White Sands Treatment Center

1820 Colonial Blvd, Fort Myers, Florida, 33907

About the Facility

At WhiteSands Treatment Center, our philosophy revolves around the positive belief that everyone has the capacity to improve and grow. We know that you can overcome your limitations through changes in attitudes, habits, and behavior, and we are here to help you do just that! Alcohol abuse and drug addiction are chronic problems that affect both the body and the mind, so we don’t just treat physiological dependency; our dual diagnosis treatment programs also work to locate and change factors that might make it difficult to abstain from drug and alcohol abuse in the long term. We are entirely committed to helping you reach your fullest potential. We want to encourage and inspire you to have confidence and faith in yourself; to learn how to forgive not just yourself, but also those around you. Ultimately, recovery is about healing. Here at WhiteSands, we know that alcohol and drug addiction affects everyone differently. We maintain the creed that you deserve a customized treatment program tailored to your highly specific situation, so all of our alcohol and drug addiction treatment programs are updated and modified as an individual’s situation evolves. This careful process maximizes your chances of a successful recovery.

Holistic Therapy

Facilities that offer “holistic therapy” see and treat patients in the context of their entire lives and health status. They treat the “whole person,” not just the addiction.

Individualized Treatment

Some facilities have an addiction treatment protocol that all patients or clients are expected to follow, while others customize or individualize treatment based on a person’s unique needs and circumstances. Factors that may affect treatment decisions include age, lifestyle, medical conditions, type of drug, religious beliefs, etc.

• A+ BBB rated
  • JCAHO accredited
  • 100% scorecard from DCF
Joseph Ducey

Joseph Ducey

COO

Mr. Ducey currently serves as Chief Operating Officer of White Sands Treatment Centers, and has held that position since shortly after the opening of the facility. As COO of White Sands, Mr. Ducey is responsible for the day to day operations of both Ft Myers and Tampa treatment locations.In addition to his day to day responsibilities at White Sands, Mr. Ducey was responsible for the expansion of the Ft Myers location into Intensive Outpatient and Sober Home programs, as well as the planning and opening of the Tampa location consisting of 150 inpatient beds. Prior to joining White Sands, Mr. Ducey held a variety of management positions within Acquinity Interactive and its subsidiary companies, where his responsibilities primarily focused on the day to day operations of call center management team, product development, and implementation and analysis. Prior to joining Acquinity, Mr. Ducey served as Executive Vice President of CIT Group in Livingston, New Jersey. He holds a degree in Business Administration

Show Bio
Dr Lyndsay Henry

Dr Lyndsay Henry

Clinical Director

Lyndsay Henry, Ph.D. currently serves as Clinical Director for the Fort Myers Location and has held that position since shortly after opening in 2014. She is additionally Vice President of Clinical Services for White Sands Treatment Centers. Within these roles, Dr. Henry oversees clinical operations for all locations. She is responsible for hiring and training all clinical staff in Fort Myers as well as creating and implementing the program schedules and aiding in patients receiving the best treatment possible. Dr. Henry is a licensed Clinical Psychologist in the state of Florida. She received her undergraduate degree in Psychology and Sociology at Vanderbilt University in Nashville, TN. She received her master’s and doctorate degrees in Psychology at Nova Southeastern University in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. She has worked extensively with children, adolescents, and those struggling with addiction.

Show Bio

Reviewed by Our Contributors

ABOUT WHITE SANDS TREATMENT CENTER

Located in Fort Myers, Fla., White Sands Treatment Center treats both substance abuse and co-occurring disorders. A full continuum of treatment services is offered, including medical detox, residential treatment, a partial hospitalization program (PHP), an intensive outpatient program (IOP), and sober living facilities. Specialized tracks include a women’s program and a Christian program. It is one of the 310 (46.4 percent) facilities in Florida that have programs tailored to women. Medical detox is available.

Upon admission, clients undergo a comprehensive assessment to determine the most appropriate route of treatment. The typical residential stay is 30 to 60 days, making it one of Florida’s 139 (20.8 percent) of long-term treatment programs. The treatment model is evidence-based including methods such as motivational interviewing(MI), motivational enhancement therapy, and cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT).

Treatment also incorporates holistic offerings, including art, massage, exercise, and nutritional therapy, as well as yoga and acupuncture. Clients participate in individual and group therapy, focusing on building healthy coping skills and gaining support from peers. Family therapy is offered as an integral part of the treatment process.

As step-down options, the facility has partial hospitalization and outpatient programs. White Sands also offers sober living homes, and clients who complete treatment are connected to community support groups and therapists in their area.

The treatment team includes board-certified medical doctors, psychiatrists, master’s level psychologists, clinicians, nurses, and licensed addiction counselors. It is one of the 203 (30.4 percent) of treatment facilities in Florida accredited by the Joint Commission.

White Sands is a resort-style facility full of luxury amenities, including a pool, kitchen, gazebo, and fitness room. Photos also indicate that clients share rooms with two beds. The center’s website states that electronics are forbidden, smoking is permitted in designated areas, and visitors are allowed with permission.

Rehabs.com has received 24 alumni reviews for White Sands to date, of which 20 are positive. Positive reviewers commented on helpful, knowledgeable staff and a comfortable environment. Alum Emily wrote representatively: “The clients, and staff were extremely helpful and made me feel right at home.”

Four alumni, however, gave negative reviews, rating White Sands. Complaints varied in their focus, with reviewers reporting poor medicinal knowledge among staff, ageism, and poor accommodations. Even in otherwise positive reviews, alumni noted how they felt misled in terms of the amenities and how there was a lack of trained counselors.

On Google, WhiteSands Treatment Center has an average rating of 4.5 out of five stars from 140 reviews to date.[1] The feedback is overwhelmingly positive, with alumni describing how the facility “gave me my life back” or “saved my life”. The staff was noted to be “Amazing.”

Six loved ones polled by Rehabs.com to date gave reviews of White Sands, with five negative and one positive. The negative reviews rated the facility only one star in treatment effectiveness and complained of poor family-client interaction. One family member named Lori wrote representatively: “It is difficult to get ANYONE even the nurses's station on the phone… Now I understand about HIPPA, but it is wrong that no one at least returns a phone call.”

This facility accepts all private insurance policies, and employs insurance coordinators to help clients to maximize their reimbursements. It is one of the 463 (69.3 percent) of facilities in Florida that accept private insurance. It also accepts self-payment via credit card, wire transfer or cashier's check. White Sands does not accept Medicare or Medicaid.

Accreditations & Licenses
  • JCAHO
Social Media Links
Important Notice

We list thousands of treatment providers throughout the U.S., often including alumni and staff ratings and reviews, and Rehabs.com 360 Guides that provide valuable information for people making difficult decisions. Rehabs.com is not influenced in regards to its ratings or reviews by any treatment center or its sponsors, and we clearly designate advertiser relationships with “Sponsor” or “Ad” or “Advertisement”.

4/5
    3.9/5
    4.1/5
    3.9/5

• Thoma
    Absolutely horrified. Criminally run falling-apart facility First, look at all the 5-star reviews from people with one or so review. Fake! Now, I would have given this place 2** just because there are many nurses and CNAs that at truly caring, BUT the management is fringteningly focused mainly to keep this dreadful facility filled to max. Physiotherapy an absolute joke (given at top floor, behind closed doors w no access for relatives, if they feel like it and if the elevators work)... Actually, I saw very few other visitors, so this may well be a place where elder people are dumped. I spent every day for three weeks to try getting my papa into recovery, but the scheme obviously was to make him weaker and keep him forever to fill the owner's an co-conspirators pockets. I may never gat him, weak after pneumonia but otherwise ready to get back to normal life, to recover to good health after his being treated like a vegetable here. Adult protective services (APS) are looking closely at this... factory. This place need to be SHUT DOWN soonest so that the good handful of descent people on floor can work in respectable facilities. There are many options in Miami/Coral Gables that accept Medicare. Do your research. This place means slow, dreadful death.
  • Kelly
    When I checked out their website and talked to a counselor, I truly thought I had found a place that would be able to help me. Instead, I had a horrific experience. I followed the packing list exactly, yet when I arrived was not allowed to have even my shampoo or conditioner. They refused to give me all my clothing. Whoever picked out what I was allowed to have gave me only bathing suit tops and 3 pairs of socks and underwear. They woke me up before 5am each morning. I was detoxing and badly needed the sleep. There was absolutely no privacy. I was moved into a house my second day there with women that were at least 10 years younger than me and blared awful music all day. I didn’t sleep for 4 days and all I wanted was a nap. The houses had no carpets or rugs so everything echoed. Trying to take a nap, I’d hear someone in the shared bathroom taking a dump. The food was AWFUL!!! The website talks about focusing on nutrition, yet the meals were all deep fried and breaded. I couldn’t eat a thing. Even the smell of the institutionalized cafeteria make me sick to my stomach. No fresh fruit or anything remotely healthy. There was no beach, no pools that we had access to, yoga once a week (which was cancelled when the instructor went on vacation) and what they called a gym was a 5ft by 10ft un-airconditioned joke. I had to share a room with a young woman that snored like a bear and spent the entire day in the room without even attempting to go to a group. The houses are unlocked at all times, which made me feel unsafe. I decided to leave after 2 weeks (I can’t believe I stuck it out that long). Once I informed them of my choice, the real craziness began. I was lied to repeatedly in order for them to try to get me to stay. They told me my insurance wouldn’t cover it unless I completed the program. Lie. They told me they talked to my husband (they wouldn’t allow me to call him) and that he said he wasn’t in agreement with me leaving and wouldn’t help me get home. I was floored by that. When I finally did get to talk to him, he confirmed that was a complete lie. They never even spoke to him. I went there to get off rx meds. They basically forced me to take over 7 different meds a day. While I was there, 4 former “patients” came back from relapsing. One even left one afternoon stating she was going to go get high. She was allowed back two days later. They make a big deal out of keeping what is said in group confidential, yet that was a joke. People there just sat around talking about each other. It was like being in high school. The whole experience was traumatizing. I’m still having nightmares about it. By the way, my insurance company did pay the $28k charged for the 14 days I was there. No wonder they wanted me to stay. They actually made me pack my things in the parking lot while the cab I called waited for me. I wouldn’t wish this on my worst enemy.
  • Art
    The treatment is the best you'll find. From counseling, therapy, nursing, group sessions, doctor's and just the overall curriculum. White sands gave me the tools to be successful in recovery. Again, thank it.
  • Anthony
    One day I was looking online for help for my alcoholism. I found WhiteSands treatment center and checked out the website looking for reviews or something about the place and ended up finding a video of a guy around my same age talking about his story and how WhiteSands helped him. I called and was there that night. My therapist and the techs were very helpful. All the staff played apart in helping me find myself. I’m very grateful that I picked up the phone that day and finally asked for help. WhiteSands saved everything for me. Definitely recommending WhiteSands to anyone who needs help. Give yourself a chance to change!
  • Holly
    If you are thinking about going to a treatment center, stop looking now! White Sands saved my life! You will not regret it! I promise!
  • BC
    Not a bad place if you enjoy staying in rundown motels while they are cutting concrete and creating a mess, or maybe if you enjoy standing in line for 6 hours to get your blood pressure checked, or if you weren't looking to actually meet with a counselor this place may be for you. But the greatest part of all is you will feel safe because there are armed guards on the premises at all times and the local K9 patrol comes in to "show the clients the dogs tricks". We yanked our patient out after 3 days and brought to better facility
  • Yvette
    White Sands definitely saved my life after 3 treatment centers why Sans is the only one that I took seriously the staff was amazing as well as the classes bhts was phenomenal thank you White Sands for all that you do I'm forever grateful
  • Suzanne
    learned coping skills to further my recovery, excellent discharge planning. the doctor is knowledgeable on detox medication. not enough staff to handle all the residents.
  • Brad
    White Sands did save my life but what i was told on the phone about all the amenities was a lie
    This facility was ok
  • Lf
    A close friend went here for six weeks and while he was there he wrote me a few times he seemed different ...I didn\'t know how to read it he did seem positive and like he had changed and was given hope for the future .. I was very optimistic. Then he came home six weeks later and was more of a mess then when he left .He kept saying he wasn\'t safe at home and they didn\'t tech him how to adjust and he was just overwhelmed and uncomfortable home.Two weeks after being home he started drinking worse tyan before and I received a text with a plane ticket saying he was going back for treatment. I assumed he had gone back to only receive information that he was arrested at the airport drunk and that white sands refused to take him back. Now he is in jail facing some serious charges. I\'m not a addict so I can\'t begin to understand but it\'s like he was brain washed there and then lost when he came back. He even turned away loved ones and shut us all out. I don\'t understand how they let you leave there if not ready makes me wonder if its all about the money .
  • Gore
    only cares about money!
    Strong support system & helps one understand their feelings and their mental illness of why they abuse drugs. As what my cousin explained. Cousin relapsed 3 times despite going there. They make people feel comfortable and it's a therapeutic environment from what I was told. Some have wonderful experience compared to others.
    Great Counseling. Need quiet room for your 10 min daily phone call to your love ones. This facility gave me the tools to remain sober. I would highly recommend to anyone with similar problems.
  • Mark
    Thank God for White Sands! Amazing
  • Kenna
    This place changed me for the better, I felt super comfy here and the people became like my family!
  • Luke
    I learned a lot about myself. It wasn\'t just all about drugs and alcohol They dug deep to find the problem.
  • AS
    I highly recommend White sands, if you want to get serious about your recovery. This place saved my life!
  • Edward
    This was absolutely the right place at the right time. Everyone on the staff was excellent and the facility as a whole is well run, clean and organized. I strongly recommend this treatment facility to anyone dealing with addiction. I have a new lease on life!
  • JAO
    I wouldn\'t change anything about my experience at White Sands. I felt cared for and supported from the moment I walked in. The staff were always attentive to my needs and are excellent to got to for advice. The process is life changing. I recommend coming here if you need help with drugs or alcohol abuse.
  • Megan
    White Sands helped me a lot they helped me see things in a different way, I came here and thought I understood my addiction, but with the help of my therapist and the groups I was able to see I was wrong. I was a basically a miserable broken person when I got here and now I\'ve been able to forgive myself.
  • Lori
    The intake counselor was a god sent when I called for my husband. He assured me that my insurance covers it and that they accept the insurance payment and do not bill you the balance. He was so kind that we both felt comfortable sending my husband there. This is where it gets bad. It is difficult to get ANYONE even the nurses\'s station on the phone. The therapist is unprofessional. She said that my husband wanted us to have a family session and for me to be involved in his recovery. I even started going to NAR anon just so I can understand a little better. Prior to my first visit,i was supposed to meet with the therapist and that never happened. When I started complaining,out of left field,i was advised that my husband revoked me. Now I understand about HIPPA,but it is wrong that no one at least returns a phone call. I even called the therapist's boss and she did not return a call either. I have no clue that status of my husband. I was not expecting them to call me for information specific to his recovery. But I did expect at least a courtesy return call. I got nothing but bills from this farce of a place. It is shameful that they treat people this way during such a critical and sad time. The biggest mistake of my life was taking my husband here. I would have been better off taking my chances at home doing nothing. This place is rude and unprofessional.
  • Jacob
    I came to this White Sands hopeless, weak, prideful, lost and afraid for my life. I had no idea who I was, I just new that I no longer wanted to be him. In this facility, I learned who I was, I learned what I had to do to no longer be that person, I learned who I wanted to be and I learned how to become that person. I am walking out the doors full of hope, full of strength, humble, excited for my life ahead of me and most importantly, I am walking out the doors the exact person that I want to be. When I struggle with the battles ahead of me, I know that with God\'s help, and with all the tolls I\'ve gained here, the war is already won.
  • Emily
    If you are looking for substance abuse treatment, take the first step and call White Sands. I had just gotten out of another treatment center and wanted to continue treatment for my opiate addiction. I was hesitant on which treatment center to choose, but am so lucky to have found White Sands! The clients, and staff were extremely helpful and made me feel right at home. If you want to change your life, come to White Sands!!
    My loved one was able to stop drinking and has abstained for about two years now. I think the program is very effective for a specific purpose. However, there was no change in the base addictive personality. Also, it was very difficult not to be able to speak with the patient while in treatment at times.
  • Georgina
    White Sands has changed my life. I arrived scared and a shell of the person I used to be. Hated myself and the concept of self-love did not exist. I have been an alcoholic for over 15 years and was watching my life disintegrate before my eyes. My time at White Sands has enabled me to see myself again. And walk with my head up. Wanting to live life to the fullest. I would not be able to do so without the amazing therapists, doctors, nurses and staff who taught, listened and cared. I have been lucky enough to have been to great schools. But this is the best education I have had. I listened and learnt every day. A great education is not just about going to a great school. It happens every day, interacting with people and just looking with clarity. With kindness and respect for all human beings. I am indebted to my fellow friends and patients for teaching me so much. I have left with a strong foundation and great tools that I apply a step at a time. The support from White Sands continues today. My friends are my rock. I now know it is possible to live life sober. Feeling again with great excitement about my future. A day at a time.
  • Mathew
    This place was very opening. I felt like I was gonna get the help I needed from the start. The staff here are very caring and helpful. The environment is awesome and easy to adjust to. I loved the time I was here and am very thankful.
  • Lauren
    White Sands Treatment Center is an amazing facility that really helped me get my life back on track and helped me a great deal with all my underlying issues that I was \"masking\' by using drugs and alcohol. Through the therapeutic groups as well as the MRT class, I now know who I am and have a clear direction of where I want to go in life. I am forever grateful to this program.
  • Josh B
    White Sands saved my life. They have given me the tools and coping strategies to help me with my addiction. Thank you to everyone who has helped me get on this road to recovery.
  • R
    Don't believe the lies. This place was horrible. For a $60,000 rehab you would expect there to be trained addiction specialists on staff. No, the only people who know what they are doing are the counselors. The majority of people who work there have never been addicts, make minimum wage and act like it is a huge inconvenience to even get you an extra blanket or make a phone call. Most people coming off drugs are going to be crabby so the staff should know how to handle that instead of getting angry. Meanwhile patients that aren't difficult seem to be allowed to keep electronics or other "contraband" that they keep from most people. The facility is also crawling with ants (including in the water glasses-yuck!) They say they want to help people but then if your insurance won't pay the full 45 day stay (which they are supposed to check before you get there) but they don't. I really felt like they didn't care about most of the patients and it was all about the money. I would recommend some place less expensive that has been in business for more than a couple of years.
  • Michele
    My experience with White Sands Treatment would be rated an F. I am the payee of my 22 year old child who attended treatment. I was led to believe the family would be included in the process of my son's recovery. That never happened due to HIPPA rights. So, if you are contemplating putting your child there who is over the age of 18, expect to throw your money (EXPENSIVE) out the window. You will receive no information on process, progress or diagnosis. ... I just spent three months of my hard-earned money for nothing. I would strongly suggest not using a facility that is not in your own vicinity and the doctors and therapists are willing to treat the addiction as a family issue. Very expensive lesson learned for me.
  • Eric
    I was 8 hours in and had no food, medical evaluation, or introduction. Initial evaluation led me to believe that the intake nurse was not certified due to the lack of knowledge about GABA receptors, benzo and alcohol combos, low B1, and folic acid. When I requested a multivitamin to combat the abuse I have done to my body their response was to breathalyze me. I went there voluntarily and after requesting to leave I was confronted for two more hours in addition to a "we don't have the key to get your stuff" excuse. Only after I mentioned lawyers and the police did my belongings get returned to me! Trust the people who don't take your credit cards or cash first. Rehabs are big businesses and I learned the hard way! Educate yourself, find an ally who has nothing to gain and make a plan!!
  • Veronica V.
    By far the highest levels of care. Comfortable & safe environment on a case by case basis for each individual's needs.
  • Eddie D.
    I was skeptical coming here at first, but after being here I realized I did the right thing. The overall experience here at White Sands was great. The employees were very knowledgeable and helpful. I would recommend White Sands to anyone.
  • Marissa
    White Sands Treatment Center is a five star treatment facility. The staff is friendly and they really truly care about each client. There are not enough good things to say about this place. There are many positive testimonials and so many wonderful success stories from those impacted. I definitely recommend White Sands for anyone looking for treatment!
  • Tony
    I feel that as a functional alcoholic, over 50, with a job, that my treatment should have been geared more for my needs and that all of my treatment should not have been with 19 to 20 something year old heroin, cocaine, benzo, etc; addicts. I loved them all and I learned a lot from them and I loved living with them. We had a blast, but from a rehab stand point, we had different needs. I felt like, as an over 50 client, that I was treated like a child. I also feel like they held back privileges too long. By the time we got out of detox and got them we felt like caged animals. And don't even get me started on the coffee rationing. You don't deprive alcoholics of coffee.
  • jd