Windmill Wellness Ranch in Canyon Lake, TX

26229 N. Cranes Mill Rd.
Canyon Lake TX 78133

Windmill Wellness Ranch Philosophy

Each person comes to us with a different set of wounds and circumstances. Windmill Wellness Ranch works to heal the entire individual, not just the addiction or behavior. We treat underlying issues, such as trauma, depression, anxiety, and other mental health or neurocognitive issues.

We treat the physical, mental, emotional, spiritual and relational health of the individual and family. We help you discover your authentic, whole self and bring your entire person into balance. Many of those that seek our help are “stuck”. They can’t imagine getting better, but at Windmill Wellness Ranch, we help them find their joy.

Our program is unlike any other. It is clinician owned and was designed by the most talented and experienced doctors, psychiatrists, clinicians and nurses in the field. In order to make long-term recovery certain, clinical components must be part of the recovery process.

These components include:

1. Master’s Level Clinicians - Why? Without a Master’s Level Clinical License, you cannot diagnosis or treat any underlying disorders. WWR has clinicians that are specialized in various disorders and trauma resolution.
2. Psychiatry is available daily to our clients
3. Genetic Testing - Most of those that seek our services have been given many medications to help with depression or anxiety. Most of the time the medications do not work, or stop working, and many report they feel like a “guinea pig”. WWR is conservative with medications, however if medication is needed genetic testing takes the guess work out of psychiatry and our psychiatrists know which medications will work with your metabolism.
4. EMDR - This is a rapid form of therapy that heals trauma. When trauma occurs, the body releases chemicals such as adrenaline. Trauma does not need to be a tragic event, it can be a childhood divorce or something that happened on the playground. EMDR resolves the trauma that grows as we age into depression, anxiety or both.
5. Having a compassionate environment and staff that understands that they are part of your healing process. Windmill Wellness Ranch is in a non-institutional home/ranch setting. This may sound silly, but a comfortable full mattress and well-appointed rooms make sleep better, which make healing and therapy better.
6. We empower clients to find activities which bring them purpose and well-being in recovery. We recognize that they need to fill the void left in the absence of substances with meaningful roles and occupation. This helps them regain their sense of purpose and direction.
7. PeakLogic PrTMS treatment – Treating the brain. Let’s face it, damage has been done to the brain as a result of use or trauma, and is sometimes organic. We can see and treat the brain with PeakLogic PrTMS. Each Client will receive an EEG upon admission.
8. Each client has a comprehensive assessment by a Master’s Level Clinician, which is paired with a medical and psychiatric provider that follows each client through their entire stay into aftercare. This process allows each clinical team following the client to build a treatment plan that encompasses all 6 dimensions of an individual. Each client is also assessed medically with a wellness panel to rule out any health conditions.
9. We truly offer “individualized care” and “Co-Occurring disorder treatment”
10. If you have anxiety or depression a medication is not just prescribed, we review the assessments and work with the client to determine where the anxiety and depression may have originated and if there was an event we work through that therapeutically. We don’t simply give you a pill and hope it works.
11. Medical/ Psychiatry and Master’s Level Clinical Team for each Client

• Client & Family Support Groups
    Group therapy is a vital component of addiction recovery treatment, considered as important and effective (sometimes even more so) than individual therapy. Benefits include reducing isolation and loneliness and providing the opportunity to learn from others in recovery. In the addiction setting, group therapy is run by trained professionals who guide participants toward a shared goal of recovery.

52-bed facility

4:1 staff to client ratio

Executive Chefs

Dmitry Listengarten, M.D.

MD Psychiatry

Dr. Listengarten has been practicing medicine since 1986 and he specializes in the field of psychiatry and addiction medicine. He is a Fellow of the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology and a Fellow of the American Board of Addiction Medicine. Throughout his career, he has focused on addictive disorders and treatment of co-occurring disorders. He has served as attending psychiatrist in several hospitals in Arizona and Texas. He served as Chairman of the Department of Psychiatry and the Director of Chemical Dependence Unit at HCA Methodist Specialty and Transplant Hospital. He continued his practice at San Antonio Behavioral Health Hospital and currently serves as Director of Chemical Dependence Unit. He also practices at Soba Texas providing psychiatric and chemical dependency consultations and treatment to patients in all levels of care.

Shannon Malish

CEO, LCSW

Shannon has a Master's degree from the University of Texas San Antonio in social work with an emphasis in addiction counseling. She is experienced in leading and directing substance use disorder treatment facilities. Her undergraduate degree is in Business Management from Azusa Pacific University. She works closely with Clinical staff to provide Evidence Based Practice models to address co-occuring disorders. As the wife of a police officer and military veteran, Shannon takes a special interest in trauma resolution. Shannon uses an integrative approach with patients and their families. Strengths-Based Practice is used where the inherent strengths of a person or family are assessed and built upon to aid in recovery and empowerment. This perspective along with Family Systems Theory and Ecological Theory emphasize that environmental factors play a part in development. She believes that a holistic approach to recovery is necessary for growth of the individual. Additionally, Solution Focused Therapy, Motivational Interviewing, EDMR and Cognitive Behavioral Therapy are tools that she uses in her practice to be culturally competent to work with a diverse group of clients.

ABOUT WINDMILL WELLNESS RANCH

Windmill Wellness Ranch (WWR) is a clinician-owned residential treatment center for adult men and women struggling with trauma, substance use, and/or co-occurring mental health disorder. Located in the beautiful hill country region of central Texas, just an hour south of Austin, WWR is one of just 81 (18.8 percent) centers in the state to offer residential treatment in a non-hospital setting. Programs consists of structured care plans that incorporate 12-step immersion, medical care, spirituality, and experiential therapies.

All treatment services at WWR are rooted in a holistic approach that incorporates evidence-based modalities such as family systems therapy, motivational interviewing, and cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT). Master’s level clinicians work by addressing the underlying beliefs and attitudes of each client, not just their external addictive habits and behaviors. In general, residents take part in roughly 30 hours of treatment programming a week.

While length of stay is based on need and therefore varies from client to client, the process typically begins with an initial clinician-led assessment that considers a variety of factors and health histories. The day usually begins with a brief meditation to help clients warm up to the busy day ahead. Throughout the week, clients may see opportunity for fitness and nutritional assessments, education and support for co-occurring disorders, relapse prevention training, art therapy, and family sessions.

Eye movement and desensitization reprocessing (EMDR) is available for clients seeking to address past or present trauma. Other available services include genetic testing and daily psychiatric/medical care.

Led and owned by a licensed clinical social worker, Windmill Wellness Ranch boasts a multidisciplinary treatment team of medical doctors, registered nurses, licensed chemical dependency counselors, art therapists, and other master’s level professionals. Chefs prepare nutritious, balanced meals daily.

Windmill Wellness Ranch is set on a private 75-acre property in the beautiful Texas Hill County, just over an hour southwest of Austin. With capacity to accommodate as many as 52 clients at a time, WWR is a dog-friendly campus that offers opportunity for hiking, yoga, and meditation. Smoking is permitted within a designated area on campus.

REVIEWS

While Rehabs.com has yet to receive any feedback from the center’s alumni, affiliated friends or family members, or staff, it does maintain an excellent record across secondary reviews sites. To date, Windmill Wellness Ranch boasts impressive average ratings of 4.9 and five out of five stars, respectively, from 23 Google reviewers and four Facebook users.[1][2]

Many described the facility and its staff as “amazing” while several credited the facility with saving their lives. As Google reviewer S.S. put it, “This is an amazing, magical place that saved my life... I would recommend this place to anyone who is suffering with grief, trauma or addiction like I was.”

One of just 271 (62.9 percent) facilities in the state of Texas to accept private health insurance plans, WWR also aims to help individuals seeking assistance “regardless of insurance.”

[2] https://www.facebook.com/pg/WindmillWellnessRanch/reviews/

Published on December 2018

G.C.

A truly comptehensive facility. Wonderful staff. Saved my life.

J.B.

Excelent facility

B.B.

I was treated like a human here and I’m so grateful for my stay. I tried many other treatment centers in Texas, but none of them came close to my experience at WWR. The staff is phenomenal, and many of them are in recovery as well so I was understood on a personal level. The food was great, the groups were very educational, the amenities (gym, pool, trails, all the way down to the bed I slept in) are top class, and the therapy (which is definitely individualized) was life changing. WWR gave me the tools that I needed to succeed outside of the treatment center. I went in there hopeless and ready to die, but left with purpose and inner peace. WWR is incredible!!!

Kathleen

This place and the people in it are angles. The therapist here made the correct diagnosis for the first time in my life. It basically has saved my life. They have taken the extra mile to help me. There are not enough words. They have also helped me financially in a big way. That has been a blessing for sure. No one has ever helped me the way they have. I truly believe they are sent from heaven.

Joe

This place is amazing the staff shows what client care really is!!! I am so blessed to work here!!

S.S.

My over all experience at Windmill Wellness Ranch was amazing. The staff and counselors went out of there way to treat not only addiction, but depression, anxiety, trauma and grief. I have over 2 years sober since going to Windmill and highly recommend it. It is phenomenal.

Rick

Great staff. In the beautiful Texas Hill country. Good walking trails. In-house and outside meeting. Recreational activities and fellowship at the nearby rivers and lake

Hannah

It was the best experience of my life thus far. The staff is amazing they saved my life. Everyone from the cook, techs, and counselor do everything in their power to help you! Highly recommend

K.S.

The staff and therapists go above and beyond to help you. When you are there and when you are about to leave, they help you transition into the reaal world.

A.H.

Windmill taught me the skills needed saved my life my Marriage and my Caeer. The staff is able to relate in real ways with the clients. The caring is real and continues even after I left the facility. At times think things are disorganized

Gary

ITMS and the best personalized treatment/wellness program that “works if you work it.” Strength: Individualized treatment. Weakness: Lack of insurance liability information up front.

B.H.

The staff at this facility are completely committed to seeing people get well. Not just sober, WELL! They get it. They treat everyone as individuals, with dignity, mercy, grace, humility, compassion, empathy and love. If you really want to get sober and get well, the opportunity is here.

K.S.

This is my first and I am totally impressed. The staff is outstanding and the treatment was great. They went the extra mile to help you. And if they did not know they would seek out other professionals for counsel.

I would have given 5s but every facility has room for improvement. WWR is well on it's way to be a top tier facility in the US. I have been clean and sober since recieving treatment there. Great staff, Clinical, Admin Medical Techs, All top notch. The facility is new and growing and with that comes challenges and learning with growth and focus.

Leah

I loved this facility with the exception of my counselor. He led my process group 3 days out of the week. He talks too much & he doesn�t seem to fully understand substance abuse/addiction. I didn�t agree with a majority of the things he chose to discuss during groups or his process groups. He was unorganized & would ask me the same questions over & over. He waited until the last minute to complete my discharge paperwork & even forgot to get my signature. I was flying out that morning. He�s a nice guy and means well, but I wish I had requested a different counselor earlier on at my stay there. The other counselors and staff are phenomenal. The ranch is set on beautiful land. Accommodations were great as well. PrTMS was very beneficial for me, although it is extremely expensive. Overall it was a great atmosphere and I�m very grateful I got the opportunity to go there. Great treatment opportunities. Great staff available for working the steps. Cleaning crew & meals provided. Allow clients to use phones every day. My specific counselor. Ranch is located so far out that it was strenuous going to outside meetings in San Antonio. Also they seem to be very understaffed as well.

Dominic

Very well taken care of and caring place. 10,10,10

Hannah

I am so grateful for WWR. I have been to many treatment centers in the last 10 years and I was a client at WWR two times the second when I was 3 months pregnant. Going to treatment is always scary but the staff and owner showed me soooo much compassion, love, comfort and every act of kindness you could imagine. I recommend this place to all who are seeking help. Not only is the facility nurturing and peaceful but the people there still hold such a huge place in my heart! I could go on and on. There is a woman who works in the front that has played such a huge part in my life and has loved on me so much. I honestly don�t know who or where I would be if it wasn�t and the others. I am eternally grateful and if my husband was allowed to live there with me I honestly would of never left!! Thank you windmill I am alive!!!The facility is amazing!!!! Very healing, peaceful and spiritual. Beautiful redone and everything is extremely nice and the beds were like heaven:) I think the men and women should be more separate.

shannon

The team at WWR is the best there is in TEXAS. The level of clinical and medical care is incredible. I have seen more people get better here and stay better. It is truly individualized. They are the most advanced scientifically. I was able to see my EEG and brain within 30 minutes, they are able to treat this with iTMS treatment and help with ADHD, Depression, Sleep issues, and ANXIETY! wish they had horses.

Melanie

This is the absolute best place I have ever worked. The staff is so compassionate and everyone works together as a team. There is so much love that goes into the care we provide our clients. I am so proud to be a part of the WWR family. Everyone who works at WWR understands the core values and philosophies of the WWR organization. Our clients are treated with respect and compassion. Client care is out number one priority. We are new so we are always changing. This is a challenge as clients thrive on consistency and structure. We have managed to minimize the impact on clients as everyone works together to facilitate change.

Sean

Truly a holistic facility. They focused on addiction, trauma, diet, fitness, anxiety, sleep, life skills, and the list goes on. Truly holistic, military-faceted. Marketing to get more people to learn about the amazing effects that 45 days can give you for the rest of your life.

Janice

Knowledgeable, caring staff, beautiful facilities. I was well cared for and highly recommend it. Caring, knowledgeable staff, cleanliness, comfortable facilities, beautiful indoor and outdoor accommodations, and great food. Few seating in Women's house, more art supplies needed, and lack of music therapy especially in meditation.

Allison

Staff is continually trying to make treatment as comfortable as it can be for clients. Staff actually cares what happens to the clients, aren't just here for a pay check. Staff could communicate more efficiently with each other.

John

This treatment center saved my life. There�s not a day that goes by by that I regret coming to this place. I came out of my shell and was able to share my strengths and weaknesses. I love the treatment center, but there could more consistency.

This place was a joke. The nursing staff is the laziest I have ever seen. Let me back up, two nurses were extremely caring and actually came and checked on me during my detox, took my vitals and offered me Gatorade or water. The rest of them sat behind the desk. The chef is not very friendly and to be honest rude most days. Not really what you want to deal with when your dope sick. The counselor are ok, but really don't take time for you. It's as if you're a burden when you reach out for help. I would never recommend this place to anyone. The grounds are beautiful and peaceful.

Hailey

Nursing staff talked poorly of patients to other patients, didn't understand my needs. Mostly friendly staff, awesome food. Counselors forget about appts with patients, don't understand other eating needs.

I have worked in several different treatment facilities over the last 8 years. Windmill is by far one the best facility I have ever had the opportunity to be employed at. Their modality of treatment, combined with strong ethics is what keeps me coming back. Windmill is driven by compassion for the person who is suffering from substance use disorder. Windmill has a variety of services that extended beyond traditional treatment. Clients have access to a multitude of services that include physical training, yoga, massage, meditation, and cosmetology services. Windmill could strengthen in the area of offering more lean protein options at their meals.

julia

Serene. Clinical, environment, full program.

Debbie

We treat the physical, mental, emotional, spiritual and relational health of the individual and family. We help you discover your authentic, whole self and bring your entire person into balance. Many of those that seek our help are �stuck�. They can�t imagine getting better, but at Windmill Wellness Ranch, we help them find their joy. We empower clients to find activities which bring them purpose and well-being in recovery. We recognize that they need to fill the void left in the absence of substances with meaningful roles and occupation.

Windmill is an amazing place to work. The staff is all highly trained and miracles are happening here, no doubt about it. We offer highly educated and trained staff in all departments.

Glenn

The place that gave me my life back. the staff is world class and always there to help you. The only weakness I can think of is that sometimes they are too caring.

Rene

I have witnessed many clients recovering in many ways at Windmill Wellness Ranch. Everything from substance/alcohol abuse, ptsd ,depression, anxiety and other diagnoses. Windmill meets each client with compassion and support. Many clients who have been to other treatment centers notice the difference and nurturing environment they receive at Windmill Wellness Ranch. The clinical/medical staff is outstanding and has the highest level of credentials. The tech staff brings years of experience to promote healing and growth in recovery. The facility is constantly improving and growing.