The Menninger Clinic

12301 Main Street, Houston, Texas, 77035

About the Facility

Menninger is a mental health care system for all ages, including dual disorders/addictions.

Professionals in Crisis Program

The Professionals in Crisis Program (PIC) at The Menninger Clinic serves high-performance business professionals, lawyers, medical personnel, entrepreneurs and other high-achieving individuals who are experiencing difficulty managing their careers and relationships because of a psychiatric disorder, addiction, demands or stress.

Hope Program for Adults

Our team uses a patient-centered, personalized approach to treat people with longstanding challenges that have substantially compromised their quality of life or have been unresponsive to other treatments. Patients and families come to Menninger not only because they are in distress, but also because they are seeking a way forward after being stuck in their lives.

• Continuum of care
  • Community integration
  • Treatment of dual disorders and co-occurring conditions
Tony Gaglio, CPA, MBA

Tony Gaglio, CPA, MBA

Interim President and CEO

Show Bio
Financial Details
  • Financing Available

Reviewed by Our Contributors

ABOUT THE MENNINGER CLINIC

Located in Houston, Texas, the Menninger Clinic is a psychiatric hospital that also provides treatment for clients with co-occurring mental health and addiction disorders. The facility offers inpatient and outpatient programs for adults and adolescents (ages 12 to 17). In addition, Menninger provides specialized programs for professionals, and is among the 24.8 percent of facilities in Texas to offer specialized programming for young adults (ages 18 to 30).

Before beginning treatment, clients meet with a nurse and a psychiatrist to identify specific issues through a biopsychosocial assessment. Menninger does not accept involuntary admissions. The typical inpatient program lasts between three and six weeks.

The hospital utilizes evidence-based treatment methods, including cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) and dialectic behavioral therapy (DBT), the latter of which is used by 44.1 percent of treatment facilities in Texas.

Treatment for primary psychiatric disorders includes a schedule of group psychotherapy sessions, individual therapy, medication management, expressive arts therapy, and other therapeutic activities such as meditation, massages, and pet therapy. Families are invited to participate in family counseling and education along with a free one-day family education session.

Along with counseling sessions, treatment for clients with a dual diagnosis utilizes the 12-Steps . Additionally, Refuge Recovery, SMART Recovery, and Teen Recovery meetings are offered at the hospital.

Under the leadership of a board of directors, Menninger employs a highly qualified team of medical doctors, psychiatrists, nurses, mental health associates, senior social workers, and a support team of behavioral health technicians. To date, the five individuals polled specifically on staff by Rehabs.com appreciated their aptitude.

Staff Experience and Training: 4.4/5

Clients stay in private or semi-private rooms with their own bathroom. On-campus amenities include a café that serves Starbucks coffee, a meditation garden, a volleyball court, and a swimming pool. The facility also features state-of-the-art fitness equipment and a full-sized basketball court. Smoking is prohibited anywhere on campus. To date, the six individuals polled on the matter by Rehabs.com applauded the cleanliness of the facility.

Cleanliness: 4.8/5

Of the 22 alumni polled by Rehabs.com to date, eight gave the facility positive feedback and 14 gave the rehab negative feedback. Recurring complaints included high cost, a lack of effective therapy, and unhelpful staff. "Menninger caused me more trauma than therapy during my 6 week stay," A.K. wrote in a representative review. "My social worker was the epitome of unprofessionalism and my psychiatrist harshly insisted that i take arbitrary medications without any explanation as to their effects."

The minority of alumni who reported positive experiences described the facility as clean, well-run, and worth its high cost. Feedback on secondary sites was similarly mixed. Menninger earned average ratings of 3.7 out of five stars based on 39 Google reviews[1] and three out of five stars based on 16 Yelp reviews[2].

To date, the six loved one polled by Rehabs.com gave Menninger mixed feedback. Some complained about cost and rude staff, and reported that their loved ones were not helped by the program. "This program is not functioning as advertised and desperately needs an overhaul and supervision. Some of the clinical staff there are angry and hostile and take it out on parents.," D.S. wrote in a representative review.

However, the six loved ones, on average, gave generally positive ratings concerning the facility's programming and reported they'd be somewhat likely to recommend the facility.

Family Participation: 4.1/5
Would Recommend: 4/5
Counseling Options: 3.7/5

The one anonymous staff member polled by Rehabs.com at the time of this writing, a former full-time member of the counseling staff, reported that there were eight licensed medical professionals who were on staff at the facility and no medical professionals were contractors. They also noted that they would recommend the program to others.

Currently, the cost for inpatient treatment is $1,350 per day for the Adolescent Treatment Program. The Compass Program for Young Adults and the Hope Program for Adults each cost $1,800 per day. The Professionals Program is $1,900 each day.

The Menninger Clinic does not accept insurance to cover the cost of treatment, however, the facility does offer financial assistance for qualified individuals. To date, the six individuals polled on the matter by Rehabs.com were overall critical of the facility's cost.

Affordability: 2.5/5

[2] https://www.yelp.com/biz/the-menninger-clinic-houston-4

Accreditations & Licenses
  • JCAHO
Social Media Links
Important Notice

We list thousands of treatment providers throughout the U.S., often including alumni and staff ratings and reviews, and Rehabs.com 360 Guides that provide valuable information for people making difficult decisions. Rehabs.com is not influenced in regards to its ratings or reviews by any treatment center or its sponsors, and we clearly designate advertiser relationships with “Sponsor” or “Ad” or “Advertisement”.

3/5
    3.2/5
    2.6/5
    3.4/5

• j
    Staff of nurses in PIC are outstanding. All professionals except one psychiatrist are solid. The program is primarily educational, intervention and therapy secondary. Lots of professional turnover. There is one horrible practitioner who caused me more harm than help. Many professionals I spoke with after were appalled by his choices and behavior, which included medicine changes without proper titration, withholding medicine as punishment and over prescribing addicting medication without adequate education. I may bring an action against him, need to weigh harm to my family v benefit of medical board hearing the story. I would summarize by saying as long as he is not treating you, there is opportunity for help there.
  • Rick
    I'm an Alumnus of Menninger and although the methods are hard to figure out this place helped me tremdously. Place is super expensive but worth the money. I have also done all of my follow up visits as an outpatient at Menninger as well as being a financial contributor. I call today and once again the Doctor I saw last time is gone...again. I'm then told with the tone of a cold fish from whomever answered the phone that I can no longer be an outpatient as they are not accepting appointments. Guess your committment to long term mental health has diminished...I'll be sure to pass that on to anyone that asks me where to go for help. Regards
  • mrh
    If I could give this place no stars I would. They talk a great game on the phone and when you first get there but have no ability to help your child. They simply went your money and when it doesn’t work out you have to call numerous times to get any kind of partial refund. They call themselves world-renowned and cutting edge....absolutely not true on any level. Thankfully it didn’t work out here early on so we were able to find a place that could help our child. DO NOT asked your child here if you are looking to save them....this place made things worse for our child and we make sure we tell anyone we know to never send a family member to any Mennigers!
  • Barbara
    Financial aid is misleading. It’s only available for the assessment... yep, ONE month!! My daughter was there 4 years ago and it was a disaster.
  • BB
    Excellents services, outstanding staff, and campus.
    Treatment and meals were good.
  • St
    I called and was desperate for help. It was about insurance. So sad.
  • Thomas
    This place is nothing but a money making machine. I was admitted there after a psychotic episode with anxiety and depression. Most of my time was spent playing ping-pong or going to a swimming pool or talking to other patients. Group therapy was a waste of time. You only get two sessions per week with the psychiatrist. If you want to blow $80,000 for a nice get-away and attend group therapy sessions and kill time in a nice environment go ahead. I left early; I got no advice from anybody. None.
  • GW
    I reached out to my sister, another wealthy mental health "professional" for help after a devastating divorce/betrayal and her response was to arrange for me to attend this place supposedly on her dime. Day one I knew something was drastically wrong and wanted to leave the first day but she and the staff incessantly hounded me to stay there which I did for about 10 days. Nothing changed or was accurately assessed. I was suffering from major depression and they were not even going to prescribe any antidepressant to me when I insisted upon leaving. They were just angry I was leaving and they wouldn't be able to bill me anymore. They could care less and refused to prescribe anything to me afterwards. When I saw the $20,000 charge on my inheritance account later on my heart stopped. What an awful and completely ineffective a place. Do not go here or send anyone here who needs help. Instead hug them, love them and guide them through whatever it is they are experiencing finding them professional outside help if necessary.
  • J
    Be advised, this place is run by a CPA, MBA not a doctor. I was quoted $525 for a second opinion. I tried to pay the bill on the way out of the facility but that person was gone. I called the next day but the person I spoke with was out of town and was passed to someone else who said to just give her my credit card but she could not tell me what the bill was. Not feeling comfortable, I waited to speak with the person that had quoted me the price. When I was able to reach the original person I was advised that the bill was $725, that they charge by the hour. I paid the bill but feel taken advantage of.
  • REJ
    Worst rehab I’ve been to. Didn’t get what I came for.
  • Peter
    This place is great at taking all your money but when you discharge they would prefer you just move on with your life and not bother them anymore. In this regard and from the perspective of one who dropped $70k here I think they suck.
  • GHM
    Doing good work with very difficult illnesses.
  • DS
    We had a very unpleasant experience with the Menninger ATP program and would not recommend them. Our child attended the ATP program in 2017. This program is not functioning as advertised and desperately needs an overhaul and supervision. Some of the clinical staff there are angry and hostile and take it out on parents. We also found the communication to be extraordinarily poor and found it extremely difficult to get time to communicate with the lead psychiatrist. Although the nursing staff on the unit was top notch, their day to day understanding of patients doesn't seem to be reviewed by the clinical staff, and we found frequently that the overall conceptualization of our child's case by the clinicians didn't match up with what we or the nursing staff observed. Our sense was that the current team is very oriented towards medication solutions but lacked experience with behavioral management/therapeutic interventions. Also be aware that Menninger doesn't function well administratively. The ATP program is set up so that a social worker is assigned as the primary point of contact. But, our experience was that the social workers were badly trained and mostly acted as gatekeepers so that you could not easily consult with other members of the treatment team. You should know that the ATP unit does not do discharge planning and that they expect you to outsource discharge planning to a private consultant. Although in theory that could work, Menninger staff does a pretty poor job of coordinating with the outside consultants so the discharge planning process does not work effectively and creates a considerable amount of unnecessary stress. For instance, Menninger staff could not timely provide potential RTC programs reports and diagnostic data that programs were trying to use to determine eligibility.
  • RAL
    My husband was admitted for severe anxiety and depression. He was there nine weeks and was discharged the same as he was admitted. The clinic did not help him at all and they knew he was not well. They merely discharged him to keep up their statistics of an eight weeks day.
  • AR
    I can answer some questions from distraught family members and patients. Menniger's has a great marketing team that makes them appear to be competent, ethical and highly rated. Unfortunaately, their networking and marketing are the only areas that are commendable. Despicable describes the rest. For those of you who have also suffered, my heart goes out to you. What little we can do is help other families. STAY AWAY! The CEO, president of Menninger's and Baylor will except no responsibility for the many patients, including me, suffer. They prey upon desperation. If you or a loved one needs help, find out if a facility can be held accountable and micromanage their care. It is a shame that there are a few kind, ethical people at the clinic, but they have no power. Anyone lucky enough to have had a positive experience was just that: lucky. Additionally, how many people want to review their stay in a psychiatric facility? Mental health has a social and professional stigma. My care notes are ridiculous. By Menninger's deceitful account, you would never know that I lead a clean, healthy life for nearly 45 years in order to reduce pain and heal my numerous conditions. STAY AWAY! Don't let Menninger's destroy another life.
  • MM
    I received four days of outpatient "assessment" at Menninger. The cost was $10,000. The document I was give at the end of the process was largely a recount of the self-report I had given my social worker, whom I spent more time with than licensed physicians and psychiatrists. None of the information I received from the other professionals came as a surprise, as my own psychiatrist had already recommended these opinions and treatment options. Though I didn't experience inpatient treatment and cannot comment on its efficacy,I would never recommend Menninger to patients who are seeking an in-depth "evaluation." It simply didn't provide my husband and me useful insight and certainly wasn't worth the $10,000 that we were charged.
  • JD2
    Seriously, that is your response? Wow. I can give my opinion on how she's doing but how could I give an opinion on how she viewed the sessions? What a ridiculous comment. But not surprising, I suppose. And exemplifies Menninger's attitude towards the family. My spouse repeatedly cheated, repeatedly lied, broke significant and basic marital promises and commitments and refused to discuss, just discuss. The family therapist's response, "that's okay." My spouse quite obviously suffers from BPD, has lost every job in dramatic fashion, is self-sabotaging to say the least, extremely avoidant, continues to suffer from eating disorder and suicide attempts, and on and on. The behaviour that gave her that assessment has not changed. --- Good riddance to you, Menninger, from my life.
  • C.G.
    As I sent my boyfriend away to this place, I was hoping they would treat him with the respect he deserves. He flew through his beginning 3 weeks and was doing phenomenal. Apparently if you do "too well", they assume you're not trying and mess with your schedule, and other things...If you talk to one of the staff members, ask her if she knows what she's talking about. She probably is lying to you. The packing list is not updated so following it to the T, you'll still have things taken away. They are money makers who care about keeping you there as long as THEY see fit... Don't go here unless you want a vacation from life with no help on your true issues.
  • JD
    My wife has had multiple stays over the past decade. Her treatment has been ineffective and her destructive behavioral patterns continue, jobs lost, potential friendships ignored, and sabbotaging behavior in our marriage. The \"family therapy\" is a joke. My wife was diagnosed with BPD and depression but she was able to get Menninger to take out the BPD disgnosis. How in the world does this institution have a better-than-good reputation?
  • AK
    Menninger caused me more trauma than therapy during my 6 week stay. My social worker was the epitome of unprofessionalism and my psychiatrist harshly insisted that i take arbitrary medications without any explanation as to their effects. I have so many complaints about this program i don\'t know where to start. I\'m in the process of writing a book about my experience here and the for-profit scam that is these rehab facilities. If you care about yourself or loved ones, never consider Menninger. The only thing they care about is their financial bottom line.
  • GG
    Unethical and should be investigated!
  • LG
    READ front page of the Houston Chronicle (12/4/16)! Don\'t ever send your loved one to this place. They stay understaffed on weekends so they don\'t have to pay! Unethical and most staff are uncaring and prejudge their patients.
  • AR
    Intake process should be conducted by mental health clinicians. Referral process for candidates that you can not take should be improved. It is negligent to not accept someone and not work to help them find help.
  • DS
    Do your home work before you invest in the treatment here. It served as a high class re hab. Nothing but that. With out patient opting in and participating the program is worthless other than re hab which can be done for a fraction of the cost.
    World-class care, facilities, staff, etc. Expensive. My brother was treated here for alcohol addiction and seems recovered so far, one year later.
  • anonymous
    Ok.
    Clean. Great staff. A bit expensive. Thanks.
    Great food and facilities, many options to do during the day, the phone policy is good to keep in contact with family and loved ones while in this facility. The doctors weren't the nicest and they didn't provide me with the information I wanted. This facility is great with great food and activities. For the most part the doctors are good.
  • ST
    Great staff and great program. Very well trained and the success rate is amazing. Cost is prohibitive. If cost is an issue, this facility is not for you.
  • Rhonda
    I stayed 1 week.Only 2 visits per week from psychiatrist, 1 visit from Social worker(she talked about her ex-hubby). I had one very bad day. The nurse was busy and couldn\'t talk so I called my husband crying. I went too my room crying, very upset. No one came to check up on me until my husband called the nurses station and asked them to. I was \"sharps restricted\". I couldn\'t even use my electric razor or blow drier w/o a nurse to watch. But they couldn\'t even agree on that. One night a nurse would say I was allowed to use them while she watched while the next night I was allowed to use them. Nobody there knew what the other person was doing. They were starting a \"new\" type of nursing transaction and maybe that\'s why it seemed like it was chaotic. I was also assigned to kitchen duty. I can do that at home. I would give this stay a rating of 2 stars. Definitely not the high price.
    what my brother says everything was nice and orderly.
    Highly qualified staff; posh facilities. Expensive. Menninger is great -- academic affiliation, professional staff, first-rate accommodations and facilities -- as long as you can afford it.
    Provides fair salaries but pricing could be improved.