Timberline Knolls in Lemont, IL

40 Timberline Drive
Lemont IL 60439

Timberline Knolls Philosophy

Timberline Knolls Residential Treatment Center provides treatment in an all-female environment, for adolescents, teens and adult women facing behavioral health challenges that include eating disorders, chemical dependency and co-occurring conditions. Individualized treatment options include a blend of clinical and holistic therapies, plus daily 12-Step practice to foster long-term recovery.

• Creative Arts Therapy
    Writing, making art or engaging in theater can be deeply therapeutic for people working to recover from addiction. Many facilities offer one or several forms of creative arts therapy as a way to help patients learn to express their feelings in productive ways.

• Equine Therapy
    A form of animal therapy, equine therapy involves visiting, working with and sometimes riding horses as a way to create a metaphoric relationship that leads to life-altering insights.

Dialectical Behavior Therapy

Individual Family Therapy Sessions

Family Dynamics Group

ABOUT TIMBERLINE KNOLLS

Located in a leafy residential area in the Chicago suburb of Lemont, Timberline Knolls offers residential and outpatient treatment to adult women and adolescents aged 12+ who are struggling with eating disorders, addictions, mood disorders, and/or a combination of the three. As such, the center is among the 39.3 percent of Illinois-based facilities that offer dedicated treatment for women, and among the 26.5 percent that treat adolescents. Medical detox is available on-site.

The facility was founded in 2005 and is run by Acadia Healthcare, which operates more than 200 treatment facilities around the United States.

Timberline Knolls aims to treat addiction, mental-health disorders, and eating disorders in an integrated fashion, so that residents can address these often co-occurring difficulties together. Treatment is trauma-informed and multidisciplinary, combining 12-step participation with individual, group, and family counseling.

Counseling sessions use evidence-based therapeutic methods such as dialectical behavior therapy (DBT), in use at 52 percent of Illinois-based rehabs, as well as holistic and experiential approaches, such as art therapy and dance movement therapy.

Since the facility treats many women and girls who are struggling with eating disorders, there's a particular emphasis on wellness and nutrition, for instance through cooking, nutrition, fitness, and body image groups. The center offers ample spiritual programming, including a dedicated Christian track, though there's also the option to leave religion out of programming.

Clients work with staff to prepare for discharge, and when necessary, staff will also hand over to the client's subsequent treatment facility, to ensure that they have all the necessary information. Clients graduating either program can stay in touch with the alumni coordinator for continuing support. Timberline Knolls also offers a partial hospitalization program (PHP), offered at 14.2 percent of Illinois-based facilities, as either step-down care or an introduction to treatment.

The treatment team at Timberline Knolls includes a psychiatrist, a psychologist, nurses, social workers, registered dietitians, addiction and eating disorder counselors, expressive therapists, and clinical support staff. The 20 individuals polled by Rehabs.com to date on the staff were mostly impressed.

Staff Experience and Training: 4.4/5

The facility is situated on 43 wooded acres, and the grounds received an American Institute of Landscape Architects Award. Photos on the facility website show modern bedrooms, an art studio, a yoga room, and lush gardens. The 20 individuals polled by Rehabs.com to date on the accommodations noted that they were mostly clean, with solid leisure options:

Cleanliness: 4.3/5
Exercise and Leisure: 3.8/5

Alumni polled by Rehabs.com gave polarized feedback, with many strong, recurring complaints, as well as grateful notes of thanks. However, the 12 alumni polled on the facility's performance in a variety of metrics indicated that they would recommend the center and appreciated its family programming, but felt its holistic offerings left room for improvement:

Would Recommend: 4.5/5
Family Participation: 4.3/5
Holistic Offerings: 3.3/5

Among the larger group of alumni who left reviews on Rehabs.com, there were repeated complaints that the facility was unable to treat advertised conditions, that people were locked in rooms for large portions of the day, and that the center was disorganized, particularly on admission, when residents sometimes found their right to take prescription medications challenged.

"This facility really only treats young women with eating disorders. I am a middle age alcoholic and they had no idea what to do with me. I ended up leaving after a week because I was getting absolutely NO addiction treatment and I was getting worse," C.B. wrote in a typical comment. There were also repeated complaints that the physical facility did not match the pictures shown on the center's website.

However, numerous reviewers described successfully recovering at Timberline Knolls, thanks to the helpful program, caring staff, all-female atmosphere, and dedication to treating the root cause of addiction and other disorders. "The center really cares for its patients, they try to help them move past the guilt, shame and sadness they carry with them," one anonymous reviewer wrote in a typical comment.

Timberline Knolls also has mixed feedback on secondary sites, with average ratings of 2.8 stars based on 143 reviews on Google and 2.5 stars based on 48 reviews on Yelp.[1] [2] The negative reviews repeatedly cite mistreatment from staff and a lack of proper care and attention. "You have to basically beg to receive the help you need," Jaclyn wrote in a typical comment on Yelp. However, numerous reviewers were as impressed as Kat, who wrote: "This place honestly saved my life and that's not a joke. This is the best care I've received for mental health and I've been to 7 different facilities prior to TK."

Loved ones polled by Rehabs.com also gave mixed feedback, though the small group of eight loved ones polled on the facility's performance in a variety of areas tended to give more positive feedback than other loved ones.

Would Recommend: 4.5/5
Family Participation: 4/5
Counseling Options: 4/5

The negative reviewers echoed alumni by writing that the facility was not equipped to treat advertised conditions. "They should not advertise themselves to be able to treat anything other than eating disorders," parent D.K. wrote in one such comment. Loved ones also repeatedly complained of a lack of communication from the facility: "The staff are completely untrained and there is a lack of communication among staff and residents' family members," S.W. wrote in a representative review.

Praise from loved ones tends to be warm but nonspecific. "Everything about this treatment center was top notch! They have a beautiful facility and wonderful counselors," L.W. wrote in a representative review.

Timberline Knolls does not currently provide information regarding its costs, but it does accept insurance. The 21 individuals polled by Rehabs.com to date on the center's affordability were mostly unimpressed:

Affordability: 3/5

CONCLUSION

In April 2019, the Chicago Tribune reported that a counselor at Timberline Knolls had been charged with sexual assault and abuse of his patients at the facility. The same article revealed that "administrators at Timberline Knolls waited at least three weeks to contact law enforcement about allegations of abuse" against the counselor. Facility operator Acadia responded, saying: "We are committed to ensuring Timberline Knolls always meets our high standards.”

[2] https://www.yelp.com/biz/timberline-knolls-residential-treatment-center-lemont?osq=Timberline+Knolls

Published on July 2019

IV

My daughter liked it there and they were good in many ways, but they were very short staffed and they did not help with discharge planning. After her therapist changed because she left TK, the new therapist did not return our calls and discharged her a week later, without talking to her regular therapist or to the social worker from DMH. My daughter ended up in ER 2 days later.

BB

My adolescent daughter spent 5 weeks at Timberline Knolls Residential Center this summer, 2019, for anxiety and debilitating depression with suicidal ideation, suicide attempts and self harming. Timberline Knolls provided many group and individual therapies to give our daughter skills to 'Cope Ahead' so she can recognize codependent behavior and situations that can make her vulnerable to any set-backs. Her meds were adjusted and seem more effective. A weekly family therapy session is offered to help provide support for your loved one during after care. Phone conferences for family therapy is provided if you are states away from your loved one. The campus is located in a beautiful wooded area in the town of Lemont, IL, about 30 minutes from the city of Chicago. The lodges provided for the residents are spacious and clean. The facility also offers a large dining hall, an art therapy studio and other buildings for group therapy. The Behavioral Health Specialists, Counselors and Doctors are respectful, attentive and caring to their patients/residents and their families. All the residents at Timberline Knolls is assigned to their own individual therapist they meet with one to two times a week. The residents are welcome to attend other group therapy sessions such as for eating disorders, drug and alcohol dependency in addition to a wide range of group sessions for behavioral health issues. We have hope for our daughter for the first time in a long time, and she seems to be really trying with her coping skills.

LE

I had a terrible experience at Timberline Knolls. I was a patient diagnosed with an eating disorder, PTSD, and anxiety. Nobody cared about me during my stay. The food was horrible. The staff was cold. I couldn't depend on anyone to help me. I felt helpless. I WOULD GIVE 0 STARS FOR TREATMENT, ACCOMMODATIONS, AMENITIES, MEALS & NUTRITION IF I COULD. They simply don't care or they care only for a select few sponsored/wealthy patients. I should have reported my experience at the time but I was just too sick to fight back.

Anonymous Former Client

I was a client here in 2018. Although my main therapist and my dietitian were incredible people, I had the most miserable experience otherwise. The Lemont campus is a complete disaster. There are things I wish I didn't see or hear. I relapsed immensely within my eating disorder while I was there. The Orland Park campus was the only "safe place" that I experienced while I was there. Living at Lemont's campus and doing evening and weekend programming at the Lemont campus, it was absolutely horrendous. I was put in situations that were not appropriate and had to take on responsibility that should have been the staff's responsibility. I was there for both PTSD and anorexia treatment. I can honestly say that in order to cope with the chaos and manipulation, restricting and exercising were my only escape. And while in residential, the nurse there said some inappropriate things about my body and size that really screwed with my head and fueled my eating disorder. Staff at Lemont's PHP would even to say that when "so and so" was actively suicidal, they "didn't have time to help". I take that seriously and was put into the situation of deescalating my peer's SI and self-harming behaviors because clearly staff would not help. All in all, even though I had a great team at Orland Park, (most, but not all) of the Lemont staff were awful and manipulative. I would NOT recommend going to treatment here.

MV

Considering Timberline Knolls? Oh Demi Lovato and kesha have been here for recovery? Run. Go anywhere else. This place seems pretty awesome on the website (don't get me started on that). At best we were treated as a burden. The bathroom is locked and a staff has to unlock it. I had a staff member blow me off because she was clocked out. Putting residents on heavy drugs to keep them compliant. Sending the non-compliant residents to the hospital and leaving them there for a week. I spent 4 months in residential and I met some beautiful people there. I only wish that could negate the trauma received. Don't put your loved ones through it. You pay a lot of money for treatment. Go somewhere else. All of this is the absolute truth. I

SJ

This is a horrible place! My daughter spent 2 mos there. The lack of communication was unreal! While in residential, I could not get one doctor to ever call me. There was never a question of a release of information, as they had all signed paperwork. I had medical questions the entire time she was there and never got answered due to lack of any communication. We had many other issues, but this was my biggest. When I send my loved one 1000's of miles away, I would like to be able to speak to her doctor and ask my questions. I was not trying to "take too much time", I would have the same expectation of a any hospital physician. By the way, what's with bologna sandwiches for dinner at a eating disorder facility?

We are sorry to hear about your experience at Timberline Knolls. Our goal is to provide the best possible treatment for all our residents. We would like the opportunity to talk over the phone. Please contact us at advocate@timberlineknolls.com to arrange a call. We appreciate your feedback.

RH

My name is ****. My daughter is at Timberline Knolls, a facility licensed under SUPR. She was admitted for care regarding her OCD symptoms and suicide attempt. I made it clear she does not have an eating disorder, nor an addiction issue. They assured me that they were well suited for handling her OCD. While there, she ended up in the ER three times within the same week, followed by admittance to Bolingbrook Hospital. When M first arrived at TK on April 16th, she was on one psychiatric medication. Within a span of 16 days, three more psychiatric medications were added. She was not informed of the changes in medications. She just received the new meds from the nurse and was told she could refuse them when she asked what they were. Further, she did not receive any written information regarding the side effects of the medication provided. It turned out that the side effects of more than one of the psychiatric medications included urinary retention. On April 29, my daughter, M, informed the nurse that she was unable to urinate. She had been trying all day and was in terrible pain. She went to the ER. They discovered she had a UTI. They gave her medicine for the UTI, as well as medication to help her bladder relax, then sent her home after she urinated. The next day, a doctor at TK looked at some lab results and saw that M didn't have white blood cells in her urine. She pumped her full of antibiotics and gave her the UTI medication, but did not discuss her medications or look into possible alternate causes for the urinary retention. By the next morning, M still wasn’t urinating well and was in horrible pain. She was again sent to the ER where they gave her something to relax her bladder. The infection for the UTI was decreasing, but she couldn't urinate on her own. She was pumped full of fluid and sent back to TK. By 3 am she was back at the hospital and this time, was given a catheter. She was admitted later that day, May 4th, and spoke with a Urologist. The Urologist, Dr. ***, told her she was very lucky her bladder hadn't burst. He told her that urinary retention was a side effect of the four psychiatric medications she was on. He also confided that she was not the only TK patient he had seen for that very reason. When I called to talk to the doctor about the lack of oversight regarding medication and monitoring for side effects, she told me that she didn't prescribe the psychiatric medication. Her psychiatrist did. I asked to speak with him and she said she "didn't control his schedule" so she couldn't guarantee he would get back to me. She went on to say that patients who are part of the facility are there for severe mental problems and should expect to be medicated. So, these are my concerns - 1. Medicating clients without their informed consent is against the Illinois state code for mental health practice 2. Not informing a patient in writing regarding possible side effects for psychiatric medications is not in compliance with state code 3. Failing to monitor patients for possible side effects is negligent. 4. Adding 3 medications within the course of two weeks is dangerous at best. It is my wish that Timberline Knolls be investigated for failure to comply with state law in regards to medical practice and patient informed consent.

LCIRIANO

Please do not send your child here. NEVER! If you are an adult, fine. Check yourself out.What is on website is horribly deceiving. ITS like a little detention center. I went for 2 days..EVERY horrible review is accurate. I STILL have nightmares of my niece being there. I prayed reviews wrong. POLICE reports, CONFIRM culture, STILL coming out!! it should be shut down. I would not leave my golden, daisy here,, outraged at my family Yes, a month later I’m still horrified

Britta

I loved it though they need to let the patients walk outside more.

Concerned Parent

Our daughter was admitted for psychiatric problems that Timberline Knolls (or TK as they like to call themselves) said they could handle. The nursing staff are wonderful. I cannot say enough nice things about them. They are caring and one of the big bright spots of this whole experience. The facility and grounds are nice. The admission and orientation is well organized. The food , according to our daughter, was fine. The psychologist who does psychological testing was extraordinary. She needs to give lessons on how to be a medical professional to the chief psychiatrist. The psychiatrist does not return calls and was completely incommunicado for our child's entire stay. We never had any idea where the treatment was going and what the next step was. We never had a professional medical opinion on how our daughter was doing. We asked multiple times for information and got none. Counselors, other than the family counselor, would not talk to us at all. We did finally get to talk to our daughter's one on one counselor one time and were led to believe this was some kind of special privilege. Understand we did not want confidential information provided by our child to her therapists, we just wanted to know if progress was being made because our opinion was that there was little progress after nearly a month. We had no idea what our child was thinking. There was no discharge plan and we had to insist that one be made. It was inadequate to say the least and we were offered no options when we could not participate in what TK wanted for a discharge plan because we did not live near any of those services. Our insurance company was even shocked when our child was discharged as TK would not return the insurance companies calls when they tried to set up a case review with them. During our child's stay we even asked at 2 different times if TK could handle a child as sick as ours and they would not give us a solid answer. If they had talked to us and admitted they were out of their league, we could have worked with them to change facilities to a facility that could handle that level of illness. They chose not to do that to the detriment of our child. Do not use this facility if you have a child with primarily psychiatric problems. They just want your money and they will discharge your child apparently to keep their length of stay numbers short. Good insurance is like dangling a carrot in front of them. They probably do very well with eating disorders but do not consider them for anything else. You will be very disappointed, waste a lot of money, and your child will not be much better. If I had done more research prior to agreeing to have our child admitted there I would have seen these same complaints and strengths on other reviews at other sites. The entire stay there ultimately set our child back rather than helped her. In fact it led to increased anxiety from the moment of discharge that culminated in a suicide attempt less than 3 days after she was discharged against our wishes and better judgement as they freely admitted she was suicidal when they discharged her. The adolescent services in this place ought to be investigated and probably closed at some point. They need to stick with adult services and leave the children to someone else. Anyone else.

Lauren

I was verbal end emotionally abused at Timberline Knolls. Staff were unobservant and did not provide the care they were required to provide. They used a restricted unit and psych wards as punishment.

Sarah

TK was absolutely traumatizing and triggering and was not helpful to my mental health recovery at all. They were highly understaffed and inexperienced, along with there being way too many teen girls (35) all in one lodge. This led to a lot of drama and staff not being able to meet everyone’s needs. The food wasn’t great and while there was monitoring for EDs, everyone was placed on similar systems, where you had to eat a certain amount of food groups. Overall, this treatment facility did more harm than good and I would not recommend coming here at all.

Staff was subpar. Art therapy, meetings. Staff, supervision, equal treatment

Quite a joke of a treatment facility. I would never recommend to anyone sending themselves or a loved one here. Trust my words. They need major help in all areas. Be careful!

OK

I was just going through the motions before I went to TK. Now I'm really on the path to recovery. It's not a vacation. It's hard work. But it's worth it.

RT

I just left TK, and it was possibly the worst experience I’ve ever been through. I came in for an eating disorder and mood. Let me say, that they do not have the right to say they treat ED. The nutritionists had no knowledge of ED, the staff had NOOO idea how to help someone with ED, and I found myself having to help other girls with ED(I had experience with other centers). There were NO Ed therapists . All they had was a meal support table, which did not even force people to finish, or care for that matter. Please do not send anyone here that has an eating disorder, it will get worse. I am appalled how they advertise their program. All they is money hungry. I know am stuck in worse condition than before.

MM

This place was absolutely pitiful. I attended there in 2016. Numerous things have happened to me there. I was put on CO2 (close observation level 2) for reasons unspecified; I never had a history of self harm, aggression, or suicidal tendencies. I couldn’t leave the main building because of that. The food at the place was awful. It had all expired and the kitchen area smelled of rotten food. Girls were allowed to get away with almost anything if staff favorited them. If you weren’t a favorite, you’d get treated like garbage. Staff have told me to shut up, ignored your problems if you weren’t a favorite, and were pushed into a corner to shut you up. I self harmed and attempted suicide in that place. None of them even cared or let my family know. I’d see staff smirking or snickering when girls would have panic attacks. I couldn’t talk to my mom for a whole week, even though they told me I can talk to her on the first day. There was a level system, and if you ever struggled, you’d be put on a low level which in turn would take away a lot of your privileges and segregate you from other girls (or guys, depending on where you stay). A lot of other things happened to me there, too personal to be on this list. After I left from there (my psychiatrist told them to let me out due to my mental state). When I got out of there, I needed intense therapy. I was too afraid to leave the house. I still have flashbacks of all of this, which causes me to have panic attacks. Please do not send anyone here.

Sarah

PLEASE DON'T GO THERE! DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY BECAUSE THAT'S ALL THEY'RE ABOUT! If I could give it a negative review I would. I'm a 34 year old woman who has been diagnosed with borderline for 16 years. I've sought treatment throughout the years and this time was no different. I went here based on my therapists recommendation. We both read the website and agreed it would be good. The website described it to be relaxing with hiking trails and equine therapy as described on the website. I arrived on a Tuesday evening. I spent 2 hours in an office for admissions alone. I then signed papers to include turning my life over to their judgment calls as well as for equine therapy. I was then locked out of the building to wait in the dark. Someone came to get me and when we got to my "lodge" they locked the door behind me. Turns out you're actually on lock down for over 22 hours per day. It's like prison. I saw a Dr that night who accused me of "withdrawing" from something. I was adamant I wasn't. I only take a pill to keep my heart rate up, and a pill for insomnia. I didn't see the psychiatrist or my therapist for 2 more days. They put me on meds I didn't need. My whole "treatment team" agreed from day one that it was too high of a level of care for me and I needed more of a PHP. They kept me there for 10 days and when it came time for my "care conference" where all of my "treatment team"was supposed to be there, only my therapist was there and there were a Ton of unfamiliar faces. They all introduced themselves and tried to dismiss me. I spoke up and told them this wasn't what I expected nor needed. Also, the week prior I expressed the need for my FMLA paperwork to be signed by a physician since it was due that day and I was told by the nurse manager, that they would "deal with it next week". So at the "care conference" I brought my FMLA paperwork and expressed my concern to the CEO. it was then that she said she'd handle it. I was then dismissed. That night I asked if the paperwork had been sent and it still hadn't.I was now at risk for losing my job. The next day I had an interview at their PHP and was accepted and told that my insurance would no longer cover residential. I was told that since I took a controlled substance for my heart that instead of paying the normal $30/day for lodging that I would pay $100/day due to being on that medication. Later that day the nurse came in my room and said the Dr, without seeing me, had discontinued the med for my heart... Cold turkey.. Which would do a number on my body and is recommended to be tapered. I cried and begged and pleaded with them not to do this to me since I wouldn't be able to drive home. They didn't care. I asked them if I could leave and do PHP somewhere else, which was my right. They told me if I left, even though my insurance was no longer covering me in residential, that I would be considered signing out against medical advice, even though I would be admitted into another PHP. I work in the medical field and know this isn't true, nor ethical. So I again begged and pleaded with the supervisor. She said if I stayed the night that I could talk the after care coordinator. So I stayed the night. The next day I met with her who confirmed that I was considered leaving AMA, which meant no after care. I asked her if she knew what was happening to me and she knew very little. I told her my story and literally from the kindness of her heart she created an aftercare plan and got me into a local PHP. Had she not been so kind, I would've been completely dumped on my butt. I had 4 therapy sessions during my stay and only at one of those 4,did I actually get to speak about why I was there. 10 DAYS! I SPENT 10 DAYS THERE AND ONLY ONE HOUR WAS DEDICATED TO MY TREATMENT. what happened to me, being treated and prescribed medications and taken off medications without being seen by a physician is COMPLETELY WRONG! this is by far the worst experience of my life as far as mental Health treatment. I will be contacting the CEO As well as the BBB.

LEP

Timberline Knolls was the biggest mistake that we could have made. They did more harm than good. They blatantly lied to me on their level of care that they could provide. The nursing staff was completely inept and I am being generous. The director of nursing refused to return my calls. The doctor "on staff" was ignorant. By their ignorance they undid all the work my daughter accomplished prior to coming to this facade of a treatment facility.

EH

Timberline Knolls is a great place if you can get past the first couple of days. I arrived and they forgot about me after doing all the physical exams on me, and once I got sent to my lodge they told me to sit and wait for my lodge buddy to come show me around, but forgot to assign me a lodge buddy so I sat for hours alone, not knowing what to do, which is very hard for someone with anxiety. They placed me on CO's for my first few days (which is where you can not leave the lodge and someone has to be with you and watch you) for no reason, I had no suicidal thoughts or self harm urges but they wouldn't take me off of CO's, because someone messed up the paperwork. The groups were helpful and I met people I will love for the rest of my life, but the website is misleading. you do not get outside time unless you're walking to the cafeteria or another building for group. The place is heavily focused on eating disorders (which is why I was there) but they don't seem to focus much on the drug abuse or alcohol side of any of it. SOME of the staff were great, but some would make fun of residents, or restrict us from doing something for no reason. we often got yelled at for being too loud, even when there were no groups in place. They failed to tell me my therapist was not going to show up, which sent me into an anxiety attack, and after having multiple sessions with a fill in therapist, they would not let me switch to him, and made me start over with the original therapist. After the first couple of days when you get into the swing of things, it can be a great place to be if you're really ready to recover. Timberline overall helped me tremendously, but things definitely need to be changed with the communication and staff.

AER

I went to TK for depression, bulimia, and substance abuse. Due to my eating disorder, my heart rate was low and I often felt fatigued. The doctor’s and nurse’s were well aware of this and that at times I had to miss groups to lay down. I was “punished” for this by not receiving my “white hat” (their marker of achievement(?). You could only go to AA meetings if you had a white hat. For most, the white hat was earned towards the end of their stay and for some like myself, I never got one. I was in perfect behavioral control, compliant with medications and meetings and I was there in part for substance abuse treatment. 12 STEP GROUPS ARE not PRIVILEGES timberline knolls! 12 step programs are one of the few widely recognized effective long term treatments for substance abuse! It’s LIFE or DEATH! Not a privilege that “Nurse Ratchet” can withhold for “rule violations” such as missing a few groups. Also, last time I checked I am an adult and have the right to refuse any treatment (group) I don’t wish to receive. Keeping me from groups you claim to offer is unethical and led to a slip within a day of discharge.

DH

Their program is very helpful, however the beautiful grounds and accommodations shown in the pictures were not part of my experience. Not sure where they are... but in 30 days I never saw them. I was hoping the Christian aspect was stronger, but it was very secular. The population is overwhelmingly under 30, just FYI. So yes, I'd reccomend it- but with expectations that are reasonable and knowing the website is misleading in some ways.

Anna

I was in adolescent treatment at Timberline Knolls for five weeks. I was hesitant to go, but I was in a downward spiral in my life and I needed help. Wow. Timberline Knolls saved my life. The therapists are truly incredible and they really care about us. I made friends for life and I got my life back on track. The negative reviews scared me at first before I went, but I couldn't wait to come back and write about my positive experience at TK. Sending me to Timberline Knolls was the best thing my parents have ever done for me. On my last day, after I discharged, I was walking with my dad in the parking lot IN THE FREEZING COLD and I started crying my eyes out, thanking him for sending me to Timberline Knolls. It really works. If you are considering going or sending your child to TK, DO IT. They save lives. I will be forever grateful for TK.

Sa

Treatment was good for my loved one but the staff is not professional in handling insurance and communicating to families with regards to covered days resulting in large costs being placed on families. Cost is over $1,100 per day so unless you can afford to pay at least that much find a place with a business office that understands how to work with families and insurance companies to communicate information.

Jg

Do not send your child here! They released mine with less than 5 hour notice. I had not aftercare plan on place. My daughter stated in a family session she was trying to get thrown out and they still let her go.

AA

I'd say this place has no idea how to treat girls or women with ASD (autism spectrum disorder). I have ASD. I stayed for 4 days until I could get signed out by a dr, and nearly the whole time I was having stress meltdowns--from being torn from my regular "schedule" and put into a new one, from having zero time outside or alone, from having absolutely no quiet time. I tried telling people "hey, I have autism, this isn't working for me" but nobody acknowledged it for some reason--including the psychiatrist. The first full day I was there they DIDNT HAVE MY ANTIPSYCHOTIC, which is incredibly important obviously for someone who has psychotic breaks. They also DO NOT ALLOW STIMULANT MEDICATIONS FOR ADHD and will gladly just pull you off those if you're on them.... which causes significant withdrawal issues even if you're not necessarily "physically addicted" to them! All because they're morally opposed to stimulant meds. This, I think, is very, very wrong. Dr. wouldn't even prescribe a nonstimulant ADHD med for me. Also NO BENZOS and they were very condescending towards me that I had PRESCRIBED benzos in my urine test! Nutrition and whatnot were decent! I do have an eating disorder, and I felt like they gave me a decent meal plan for that. We were rarely allowed outside the lodge and we needed to ask to use the bathroom and have it unlocked for us (which I suppose is good for girls who purge, but it was a huge hassle for literally everyone else). All in all... not a good experience. All three of the girls who I came in with, including myself, were gone within four days because we didn't think it was a good treatment plan for us.

JCS

DO NOT LEAVE ANYONE YOU LOVE HERE! They are completely unable to protect/provide for anyone needing actual mental health treatment. They bilk your insurance and, I'm convinced, are in cahoots with the ambulance service & area hospital. My daughter was transferred to ER twice and was going to be sent to third-party psych ward on BOTH occasions. Just received $900+ bill for ONE ambulance ride (non-emergency) and they made her to take FOUR! Luckily, I was there to prevent one transfer to psych ward, but not the other. She was ASSAULTED by another "resident/patient" who was allowed to remain on campus after threatening and harassing a third woman. I realize this review sounds like an anomaly, and I would probably check it off as being a "dissatisfied customer" if I was reading it before taking someone there. But, please trust me, YOU DON'T WANT TO SUBJECT YOUR LOVED ONE to this place. I can't even commend the staff. Most were rude, condescending and disinterested in actually helping someone. They told my daughter lies and called her a liar. She didn't have clean clothes/shower first three days there. Couldn't use her "coping" techniques because everything she tried was a "trigger" for someone else. She couldn't exercise, sing, listen to music or even walk around campus. Please reconsider sending your loved one somewhere else. If you risk this place, you've been warned.

CB

This facility really only treats young women with eating disorders. I am a middle age alcoholic and they had no idea what to do with me. I ended up leaving after a week because I was getting absolutely NO addiction treatment and I was getting worse. They keep everyone locked in buildings without fresh air and keep all bathrooms locked because of all the young women with eating disorders. Which is fine except this place absolutely misleads people into thinking they treat anything more than eating disorders. I ended up going to High Watch in Connecticut which was amazing!

Jenny

Management was horrible! They have no clue or experience in treating residents or employees like humans. The turn around is unreal! The manager and her management degraded me and others. Continuously. She is pure evil. It's all about the $ not the patient. The residents hurt them selves over and over necat most BHS sat around talking or making fun of the very sick residents. It is horrible place to work. I just could not watch it anymore! No compassion

SB

The family therapist didn't understand Borderline Personality Disorder (focused almost exclusively on medical compliance, when the actual treatment for BPD is DBT and there are no medications specifically for BPT) and didn't perform an effective family history (the second place my daughter went to interviewed me over the telephone for an hour prior to the first family session, the TK therapist asked for a form to be filled out and disregarded any information that was provided on the form or subsequent email and telephone communications). The psychiatrist prescribed medications that were contraindicated by genetic testing, which had been provided to the facility. They claim to use DBT but they are not certified in DBT (see http://www.dbt-lbc.org/index.php?page=101167, https://www.dbtncaa.com/provider-registry, https://behavioraltech.org/resources/find-a-therapist-app/wpbdm-region/illinois/ ) . The materials that they gave my daughter were overwhelmingly 12 step oriented and religious (Christian). This is fine if you want a 12 step Christian program, but that is not necessarily what someone with BPD and/or a mood disorder needs and it's not what they advertise on their website. There was an inordinate focus on whether/when the insurance ran out. Sort of like an assembly line, they treat as long as there is insurance then ship people out. For example, the therapist said she should learn what she could before the insurance ran out, even though the family had already said we would self-pay if that happened. They sent my child to Chicago Lakeshore, filing an involuntary commitment petition. This put her on the 4th floor with seriously mentally ill people. The floors are also mixed gender, even though the patients are not supposed to enter other patients rooms, there is nothing stopping them since there is little supervision. Even though she signed herself in (ie voluntary), Lakeshore didn't reflect it as voluntary. Since she was admitted on a Thursday night, she wasn't seen because it was the weekend so it took several days to get her seen and discharged so that she could attend a program that truly served people with BPD and mood disorders. The family therapist has an odd attitude about the hospitalization, almost smug, as if he thought she deserved it. Definitely not a safe situation. I would not recommend this place to anyone suffering from depression or any psychiatric disorder other than addiction.

ZW

This place is shit and the staff doesn't properly know how to deal with its patients.

SW

My 16 year old daughter who has been diagnosed with major depressive disorder was a resident at TK in 2017 until I removed her after a two week stay due to incompetence and uncaring staff. One evening she was given another resident's medications. On another day, there was a physical fight between two residents. The staff are completely untrained and there is a lack of communication among staff and residents' family members. My daughter's condition worsened because of the treatment she received at TK. She was forced to be on a very restrictive meal plan, despite having no eating disorders. The staff did nothing to address her depression and instead enhanced her anxiety because of the focus on eating. She was not allowed to watch the evening movie unless she ate everything on her plate. Again, she was NEVER diagnosed with any type of eating disorder. I withdrew my daughter from this facility and I would NEVER recommend it.

RLH

We had a terrible experience with Timberline. Our daughter was at the facility about 10 when the insurance company made a peer-to-peer review. Timberline promised that it would appeal any decision to deny my daughter the care she desperately needed. After telling me this, they did NOT appeal the decision, told me they had (sounds very deceiving / a lie), and told us there was nothing else they could do. Spoke to top management - no help, nothing they could do.... TERRIBLE. My daughter was discharged without receiving the treatment she needs and Timberline failed to do what they promised. TERRIBLE.

DK

They should not advertise themselves to be able to treat anything other than eating disorders. My daughter went for a mood disorder in which she was exhausted with trying to deal with on her own. She had to follow all of the rules for girls with the eating disorders, such as locked bathrooms, no privacy with such things as well, food restrictions, etc. Any effort in helping her with her issues was not made. She sat through hours of talking about feelings, triggers and such which is good for girls dealing with eating disorders because I appreciate that they do need to get those feeling out and dealt with. However, those dealing with anxiety mixed with OCD/Bipolar talking about feelings/fears and such IS a trigger in itself because they already overthink. So rather than help in practical ways it is a one size fits all. Everyone is in together and treated in the same format no matter what their issue is. So I can appreciate it could be life saving for those with life threatening eating disorders. For those with anything else it is a waste of time and lots of $$$. They did not try to help her with her issues and she felt the therapist was very noncaring and unprofessional. To me it is a big scam for anything other than an eating disorder. We keep getting bills that are unspecified many months after she has been home. They come from many different places because I quote \"they are not a hospital\", so they have to bring people in and they charge whatever they want. When I asked for a statement of services for the many blood draws all I got was one that said it checked B12 level. We have gotten these every month, and when I ask when they will stop I\'m told there is a 0 balance but I guess it\'s just for that month because I\'ll get another one the next month. We are treated like we gave them a blank check. When I call it is very difficult to get answers for the charges and they (mainly Elmhurst Hospital) are extremely rude, like how dare I ask. We got seperate charges from a doctor that comes in to see the girls, which my daughter did not need a physicial or anything else as she is healthy. Also after having paid the full amount we were told to pay for the housing, 5 months later I received another unexpected bill in the mail for $50 for the housing with no explanation as to why they are saying we owe $50 more than what they told us at the time. I\'m wondering when the bills will stop!

Taylor

They care for your first couple of weeks. Then if you\'re having a difficult time and not \'getting better,\' they get annoyed and start treating you like a lost cause or an animal. I was moved from my lodge (open bedroom doors, a few group rooms to sit in and a common area) to a \'lodge\' that had one room and a kitchen and the hallway to the bedrooms was locked all day. We were expected to stay in the same room from 7:00 am - 9:00 pm everyday and all meals were brought to the \'lodge\'. We had a total of around 200 sq ft to stay in all day, every day. And they kept moving me back and forth from my original lodge to \'RTU.\' They took no consideration for the fact that I have a history of trauma and being locked in a small space 24/7 triggered me. So I would walk out the LOCKED door to get air before I was sucked into flashbacks and they would call the cops and ambulance and send me to a hospital. Eventually they just gave up on me, wouldn\'t let me return from the hospital and forced my husband to drive to IL from FL to pick me up from the hospital and take me to another treatment center in FL. This place is HORRIBLE and I would not recommend it to any one! Seriously, if you want to be treated like a HUMAN, go somewhere else!

carolyn

Tk changed my life! I am so glad I went. It was very difficult and scary! I suffered with PTSD , depression, anxiety and OCD. I have been on several medications and hospitalized before. I had relapsed and was desperate for help. The program was rigorous for me. The day begins with breskfast at 7: 45, and that was difficult because my sleep cycle was off. I go to bed around 4am and get up around 12pm. If you have troubling sleeping and getting up early that is a challenge. This was my first time in residential and it can be overwhelming. Your first day you will get a physical check up and full body naked check up! You will be assigned a room with two to three roommates. The rooms are a nice size. Each person has a dresser for there things and a dresser for things under the bed. Each room has a bathroom that is opened only in the morning for an hour and 40 minutes at night. This is inconvenient because you do not have a lot of time to just chill. You have to get in and get out. When you need to use the bathroom at other times, you ask one of the BHS to unlock the common bathroom. This is done because there are many people with eating disorders. You will receive your schedule and your therapists name. You will be assigned a process group which will be made up with people that have similiar issues like you. The strenghs are the group therapy, individual therapy, art therapy , yoga, and the dialectal therapy. I didn\'t think I would make it. I cried everyday the first week. I begged my husband to come get me. The BHS (behavioral specialist) are wonderful. They are there on the front lines helping you every step of the way. They constantly monitor and check on you through out the night. I felt safe. Tk \'s is biggest strengh is the fact that it is all female. The woman were so supportive and loving despite their struggles. I thank Jehovah God for this place !

TK is a decent place to recover if you are ready for it. I was not ready for recovery at the time, so it was not very helpful. The staff were amazing, at first. It was a very welcoming environment until the staff\'s patience ran out. They seemed to get annoyed very quickly, even when you had a legitimate need. Also, if you have type 1 diabetes, don\'t even consider going here. It took basically until my final week in treatment (I was there for 2 months) to get proper consultation and medical care. I tried to work with the nurses and explain what I needed, but every time I asked for proper care, they wrote it off as an \"ED behavior\" and kept incorrectly dosing me.

Jess

I was there for my eating disorder and mood problems. Although I wasn\'t treated for substance abuse, I do agree with what other reviewers say - this place was heavily focused on eating disorders and catering to people with eating disorders. From my perspective, it wasn\'t that the staff intentionally put-down those with substance abuse (well, maybe some of them did and I never was around to see it...it wouldn\'t totally surprise me) but for the most part those with substance abuse were in the shadow of those with eating disorders. That\'s not O.K. The individual therapist I had was lovely, my family therapist was not great, my dietitian was sweet and really involved in my treatment - more than just planning meals and monitoring my weight. That was a great. Most of your support comes from Behavioral Health Specialists (BHS) as they spend 24/7 with you. Most, but definitely not all, were great at providing support. I can think of a couple that were downright mean. The turnover rate for BHSes especially is quite high. When you leave, you can expect some sort of hassle with TK and how they handle billing you. Overall the treatment is good. The money and logistics that go with it? It stinks so, so bad and I can\'t help but wonder how much this facility takes advantage of people, many of whom don\'t have much to begin with anyway. Side note: People tend to treat one doctor like a goddess. It\'s pretty terrible actually. She means well, but her semi-celebrity status has gone to her head. Every conversation I had with her felt extremely superficial, even in therapy settings. Not professional, just glamorized.

Melanie

I have been relapse free from self harm behaviors for 7 months. TK saved my life. I would go back in a New York second if I feel unstable again!

R

TK saved my life and I am forever grateful for that. I now have been months free from my eating disorder and months free from self harm. They really make sure you know your skills before you leave!

Lauren

If you are seeking drug addiction treatment I recommend you go somewhere else. My experience was absolutely horrible. I have an addiction to opioids and when I called, I asked if they would provide me with suboxone for just a few days so I wouldn\'t have to go through all the pain, sweats, hot/cold flashes, and the many trips to the bathroom. The women I spoke to said I would be given the medicine immediately. Well that was a complete lie #1. I did not receive suboxone until a week and 3 days later. (After I went through all the horrible withdrawals already) also they refused to let me go to the restroom alone because they want to watch the people that have eating disorders. I don\'t have that and explained to them that I could not go when someone was watching me. They didn\'t care so have fun holding it for however long you can. Also they don\'t have any drug addiction theme meetings. They have a 12 step meeting at night but that can be for anything. Yes, you can leave the facility to go to meetings out of the place , buts that\'s only when you get your \"white hat\" as they call it and it\'s pretty hard to get when your going through withdrawals and feeling like crap for weeks. The staff doesn\'t seem to give the same treatment to all patients either. I felt I was looked down upon because I was/am a heroin addict. When I asked questions or needed something they would either ignore me or say they would do something about it but would never come back with results. The therapist was very pushy and didn\'t seem to really care about the patient\'s feelings and problems, they just want their pay check and make it very clear l. Most of my sessions with my therapist were spent talking about my insurance. Also some patients didn\'t have beds or a room to sleep in when I was there and I could only imagine how they felt sleeping on a couch in the middle of the lodge. It\'s also very hard to keep good hygiene there as well because you only have access to the bathroom in your room (if you have a room) from 6:00am to 7:00am and 9:20pm to 10:00pm and you will have 3 other women sharing the bathroom with you within those times and if you\'re not lucky enough to have reasonable and negotiable roommates well then you won\'t be looking or smelling too good. This place made me even more depressed, and my desire to get clean was gone because I felt that they didn\'t take that subject seriously. So if you are thinking about going there for drug abuse I strongly suggest looking at another place. There are plenty of other treatment centers that want to help, and will give you the tools to stay clean. This place is for eating disorders and nothing more than that. I am so disappointed and upset that I wasted my time and money here

Stacey

Absolutely wonderful environment. I loved it so, so much. Every minute I spent there. The staff is carefully cultivated to only include people who truly care about the residents. Not once did I feel like a number instead of a person. Thank you so much, TK.

TP

I attended TK for 3 months to address my eating disorder. The experience was great I loved the fact that family was so integrated into the program. I left without an eating disorder and it has stayed that way for 6 months. I whole heartedly recommend TK.

SM

Strengths: DBT, trauma therapy, eating disorder treatment, mood disorder treatment, addiction treatment, the treatments and therapies are inclusive of family and the staff is amazing!! Also there are scheduled outings, art therapy, meetings brought in and pet therapy. I didn't experience any weaknesses. This facility is not co-ed, they treat females exclusively. I was there for anorexia, drug addiction, chronic depression and acute anxiety/panic disorder. I have been drug free and eating disorder behavior free since I went there. Also my depression and anxiety are well managed through the medications they found for me. The helped me a lot with counseling and trauma therapy as childhood sexual trauma was the root of my issues and what I was trying to escape from with drugs and anorexia.

Nicole

Kind well trained staff, wonderful programming, beautiful setting, fair rules, and many activities. Doesn't accept many insurance options. Out of the 15 hospitals and residential facilities I have been to, Timberline Knolls was by far the best place for me. I only wish I could have stayed longer

Bridget

Low resident to staff ratio, spiritual options available, excellent programs and support. Cost and financial assistance were downfalls.

Staff was great but location was a downfall.

Nancy

handling co-issues and the staff were strengths of the facility, but a little lax on the medical care. Totally worth it. It will change your life if you participate.

Great staff, beautiful facilities . So insanely expensive! Highly recommend it if you can afford it.

Strengths: Primary therapists knowledge. Weaknesses: Too many group meetings not enough onebon one. Good for stabilizing clients in crisis

Anne

Fantastic staff, help is available 24/7 therapist, doctors, nurses, or just someone to discuss your feelings or nightmares. Doctors and staff are receptive to your suggestions about your individual needs and recovery. I attended daily onsite classes that were determined by my therapist and I. Some of my favorite classes included: DBT training, art therapy, dance therapy, and off site trips to church, shopping, And 12 step programs. Off site privileges must be earned by attending your mandatory onsite classes for 5 consecutive days. Timberline Knolls provides a wide variety of onsite classes that enables an individualized recovery plan for each patient. I wish I could have finished my treatment. The most frustrating deterrent was my insurance company. They overrode the recommendations of the doctoral and clinical staff about my length of stay. Although I could not complete my full recovery plan, I was exposed to many DBT skills and other coping skills. I was provided a binder that I kept all my resources and work sheets from each class. I use it at home to stay mindful and implement what I had learned. Timberland knolls documentation during my stay was extremely detailed. This documentation was instrumental in providing me with the opportunity for proper care and services to continue my recovery at home. Their aftercare staff will discuss, with you, programs located near the area you choose to reside after your stay at Timberline knolls. Staff will actually call and set up any appointments at the after care program you agree upon.

Abby

I had a horrible experience at TK. I\'m anorexic, bulimic, alcoholic and a trauma victim. DONT go if you\'re just ED. You will be ignored. If you\'re an introvert, you will be ignored. Staff to patient communication is zero. I had to call my mom to file complaints for me. You won\'t go outside so don\'t be swayed by all the outdoorsy pictures. The only outside time is walking from the lodge to cafeteria or art building. Resident hall advisor would not work on my complaints. My BIGGEST COMPLAINT- I threw a coloring book at a wall behind me. I was sent to my room because I \"was a threat to myself and to others.\" If I\'m a threat, why do you send me to my room ALONE...

Nancy

My daughter had bulemia, trauma, and became an alcoholic. She was sent here by Anthem, but when insurance cut off, she was released and went hysterical at the airport. She did not improve and actually got worse at this treatment center. She is an introvert, and did not do well in group therapy. They do not offer individual sessions, just an FYI. She has improved once we found an ED therapist to meet with her 1:1 weekly.

Donna

If your child\'s main issue is an eating disorder, DO NOT send them to TK. My daughter was only 16 yrs old and was allowed to \"be\" vegetarian while in treatment and my daughter was never a vegetarian. No one called me to confirm if she was or not and they just gave her a meal plan as if she was. Anyone who treats eating disorders knows that you can\'t be a vegetarian if your interest came after the eating disorder. I found out when my daughter came home and started telling me what I \"couldn\'t\" make for dinner because she doesn\'t eat meat. Needless to say my daughter relapsed soon after she got home. Total waste of time, money and most of all...hope for recovery.

Larissa

I was at TK for over 2 months. I have severe bulimia. I am from Canada so my parents paid $30K a month for me to be there. I found that introverts got the short end of the stick, its hard for me to articulate what I\'m trying to say and in big groups, like they had at TK, it made it very difficult. I really lacked a sense of belonging there. But I managed and improved slowly. Then I began to restrict. I told the staff what I was doing but they didn\'t take me seriously at all. Before my discharge I was binging on gum and then purging. I was completely losing it and they knew it. I was on my way to a PHP and at the airport I had a layover, and immediately relapses. I am not trying to blame them in anyway. Things just didn\'t work out. The fact is that it was not effective for me at all. I want to go to treatment again since I am on my last leg, but my parents have already spent a huge amount of money for TK.

KP

So I know a lot of people have questions about timberline knolls so I just wanted to write a review for others to know. I’m first going to mention that the days are long. You are expected to be up by 7am to either start your morning reflections and community meeting or go to breakfast at 7am it depends on the lodge. On Willow and Sequoia you eat breakfast at 7. Your last group ends around 9:10. The good thing is they do allow you to nap during the day if your extremely tired on the adult lodges. On the adolescent lodge from my understand your bed rooms are locked till bed time. Here my review:
I’ve gone to Timberline Knolls twice and honestly it’s been one of the best decisions of my life. The first time I went to Timberline Knolls was for an eating disorder that I had developed. Before I went to Timberline Knolls I went to Center for Discovery in Bellevue Washington and had a horrible experience there. I came to Timberline Knolls not completely sure of what to think. I had seen some bad reviews online but I decided to take a leap of faith and attend Timberline Knolls. One of the big reasons was because of the fact that they had a Christian track and I really had fell far apart from God before I had first arrived though I still believed that he was real I had hoped that Timberline would help me to gain a better relationship with Christ well also dealing with my eating disorder. When I first arrived at TK I was terrified I also was unsure if I really wanted to do the healing work I kind of liked my eating disorder because I thought it was the only way for me to be skinny and that is what I truly wanted in life. I want to make this review as real as possible so I will share the good and bad. Arriving at Timberline Knolls was partially a blur so I’m not completely sure what happened. I do know that I arrived at Chicago O’Hare and was picked up by transportation at baggage claim. Timberline Knolls was a bit further out than I had originally imagined. When I arrived at TK I first went through the admissions process I was truly shocked at how long the process was. Before you arrive at Timberline Knolls you will do multiple phone assessments to determine if you’re a good fit for the program as well as seeing a doctor to medically clear you. But when I arrived I had to do all the assessments once again. Then after that you see a nurse for a medical exam before being sent to your lodge. When I arrived on the lodge I was terrified and really confused the people seemed friendly but it was a lot different than I thought. I didn’t arrive on lodge till very late though and I don’t remember much so I can’t tell you much other than that. When I went to my room though I was a bit disappointed though. Each room has 3-4 beds on average and I was hoping for a room with 2 people maximum so this was a bit of a let down. I don’t remember my first few days though other than feeling extremely dizzy and my anxiety being through the roof. When you first arrive though you will spend the first 24 hours the lodge as well as no phone contact with anyone for the first 24 hours. After that time you get to attend meals and activities such as art, yoga and other activities off the lodge. After a few days of feeling extremely dizzy they sent me to the hospital to be checked out where I ended spending 5 days. I guess when I first came in my blood pressure was so low which was making me faint. Once they figured out the problem they sent me back to TK where things began to improve for me. Some of the girls there were extremely rude though and that part was really hard for me. I try to treat everyone like I would want to be treated and I guess that just was not the case for many of the people there. When you first arrive there with an eating disorder they tend to be very lenient towards you during meals and as you go they tend to get stricter with you when it comes to meals. Everyone with an eating disorder will be placed on a meal plan where you will be required to fill out menu’s for each day your there stating want you want. They usually have 2 choices with one being a vegetarian option they also have an always available list with things like Mac & Cheese, Grill Cheese, Lasagna and Turkey Burgers as well as sandwiches. If you have a eating disorder you will be on meal support meaning you sit at s table with a Behavior Health Specialist who monitors your meals. Your not allowed to talk about you food during the meal but at the very end of the meal they have this think called FAF meaning food and feelings where you tell how your food was, what your feeling, and what your grateful for. On the lodge there are 35 girls to each lodge other than Sequoia which I think there’s 18 as well as a psych ward and a transitional unit from residential to partial. The lodges are Oak which is the adolescent lodge, Maple, Pine, Willow, and Sequoia. I was on Willow both times I went so I can’t comment for the other lodges other than Sequoia where I spent 9 days in the psych ward the second time I went. I liked Willow for the most part as there are 35 girls to a lodge it’s pretty big there are 3 group rooms as well as a kitchen where you have snack as well as eat your meals the first 24 hours you are there and any other meals you have to eat down for various reasons. There’s also a milieu which is a gathering place to hang out in between groups or if you choose not to go to groups as well. The atmosphere on the lodge can vary the first I went the people weren’t always the kindest but the second time I went we had an amazing tight knit group and the atmosphere on the lodge was amazing. You will have a therapist assigned to you who you will 3 times a week twice for individual therapy, and once for a family session. For the family session if you live near by your family can come for the session but if you live far away you can have the session over the phone in a group conference setting. For the most part the therapist are great but they will push you which can be difficult if your really unsure if you want recovery. All the lodges have 2 nurses at all times, they dispense your medications as well as tend to any concern you might have. One thing to note is that they don’t have a pharmacy on campus like you might find in a psychiatric hospital they come from a pharmacy called PharMore and they are the absolute worst. They forget to drop off medications regularly as well as charging absurd amounts for medications. When you first get there they will either request a credit card number from you or call your loved one for a credit card number. Request to pay for each medication individually by calling the pharmacy. The medical doctor there who charges $200 a visit and can pick and choose when she feels like seeing you can order over the counter meds such as pedialite which PharMore charges $25 a bottle yes I’m not lying $25 a bottle. The same bottle you could get from Target for $5. The first time I went when my parents got there credit card bill there was a $500 charge for Pedialite. I’m not joking about that and I’ve heard similar stories from other residents. To say the least my parents were livid about the charges. If they do put you on Pedialite you can ask family members to order pedialite from Target online and have them directly send it to TK. You will also see a psychiatrist once a week that is included in your stay. At Timberline Knolls there are multiple stages in your treatment including Coming In which is the first stage in your treatment. Then once your therapist thinks your ready for the next stage you go to Looking In where you receive a white hat the white hat allows you to go on weekly outings to places like Walmart, Target, or getting your nails done to name a few of the trips. The last step is Looking Out where you can get a pass to go on day outings with a family member if you live nearby though no one ever makes it to a Looking Out at least no one I’ve ever heard of. Just so that you know the website makes it sound like you’ll be making trips to Chicago to explore that is inaccurate information I’ve never heard of a outing where your you went to Chicago. Also know that moving to the next level is a case by case basis some people though they do all there assignments never make it to looking in simply due to concerns like health, in people with PTSD flashbacks and other variables. The first time I went I didn’t get my white hat until the day before I left and the second time around I didn’t get my white hat at all though I had done everything on the list. For me this was due to the fact that I’ve been plagued with constant flash backs for the past 5 years and I never know when one is going to start. Timberline Knolls deals with multiple things including eating disorders, PTSD and substance abuse. They have staff that specializes in each of these things on each lodge called specialist. I really liked the specialist on Willow the eating disorder specialist is really kind as well as seems to really care about recovery. Though I don’t have a substance abuse problem the addiction specialist on Willow is great. She is a former Behavioral Health Specialist(BHS) which I’ll explain in a moment and was one on Willow before becoming the addiction specialist fairly recently. She was a great BHS and always knew her stuff. There are only a few trauma specialist though but the trauma specialist is great and extremely helpful when it comes to trauma. I really liked the psychiatrist on Willow she is very personable and that was great. When I was on the psych ward on Sequoia for 9 days I saw another doctor she was ok she seemed very intimidating because she controlled all the decisions like whether you get sent out to inpatient and when you go back to your lodge and if you go back at all which kind of scared me but she sorted out meds which I’m forever grateful for. I’ll touch on the psych ward in a moment. Behavioral Health Specialist are really the frontline at Timberline Knolls they are staff with a bachelors degree in psychology and they take care of various things such as running goals group, community meeting, sitting with residents at the meal support table and making sure you’ve eaten your whole meal and well as tending to any needs. The bathrooms on the lodges are locked other than hygiene time which happens in the morning before breakfast and at night after the last group of the night. If you have to use the bathroom during the day you must ask a BHS to open the community bathroom and depending if your there for an eating disorder or not they stand by the door and don’t leave till your finished to ensure you did not engage in any eating disorder behavior. The bathrooms in the rooms are really small and claustrophobic that was one thing I hated about TK was the bathrooms. Coming from where at home I have a huge to a bathroom 1/10th of the size was not very fun. I really felt the walls closing in on me. One thing that is nice about TK which I found great after attending Center for Discovery was ability to go to your room during the day the bathroom is locked but you have the freedom to take a nap or change as you please. The days are really exhausting and sometimes you really just need a nap so I loved that about Timberline Knolls. One nice thing about timberline knolls is there ability to treat depression if they feel like you might be unsafe to yourself they put you on Constant Observation(CO’s) which I must admit really stink. There are 2 levels of CO’s CO1 and CO2. If your on CO1 they checks on you every 15 minutes and you can’t leave the lodge and if your on CO2 you have to be in a staff members line of sight every second of the day. If your on CO1 you can sleep in your bed but if your on CO2 you have to sleep in the milieu on a couch. I had the joy of being placed on CO’s twice during my first stay and 3 times during my 2nd stay. During my second stay they had created the psych on Sequoia due to the fact I struggle with severe constant flashbacks which was the main reason I came back to TK I became really tough for the staff to deal with so they placed on the psych unit. The psych unit is really small and can only have 6 people there maximum at all times. The ratios there are much smaller with 3 staff members at all times which include a 2 BHS’s and and a nurse. The nurses on the psych ward are amazing there is Angie who is the best nurse ever as well as many other stand out nurses. The positives of the psych ward are they put the best staff on the unit the negatives are you can’t go to your room during the day, you don’t get to go to anything off the unit like yoga, art or exercise class and all the groups are brought to you. This really stinks as your stuck in a small space the only time you get to go outside is for fresh air break or if you smoke, smoke break. Smoke break is the highlight of many residents day I don’t smoke personally but there about 8 smoke breaks a day which is great for smokers. During the day you have many groups including Dialectical Behavioral Therapy nearly everyday. Other groups you attend include process group, art which they seriously have the best art room I’ve ever seen, dance movement therapy which isn’t dance at all that part really sucks for dancers who get all excited and then go to the group and are seriously let down. There’s also yoga I think like 3 times a week and if your medically cleared and your treatment team agrees exercise group. For the most part the groups are great they’re very engaging and I think they are very helpful though not every group is for everyone. Some things to know is that there really is no TK ranch like is advertised on there website unless you count a horse pen where the horses come once a month for visit. Also pet therapy is once a month you also have to sign up in advance and the groups do fill up fairly quickly. Another thing to note is that they do have a Christian track with approximately 4 Christian groups a week the Christian track really refueled my relationship with Christ and I would recommend it to any Christian looking into residential treatment.. Another thing that I really liked is the high up people at TK really do care the president of TK Tom takes people fishing during the summer months as well as other top as other top ranking officials tagging along. Also some of the building are historical with the art studio being built in the 1800’s Tom takes groups for historical tours of TK as well. Something else to touch on is the fact that they charge a thousand a day if your self pay though they do take many insurances, also insurance does cut people regularly and when they do cut you have the choice to pay up for the rest of your stay, appeal the decision to the insurance company which if you loose the appeal you have to pay for the time after they cut you or leave. Many people end up leaving very suddenly do to that issue. The first time I went I had no trouble with insurance the second time I went though I had the insurance giving my team constant issues and I was only able to stay five weeks. This was hard as I desperately needed more time though I’m currently doing ok which is a good thing. I don’t have much more to say would I recommend TK yes is it for everyone no.

FES

Don\'t even waste your time with this place. The staff is rude/mean. Everything they tell you on the phone to get you there is the exact opposite. Your suppose to meet with your team of doctors with in the 24 hours that you arrive and that doesn\'t happen. I was there for a week before I met a therapist and she wasn\'t even on my team. They are rude and unprofessional and you should save your money and go to a different facility.

AA

Worst place I could have ever sent my daughter.

They have well trained clinicians and they deal well with insurance. However, once insurance payments are cut off, you are out the door no matter how sick, unless you pay up immediately. Wish they could have helped us find follow up care at home after discharge.

Caring and supportive staff and awesome art therapy room. Not a lot of choice for counseling. It's pretty expensive and they don't work too hard to get insurance to cover the stay. The programming is great though and the staff is knowledgable about the struggles the patients are facing (many of them have dealt with similar issues). Overall a great place to get treatment as long as you can afford it!

It was welcoming and supportive. I really felt like I had a family and people I could trust. I just wish there was more space and better food selections. It's a great facility and they work with you in terms of payment. I really feel like I was able to be the best me and start a new beginning.

It was uncleanly. However, the food and staff were great.

They are kind, caring, compassionate and truly hope to help their patients. The center really cares for its patients, they try to help them move past the guilt, shame and sadness they carry with them. They could host more fun activities.

Erica

They truly care! They are equipped to handle what comes their way! They just need more staff at times. It is a beautiful place and very kind & wonderful staff!

Vanessa

The fact that TK does NOT focus on extracurricular or leisure activities is a strength in my opinion. You're there for treatment, not relaxation. There are chances to go on outings & definitely down times with fun activities available, but it's not a big part of the schedule. You have to go to TK ready to work, not relax. The staff treat you as a PERSON, not just another patient or as your disease. They are some of the most sincere & compassionate people. The alumni program is run very well & is great for support & sharing your successes. This place saved my life. I have borderline personality disorder, bipolar II, & I struggle with various addictions as a result. I was sexually abused when I was younger. TK didn't even hesitate in taking me in & they honestly broke everything down & put me back together. They have a Christian track for those who want it & they blend the 12 step program with DBT so you can find what works for you. There are yoga, dance, & workout opportunities, equine therapy, dog therapy, etc. Everything is clean & well maintained. I highly recommend contacting Admissions if you're looking into it because they're incredibly helpful & they won't pressure you. I went out for a visit before I even decided to go there & instead of pressuring us to put our name on the wait list, the woman gave us a tour & tons of info, talked with us for a long time to answer questions & such, but then told us to think about it & if we wanted more info or to get on the list, call back. There was no pressure whatsoever. They will check your insurance for you & if they don't think you're a fit for the program, they'll flat out tell you. They're trustworthy & they know their stuff.

Chris

This facility costs about $1000/day. Doctors are curt and rude. When the doctor changed my meds, it took 5 days for the nurses to implement this change. When I asked for information on the new meds, it took 3 days and much complaining by nurses, as if I was taxing them. The website shows wooded acreage, trails, and homey facilities. It is intimated that lodging will be private rooms, and you can sit next to a babbling brook and relax, or jog on the many trails. In reality, You will share a room, your bathroom is locked off except 1 hour/day. You are locked in the facility. You can not roam the campus. Many of the "therapies" advertised are not available. (equine/pet therapy) Do not go here unless you want to feel like you are in jail. Get ready to activate your patience.

KM

Faith-based treatment is optional; eating disorder program; many types of group therapy; residential facility.Very good therapists/professionals; women only facility. However, there was a small exercise area.

My sister went there for treatment of anorexia. It was too religious of a facility.

JM

I loved that it was all girls and that they treated multiple issues not just substance abuse. I made amazing friendships and got to work on all the issues in my life. Sometimes I wish I had stayed longer, which they had recommended I do. Very fair and accommodating. Excellent nutrition and food. Great therapy sessions, especially family and one on one. However, they could have offered more activities to do to learn what you like to do besides using. They could also let patients know earlier that their insurance it denied.

CPK

This place claims to be a treatment center for girls/women with eating disorders. I felt this was not true. I also felt that the staff didn't treat my daughter with dignity. I was never kept in the loop on her treatment because there was none!

anonymous

I believe that Timberline Knolls is a great facility for girls and women as they really care for you as an individual. The only concern that I had was that they focused on DBT (Dialectical Behavioral Therapy) and that may not be for everyone. Personally, I am more of a CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy) girl. I would recommend it because Timberline Knolls is one of the best eating disorders treatment centers in America as noted by many medical journals.

Nicole

Went for alcohol, eating disorder, depression, self harm, borderline personality disorder, anxiety, ptsd. Helped me out.

Courtney

Timberline Knolls truly helped me save my own life. I was able to use the tools I learned during treatment to get back on track.

ER

The experience was phenomenal & I love my treatment team.

MC

I did learn many coping skills while at TK and my therapist helped me with my issues. I know if I hadn't gone I wouldn't be 1 year in recovery now. I don't regret going. I think Timberline Knolls is a great place but most days it felt like summer camp. They are not very strict on you needing to attend the lectures/classes/group therapy. At times I felt like I could get away with a lot of things. I did like my therapist and the other people on my lodge. The food was good enough, and I liked grounds and outings.

LL

Great staff-so helpful. Highly trained, passionate.

RG

Not into the 12 steps

Alison

Overpriced and poor communication between staff. Wouldn't go here again. Nutrition is off.. They do not take patients needs seriously. Some doctors are good, others are not. Mine talked to me for honestly 3 minutes per session. Very pathetic. The communication is poor between staff members and sometimes the patients needs aren't met. A lot of time it seemed like they wanted to get money for people staying there when they didn't need to be. Pathetic in my opinion.

BJ

Timberline Knolls is a fantastic treatment center. I felt completely safe and taken care of. A wide variety of treatment types is available (individual counseling, group sessions, art therapy, DBT, etc.) and the entire community of Timberline Knolls embraces every individual, leading to lifelong friendships and accountability partners. Timberline Knolls was the tool the God used to save my life.

KH

TK saved my life. I hated the thought of treatment, but if I hadn't gone I wouldn't be here.

MET

Self-empowerment, mindfulness, self-awareness, self-care, interpersonal effectiveness skills, spirituality are all things you will gain from treatment at TK.

TE

Helped find sober living facility.

No relapse

smh

It was a wonderful experience

VC

They are in it to make money

lw

efs

individual plans for each woman. Sent my daughter there for her eating disorder.

anonymous

Although I still have a long way to go, the facility really saved my life.