Recovery Unplugged in Fort Lauderdale, FL

915 Middle River Drive Suite 114
Fort Lauderdale FL 33304

Recovery Unplugged Philosophy

At Recovery Unplugged, clients are encouraged to utilize creativity as a means of grappling with their addictions. Through the practices of lyric writing, musical performance, and musical recording, individuals are exposed to novel tools for promoting lifelong sobriety and maintaining lasting recovery. Through both residential treatment and outpatient services, clients are also provided with traditional recovery resources such as 12-Step groups and cognitive behavioral therapy. Holistic offerings include yoga, nature walks, swimming and gym sessions.

• Process Abuse Treatment
    Not all addictions involve mood-altering chemicals. The term “process addiction” describes the unhealthy use of behaviors (including eating, gambling, sexual activity, shopping, internet use, etc.) that has spiraled out of control and into the realm of addiction.

• Holistic Therapies
    Holistic therapeutic offerings are incorporated into each client’s daily routine for mental, physical, and spiritual wellness. Individuals are invited to participate in morning meditation, beach yoga, recreational activities, therapeutic relaxation, and more.

Supplemental Therapies

Music-Based Modalities

Top of the line recording studio

Paul Pellinger

Chief Strategy Officer

Paul is a legend in addiction treatment with a career that spans over 20 years. He has worked as a counselor, manager, court appointed liaison, and consultant. Over the years Paul has helped open some of the most successful treatment facilities in South Florida, along with providing career changing opportunities to those whom share the same passion of helping those in need. As Chief Strategy Officer, Paul brings his years of wisdom and insight directly to Recovery Unplugged staff and clients.

David R. Kramer M.D.

Psychiatrist

Dr. Kramer is a General psychiatrist Board-Certified by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology. David completed his undergraduate studies at Cornell University. He received his Medical degree with honors at the University of South Florida and completed his Psychiatry training at the University of Pennsylvania. He has been in private practice in South Florida since 1997. He has broad experience in the treatment of mood and anxiety disorders, addiction, post-traumatic stress, and behavioral disorders. In addition, he has extensive experience in psychopharmacology and brief, cognitively-based psychotherapy, and the assessment and treatment of substance abuse disorders. He has served as Medical Director of several residential treatment programs and has been a member of the medical staff at several local psychiatric in-patient facilities. Dr. Kramer is dedicated to the practice of thoughtful, client-informed psychiatric medication treatment

ABOUT RECOVERY UNPLUGGED - FLORIDA

Recovery Unplugged offers men and women who are struggling with drug and alcohol addiction the opportunity to pursue recovery by participating in music-based and traditional therapy. The flagship facility in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., provides multiple levels of outpatient therapy along with nearby supportive housing. Medically supervised detoxification services and residential treatment are available at the program’s Austin, Texas location.

Specialized treatment at Recovery Unplugged is founded on the idea that “music chemically alters our body and makes us feel great,” according to the facility’s website. Each client works through a personalized plan of treatment, which includes education about music. Throughout the rehabilitative process, clients write, study, produce, and perform music. Some participants have never played an instrument before beginning the program and others come with extensive experience.

Integrated with music therapy are other evidence-based treatment modalities. Every treatment program incorporates individual and group counseling sessions, as well as fitness therapies such as yoga and nature walks. Both cognitive behavioral therapy and 12-step concepts are applied. Clients who are experiencing co-occurring substance use and mental health disorders, including depression, anxiety, and PTSD, receive dual diagnosis treatment to address interrelated challenges.

At the Florida facility, three levels of outpatient treatment are offered. In the standard outpatient program, clients attend sessions on-site multiple times a week; the intensive outpatient program meets more frequently. The facility’s website does not specify a typical number of days or hours involved for these levels of care, but does indicate that the program length is one month.

Individuals seeking a more comprehensive rehab experience may participate in the “partial hospitalization” program, during which clients attend day and evening sessions throughout the week while living in off-site housing shared with others in the Recovery Unplugged community.

Aftercare includes counseling and help preparing for work and sober living beyond rehab. Family involvement in the recovery process is encouraged and arranged individually in collaboration between the client and their counselor.

The program’s director of creative recovery is a successful musician with more than 25 years in recovery. Clinical staff members including a doctor and registered nurse both board certified in psychiatry, several master’s level therapists, and a certified Gestalt therapist.

The Fort Lauderdale center has a capacity for 32 clients at a time. Located about one mile from the Atlantic, the setting is described as safe, serene, and comfortable in a resort-style environment.

Some clients choose to stay at local sober-living facilities, where they have access to a swimming pool, modern kitchens, semi-private bedrooms, on-site security, and transportation to and from the treatment center. Photographs on the facilities website feature beautiful, tropical landscaping and plush furnishings.

All four former clients surveyed by Rehabs.com at the time of this writing would recommend the program to others. Five additional alumni submitted reviews, most of which were also favorable, with some caveats. A metric measuring the effectiveness of treatment received an average rating of 3.8 out of five based on eight responses. Several reviewers reported that they acquired tools and changed in positive ways while in treatment, including learning how to have fun while sober.

One alum, Tim, characterized the program as understaffed and chaotic, and Natalie agreed. Two others reported disappointment with the limited one-on-one therapy provided, although Brittany identified individual counseling as a strength, writing: “They worked with me and my specific issues.” Bridging the gap was a comment by Natalie, noting that when she expressed concern about access to counseling, the number of meetings increased.

Asked to rate the level of staff training and experience on a scale of one to five, the four alumni polled gave an average rating of 4.25. Three reviewers described the staff as caring and helpful.

Just one alum submitted a negative review, citing rundown housing. On the other hand, the four alumni polled gave an average rating of 4.5 for the facility’s cleanliness and upkeep. Three of four alumni polled also indicated that treatment was affordable or worth its cost.

Two out of three loved ones who submitted reviews to Rehabs.com were pleased with the program. K.B. could identify no weaknesses and cited the staff and unique approach to “mak[ing] recovery fun” as strengths. Another loved one, J., reported that Recovery Unplugged was a beneficial experience for his wife and noted that it came recommended by a friend whose family member had also attended. By contrast, K.M.K. cited problems with the facility’s handling of finances and insurance.

According to the facility’s website, Recovery Unplugged accepts most major insurance policies.

Published on June 2017

Recovery Unplugged help my loved one, who had struggled for 9 years with addiction, heal and recover. The success I have seen in her life today was made possible with the help of Recovery Unplugged and their program.

Dynamic program that cares about the clients. Staff have heats the size of overgrown pumpkins and words of encouragement and support that moves mountains. Treatment team constantly talks about the clients seeking ways of stretching, reaching and growing all of the clients on site and those who have yet to arrive. Here, at this program, THIS IS CLIENT CENTERED TREATMENT.

I really felt as though the entire staff genuinely cared about my well being. Other treatment centers I had been to, I got the therapy but it seemed like the staff was over loaded with work and couldn't provide me with the individualized care I needed. The music component was awesome as well! The residence was a nice play to come back to after a long day and relax. All around great place

Ya know I thought this music thing was a big joke when I first heard abour recovery unplugged. I couldn't have been more wrong. The reality is addict or non addict we all connect to different types to music. As an addict my biggest problem was learning how connect with myself and find my own identity. Recovery unplugged gave me opportunity to do just that. The living residence was great. It's right by the beach, they have a pool, and I got to use the phone!!!

I was really scared to get help because I was drinking and using drugs for a long time. My family did an intervention on me and then sent me to Recovery Unplugged in Florida. I felt welcome the minute I arrived and made me feel like I was part of a family. I am not a musician but I really like music so it was a good way to get me to open up about things and feel calm. I was mad at my family for sending me all the way to Florida for treatment but I am very appreciative now that they did it. My therapist did Family therapy with us and I got to tell my family about a lot of things that I kept inside for years. It helped us have a stronger relationship and opened up the communication with us. I would tell anyone who is struggling to come here and give it a shot like I did.

I got to Recovery Unplugged broken and desperate. They were able to reach me in a way other centers could not. No other place offers and encourages music so it was much different than what I was used to and I truly believe it was what I needed. I never knew the way music could affect a person until they pointed out just how to use it to my advantage. Thank you Recovery Unplugged staff, I owe my time I have now to you and my higher power!!

I enjoyed the The yoga sessions on the beach, meditation that was brought in once a week to the facility, recovery unplugged also offered to take clients to a gym weekly to work out, I was also able to learn how to go grocery shopping on my own something that I haven't done in a very long time. The partial hospitalization in which recovery unplugged models there treatment after was a good way to keep me both in the community but also at the same time in a safe secure treatment atmosphere. Do use of music really allowed me to tap into other areas of my feelings and emotions that I would not have been able to otherwise access through regular talk therapy. Listening to certain songs or motivational speech is allowed me to think outside of the box to better communicate my feelings. The clinical staff for recovery unplugged was far better than I had ever experienced at any treatment facility previously to this one. The clinical start truly has your best interest At heart. My counselor really helped me work through issues surrounding family problems something that I had struggled with for a very long time. Upon leaving recovery unplugged I feel like I had gained the necessary tools in order to go back out into the world to maintain positive and successful recovery from alcohol and drugs. The only one weakness that I would probably point out the recovery unplugged had was the black a family group. However I wouldn't say this is a weakness as a lot of the people who were at recovery unplugged were from areas outside of Fort Lauderdale in southern Florida. Most people are from the East Coast some people as far away is Alaska came to treatment and recovery unplugged us making it a little difficult to engage in family therapy sessions while at recovery unplugged. This treatment center is unlike any other facility I've gone to. Their unique approach to therapy through the means of music allowed me to tap into emotions I wouldn't have been able to feel otherwise. The treatment team and clinical team truly have your best interest at heart throughout the course of treatment. The medical staff far exceeded my expectations when it came to treating my cooccuring disorders with psychiatric medicine. One of the more unique things that this treatment center does that differentiates themselves from other facilities is discharging people on the Vivitrol shot which adds another layer of insurance to prevent an addict or alcoholic from going back out on another run.

Six months ago I had a completely different thought about Recovery Unplugged. I truly thought they were about quality care and truly cared about the clients; today, I can say, it is the furthest from the truth. If you do not have health insurance with out of network benefits, you will not be accepted. This facility is all about money and nothing else. I interacted with several employees at the facility and everything was based around money. They bothered me daily about money and health insurance...Then to add insult to injury, they dismissed my family member with less than 72 hours notice over $1,000.00. I strongly encourage to not send any of your loved ones to a facility who only cares about money. I am very disappointed because I thought the facility was so much more than what they proved. I am educated on addiction and work in the field as a licensed counselor. My agency would have never treated a client this way. It is embarrassing to the agencies who truly care and put quality care over money.

We're profoundly sorry to read this. Recovery Unplugged is 100 percent committed to the care and success of our patients, and we do everything we can to work with their insurance providers. Any conversation about money is undertaken primarily for the purposes of maintaining our facilities, hiring the best personnel and making sure we can treat as many patients as effectively as possible. We wish you continued success in your recovery.

Using music and activities to make recovery fun. Great staff

They only show pictures of the womens house. The mens house is run down and a moldy disaster. Then they invite you to their halfway house after 90 day... Anyways, the place is a mess and disaster. I much rather go elsewhere

I have been to treatment several times and I never cared what happened to me during my relapses and runs. I came to RU as a last minute effort to make my family happy and to get them off my back. To my surprise, I stayed and was able to get back into a hobby I sacrificed in order to get high: creating music. The one on one therapy was at first non existence but once I said something I met with my therapist alot. Groups were fun and forced me to grow up and deal with my issues This place is magical and I graduated to the half way and npw enjoying the IOP only negative is when it gets full it is chaotic but so worth staying

After searching North, South, East and West through out the continental United States, i found the place. As a dedicated spouse my wife means the world to me. I knew for years it would come down to legal intervention. The reason her drinking and thinking was getting out of hand. So far out in the field that I could not let her loose life itself. I interviewed other places only to be bombarded with sales calls dailey. Sometimes multiple times in a day with care for my wife, who's name they could not remember. A majority wanted to place my wife in areas, neighborhoods where she could never walk alone. Than a friend who's son went through recovery with Recovery Unplugged mentioned their location and concept of therapy. It fit in perfectly with what in my mind I had prayed for in respect to my wifes future. I am sure that there are a few throughout America that are equal. It would have to be a place specializing in personal elite to surpass RU. Than I do not believe the outcome would be as beneficial as what is offered in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.

Unique treatment focus. Caring accessible staff Too much time not spent on direct treatment Engaging concept. Helps you experience fun while sober

Not enough individual therapy. To focused on certain individuals. There census grew to large and not enough staff. Very chaotic atmosphere. To much emphasis on watching music videos.

Please accept our apologies for your experience. We place an incredibly high premium on individualized counseling and do everything we can to make sure each patient has the attention they need. We wish you the best of luck on your recovery journey and please let us know if you need any additional assistance.

I absolutely loved Recovery Unplugged. I learned a lot and I have no doubt it helped shape who I am today.

I've been to so many treatment centers that have never worked for me and Recovery Unplugged is literally the best treatment I have ever been to, hands down. I could never make it two-weeks coming out of treatment without relapsing and I am still sober since I left the program and I am coming up on 90 days now. It's a miracle how much this program helped me. The way that they use music as a form of therapy is amazing especially since I have a passion for making music. Recovery Unplugged helped me reform my style of music to make it positive, which I always had a problem with. I'm not the type of person to even leave a review for a treatment center, but for Recovery Unplugged I really had to. This is the best program I have ever been to and I recommend it to anybody that needs the help. BEST TREATMENT CENTER EVER.

The staff here are all extremely caring. Most are in recovery themselves so confiding in them feels very natural. Music as a means of therapy was a new experience for me and it was extremely effective. On multiple occasions music helped insight a form of personal growth or change in myself. The residences are nice and in a good location. Overall a terrific experience and I would recommend to anyone struggling with drugs or alcohol.

My overall experience was great. The combination of music therapy and the 12-Step principles offers a unique experience. The program not only helped me learn how to be clean, but how to have fun while being clean. The staff is incredible and will help you as much as they can. My entire experience was positive. The continuing care through iop and op offers an excellent follow-up to the inpatient program. I would recommend this program to anyone.

They worked with me and my specific issues, along with groups and activities. They taught me a lot of tools to use for sobriety. The individual therapy was great; however, there were not enough holistic offerings.

We understand your issues with the program and are sorry you didn't receive enough holistic help. Our focus on music-based healing means that our program primarily operates along a singular therapeutic track. Thank you for voicing your concern and please let us know if there is anything we can do for you in the future. Best of luck in your recovery.

Photo of Transformations Drug & Alcohol Treatment Center