detox services and residential treatment are available at the organization's Austin, Texas, location.

Treatment at Recovery Unplugged is founded on the idea that “music chemically alters our body and makes us feel great.” Each client works through a personalized plan of treatment, which includes education about music. Throughout the rehabilitative process, clients write, study, produce, and perform music, even though some may never have played an instrument before beginning the program and others come with extensive experience.

Evidence-based treatment modalities are integrated into the program, which incorporates individual and group counseling sessions, as well as fitness therapies such as yoga and nature walks. Both cognitive behavioral therapy and 12-step concepts are applied. Clients who are experiencing co-occurring substance use and mental health disorders address these interrelated challenges.

Three levels of outpatient treatment are offered: standard outpatient program (OP), where clients attend sessions on-site multiple times a week; intensive outpatient program (IOP), which meets more frequently; and partial hospitalization program (PHP), which enables clients to attend day and evening sessions throughout the week while living in off-site housing shared with others in the Recovery Unplugged community.

Aftercare includes counseling and help preparing for work and sober living beyond rehab. Family involvement in the recovery process is encouraged and arranged individually.

The program’s director of creative recovery is a successful musician with more than 25 years in recovery. Clinical staff members include doctors, registered nurses, primary therapist, and several master’s level therapists.

The center is one of the 192 (26.8 percent) of Florida treatment centers that are accredited by The Joint Commission.

The center has a capacity for 32 clients. Located about one mile from the Atlantic Ocean, the setting is described as safe, serene, and comfortable in a resort-style environment. Some clients choose to stay at local sober-living facilities, where they have access to a swimming pool, modern kitchens, semi-private bedrooms, on-site security, and transportation to and from the treatment center.

Alumni submitted largely positive feedback about Recovery Unplugged to Rehabs.com to date: 20 positive reviews, two mixed, and two negative.

The four who responded to the Rehabs.com survey would recommend the program to others and offered more detailed impressions on selected metrics:

Cleanliness: 4.5/5
Level of Staff Training and Experience: 4.3/5
Exercise and Leisure: 3.3/5
Connectivity: 3/5
Holistic Offerings: 2.8/5

Several reviewers reported they had attended other programs, but acquired the tools they needed to change their life at Recovery Unplugged. They noted how the musical component of the program set it apart from others. They praised the dedicated staff and the center’s client-centric approach, which one former client expressed as a: “Dynamic program that cares about the clients.”

The two negative reviews cited not enough holistic offerings and rundown accommodations for men. Other isolated criticism concerned lack of organization, adequate staffing, and one-on-one therapy.

On secondary sites, reviewers offered highly positive feedback to date: 4.9 out of five stars based on 118 reviews on Google; 4.7 stars based on 336 reviews on Facebook, which the organization can from seven reviews that are not currently recommended on Yelp. [1] [2] [3] [4] Comments that accompanied the perfect and near-perfect ratings addressed the “amazing” staff that goes far and beyond, caring atmosphere, and powerful use of music to help achieve recovery. In a representative review, Matt on Google wrote: “The music and artistic element just adds to the already phenomenal experience you’ll gain at Recovery Unplugged.”

Five loved ones submitted largely favorable feedback about the center to date with four positive reviews and one negative. Similar to alumni, these reviewers cited longstanding struggles their loved ones had with addiction, which Recovery Unplugged help resolve. They commended the program and the unique musical approach to “mak[ing] recovery fun” as strengths.

In contrast, K.M.K., the negative reviewer, cited problems with the facility’s handling of finances and insurance.

Three staff members submitted exemplary feedback about the center to Rehabs.com to date. They rated the major categories of the Rehabs.com survey – treatment effectiveness, accommodations and amenities, and meals and nutrition – perfect five out of five stars. One staff member who graduated from the program several years ago wrote: “The staff takes pride in the work they do and tries to utilize music in a variety of ways which allow clients to truly open up, get honest, and begin their recovery with passion.”

Recovery Unplugged accepts most major insurance policies including Aetna, Blue Cross Blue Shield, and Cigna.

[2] https://www.facebook.com/pg/RecoveryUnplugged/reviews/?ref=page_internal

[3] https://www.yelp.com/biz/recovery-unplugged-fort-lauderdale-fort-lauderdale-2

[4]https://www.yelp.com/notrecommendedreviews/recovery-unplugged-fort-lauderdale-fort-lauderdale-2

Published on April 2019

DS

My son is at RU Fort Lauderdale now. I am impressed with the staff, esp. They have stayed in constant contact with me. I recommend sending your loved one who is suffering from Substance Use Disorder to RU.

Ronnie

My treatment here was beyond any expectations I had prior to arriving. From the admissions, to intake, to care during my stay. The music aspect of this program is what drew me in and it was an integral part of my treatment. I would recommend this program to anyone dealing with addiction issues in their life.

AW

Our family is eternally grateful to the staff of Recovery Unplugged for facilitating our son's (so far) recovery from opiate addiction. Upon the first call, we were supported and all obstacles were removed so that my son could be admitted and treated. We were given respect and consideration throughout the process. It was the first time, in a long time that we could take a deep breath. We were especially impressed by an extensive and effective 3 day family program. I would recommend Recovery Unplugged, Ft Lauderdale to any and all in need.

AJD

I would be very careful sending a loved one to this facility. This place is constantly concerned about how good a policy pays and how much they can profit from the addict. I would know from personal experience. The catered lunches are decent. The living areas are disgusting and run down. The treatment model is a sham.

Jj

Going to miss Recovery Unplugged!! Music makes it more engaging!

Kra

Daughter went here after several places. She is worse than ever. Very uncaring staff. General workers have more compassion for the client and family. No follow up no call how she is doing nothing very disappointed

Gabrielle

My first attempt to go to rehab and it’s changed my life for the better. In this program you can recover from old patterns of thinking or behaviors and begin to enjoy life fully. I wish I had been able to stay longer but I completed the program and am committed to fill the voids or problems with real solutions. I feel like a new person; the music was a part of it and it connected me to the outside and helped me process it. Being in every day society that is filled with crime and corruption, recovery unplugged boosted my confidence to be able to confront the Real addiction itself and completely resolve it. The people are very compassionate and promoted a safe environment where you can be free to decide to not want to use and get clean. I think it was a great idea that I went there to get help as m first rehab I’ve been to it’s my first choice. The dedication and energy taken to build a network of people who want to live beautiful successful lives free of addiction or destructive influences. The location is nice I never felt unsafe and was able to stay on scholarship which has made my progress toward better friends bigger plans and happier times. The alumni kept in contact and are there should I need support. Good people!!! Great place!! Helpful doctors and dedicated team of people.

Robert

First class all the way. The experience is second to none. The musical aspect is what sets RU apart from everyone out there.

Melissa

Using music to help in recovery is a phenomenal idea. It definitely helped me.

Victoria

I attended this facility in 2015, have stayed clean since, and now work for this amazing center. I had been to other treatment centers prior to coming to Recovery Unplugged and never felt as cared for or connected to my recovery than ever before. The staff takes pride in the work they do and tries to utilize music in a variety of ways which allow clients to truly open up, get honest, and begin their recovery with passion. I have recommended many friends to come here who have all had very similar, positive experiences. Recovery Unplugged is a family and you can feel that the second you get here.

Naomi

Loving, caring, professional, supportive, effective

Jim

Having worked at some of the best facilities in South Florida I can tell you that Recovery Unplugged stands alone at the top in terms of client care, creativity and setting the standard for all other facilities to follow.

Allen

Very good. Strengths: Ability to change lives. Weaknesses: Wish it was longer

Ron

staff was like a family

PAM

Great facility. After 3 other treatment centers, he went to Recovery Unplugged and now has over 2 years sober! �One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain� ~ Bob Marley

NM

Recovery Unplugged is the best facility I have been associated with in 35 years of practice. The staff from admissions to discharge are highly focused on meeting the specific needs of clients.

ST

Really helped my coworker’s sister. She went to a lot of programs before but couldn’t stay clean. She looks amazing now. This program made such a difference.

Erin

Great experience for first time treatment with an all around expert staff, amazing and overall therapy. Highly recommend, especially for the music lovers.

Michael

Place is amazing!! Great staff,They REALLY care!!

AMJ

Recovery Unplugged help my loved one, who had struggled for 9 years with addiction, heal and recover. The success I have seen in her life today was made possible with the help of Recovery Unplugged and their program.

Klifton S. Fehr

Dynamic program that cares about the clients. Staff have heats the size of overgrown pumpkins and words of encouragement and support that moves mountains. Treatment team constantly talks about the clients seeking ways of stretching, reaching and growing all of the clients on site and those who have yet to arrive. Here, at this program, THIS IS CLIENT CENTERED TREATMENT.

Andy

I really felt as though the entire staff genuinely cared about my well being. Other treatment centers I had been to, I got the therapy but it seemed like the staff was over loaded with work and couldn't provide me with the individualized care I needed. The music component was awesome as well! The residence was a nice play to come back to after a long day and relax. All around great place

JHM

Ya know I thought this music thing was a big joke when I first heard abour recovery unplugged. I couldn't have been more wrong. The reality is addict or non addict we all connect to different types to music. As an addict my biggest problem was learning how connect with myself and find my own identity. Recovery unplugged gave me opportunity to do just that. The living residence was great. It's right by the beach, they have a pool, and I got to use the phone!!!

Jennifer B

I was really scared to get help because I was drinking and using drugs for a long time. My family did an intervention on me and then sent me to Recovery Unplugged in Florida. I felt welcome the minute I arrived and made me feel like I was part of a family. I am not a musician but I really like music so it was a good way to get me to open up about things and feel calm. I was mad at my family for sending me all the way to Florida for treatment but I am very appreciative now that they did it. My therapist did Family therapy with us and I got to tell my family about a lot of things that I kept inside for years. It helped us have a stronger relationship and opened up the communication with us. I would tell anyone who is struggling to come here and give it a shot like I did.

Cam Cam

I got to Recovery Unplugged broken and desperate. They were able to reach me in a way other centers could not. No other place offers and encourages music so it was much different than what I was used to and I truly believe it was what I needed. I never knew the way music could affect a person until they pointed out just how to use it to my advantage. Thank you Recovery Unplugged staff, I owe my time I have now to you and my higher power!!

J. D.

I enjoyed the The yoga sessions on the beach, meditation that was brought in once a week to the facility, recovery unplugged also offered to take clients to a gym weekly to work out, I was also able to learn how to go grocery shopping on my own something that I haven't done in a very long time. The partial hospitalization in which recovery unplugged models there treatment after was a good way to keep me both in the community but also at the same time in a safe secure treatment atmosphere. Do use of music really allowed me to tap into other areas of my feelings and emotions that I would not have been able to otherwise access through regular talk therapy. Listening to certain songs or motivational speech is allowed me to think outside of the box to better communicate my feelings. The clinical staff for recovery unplugged was far better than I had ever experienced at any treatment facility previously to this one. The clinical start truly has your best interest At heart. My counselor really helped me work through issues surrounding family problems something that I had struggled with for a very long time. Upon leaving recovery unplugged I feel like I had gained the necessary tools in order to go back out into the world to maintain positive and successful recovery from alcohol and drugs. The only one weakness that I would probably point out the recovery unplugged had was the black a family group. However I wouldn't say this is a weakness as a lot of the people who were at recovery unplugged were from areas outside of Fort Lauderdale in southern Florida. Most people are from the East Coast some people as far away is Alaska came to treatment and recovery unplugged us making it a little difficult to engage in family therapy sessions while at recovery unplugged. This treatment center is unlike any other facility I've gone to. Their unique approach to therapy through the means of music allowed me to tap into emotions I wouldn't have been able to feel otherwise. The treatment team and clinical team truly have your best interest at heart throughout the course of treatment. The medical staff far exceeded my expectations when it came to treating my cooccuring disorders with psychiatric medicine. One of the more unique things that this treatment center does that differentiates themselves from other facilities is discharging people on the Vivitrol shot which adds another layer of insurance to prevent an addict or alcoholic from going back out on another run.

KMK

Six months ago I had a completely different thought about Recovery Unplugged. I truly thought they were about quality care and truly cared about the clients; today, I can say, it is the furthest from the truth. If you do not have health insurance with out of network benefits, you will not be accepted. This facility is all about money and nothing else. I interacted with several employees at the facility and everything was based around money. They bothered me daily about money and health insurance...Then to add insult to injury, they dismissed my family member with less than 72 hours notice over $1,000.00. I strongly encourage to not send any of your loved ones to a facility who only cares about money. I am very disappointed because I thought the facility was so much more than what they proved. I am educated on addiction and work in the field as a licensed counselor. My agency would have never treated a client this way. It is embarrassing to the agencies who truly care and put quality care over money.

We're profoundly sorry to read this. Recovery Unplugged is 100 percent committed to the care and success of our patients, and we do everything we can to work with their insurance providers. Any conversation about money is undertaken primarily for the purposes of maintaining our facilities, hiring the best personnel and making sure we can treat as many patients as effectively as possible. We wish you continued success in your recovery.

KB

Using music and activities to make recovery fun. Great staff

JD

They only show pictures of the womens house. The mens house is run down and a moldy disaster. Then they invite you to their halfway house after 90 day... Anyways, the place is a mess and disaster. I much rather go elsewhere

Natalie

I have been to treatment several times and I never cared what happened to me during my relapses and runs. I came to RU as a last minute effort to make my family happy and to get them off my back. To my surprise, I stayed and was able to get back into a hobby I sacrificed in order to get high: creating music. The one on one therapy was at first non existence but once I said something I met with my therapist alot. Groups were fun and forced me to grow up and deal with my issues This place is magical and I graduated to the half way and npw enjoying the IOP only negative is when it gets full it is chaotic but so worth staying

J

After searching North, South, East and West through out the continental United States, i found the place. As a dedicated spouse my wife means the world to me. I knew for years it would come down to legal intervention. The reason her drinking and thinking was getting out of hand. So far out in the field that I could not let her loose life itself. I interviewed other places only to be bombarded with sales calls dailey. Sometimes multiple times in a day with care for my wife, who\'s name they could not remember. A majority wanted to place my wife in areas, neighborhoods where she could never walk alone. Than a friend who\'s son went through recovery with Recovery Unplugged mentioned their location and concept of therapy. It fit in perfectly with what in my mind I had prayed for in respect to my wifes future. I am sure that there are a few throughout America that are equal. It would have to be a place specializing in personal elite to surpass RU. Than I do not believe the outcome would be as beneficial as what is offered in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.

Unique treatment focus. Caring accessible staff Too much time not spent on direct treatment Engaging concept. Helps you experience fun while sober

Tim

Not enough individual therapy. To focused on certain individuals. There census grew to large and not enough staff. Very chaotic atmosphere. To much emphasis on watching music videos.

Please accept our apologies for your experience. We place an incredibly high premium on individualized counseling and do everything we can to make sure each patient has the attention they need. We wish you the best of luck on your recovery journey and please let us know if you need any additional assistance.

Kelsie

I absolutely loved Recovery Unplugged. I learned a lot and I have no doubt it helped shape who I am today.

pat

I\'ve been to so many treatment centers that have never worked for me and Recovery Unplugged is literally the best treatment I have ever been to, hands down. I could never make it two-weeks coming out of treatment without relapsing and I am still sober since I left the program and I am coming up on 90 days now. It\'s a miracle how much this program helped me. The way that they use music as a form of therapy is amazing especially since I have a passion for making music. Recovery Unplugged helped me reform my style of music to make it positive, which I always had a problem with. I\'m not the type of person to even leave a review for a treatment center, but for Recovery Unplugged I really had to. This is the best program I have ever been to and I recommend it to anybody that needs the help. BEST TREATMENT CENTER EVER.

Kyle

The staff here are all extremely caring. Most are in recovery themselves so confiding in them feels very natural. Music as a means of therapy was a new experience for me and it was extremely effective. On multiple occasions music helped insight a form of personal growth or change in myself. The residences are nice and in a good location. Overall a terrific experience and I would recommend to anyone struggling with drugs or alcohol.

Roger

My overall experience was great. The combination of music therapy and the 12-Step principles offers a unique experience. The program not only helped me learn how to be clean, but how to have fun while being clean. The staff is incredible and will help you as much as they can. My entire experience was positive. The continuing care through iop and op offers an excellent follow-up to the inpatient program. I would recommend this program to anyone.

Brittany

They worked with me and my specific issues, along with groups and activities. They taught me a lot of tools to use for sobriety. The individual therapy was great; however, there were not enough holistic offerings.

We understand your issues with the program and are sorry you didn't receive enough holistic help. Our focus on music-based healing means that our program primarily operates along a singular therapeutic track. Thank you for voicing your concern and please let us know if there is anything we can do for you in the future. Best of luck in your recovery.