Just like cities across the country, Delray Beach, Florida, is experiencing high rates of substance abuse.
In 2016, a total of 405 people in Palm Beach County died with cocaine in their system. Cocaine was the direct cause of death in 291 of these cases.1 Just one year before, cocaine killed 109 people, meaning there was a 166% increase in the number of cocaine-caused deaths.1
Before you enter a rehab program, it can be beneficial to first undergo medical detox. It’s in medical detox that your withdrawal will be managed safely as the drugs clear from your system. Medical professionals will monitor your progress to make everything goes as smoothly as possible.
You can then begin the process of healing in a drug rehab program. Of course, just because you’ve gone through detox doesn’t mean you won’t experience cravings. In some cases, rehab centers can use a number of different pharmacotherapies to ease your cravings and lessen any protracted withdrawal symptoms you might be experiencing.
For opioid addiction, some of these medications are:2
- Methadone, reduces cravings and, because of cross-tolerance, can minimize the effects of any other concurrently used opioids .
- Buprenorphine, which can lessen your withdrawal symptoms and reduce cravings without getting you high.
- Naltrexone, which blocks the rewarding effects of opioids.
Medications to help with alcohol addiction include:2
- Naltrexone, which minimizes the reinforcing effects of alcohol and may help reduce alcohol cravings.
- Acamprosate, which decreases your protracted withdrawal symptoms.
- Disulfiram, which produces very unpleasant effects if you drink while taking it.
Choosing the best rehab center for you can be tricky, which is why we’re here to help. We’ve compiled a directory of both Delray Beach rehab centers and out-of-state rehab centers to provide you with as many treatment options as possible. Browse our directory today to find the center that meets your needs.
- University of Florida Health. Florida Drug-Related Outcomes Surveillance and Tracking System (FROST).
- National Institute on Drug Abuse. (2018). Principles of Drug Addiction Treatment: A Research-Based Guide (Third Edition).
Looking for Outpatient Treatment Centers in Florida? Outpatient treatment describes all addiction treatment that is not residential. Patients live at home while undergoing rehab.