Schick Shadel Hospital in Seattle, WA

Effective Alternative Approaches
Counter Conditioning Treatment
Continuing Care

ABOUT SCHICK SHADEL HOSPITAL

Located just 15 minutes from Seattle-Tacoma International Airport, Schick Shadel Hospital uses a non 12-step treatment approach to drug and alcohol addiction. Incorporating powerful behavior modification techniques with aversion therapy, individual counseling, minimal sedation, and relaxation therapies, the facility treats adult men and women in an inpatient setting. Medically monitored detox services are also available.

At the core of the center’s programming is the belief that addiction is a disease. “Individuals who suffer from drug and alcohol addiction need medical treatment, not a new mindset,” its website reads. Accordingly, the facility employs medical counter conditioning, or aversion therapy, which is divided into two categories: Emetic, or chemical intervention, which is generally used for alcohol counter conditioning; or Faradic, which is administered for patients when chemical counterconditioning is not advised.

Both approaches expose patients to the addictive substance, while also subjecting them to increasing discomfort. The assumption (and goal) is that patients will then associate the addictive substance with unpleasant physical reactions. This medically based aversion therapy takes 10 days (one of the facility’s oft-used mottos is “Give us ten days…we’ll give you back your life”).

Clients return after 30 and 90 days for follow-up sessions, which consist of overnight hospital stays (cost included in the initial treatment), counterconditioning treatment, interviewing under minimal sedation, group counseling, and education. The hospital also offers two years of aftercare support.

Treatment at Schick Shadel is delivered by board-certified physicians, as well as certified addiction counselors, therapists, a registered dietician, and a team of nurses.

Clients are pampered with a number of perks during their short stay. Both private and semi-private rooms are available, and each is equipped with a TV, DVD player, phone, and Wi-Fi. Personal cell phones and laptops are also permitted.

Three meals are provided each day, but clients have the option to order pizza or take-out on their own expense. Other amenities include a cozy lounge with movies and games, a library, an on-site gym, and a 24-hour snack bar. Smoking is permitted on a designated deck with a fire pit and heaters.

At the time of this writing there have been five alumni polled by Rehabs.com. The alumni gave the facility an average rating of 3.8 out of five stars for staff experience and training; for the fairness of the connectivity and visitor policies; for the ability of family/loved ones to participate in treatment through facility programming; and for the cleanliness of the facility. The alumni gave the lowest average rating of 2.4 out of five stars rating for high quality holistic offerings and 2.6 out of five stars for the affordability of the facility’s treatment program.

When asked about the facility’s strengths, one alum wrote “Caring staff, great lectures” and another wrote that the facility “targets specific addictions.” When asked about weaknesses an alum wrote, “Worked well, but is not affordable for everyone” while another alum simply wrote “Doesn't work.” When asked for commentary, an alum wrote, “Treatment is effective almost 4 years sober but it is very expensive”

At the time of this writing there has been 19 friend or family members of a client polled by Rehabs.com. The highest average rating for the facility, provided by friends and family members, was four out of five stars for the facility’s cleanliness. The loved ones all gave the facility a 3.6 out of five stars rating for leisure, exercise, and extracurricular options; for the fairness of the facility’s connectivity and visitor policies; and for the counseling options offered by the facility for clients to choose from based on their preferences. The lowest average rating given by the friends and family members for the facility was 3.1 out of five stars when asked if the facility had high quality holistic offerings.

When asked about the facility’s strengths, one loved one wrote “nice caring staff” while another loved one commented, “Short effective program.” When asked about weaknesses one family wrote, “Need more family involvement and follow-up.” and another added, “Counselors do not have enough experience treatment was short not enough information on specific addictions…” When asked for additional commentary, a sibling of a client wrote “Changed my brothers life around. Highly recommend” while another loved one wrote, “The cost is slighltly expensive but it is well worth it to get the type of help that they offer.”

Schick Shadel accepts most insurance plans, and also offers financial assistance by way of loans and flexible monthly payments through American Healthcare Lending. Clients and their families can also pay for treatment online, via the facility’s website.

Updated March 2017

Published on April 2017

location was great. Weaknesses included: digging deeper into why, expense drained an already impaired family by the drinker...son been 3 times and still no success, getting divorced, been fired, basically on the streets today Everyone has to pull for your loved ones success, mostly them, but family and staff as well

Paid $18,000 cash and then they requested $1000 more 4 months after leaving for only 10 day treatment. Medical Detox a joke, lay in bed for 3 days miserable. Not effective, drank after 10 months sober. Not clean accommodations,place is very ran down. Food and chefs were good, but any other amenities like 'gym' walking areas' inadequate. Would not recommend, do a longer stay somewhere else for less money. They just want bodies in beds is feeling I got. They actually have a sales girl to sell you facility. NOT good treatment center.

It has been 16 years since my husband entered yiur hospital for alcohol problems. We were close to ending a 40 year marriage. He had tried another program with no success. He said last night to me "when I finished my treatment I can honestly say I have never had the urge to drink." It took time for me to trust him but he has not had any alcohol since then. These 16 years have been among the happiest of my life. We have traveled,enjoyed grandchildren and are financially successful. I believe that we owe our happiness to schick center. Thanks for giving us back our lives

I was at the end of my rope, my demon was alcohol... I was desperate! It was either Schick Shadel or suicide. For me what they said about fixing my problem was exactly what happened, I was cured!! Now it's not like I'm white knuckling it, saying I've got twenty days sober. It's like Ive never had a drink, don't have problem, and I never even think about it except when I tell others about this wonderful place!!

It's an effective treatment. Cost way too much. Treatment is effective almost 4 years sober but it is very expensive

Provides a lot of group and one on way in order for you to succeed. The cost is slighltly expensive but it is well worth it to get the type of help that they offer

Great staff, clean facility. Location was an issue. The traffic/driven into Seattle is horrid. Changed my brothers life around. Highly recommend.

It seemed well run and to have a good program but I have nothing to compare it to. My brother went through treatment so I don't know much about it.

Support and caring were strengths but Food is not the best. They did a great job at helping and talking with people and helping overcome addictions

Well trained staff. Wish it looked less like a hospital. The counsellors and staff allowed for an open and honest environment. It was a comfortable place to share and come to terms with addiction.

Counseling was a strength. Relapse tendencies were a weakness. My relative recovered and is a nuisance to everyone now

Counselors and staff were well qualified and facility had a lot of amenities. The experience was great but she was just not ready to give up addiction.

Staff was very qualified and helpful. Also had great amenities.Facility was not successful in treating my aunts addiction. I believe this is a good facility, my aunt was not ready to give up her addiction.

There courtesy cleanly Ness and willingness to help you. Counselors do not have enough experience treatment was short not enough information on specific addictions that. The experience was OK staff was OK treatment was different and it first time walked out of treatment feeling on top of the world and then I could conquer the addiction later to find out that was not the truth they had no follow-ups

The treatment was a strength but it was costly.

Seems like it has worked with good follow up. My cousin just finished treatment and has failed three other treatment facilities. This time seems different and she is doing weel

Targets specific addictions but Costly. Worked well, but is not affordable for everyone

Friendly staff, needs more attention to detail. A place that really works

Kind Staff, It helped a lot with my relatives addiction problem and getting them on the right track.

My wife went twice. We spent $36000. First time, she stayed sober for over a year. She relapsed. Second time she wasn't sober for a month! She just went through the motions. Told yhem what they wanted to hear. They did NOT address her psychological issues at all! She came home sober but still the same demons that sent her there. They need MUCH more physiological therapy! I get it that she did not work the program, but I feel for $18000 they should be professionals and recognize and maybe advise the spouce that she hadn't been involved. I waded actin of money that we cannot afford.

My state of mind going in was... There was nothing more important to me than sobriety. Most people were in the same boat, they were motivated and single minded in their reason to be at SSH. I found success was easy for me after the program, but then again I didn't have a lot off issues waiting back home. If you have issues be ready to deal with them, SSH gives you an opportunity to deal with them while being sober. SSH provides suggestions for follow up counciling if you or your family needs it, don't ignore it start that process immediately. I tried to stop drinking before, and every time I tried it only got worse. In 10 days I had no cravings for alcohol for the first time in 15 years. The aversion therapy works, but you've got to want it, or you will waste your money because you walk right back to the bottle. "Don't take that 1st drink"

The greatest people are the nursing staff/treatment staff. They have to deal with a lot a furious pace. The head guy is very pompous. Walks around head held high, very prudish and almost scoffing. Price is absurd for 1970 remodeled building. Fellow patients were cool and of variety. I bought into it, cried and shared everything's. Counselors made good points, but don't know how many lines mine. I've been twice. One of the staff members is cool, but says exact same thing every time. I remarried as well as the two buddies I kept contact with within 3 weeks. Aversion therapy is real, but seriously they can't legitimately claim their absurd success rate ( although the admin will do there best to tell you how cool they are). Admin needs some humble pie.

This place wAs far better then most out. There. The. Food was great..you can you can have the chef cook something for you. There's always fresh fruit & love the coffee/soda bar. You share a room with a bathroom. They do have private rooms. SS is very clean. There is a cleaning lady that comes everyday to make your bed @ clean your room. The program has a high success rate, even though the techniques seem strange. There are female & male but you can't talk to each other for to long bcause you will get written up & kicked out if you get written up more then once. Could you some activitys other then 2 groups per day & if you have counseling, that's another session.

5 years sober. There is no better way than this to break free from adiction

There is a basic reason why Schick Shadel only has one facility in the country left (in the eighties they were n to only in WA, but also in CA, TX and FL - No Longer) - essentially, because their program is completely ineffective. It tends to attract primarily over-middle-aged men - over 55 or so - who tend to be extremely naive r.e. attaining sobriety - sobriety is 'no so simple' - and once you leave the facility, the counselors will *never* return phone calls r.e. getting further psychotherapy/psychiatry referrals - This is a horrible institution - not recommended - from experience.

Have had multiple experiences with Schick Shadel and many other rehabs, unfortunately. They do have a separate detox unit from their 10-day notorious program. I did the full program several years ago, and the program is still the same essentially. It simply did not work for me - although I have seen it work for other people. Honestly I have had to attend subsequent traditional 28-day programs, sober living for over a year, etc. after Schick - Shcick simply did not work for me. I do believe in the overall concept, and anyone who has the desire to get sober will do so- here, or a fancy program, church, AA - wherever. That's the bottom line - do what works for you. I find personally that continued social support is the key factor in getting sober - Schick does not offer this - you are on your own after treatment.

It was short term. I have been to 4 treatment centers and I don't believe any of them works, including this one!

It is well known; however, it was $10,000 and did not work.

They have a nice, caring staff. However, they have an unpleasant treatment program. I have no personal experience. All I KNOW IS WHAT SOMEONE TOLD ME.

2 years today since I had a drink. This place has the best program.

Treatment worked so far. Needs more after release counseling. This is for drastic rehab. It is difficult but so far it has worked.

Short and efficient program. Not sure of the outcome yet.

Caring staff and great lectures. I had a great experience overall. However, they had poor follow-up communication after leaving the facility.

Had a hard time finding what made my husband tick, therefore was not successful. It just didn't fit our situation.

My cousin went to treatment here, and he's been drug free since.

Overall, pleased but would like to see more sessions to involve family and how things should change once the person comes home and resumes normal life. It was an effective treatment.

They rate their effectiveness on follow up calls to the patient. Asking the patient if they relapsed. What do you think most people say? Just went through the motions and repeated lectures. It was an ineffectual program.

This was my fourth rehab. I've now been sober for almost 4 years. Love Schick Shadel!

Not a 12 step program, education and counseling is excellent, aversion therapy. It worked.

By far the best place to go when you want to quit ruining your life. I was treated for heroin and meth and weed and now have my life back. I'm free from any craving of heroin and my kids couldn't be any happier. They teach you how to love yourself and deal with your problems without drugs and alcohol while making the cravings go away! Love everyone there and they all really care about you getting your life back!

I spent two weeks in SSH. Before getting there I had to drink or I would have died. I wanted to stop drinking, but I was too physically dependent on it to quit. I was drinking a half gallon of whisky a day, and had been for about 3 years straight. I arrived at the hospital at a .24 blood alcohol level. The admin person could not tell I was even drunk, until I blew in that machine. The treatment worked for me! I did not need all the councling and explained that to them. My life was great other than my body needing alcohol. I needed a way to stop drinking with out dying! Once the treatment got me detoxed for the first time in 20 years (probably), I knew that my body did not have to have alcohol any more. Well my life is still great and I thank Schick Shadel for saving it! Still sober for almost a year and a half and just do not want to drink! Thanks for not letting alcohol kill me!

My fiancé went here for a meth addiction and left with a meth addiction. Except, now he was sickened at the thought of smoking it.

After trying to quit on my own for 6 years I spent 10 days plus the follow ups here and havent had even an urge to drink since. Its been 1 year and 2 months but the demon has finally been shut up. Thank God for SSH

2 years after going to Schick Shadel Hospital I am still sober and smell of booze makes me physical ill. Now here is the deal, the program works and I am greatful, but don't expect any support after your done with the program. I have called several counslers at Shick Shadel Hospital to check in and they will never call you back. Seems like once they have been paid they no longer are interested in your recovery or how you are doing. Very sad, very sad.

My husband has done the 12 step program twice. Each time, he came back angry and mean. He relapsed both times. When he went to Schick Shadel, he came home happy, full of life and nice to be around. He adapted to life without alcohol smoothly and quickly. It was such a completely different experience and was worth it 200%. I have my husband back! He is going on 8 years soon!

I do not respond well to aversion therapy. Aversion therapy isn't for everyone - choose the treatment regimen carefully.

Did not help my daughter and I disagree with the forced aversion therapy approach. The program is based on strong aversion therapy. The staff are great though. She was drinking and suicidal again within a month and has never recovered.

It seemed to get our friend clean.

It seemed to work

I thought it was a great facility. It works.

You have to be committed to giving up your addiction. Been clean ever since.

Felt safe at Schick Shadel. Helped me get clean.

Program worked for me.

While I did check myself I wanted desperately to leave for several days. This place saved my life. The food isn't the best, there wasn't yoga, but I left clean and sober.

All they want is money.

Aversion Therapy is used at Schick Shadel Hospital. My life was changed the moment I walked through their front doors. It has been over 6 1/2 years since I seaked treatment. I have moved forward everyday because I choose to. I just graduated from George Fox University (In Oregon) with my Bachelor's degree December 2013.

They did an excellent job with taking away my urges to drink so I could move on and fix my life. They went a direction I was looking for and took my craving away.

Successful treatment comes from the individuals understanding and commitment to change

I would prefer something more counseling-based vs. aversion therapy. It was extremely effective for my friend and the approach that worked best for her. While I think this facility was successful in accomplishing its goal, it was very short-term. I supported my friend emotionally, made her feel ok about facing her problems, and helped her transition to a new sober social life.

A Better Today Recovery Services
  • Nutrition & Life Skills
  • Dual Diagnosis Treatmen
  • Aftercare
Sunspire Health Astoria Pointe
  • Detox
  • Intensive Outpatient Program (IOP)