The Menninger Clinic in Houston, TX

12301 Main Street
Houston TX 77035

The Menninger Clinic Philosophy

Menninger is a mental health care system for all ages, including dual disorders/addictions.

• Adolescent Treatment Program
    Menninger’s Adolescent Treatment Program (ATP) treats adolescents ages 12-17 who have complex psychiatric disorders or co-occurring disorders, that is, a psychiatric disorder coupled with substance abuse or dependence. The program has 15 beds.

• Compass Program for Young Adults
    The Menninger Clinic's Compass Program for Young Adults (Compass) serves young adults, ages 18 to 30, who are having problems managing the transition from adolescence to adulthood. This inpatient treatment program lasts six to eight weeks.

Continuing Education

Training Programs

Menninger Training Program Alumni

C. Edward Coffey, M.D.

President & CEO

ABOUT THE MENNINGER CLINIC

Located in Houston, Texas, The Menninger Clinic provides inpatient and outpatient-based programs for adults and adolescents (ages 12 to 17) struggling with a psychiatric disorder. The center also treats clients struggling with co-occurring disorders, eating disorders, and other addictive and/or destructive behaviors. In addition, Menninger provides specialized programs for professionals and young adults (ages 18 to 30).

Before beginning treatment, clients meet with a nurse and a psychiatrist to identify issues through a biopsychosocial assessment. Menninger does not accept involuntary admissions. The typical inpatient program lasts between three and eight weeks, which varies depending on the client’s symptoms and progress during treatment.

Utilizing evidence-based treatment methods, including cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) and dialectic behavioral therapy (DBT), treatment for primary psychiatric disorders includes a schedule of group psychotherapy sessions, individual therapy, medication management, expressive arts therapy, and other therapeutic activities such as meditation, massages, and pet therapy. Electroconvulsive therapy may also be recommended to treat severe depression, and families are invited to participate in family counseling and education along with a free 1-day family education session.

Along with counseling sessions, treatment for clients with a dual diagnosis utilizes the 12-Steps and in-house internal medicine services. Along with core treatment components, clients also participate in wellness and exercise programs, and an interfaith chapel holds services on-site.

For adult alumni, the program operates a supportive living facility.

Under the leadership of a board of directors, Menninger employs a highly qualified team of medical doctors, psychiatrists, nurses, mental health associates, master’s level addiction counselors, senior social workers, rehabilitation counselors, a fitness consultant, and a support team of behavioral health technicians.

Residents stay in semi-private rooms with their own bathroom, while private bedrooms are available to residents who may medically need it or who are in the professional inpatient program. Menninger offers a range of on-campus amenities, including a café that serves Starbucks coffee, a meditation garden, a volleyball court, and a saltwater pool. The facility also has a Wellness Center, which features state-of-the-art fitness equipment and a full-sized basketball court. Regular outings include meals out, spa appointments, trips to popular retailers, and museum tours.

At the time of this writing there have been seven alumni polled by Rehabs.com. Most alumni were dissatisfied with their stay at the facility. Alum JD gave the facility a one- out of five-star rating for treatment effectiveness and a two- out of five-star rating for accommodations & amenities and meals & nutrition. When asked for commentary, A.K. wrote “Menninger caused me more trauma than therapy during my 6 week stay….I have so many complaints about this program i don't know where to start...The only thing they care about is their financial bottom line.”

Another alum, GG, gave the facility a one- out of five-star rating for treatment effectiveness, accommodations & amenities, and meals & nutrition. GG added, “Unethical and should be investigated!.”

Alum DS felt that the program was not worth the cost, writing “Do your homework before you invest in the treatment here. It served as a high class re hab. Nothing but that. With out patient opting in and participating the program is worthless other than re hab which can be done for a fraction of the cost.”

At the time of this writing there have been six friend or family members who have been polled by Rehabs.com. On average, friends and family gave the facility a 3.6- out of five-star rating when asked if there were many counseling options to choose from depending on the client’s preference; and if the facility’s cell phone and visitation policy was fair. The gave a 4.4- out of five-star rating when asked if the facility staff were experienced and well-trained and a four-out of five-star rating when asked if they would recommend the facility to friends or family. Many friends and family members were happy with the quality of the facility.

One anonymous friend or family member wrote “Highly qualified staff; posh facilities.” Two other anonymous friend or family members wrote “Clean. Great staff.” and “Great food and facilities, many options to do during the day, the phone policy is good to keep in contact with family and loved ones while in this facility.”

When asked about the facilities weaknesses, several friends and family members wrote that the facility was costly: “Expensive,” “A bit expensive,” and “Expensive.”

One anonymous friend or family member stated that the facility was very helpful, writing “My brother was treated here for alcohol addiction and seems recovered so far, one year later.”

There was one former anonymous staff member who was polled by Rehabs.com at the time of this writing. This employee was a full-time member of the counseling staff. The anonymous staff member reported that there were eight licensed medical professionals who were on staff at the facility and no medical professionals who were contractors.

Currently, the cost for inpatient treatment is $1,700 per day. The Menninger Clinic does not accept insurance to cover the cost of treatment, however, the facility does offer financial assistance for qualified individuals.

Updated February 2017

Published on March 2017

We had a very unpleasant experience with the Menninger ATP program and would not recommend them. Our child attended the ATP program in 2017. This program is not functioning as advertised and desperately needs an overhaul and supervision. Some of the clinical staff there are angry and hostile and take it out on parents. We also found the communication to be extraordinarily poor and found it extremely difficult to get time to communicate with the lead psychiatrist. Although the nursing staff on the unit was top notch, their day to day understanding of patients doesn't seem to be reviewed by the clinical staff, and we found frequently that the overall conceptualization of our child's case by the clinicians didn't match up with what we or the nursing staff observed. Our sense was that the current team is very oriented towards medication solutions but lacked experience with behavioral management/therapeutic interventions. Also be aware that Menninger doesn't function well administratively. The ATP program is set up so that a social worker is assigned as the primary point of contact. But, our experience was that the social workers were badly trained and mostly acted as gatekeepers so that you could not easily consult with other members of the treatment team. You should know that the ATP unit does not do discharge planning and that they expect you to outsource discharge planning to a private consultant. Although in theory that could work, Menninger staff does a pretty poor job of coordinating with the outside consultants so the discharge planning process does not work effectively and creates a considerable amount of unnecessary stress. For instance, Menninger staff could not timely provide potential RTC programs reports and diagnostic data that programs were trying to use to determine eligibility.

My husband was admitted for severe anxiety and depression. He was there nine weeks and was discharged the same as he was admitted. The clinic did not help him at all and they knew he was not well. They merely discharged him to keep up their statistics of an eight weeks day.

I can answer some questions from distraught family members and patients. Menniger's has a great marketing team that makes them appear to be competent, ethical and highly rated. Unfortunaately, their networking and marketing are the only areas that are commendable. Despicable describes the rest. For those of you who have also suffered, my heart goes out to you. What little we can do is help other families. STAY AWAY! The CEO, president of Menninger's and Baylor will except no responsibility for the many patients, including me, suffer. They prey upon desperation. If you or a loved one needs help, find out if a facility can be held accountable and micromanage their care. It is a shame that there are a few kind, ethical people at the clinic, but they have no power. Anyone lucky enough to have had a positive experience was just that: lucky. Additionally, how many people want to review their stay in a psychiatric facility? Mental health has a social and professional stigma. My care notes are ridiculous. By Menninger's deceitful account, you would never know that I lead a clean, healthy life for nearly 45 years in order to reduce pain and heal my numerous conditions. STAY AWAY! Don't let Menninger's destroy another life.

I received four days of outpatient "assessment" at Menninger. The cost was $10,000. The document I was give at the end of the process was largely a recount of the self-report I had given my social worker, whom I spent more time with than licensed physicians and psychiatrists. None of the information I received from the other professionals came as a surprise, as my own psychiatrist had already recommended these opinions and treatment options. Though I didn't experience inpatient treatment and cannot comment on its efficacy,I would never recommend Menninger to patients who are seeking an in-depth "evaluation." It simply didn't provide my husband and me useful insight and certainly wasn't worth the $10,000 that we were charged.

Seriously, that is your response? Wow. I can give my opinion on how she's doing but how could I give an opinion on how she viewed the sessions? What a ridiculous comment. But not surprising, I suppose. And exemplifies Menninger's attitude towards the family. My spouse repeatedly cheated, repeatedly lied, broke significant and basic marital promises and commitments and refused to discuss, just discuss. The family therapist's response, "that's okay." My spouse quite obviously suffers from BPD, has lost every job in dramatic fashion, is self-sabotaging to say the least, extremely avoidant, continues to suffer from eating disorder and suicide attempts, and on and on. The behaviour that gave her that assessment has not changed. --- Good riddance to you, Menninger, from my life.

As I sent my boyfriend away to this place, I was hoping they would treat him with the respect he deserves. He flew through his beginning 3 weeks and was doing phenomenal. Apparently if you do "too well", they assume you're not trying and mess with your schedule, and other things...If you talk to one of the staff members, ask her if she knows what she's talking about. She probably is lying to you. The packing list is not updated so following it to the T, you'll still have things taken away. They are money makers who care about keeping you there as long as THEY see fit... Don't go here unless you want a vacation from life with no help on your true issues.

The experience of receiving differing information about items to pack and items that are restricted was unfortunate and is good for us to be aware of as we recognize that can be frustrating and avoidable.Thank you for bringing that to our attention so we can improve. The goal is to keep the entire patient community safe. Our lengths of stay for the hospital programs range from three to eight weeks, which is dependent upon the services being provided and the acuity of the patients' symptoms and needs for safety, identification of core issues and progress in treatment to master skills and maintain symptom reduction. Treatment is intensive at all lengths of stay, and we offer options for day treatment and outpatient services that allow patients to continue Menninger care based on their needs. Most patients participate in gold standard treatment outcomes surveys that measure symptom reduction and other areas of well-being that are nonjudgmental and scientific, which inform both the patient and the treatment team about the progress being made in treatment. Our approach differs from typical 3-7-day acute hospital stays that are common for psychiatric hospitalization, and our treatment outcomes demonstrate this approach works. We certainly want patients and family members to get the most benefit from any of our services they can for results that last and improve their life. Multi-faceted and personalized assessments help determine a patient's core issues and goals for treatment. Effective treatment happens with full engagement of the patient in concert with his/her treatment team, as well as a supportive family.

My wife has had multiple stays over the past decade. Her treatment has been ineffective and her destructive behavioral patterns continue, jobs lost, potential friendships ignored, and sabbotaging behavior in our marriage. The "family therapy" is a joke. My wife was diagnosed with BPD and depression but she was able to get Menninger to take out the BPD disgnosis. How in the world does this institution have a better-than-good reputation?

Thank you for the positive feedback about our facilities and meals for our patients. We are always concerned about feedback that relates to the quality of care, and we are sorry to hear about the marriage apparently ending. We are sorry the family sessions didn't go as you would have liked for yourself. Based on your comments; however, it is not clear if family sessions met the expectation of the patient, your wife. Generally speaking, it is also worth noting for readers of online reviews such as this that individuals with a personality disorder can get well through using the therapeutic skills they learn in treatment, so it is possible that the BPD diagnosis may no longer have applied.

Menninger caused me more trauma than therapy during my 6 week stay. My social worker was the epitome of unprofessionalism and my psychiatrist harshly insisted that i take arbitrary medications without any explanation as to their effects. I have so many complaints about this program i don't know where to start. I'm in the process of writing a book about my experience here and the for-profit scam that is these rehab facilities. If you care about yourself or loved ones, never consider Menninger. The only thing they care about is their financial bottom line.

Menninger believes that every patient we treat is important and deserves respect. Your post concerns us, and we would appreciate the opportunity to talk with you directly so the matter can be addressed. Our patient advocate, would like to hear from you.

Unethical and should be investigated!

READ front page of the Houston Chronicle (12/4/16)! Don't ever send your loved one to this place. They stay understaffed on weekends so they don't have to pay! Unethical and most staff are uncaring and prejudge their patients.

Intake process should be conducted by mental health clinicians. Referral process for candidates that you can not take should be improved. It is negligent to not accept someone and not work to help them find help.

Our approach to individuals who are seeking mental health assessment and treatment is important and is open to continual improvement so we thank you for your feedback that there is room to provide better service. The intake staff includes nurses and counselors plus the admissions medical director. Admission to Menninger is voluntary. As a national mental health care center, we work with clinicians who refer and with clients who reside in nearly every state as well as a few countries outside U.S. borders. We maintain a database of many treatment providers and are happy to provide suggestions when we have the information someone is seeking. We also have a financial assistance program for individuals who qualify, which is available on our website. Also, our range of treatment services continues to expand along the spectrum of outpatient, day programming, community and inpatient services.

Do your home work before you invest in the treatment here. It served as a high class re hab. Nothing but that. With out patient opting in and participating the program is worthless other than re hab which can be done for a fraction of the cost.

I stayed 1 week.Only 2 visits per week from psychiatrist, 1 visit from Social worker(she talked about her ex-hubby). I had one very bad day. The nurse was busy and couldn't talk so I called my husband crying. I went too my room crying, very upset. No one came to check up on me until my husband called the nurses station and asked them to. I was "sharps restricted". I couldn't even use my electric razor or blow drier w/o a nurse to watch. But they couldn't even agree on that. One night a nurse would say I was allowed to use them while she watched while the next night I was allowed to use them. Nobody there knew what the other person was doing. They were starting a "new" type of nursing transaction and maybe that's why it seemed like it was chaotic. I was also assigned to kitchen duty. I can do that at home. I would give this stay a rating of 2 stars. Definitely not the high price.

Ok.

World-class care, facilities, staff, etc. Expensive. My brother was treated here for alcohol addiction and seems recovered so far, one year later.

Great staff and great program. Very well trained and the success rate is amazing. Cost is prohibitive. If cost is an issue, this facility is not for you.

Great food and facilities, many options to do during the day, the phone policy is good to keep in contact with family and loved ones while in this facility. The doctors weren't the nicest and they didn't provide me with the information I wanted. This facility is great with great food and activities. For the most part the doctors are good.

Highly qualified staff; posh facilities. Expensive. Menninger is great -- academic affiliation, professional staff, first-rate accommodations and facilities -- as long as you can afford it.

Provides fair salaries but pricing could be improved.

Clean. Great staff. A bit expensive. Thanks.

what my brother says everything was nice and orderly.

Serenity House Detox
  • Individualized treatment plans and medical tapers
  • One on one counseling
  • Cozy and welcoming atmosphere
Taylor Recovery Center
  • Pet friendly facility
  • Three meals per day prepared by on site chef
  • Gym membership