Elizabeth, NJ, struggles with high rates of heroin and alcohol abuse, both of which can be treated at nearby addiction treatment centers. Elizabeth is the largest city in Union County, where heroin treatment admissions outnumber alcohol treatment admissions. Roughly 37% of rehab admissions in Union County are for heroin, while 33% are for alcohol. However, in Elizabeth, alcohol admissions are slightly higher than that of heroin at 35% versus 33%, respectively.1
Substance use disorders for alcohol, heroin, cocaine, and all other drugs can be treated at Elizabeth rehab centers using detoxification, therapy, and other evidence-based treatments. Detox helps you withdraw from drugs and alcohol under direct medical supervision, so you benefit from a reduced risk for complications, while therapy helps you overcome negative thoughts and behaviors and other root causes driving your addiction.
Benefits of receiving detox and addiction therapy include: 2
- Overcoming drug and alcohol dependence along with cravings for these substances.
- Withdrawing from drugs and alcohol while surrounded by experienced medical staff.
- Facing a reduced risk for withdrawal complications, such as seizures or hallucinations (in the event of alcohol or sedative withdrawal).
- Identifying and overcoming triggers that cause drug and alcohol use.
- Bonding with peers in recovery, as well as at 12-step support groups and group therapy sessions.
- Setting a new daily routine that doesn’t involve drug and alcohol use.
- Discovering new interests that fill the time you previously spent using drugs and alcohol.
Addiction treatments can be tailored to meet your specific recovery needs, so you have a greater chance of achieving long-term sobriety. For instance, if you suffer from a dual diagnosis of alcohol use disorder and PTSD, dual diagnosis rehab in Elizabeth’s facilities can help you overcome these issues using detox, addiction therapy, and trauma-focused therapy.3
If you need help recovering from addiction, use our rehab center directory to find nearby treatment centers. Elizabeth rehab centers can help you recover from drug and alcohol addiction to achieve a healthier, drug-free lifestyle.
- State of New Jersey. (2016). Substance Abuse Overview 2016 Union County.
- Hugh Myrick, M.D., and Raymond F. Anton, M.D. (1998). Treatment of Alcohol Withdrawal. Alcohol Health and Research World, 22(1), 38–43.
- Berenz, Erin C., Coffey, Scott F., (2012). Treatment of Co-occurring Posttraumatic Stress Disorder and Substance Use Disorders. Current Psychiatry Reports. 14(5) 469–477.